Windows 7 On Old Hardware

Guest Reimar

Guest Reimar

Plus:

Windows 7 RC will be available for download from May 5. onward!

In the meantime you can still apply for an Win 7 Key at Microsoft website! That key can be used with the RC as well and will be good till March 2010!

Cheers.

I know some some people love linux and bash windows but there is no way xp or vista as an operating system is the cause of 5 minute boot times, 512 was never enough to run either os. too many people think progress in software and hardware should be held back to support legacy systems, ms's mistake with vista was too much for the masses of older computers to run but that is why win 7 is so popular they have redesigned vista (yes thats what 7 is) to be more backwards compatible. Will I switch from vista to 7 ? Sure the first day the final stable release comes out.

Hi :o

I mentioned it before - i'm not bashing any OS, i am just stating my experiences (or lack thereof) with them. I will definitely get Windows 7 IF i can afford it - a Panthip-version is no option and the RC is time-limited, sure there are ways around that but i want a genuine OS at least. I like to install an OS and then simply forget about it and use it.... like Ubuntu, i'm not updating every version that comes along (they have new ones every 6 months!) but i DO test them on a second computer that is not mission-critical. Same with Win 7 - if i get it i'll install it on my boyfriend's laptop and then simply keep it there - no interest in using a time-limited version that has to be removed after some months (except if Microsoft offers the possibility to upgrade from RC to full via the install media).

About the RAM/graphics, that laptop at least has dedicated graphics RAM, 128 MB of it, so the graphics should be sufficient for Aero. RAM cab be upgraded, i think it takes max. 2 GB. I remember few years ago when you could buy computers here that came with the latest and fastest Pentium-IV processors and Windows XP - and had 128 MB of RAM and on-board graphics that took 32 MB of that away:) SVOA ring a bell? Horribly slow those things...... but then my office used to have a whole truckload of workstations, Celeron 600's with 128 MB as well (and 8 MB on-board graphics, those were Compaq's and Toshibas) which ran XP as well..... wanna see a slow computer..? Norton 2003 on them and we are talking about a speed comparable with a C64.

@Plus

Do you have that sort of ADSL connection that you have to connect manually, i.e. "dial up" to it (PPPOE)? Have you tried to set the modem to connect automatically? And what sort of modem, i.e. USB or with a LAN connection? I personally have a router which goes online as soon as i switch the UPS on, by the time the computer is started the router is online and i have internet immediately as router and PC are hooked up via LAN cable (and my boyfriend's laptop via the router's wireless part). I have given both computers static IP's in order to forward ports on the router and of course to enable file sharing between him and me (Samba).

Best regards.....

Thanh

Its nice to know that windows 7 is tring to run the old hardware and software.  That was my biggest problem with MS and vista and the lose of XP up coming.  What I would have to give up for vista was not worth paying for vista as well.  This is a smarter way for them to go and they must have got the e mails I v been spaming them with.   :o  I ll pay for a new window system if it runs my old stuff.

Guest Reimar
Its nice to know that windows 7 is tring to run the old hardware and software.  That was my biggest problem with MS and vista and the lose of XP up coming.  What I would have to give up for vista was not worth paying for vista as well.  This is a smarter way for them to go and they must have got the e mails I v been spaming them with.   :o  I ll pay for a new window system if it runs my old stuff.

Just give Win 7 a try. The key you still can get from MS! That key is good till March 2. 2010. The RC will be available to the public from May 5. onward.

15-20 years old software is still running, the one I tested an run now again: Windows Draw 3 and Image Pals 2. Old Hardware as well!

Cheers.

Thanh, yes, it's a PPPOe over adsl, it needs to be dialled up from the OS, it's a free True modem they give you when you sign up for them.

In XP I pin dial up to the user start menu, so it automatically starts when the desktop is completely up and modem is ready by that time.

Guest Reimar
Thanh, yes, it's a PPPOe over adsl, it needs to be dialled up from the OS, it's a free True modem they give you when you sign up for them.

In XP I pin dial up to the user start menu, so it automatically starts when the desktop is completely up and modem is ready by that time.

I do not understand why you guy's use the Modem from TRUE?! It has an TRUE modified Firmware and is limited with it's functions! Better to spend a bit money (1-2K) and buy an virgin Modem/Router with full functions and abilities!

And in case you use the HighSpeed Navigator you get an Backdoor Trojan for FREE from TRUE!

Cheers.

I do not understand why you guy's use the Modem from TRUE?! It has an TRUE modified Firmware and is limited with it's functions! Better to spend a bit money (1-2K) and buy an virgin Modem/Router with full functions and abilities!

And in case you use the HighSpeed Navigator you get an Backdoor Trojan for FREE from TRUE!

Cheers.

If you contact Huawei and tell them you're creating firmware for your ISP, testing their products, etc. they will occasionally give you the unmodified firmware, from what i have been told. I haven't tested this myself.

OTOH, i'm just running the modem in bridge mode so what functionality am i really losing? i'd much rather manage everything from my router which is far more capable.

Hi :o

Yeah that kind of connection is a pain in the behind. Which modem is it - Huawei SmartAX or Billion? If Billion - crap, if Huawei - doable. Find out what's the modem's IP - should be 192.168.1.1. Assign your computer a static (fixed) IP, such as 192.168.1.2, then open your browser and type this address:

http://192.168.1.1

If the modem supports modification/settings, you will be greeted with an admin login - it will ask for a user name and password. You have to try a few - such as:

admin/admin, Admin/Admin, admin/(blank), admin/TRUE, admin/true etc... get the idea? If you can log in, search through it's options (depends on modem model) and see if you can get it to connect automatically (auto-connect or some such). You will need to enter your True details somewhere, too, for that to work.

The best though would be to get a modem-router - it's what i did. Write down your True details (user name/password) and go to Panthip, get yourself a modem-router - i recommend (due to good experiences) D-Link, but there are others that aren't bad. You may get one that includes wireless, for example if you also have a laptop, you can have both online at the same time.... the one i use is a D-Link DSL-G604T and i am VERY happy with it, it did cost roughly 3,000 Baht. In the shop where you buy it get them to set it up for you (requires your True details) and at home it's then "plug in - works". Then you don't need to dial up anymore and you can hook up any computer that's got a LAN connection, regardless what OS, they will be online as soon as the OS has booted.

The router has a firewall included which adds an extra layer of security, too. Keep in mind that, to use Bit Torrent, you will need to forward ports - instructions are available online, depending on what model of modem-router you get.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Guest Reimar

Cheers.

If you contact Huawei and tell them you're creating firmware for your ISP, testing their products, etc. they will occasionally give you the unmodified firmware, from what i have been told. I haven't tested this myself.

OTOH, i'm just running the modem in bridge mode so what functionality am i really losing? i'd much rather manage everything from my router which is far more capable.

It's quite a big difference to use an Modem/Router Combi or separate Modem and Router!

Thanks for replies,

Win7 - will wait for May 5

True modem - I'm aware of their Navigator issues, I remember that thread

Login to that Billion doesn't work, True must have overwritten it (acc. to billion support it's admin/admin and it doesn't work, nor any other true/true combination). That's the only working box here, I don't want to screw it up.

Buying a new box - where's the challenge in that? I've salvaged all necessary hardware already, everything works, under WinXP. Spending money to get Linux working is against the whole philosophy.

Next step - I've got another, old Huawei true modem that they say won't work anymore (and it doesn't). I'll try to reset it to factory settings and flash firmware, that sounds like fun, almost like setting up virtualbox, in vain, for the fifth time.

Oh, no firmware updates for Huawei, they just don't do it, and True has left a sticker with expiration date for that free modem offer, that's why it doesn't work anymore, I guess.

Nevermind, I haven't exhausted all linux capabilities yet - I want to know why it tells me I have not network cards, for example. Does it know something I don't?

The result of windows 7 are very countable and good to hear that Vista Jinx is avoided.

1. Are vista drivers supported in Windows 7? or there should be separate drivers?

2. SATA driver are included in installation?

I downgraded my HP laptop from Vista to XP, it took me almost 1 week to find the drivers, and still there are minor glitches of not having correct drivers.

I am waiting for official release on Windows 7 (which is due in next week)

I already got the legalized version of Vista... again have to pay for windows 7... dam_n!!!!!!!

Guest Reimar
The result of windows 7 are very countable and good to hear that Vista Jinx is avoided.

1. Are vista drivers supported in Windows 7? or there should be separate drivers?

I didn't have any problems even with older Drivers!

2. SATA driver are included in installation?

Yes!

I downgraded my HP laptop from Vista to XP, it took me almost 1 week to find the drivers, and still there are minor glitches of not having correct drivers.

I am waiting for official release on Windows 7 (which is due in next week)

It's the RC (Release Candidate) which will be released on May 5. to the public, NOT the Final version!

I already got the legalized version of Vista... again have to pay for windows 7... dam_n!!!!!!!

The answers are between the lines.

Cheers.

XP

i run two anti virus progs, a firewall, an apache server, an mysql database, a bt client, and run autogk at the same time with no noticable speed decrease

if you defrag often, have a couple of good sata hds one for os, 4gb mem, and don't load a lot of crap on your pc then it should be fine

but I am waiting for win7 to hit the shelves then get a copy from all i have read it looks like the best so far