Southampton Relegated

thaimiller

SOUTHAMPTON were last night dumped into League One — after being docked 10 points.

Saints, who plan to appeal against the decision, will play in the third tier of English football next season for the first time since 1960.

Administrator Mark Fry said: “We co-operated with the Football League but they seem to have stretched the rules. Our lawyers will contest this.”

Southampton claim it was their parent company Southampton Leisure Holdings plc — and not the club — which went into administration earlier this month.

But the Football League yesterday ruled the club and the holding company were “inextricably linked as one economic entity”.

If Saints — managed by Mark Wotte — avoid relegation to League One this season the points will then be taken away, effectively condemning them as they stand four points off safety.

And, if they are already down, they will start next season in League One minus 10 points.

A League spokesman said: “The holding company has no income of its own. All revenue and expenditure is derived from the operation of Southampton Football Club and the associated stadium company.”

Many fans still blame former chairman Rupert Lowe who was first in charge from 1996 to 2006, when the club was relegated to the Championship.

He returned as chairman of the club’s parent company in May last year, quitting earlier this month when it went into administration.

Saints supporter Sam Dalton said: “I blame Lowe for all this.

"He sold players for huge sums and did not invest in replacements and then put the plc into administration thinking we would not be docked the points. Now he has got us relegated.”

It's the FA punishment that annoys me, how can giving a team in trouble a -10 point start to the next season help???

Look at Luton this year, in trouble before, now non-league and in more trouble.

Im a Rotherham fan and although we started with -17 this year we have done very well and survived, but without the -17 we would have been up with the promotion candidates at least a playoff spot would have been available, but through the FA actions we have no chance of this, so another season in the 4 tier and less people coming through the turnstiles, so in effect less money to the club, so we are still in trouble.

Then look at the big clubs, all millions in debt, I agree with (I never thought i'd say this) Wenger, big clubs should not be able to buy players until they are out of debt. The smaller clubs get transfer blocks put on the club so they can't buy players if they are in financial difficulties.

1 rule for 1 and 1 for another, The FA should be ashamed of themselves.

i don't disagree either. what happened to luton, leeds and now saints is harsh and the big clubs do seem to be immune to it. liverpool, united and chelsea are all hundreds of millions in debt but don't suffer any penalties for it.

i don't disagree either. what happened to luton, leeds and now saints is harsh and the big clubs do seem to be immune to it. liverpool, united and chelsea are all hundreds of millions in debt but don't suffer any penalties for it.

The difference is ManU, Liverpool, Chelsea are servicing their debt...... just!

The other teams have been giving themselves an unfair advantage in the League by spending money they have been unable to repay, if there was no punishment all teams would rack up even more debt buying players they couldnt afford and when things go tits up just go into administration.

I believe if these 10 points dont relegate them this season theyll be taken off next season.

What happened to Luton was a joke they should have just relegated them and now Luton would more then likely be going back up a division as opposed to down one.

Maybe they should make the punishment automatic relegation, as this unfair advantage teams are giving themselves may well have relegated another team.

The logic and timing defies belief. What chance have Southampton now got of attracting large crowds for their remaining games? Their going to lose income at a time when the club has financial problems. D'oh.

Last game away to us....no chance to raise any cash.

Yes, I agree, why put them 10 in the hole to start next season? It's like when you get charged for going over your overdraft at the bank. You're obviously in a bad financial state so how does more penalties to pay help you? You better hope they keep above the drop zone the next two matches so they can at least start on even footing, albeit it in a lower league. Quite a fall for the Saints, too bad for them.