Opening A New Bank Account In Thailand

Greetings,

Is this Kasikorn Branch open on a sunday ?

can't find anywhere ??

Kasikorn Bank , cnr of Sukh soi 33 & Sukh rd, rt by Phrom Phong BTS Skytrain

No, this branch, like all high street branches is only open Monday to Friday. The only branches that open at weekends are those in shopping centres.

Any tips which mall or tesco or big c are more than welcom?

As with all banks it's really the luck of the draw, maybe try one of the bigger branches, Siam Paragon or Central World as they are more likely to be used to dealing with foreigners, cannot give you any guarantee though.

Thanks

Any tips which mall or tesco or big c are more than welcom?

AS OG says it's the luck of the draw, but if you really get stuck (which I doubt you will) head for lower Sukhumvit, the Bangkok Bank on Suk/soi 10 sees tourists open accounts by the shed load.

Are there any monthly/annual costs for a Thai bank account or will the bank want to see regular transferrals? I'm only here for four months (uni).

You will have to pay a couple of hundred Baht if you want a Debit/ATM card, withdrawals are free providing it's in the same district and paying a bill

via the Internet will cost 10/20 Baht. Apart from that no fees, they are savings accounts.

Thanks a bunch and that branch is open only monday to friday right

If your talking about the Bangkok Bank which Chiang Mai refers to, I think that's a branch so open Mon to Fri.

The banks in Paragon and Central World are seven days a week.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Thanks guys

So i think i will head to a big C or Tesco or did somebody managed to open a account on a tourist in mbkk, siam etc etc?

My guess is that it will be easier in the Central Business District, Silom in particular, there's lots of foriegn consultants and overseas business visitors in and out of the banks there so they will likely have less problem with your request. Take the skytrain to Din Daeng and wander around the banks towards the Rama IV end of Silom, should be a breeze.

1. All international transfers into Thailand are routed primarily through Bangkok Bank regardless of the end-destination bank.

Is that mean all other Thai banks have additional fee for incoming transfer, especialy when it comes to account in bahts? I tryed Kasikorn and excange rate to baht seems they have extra fee or maybe intermidiate bank took it. I' m sure sender paid all fees till Thailand.

How to open account in Bangkok Bank. Is it manager related or they have strictly rules?

Usually, it's the Thai bank branches located in malls that tend to be open on weekends, and later in the evening during weekdays. That would include Central Silom/Silom Complex at Saladaeng BTS.

Most regular bank branches (as opposed to currency exchange booths) aren't open on Saturdays or Sundays.

Thanks but are there banks in silom that are open on sundays?

Siam Parogon is only a couple of stops on the BTS, they are certainly open on a Sunday, but as TallGuyJohninBKK says, if there is a branch in the Silom Centre, and I think there is, that would be open on a Sunday.

I think you would have less problem with one of these mall branches than with the ones in Tesco or Big C.

As Git says, almost all of the Thai banks are represented at Siam Paragon as well...

Same is true at CentralWorld just a bit down the road, halfway between Siam and Chidlom BTS stations.

And all of the branches there are open on weekiends.

At Paragon, most of the branches are located in the basement/lower level floor. At Silom Complex, I believe they're all clustered together on the 4th floor.

Thanks for all the info but which mall gives a higher succeed garantee to get the account open on a tourist visa?

How about the banks in mbk ?

Nobody can give a guarantee, you have been given plenty of suggestions, you now need to try them for yourself, good luck and let us know how you get on.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I don't think there's any particular locational issue the weighs on a farang's likelihood of being able to open a Thai bank account with a tourist visa. It's probably more going to be a factor of which bank company you end up dealing with.

Last time I checked, BKK Bank's policy, as stated on their web site, said they would open savings accounts for farangs with tourist visas.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

Other members here over time also have reported good success in dealing with Kasikorn Bank.

Either of those would be a good starting place.

The thing you'll probably find a greater likelihood of in the major central BKK malls -- as opposed to the regular branches -- is being able to deal with an English speaking customer service rep. That's always a good first step.

I'm planning to purchase a condo in Thailand when I return in March. Is there any way to set up a Thai bank account from overseas or do you have to do everything in person? Is the 30day visa exempt stamp enough to get the account (not mentioned in the Bangkok bank link) or do you need a Tourist visa? I'll be purchasing and then leaving again within the 30 day period so I have no need for a Tourist Visa. Thanks for any advice.

I'm planning to purchase a condo in Thailand when I return in March. Is there any way to set up a Thai bank account from overseas or do you have to do everything in person? Is the 30day visa exempt stamp enough to get the account (not mentioned in the Bangkok bank link) or do you need a Tourist visa? I'll be purchasing and then leaving again within the 30 day period so I have no need for a Tourist Visa. Thanks for any advice.

I've never heard of anyone opening up an account whilst overseas, I don't think you can. As for opening an account without a visa in your passport I suspect that you might be able to do so though you might have to visit a couple of branches before you can do so, I certainly did it but that was about eight years ago.

As Git said, I know of no way to open a Thai bank account overseas... unless you happened to be located where BKK Bank has one of its overseas branches and that branch would open accounts. But that second part is problematic. The New York branch in the U.S., for example, won't open personal accounts. I can't speak to their London branch. And in the past, a BKK Bank rep here on TV reported that the foreign branches aren't set up for that function.

As for opening the account inside Thailand on a visa exempt entry, anything's possible in the wild, wacky world of Thai retail banking. But it's likely to be difficult, if possible at all, and likely involve A LOT of branch hunting. Since you have time before your trip, why not get a tourist visa ahead of time and make your banking life a whole lot easier. Tourist visas are easy to get and not expensive, compared to the time and hassle you'll likely spend trying to get a bank account without one.

BTW, without any existing bank account in Thailand, how were you planning to handle (get into the country) the funds needed to make your planned condo purchase?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

As Git said, I know of no way to open a Thai bank account overseas... unless you happened to be located where BKK Bank has one of its overseas branches and that branch would open accounts. But that second part is problematic. The New York branch in the U.S., for example, won't open personal accounts. I can't speak to their London branch. And in the past, a BKK Bank rep here on TV reported that the foreign branches aren't set up for that function.

As for opening the account inside Thailand on a visa exempt entry, anything's possible in the wild, wacky world of Thai retail banking. But it's likely to be difficult, if possible at all, and likely involve A LOT of branch hunting. Since you have time before your trip, why not get a tourist visa ahead of time and make your banking life a whole lot easier. Tourist visas are easy to get and not expensive, compared to the time and hassle you'll likely spend trying to get a bank account without one.

BTW, without any existing bank account in Thailand, how were you planning to handle (get into the country) the funds needed to make your planned condo purchase?

Well I won't be remitting any funds without a bank account which is why I need to set one up! I didn't think you could open an account from overseas, but as with everything Thai, there is probably someone out there who has managed to do it. I guess the safest option is to get a Tourist Visa as you suggested, but obviously I'd prefer the path of least resistance.

Anyone know of specific banks in Pattaya that will open an account with a visa exempt stamp?

You might want to consider posting that final question above as a separate thread and post in the Pattaya community forum here on ThaiVisa, where it probably would be seen by those most likely to have any answer.

As for the tourist visa, I guess it depends on how you define "path of least resistance." You're probably more likely to spend more time and hassle hunting around for an accommodating bank on a visa exempt entry than you would applying for a tourist visa in the U.S. And if you happen to be in Texas, be aware there's a very helpful Thai Hononary Consulate located in Houston.

Lastly, you want to make sure you familiarize yourself with the correct procedures for bringing money into Thailand for purchasing a condo. If you don't handle it correctly and get the proper documents issued to you when you bring in your money, you could find it very difficult in the future to get those funds back out of Thailand if you ever were to sell your condo in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Something a little different:

I have just extended my retirement visa and for the first time did it with 800kb in the bank, previously I have done it on income but having to go to the embassy in BKK each year to prove income got a bit of a pest.

I have the 800kb+ in a SCB savings acc and thought I might as well get a bit more interest so went to put the 800k on a term deposit.

Very little English spoken at the branch here so the lady went along, I thought it would be a formality as I already have an account at the bank with the money in it, not so.

Seems the branch here have never done this before and they are being ultra cautious and have been calling and faxing papers back and forward to "Head office" for the last two days.

They have a pile of paper with instructions and questions, they have been asking things like; 'where is this money coming from, we need proof of your income' the money is coming from a savings acc in your bank, oh yes, back to call HO again.

'You dont have the correct visa in your passport', 'they dont give you a new visa each year only an extention, see here it is', back to call HO again.

The girl I usually deal with would like to just go ahead and put the money on TD and is trying to do the best she can for me but is afraid of getting into strife.

I told them today "just give me the money I will go to another bank" but they are not keen on that and asked me to give them another day to sort it out, I said OK and now wait to see what happens tomorrow.

That's interesting Robby, I had a similar experience when I moved from Hua Hin to Bangkok six years ago.

I tried to transfer my account from Hua Hin to a branch in Bangkok and they said I couldn't do so without a work permit, the fact I already had an account with their bank and just wanted to move it to their branch fell on deaf ears, they wouldn't budge. I said OK I will close the account and open an account elsewhere, they gave me my cash without blinking an eyelid, in excess of 1m Baht, and a walked across the road to Kasikorn and opened my account in minutes. In hindsight it was a silly thing to do.

I do wonder how future retirees will be able to prove their 800K deposit if they cannot open an account.

Something a little different:

I have just extended my retirement visa and for the first time did it with 800kb in the bank, previously I have done it on income but having to go to the embassy in BKK each year to prove income got a bit of a pest.

I have the 800kb+ in a SCB savings acc and thought I might as well get a bit more interest so went to put the 800k on a term deposit.

Very little English spoken at the branch here so the lady went along, I thought it would be a formality as I already have an account at the bank with the money in it, not so.

Seems the branch here have never done this before and they are being ultra cautious and have been calling and faxing papers back and forward to "Head office" for the last two days.

They have a pile of paper with instructions and questions, they have been asking things like; 'where is this money coming from, we need proof of your income' the money is coming from a savings acc in your bank, oh yes, back to call HO again.

'You dont have the correct visa in your passport', 'they dont give you a new visa each year only an extention, see here it is', back to call HO again.

The girl I usually deal with would like to just go ahead and put the money on TD and is trying to do the best she can for me but is afraid of getting into strife.

I told them today "just give me the money I will go to another bank" but they are not keen on that and asked me to give them another day to sort it out, I said OK and now wait to see what happens tomorrow.

When you say SCB, do you mean Standard Chartered or Siam Commerical, if the former then the branches outside of Bangkok are controlled very tightly by Bangkok head office.