Opening A New Bank Account In Thailand

I live in Asok, married to Thai.

The first day I settled down here, we have visited local kasikorn branch. No work permit = No bank account, however, Marriage certificate = gives you bank account.

A few days ago, I wanted to open another bank account at Krungsri / Bank of Ayuttdha because I heard they open bank accounts fo Farangs easeri. So I went to Asok branch with my wife and marriage certificate as backup measure. They didn't open account. When my wife told them that we are married, they asked "how long?". Somehow these stupids want minimum 2 years of marriage how ridicilus is that? So I went to bangkok bank and they opened without problem (with marriage certificate again).

• 4 weeks later...

so now no Banks will let you pen an account? I have one at K bank, had it for years and was thinking to open another to use with Pay Pal, thought a different bank might be better to avoid confusing the two. before I just used my passport only, I even have a K Bank credit card, I put 100K in a special account and they gave me the credit card.

Generally speaking, you don't need to be married to a Thai or have a work permit in order to open a new bank account... although, there seems to be a high degree of variability from one branch to another even within the same bank company. And having a work permit certainly does help smooth the way.

Normally, just a long-term visa like a retirement visa or extension of stay should suffice. If you get turned down at one branch, just try another branch or another bank nearby...

Here, for example, is BKK Bank's rules on such things...

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Foreign%20Customers/Pages/Opening%20an%20account%20new.aspx#11

I went to the Kasikorn Bank branch at Phrom Prong yesterday hoping to open an account to deposit monies for retirement visa " extension to stay".

Although the discussion was very friendly I was bounced away.

1st Issue,They wanted to see a work permit,I explained I was on a non immigrant `O` visa and wanted to deposit monies etc,for retirement/extension to stay....no joy with that.

2nd Issue,I was asked why I was applying so far away from where I live,I live near Mo Chit.,so told to apply at local branch.

3rd Issue. Was told I would need a Thai National to guarantee me" !!!

I dressed smart,well groomed and was very polite throughout.

So,I will try another branch,just thought I would post my experience

^^^^^

Your experience with Kasikorn is quite unusual, they are normally one of the more "farrang friendly" banks.

So let's get this right, you want to deposit money with them and they want a Thai National to guarantee you, to guarantee what exactly I wonder?

^^^^^

Your experience with Kasikorn is quite unusual, they are normally one of the more "farrang friendly" banks.

So let's get this right, you want to deposit money with them and they want a Thai National to guarantee you, to guarantee what exactly I wonder?

I agree,I thought is was strange,I did not understand the "guarantee" question,but the lady,while being polite,seemed to just be looking for a reason to reject me,so I thought best to smile and leave.If I dont get any joy at another branch maybe I will return and hopefully see a different member of their staff.

That's very odd and unusual, especially for Kasikorn...

Re the WP, I've often been asked for that as an opening request... But then whenever I explain that I instead have a retirement extension/one year visa, the different banks have always been fine...

And I've never encountered a Thai bank that cared about the location of the branch vs. the location of a person's home...

Re the "guarantee" by a Thai national, some of the banks do have an item talking about a "letter of recommendation or referral" from a Thai national just basically vouching for you... not any kind of financial guarantee. But that's usually asked for in the absence of other qualifying things.... like passport, national/state ID card, correct visa, etc.

I think you unfortunately got a bad apple on a bad day...

I went to the Kasikorn Bank branch at Phrom Prong yesterday hoping to open an account to deposit monies for retirement visa " extension to stay".

1st Issue,They wanted to see a work permit,I explained I was on a non immigrant `O` visa and wanted to deposit monies etc,for retirement/extension to stay....no joy with that.

2nd Issue,I was asked why I was applying so far away from where I live,I live near Mo Chit.,so told to apply at local branch.

seemed to just be looking for a reason to reject me,so I thought best to smile and leave.If I dont get any joy at another branch maybe I will return and hopefully see a different member of their staff.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there, if they are not sure of the procedure they will sometimes look for a reason to decline your request, rather than losing face by admitting the fact or asking somebody else for help.

• 3 weeks later...

In my experience... ignore all banks except Kasikorn Bank.

I have 4 Kasikorn accounts, 2 in Phuket (one for my Thai son), one in Pattaya & another in Bangkok. The first account was easy to open with my address on a Business Card of where I lived and the accounts afterwards I have been asked for a Work Permit which I kindly smile & reply that 'I don't need that' and show that I already hold Kasikorn Bank accounts.. they have always then happily assisted.

A friend of mine tried to open an account at the Asoke Branch and was told now.. he went to a less touristy area close to where I live & was given the account with no questions...

When I was previously married I needed my marriage certificate with Bangkok Bank but then could do nothing without my Wife except for going to the ATM.

My advice would be to goto a Kasikorn Branch close to where you live and if you are told no, then walk to the next branch.. you will quickly find one that says ok... especially if you walk in with alot of cash to make an opening deposit!

I opened an SCB account last month and I was only on a 30 day visa. I had to show my marriage cert though. I wanted SCB as it's easier to swap to and from my wifes account. Twas easy.

There is a small annual cost though of 1,5000 baht. But this gives upto 25,000 medical cover at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital

That's very odd and unusual, especially for Kasikorn...

Re the WP, I've often been asked for that as an opening request... But then whenever I explain that I instead have a retirement extension/one year visa, the different banks have always been fine...

And I've never encountered a Thai bank that cared about the location of the branch vs. the location of a person's home...

Re the "guarantee" by a Thai national, some of the banks do have an item talking about a "letter of recommendation or referral" from a Thai national just basically vouching for you... not any kind of financial guarantee. But that's usually asked for in the absence of other qualifying things.... like passport, national/state ID card, correct visa, etc.

I think you unfortunately got a bad apple on a bad day...

When I opened account at Bangkok bank in chumphon town (ocean mall), the branch manager wanted to see work permit, despite seeing that I have an account already (phuket) and a non-imm 1 year visa. They wanted my thai national to "guarantee" (reference) for the account, but I was able to get it open. He almost didn't give me internet banking, but then he realized i already had it, and had me fill out the "add account" form no problem. But if I was to apply for internet banking fresh, he wanted a work permit. Weird.

They are like the bank of america back in the US....you may not like em, but they are everywhere and offer some convenient features.

In phuket, I walked in and out in about 30 minutes with my atm card with only non-ed visa. Then I hopped over to TMB and did the same thing. I almost did SCB and Kasikorn, but got lazy. Heard great things about K-bank and thought about it while I was in Pattaya.

Edited by 4evermaat

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldnt have anything to do with SCB bank, reason always stupidly ask for a work permit, this cost them about 10 million baht from me 5 years ago but yet again today i saw them advertising 3.75% ineterst so went in and asked, yes they said and then out droned the u need work permit baloney, oh dear no change there then in 5 years. The money then went elsewhere, even though Im not impressed with them Bangkok bank do a similar deal 3.75% 11 months.

To open an account i have always had good realations with Kasikorn, dont want work permit either.

Edited by travelmann

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a Kbank account for ages, and was easy to open. I need a SCB account to do with my retirement visa, and now I am having a job with them, I have a nonO visa, Thai driving licence and contract, but have been knocked back at the two branches in Jontien. Now off to try the one in Central beach, with a certificate from my condo this time.

I have had a Kbank account for ages, and was easy to open. I need a SCB account to do with my retirement visa, and now I am having a job with them, I have a nonO visa, Thai driving licence and contract, but have been knocked back at the two branches in Jontien. Now off to try the one in Central beach, with a certificate from my condo this time.

Why SCB particularly? You can have money in any bank for a retirement extension.

Try Bangkok Bank and if you have any problem there's a board member Daveroc that works for them that can sort you out.

Why SCB particularly? You can have money in any bank for a retirement extension.

Try Bangkok Bank and if you have any problem there's a board member Daveroc that works for them that can sort you out.

I managed to get one open in Tukcom, I used an out of date resident certificate, but he did not seem to worry. It needed to be SCB for a certain reason, as I said I have had KBank since 1988, when they were TFB

• 2 weeks later...

I spent two weeks in Chaing Mai. Walked into the Doi Suket branch of Bangkok Bank with £2000 GBP and a passport and she was trying to get me to open an account then and there. I tried to tell I wanted Foreign Exchange, "Yes Mister I understand you. You should have Thai Bank as well for Future". I said not thanks, but she was a little mifted at me after that. It shouldnt be a problem.

The saga of opening a bank account in Bangkok

Before I begin, and before I *read* what others may have recommended already, I would like to know if there is a single branch of any bank (specify please) that not just tolerates farang business, but in fact welcomes it.

Context: I loathe banks for multiple reasons (political, practical, ethical, religious) that I won't go into here. But whenever I approach a bank employee I am polite and smile, if I can manage it under the circumstances. For first entries I am dressed like I am a traveller who just stepped off Khao Sarn Road. I have facial hair, dress strange and in shorts to boot. But I am clean and behave civilly (just not kow-towing). I also carry luggage as if I just arrived in town. I have lived in Thailand off and on for years, self-employed as a writer and videographer, not taking jobs from anyone. I have also visited many. many times. I rented an apartment in CNX for six months. So, Thailand is not new to me. I am what Erick Cohen the sociologist from Hebrew University of Tel Aviv refers to as a farang living in 'a counertculture bubble.' I speak some Thai, although imperfectly. I have substantial experience opening accounts in other countries (Philippines, Switzerland, Isle of Man, Singapore), albeit mostly in the 1980s and 1990s. I have $US5000-10,000 to deposit. As we know from reading The Millionaire Who Lives Next Door dress means nothing. In fact it is usually the middle class who are struggling with debt, who dress to impress. Maybe this is precisely what Thai banks want, as it is better for business. I notice that I do not fit in. Everyone looks middle and upper-middle class Thais. Working class Thais are absent. I recall the observation made by another sociologist that unlike as expected, people do not behave subservient and obsequious in churches, they behave this way in financial institutions, as if they are fearful (and so they should be) that the establishment might deny them access to their savings). When I apply in Canada for a bank account I ask them all sorts of detailed questions: privacy policy, interest rates, fees, maximum cash out per day etc. They act as if these are strange questions, like we are supposed to sign everything without reading (I do not).

So, to the meat...

Friday 4 pm

1. BANGKOK BANK (Silom HQ)

Told several weeks ago that they would be happy to open as long as I have my 'passport and driver's license'. As I explained to them months ago, I am on a tourist visa I presume they mean passport and DL from my *own* country. I spend $75 getting my DL couriered for this purpose. But I see HQ closes at 3:30 p.m. Huh? These are bankers' hours like 1975 in Canada. Presumably branches stay open with more customer friendly hours. I will discover that this is indeed so.

2. KASIKORN (Silom & Convent)

Take a #. Two Thai customers who come directly in without taking a number are welcomed at the counter for more complicated matters. A Thai man takes the next number after I have arrived and is seen first at the same more complicated matters desks. A staff member at the standard counter deigns to look my way and I show her my earlier number. It appears that status/wealth and citizenship take priroity over queuing.

"New account?"

'Yes'

"Do you work in Thailand?"

'No.'

"Do you live here?"

'No.'

"Sorry"

Now, of course I have an address in Thailand of a friend I can use. But she did not ask me that. I want to see if I can open an account being 100% truthful as I did in 1992 when all it took was my passport and THB100. I believe by 'do you work in Thaialnd' she means 'do you work in Thailand legally?' I could have given her the more complicated nuanced answer. I want to test the system.

Conclusion: It would appear that Kasikorn, at least this branch does not want my business.

3. BKK BANK (SIlom near MRT)

"Do you have a work permit?"

'No.'

Never the less, at one of those desks of not just a teller staff a man who speaks almost no English tells me I need a certified (?) statement from my Embassy. WHAT the statement certifies is not clear. It sounds like to prove that the passport is indeed mine. Is there a plethora of fake IDs in Thailand? I am told that as my DL does not show my passport they won't work together. He recommends I bring in an international driver's license. As we all know, that pieces of crap ID is just a business. I am not even sure it shows one's passport number. When I purchased one in Canada five years ago I do not recall the ID requirements being particularly stringent. It's as valuable as a fishing license. I point out when he shows me their rules very neatly presented on a plasticized board (obviously I am not the first) that it the regulations do not specify THAI driver's license. I come back and read it over taking notes.

What will work?

1. 'reference letter from Embasssy (Embassy or bank form)'. But when I ask for the bank form I am told 'Your Embassy will have it'. It's hopeless trying to find out what the letter is regarding - Police record? Taxes paid? Identity confirmed? Whether I changed my underwear that day?

2. 'reference letter from customer's bank back home via SWIFT' Hmmm, This sort of makes sense, but what person wants their home country knowing about what foreign bank accounts they are opening? Do they have a legal right to know? And from my reading, it appears that Swift is US-based and not very privacy oriented business. It is affiliated with the US Treasury for all international commerce in US dollars. Offshore banking experts recommend using IBAN instead as this agency does not automatically report to US authorities without a warrant. It's not as if I am intending to engage in criminal activity, it's primarily, and on principle, as an anarchist-libertarian-capitalist I object to privacy intrusions.

3. 'reference letter of recommendation from a person acceptable to Bangkok Bank (bank form)' I ask for the form and who is eligible. They will not give me the form or do not have one. After discussion with a co-worker I am told it refers to a bank employee who has worked at Bangkok Bank for a long time. And here I was ready to just go talk to a friend who had had an account for ten years!

The information flyer goes on...

'If the documents above do not have customer's address.' (OK, my passport does not, but my driver's license does)... They need a

a. bank statement (hmm, I could print out my online one, who keeps such papers?)

b. lease agreement ( I rent in the cash economy in Canada. Landladys do not want paper trails)

c. utility bill (as a renter I am not responsible for gas and electricity)

d. ownership of condominium in Thailand (a-c do not specify Thailand)

The information flyer is dated 9-?-2552

4. LH Bank (Silom)

A sign outside reads over 7%, and so I get sidetracked, as that looks like the best interest rate I have seen for ages. Oops, this is what they CHARGE for a mortagge. I also asked at one of the banks what the rates are on term (called 'time') deposits here. 3, 3.1, 3.2 etc Whoop de doo, almost as bad as Canada.

5. ?

6. Kasikorn (even closer to Silom MRT)

I ask what I need to open an account...

1. passport

2. work permit

"Do you have a Thai friend with an ID card?"

'Yes.'

"Bring them in and have them sign for you."

She does not explain if this means they will have access to my account.

7. Krungsri / Bank of Ayuthaya (close to MRT)

Ah, not the very biggest Thai bank. Number three tries harder? I don't waste time sitting for 15+ minutes with a number. I go straight to the 'welcoming' desk. Same story: passport and work permit.

Notes: Sure, I could buy a suit. Carry THB20,000 in cash. Carry dozens of pieces of paper. By why should I? Am I presumed to be a gangster/terrorist/ drug smuggler? They are willing to make three times (or more) on clients deposits and we are supposed to bow and scrape to allow us the privelege of their using our money? While I don't agree with their politics or methods I understand the sentiment - no wonder the Bolsheviks and anarchists wanted to blow up the banks. No wonder the conspiracy theorists say they are evil. I would boycott them but I have an inheritance and besides the security matter (handguns being hard to carry on planes) one is presumed to be a criminal if one deals exclusively in cash and gold.

Banks haven't tried...

a. Siam Commercial Bank

b. Thanachart

c. TMB

d. Government Savings Bank

My whole purpose of having a Thai bank account is just to make my many tourist visits to Thailand more cost efficient and expedite real estate transactions (should I decide to do one I just want the bank ready). ATMs charge fees, one gets a lousy FXS rate, there are maximums per day, maximums per transaction, etc.

Part II

Ok, so SCB/Krungthai/KrungSri maybe better choices, hungrier for business. Maybe even Kasikorn if branch is carefully selected (seems random to me) I keep fighting to see if I can win...

Chinatown Saturday 3:30 pm

1. BKK Bank I walk in and am told by a startled manager (?) 'We're not open!' Then why the door open?

2. BKK Bank another one. Sign says open til 5 pm. Guard tells me sign is out of date. Inside are customers, all Chinese. Fifteen minutes after I am refused entry, a person who looks like they run/work in a restaurant is let in

3. SCB across street. Hours: closes at 4:30

4. Kasikorn (Yaworat) M-F closes 3:30

5. K Bank (NOT Kasikorn) Never seen this bank before. interest signs 3.75% I ignore guard who is telling me something and enter the open door past the 1/3 closed shutters (in Thailand closed does not mean last customer in, closed means everyone goes home). Old man who appears to be a customer lounges inside and tells me if I have 100,000 to deposit to return with my passport Monday

6. TISCO: Another small bank, right next door. Closed Highest interest is 3.25%

7. Thanachart: (beside Lotus) Closes 4 pm. Looks less intimidating, like trust companies appeared in Canada in the 70s. 4.25% interest for something.

8. Several banks near or within a block of Chinatown Princess Hotel (TCM, Thanachart, Kasikorn, UOB) All closed. TCB appears to offer 5.44% for something. Or is that a mortgage? Anti-money laundering poster prominently displayed. I presume this is like the 'Say no to drugs!' posters. You don't see them in Malibu, you see them in the inner city, as in they must have a problem with dirty money in Chinatown.

Lesson: Don't go trying to open a bank account in a commercial area late Saturday afternoon. And expect Thai banks to give priority not to who comes first but who is an established customer.

.........6. Kasikorn (even closer to Silom MRT)

I ask what I need to open an account...

1. passport

2. work permit

"Do you have a Thai friend with an ID card?"

'Yes.'

"Bring them in and have them sign for you."

She does not explain if this means they will have access to my account.......

No the other party wouldn't have access to your account, as it is still an individual account. They just use the person as a reference so that the bank can open the account. I had the same thing done to me when I didn't have a work permit, and I already had an account from a different province only using passport with non-ed visa.

Lesson: Don't go trying to open a bank account in a commercial area late Saturday afternoon. And expect Thai banks to give priority not to who comes first but who is an established customer.....

I've seen the cut in front of people happen in other stores, but not usually bank. Most of the banks/busier post offices I've been in have a queuing system, and it is respected. Although I was allowed to skip line also if it was identified that i just wanted to make my bills smaller.Try the mall locations or near-the-mall. Tourist or near-the-tourist branch locations are probably also better equiped to deal with foreign customers. Like if I am in Tesco, I cut the next person off when they try to skip at the customer service line.

.......... I want to see if I can open an account being 100% truthful as I did in 1992 when all it took was my passport and THB100. I believe by 'do you work in Thaialnd' she means 'do you work in Thailand legally?' I could have given her the more complicated nuanced answer. I want to test the system.......

Notes: Sure, I could buy a suit. Carry THB20,000 in cash. Carry dozens of pieces of paper. By why should I? Am I presumed to be a gangster/terrorist/ drug smuggler? They are willing to make three times (or more) on clients deposits and we are supposed to bow and scrape to allow us the privelege of their using our money? While I don't agree with their politics or methods I understand the sentiment - no wonder the Bolsheviks and anarchists wanted to blow up the banks. No wonder the conspiracy theorists say they are evil. I would boycott them but I have an inheritance and besides the security matter (handguns being hard to carry on planes) one is presumed to be a criminal if one deals exclusively in cash and gold.

.........My whole purpose of having a Thai bank account is just to make my many tourist visits to Thailand more cost efficient and expedite real estate transactions (should I decide to do one I just want the bank ready). ATMs charge fees, one gets a lousy FXS rate, there are maximums per day, maximums per transaction, etc.

I was kind of confused about the overall purpose your two posts in sequence. Was the purpose of the bank hoping exercise just to test the difficulty in opening a thai bank account and how it has changed since your previous travels in thailand? Or is it to complain about the banking system in general, and protest about how thai banks perpetuate the evil-banks-taking-over-the-world stereotype? On one side, you seem like you don't care for banks at all. On the other hand, you see them as a "necessary evil" to move your money around more efficiently. So what exactly is it that you want to accomplish?

Opened up 2 accounts pretty effortlessly after Googling it. Helps to have the girlfriend there and use her address as correspondence. No work permit needed.

Opened up a joint account with SCB using just a British passport and an individual savings account with Bangkok Bank with a Visa debit card.

Stuffy lady at SCB initially said I need a work permit to open one and we were just about to get up and leave but then her stuffiness pissed me off and I told the gf to tell her that I already checked on their website and on the internet in general and it says I don't need one. She then made a call to her boss to clarify and then we were able to open a joint account or individual one. Lady was wrong again about the internet banking working immediately, you have to sign some papers for it which we did the next day after checking on the internet.

Bangkok Bank much friendlier and much more easier to open an account there.

Only problem am having is trying to get the SCB Mastercard debit card to work with online purchases. No problems with the Bangkok Bank Visa card.

Rule of thumb is be persistent and say you already checked on their website and internet and with friends and you don't need a work permit. Don't assume all employees know what they are talking about off course.

We're not in the city though, not sure if they are more relaxed in the countryside.

• 1 month later...

A few months back I opened a bank account at Krungthai and experienced no problems, even though I was there on a tourist visa.

They told me I was the first foreigner to open a bank account there (ever) in that branch, so it took a bit longer since they needed to check the rules first. But my fiancee assisted (she is Thai) which was necessary since the bank employees did not speak much English.

The complete story can be read here:

http://stuckinthailand.com/thailand/how-to-opening-bank-account-thailand

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the time, the typical Thai bank staff member doesn't know their head from their A** when it comes to opening new accounts for farang...

Typically, their automatic response is to say "passport and work permit required." While having a work permit certainly helps, it's absolutely not required. But the tough part is trying to deal with bank staff who think it IS required, and convincing them to the contrary.

Bangkok Bank, for all its terrible bureaucratic muddle, has an English language website that clearly spells out what they require from people with different visa/entry status, including tourist visas, and what kind of banking services they will and won't provide.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Foreign%20Customers/Pages/Opening%20an%20account%20new.aspx#11

It's too bad other of the Thai banks don't provide similar online info so at least, the general public and their bank staff all can be working from the same policy/procedures manual.

I've never had a work permit in Thailand, but I now have three different Thai bank savings accounts, each with online banking and VISA or MC debit card. Just opened the newest one today with Standard Chartered Bank at their branch in CentralWorld, fourth floor.

I'd already done my research and preparation beforehand, that included talking with one of their helpful bank officers at another branch through my Thai wife, and that conversation too began with "passport and work permit" but it didn't end there.... So I knew what to expect... Walked in today at CentralWorld, said I wanted to open a new account, they said passport and work permit please. I said no work permit, but I have retirement visa... And after a bit of back and forth they said fine...

Turns out, in the case of Standard Chartered, what they really want to be convinced of is that you're living in Thailand...and not just a visitor... So in addition to the required passport and some longer-term visa status (and they seemed to like the fact I'd had that same status for some years), they wanted some documentary proof of residency. So I provided them an apartment lease and copies of my home phone and internet service bills in my name and at my address. And they were happy as clams... well...or...something like that.

Did run into one thing I'd never encountered at any of the other Thai banks before... Once I'd completed all the paperwork and they had signed copies of my documents, they said it would take an hour to "check" to make sure I was OK... I wasn't sure what that meant...and at first I thought it meant check with the bank's home office on policy for opening farang accounts or something like that...

But no... as best as I could get an explanation from the bank staff there today, it seems they were checking my name against some kind of central, apparently government maintained list of "bad" people in the banking world. Couldn't quite get them to tell me what kind of list or who is keeping such a list... But I wasn't on it, so after a brief interlude, the staff person popped back to say everything was fine and I'd been cleared for my new account. Voila.

Separately, just had a friend from New Zealand visiting during the past month, and he'd really wanted to open an account at Siam Commercial... He, along with his Thai wife, must have gone to 10 different SCB branches in BKK and a city upcountry.... He was here visiting on visa exempt entry with an APEC card status... But from what he said, they never got past the "passport and work permit" answer at any of the SCB branches they visited.

I had the same kind of problem with SCB branches some years back, and it finally took a phone call to their head office where the staff told me over the telephone that someone on a retirement visa living in Thailand was entitled to open an SCB account under the bank's rules...even though several branches had flatly turned me down around that time....

Ultimately, I was able to work things out with one SCB branch, after very pointedly saying I'd checked with their home office and been told I was OK to open an account, and showing them my other original Thai bank book. But in that instance too, in order to satisfy the branch manager who had gotten involved, it took providing them a copy of my apartment lease in order to get things settled...

General advice:

--Persistence... Persistence.... Persistence... If one branch of a bank says no, that doesn't mean all the other branches will say the same.

--Don't be put off by the standard "work permit and passport answer." Ask to speak with a bank staff member who speaks English, sit down at the desk, and clearly explain what you have and your status... If need be, tell them you've already contacted their home office and been advised you're entitled to open an account.

--Once you get one Thai bank account, it often can make it easier to get others.... If you encounter the frequent NO, it sometimes can help to pull out the other bank's passbook and say, "Excuse me, but XXXX Bank was fine to open a new account for me... If they could, why can't you?"

--Do your research by reading here... Some Thai banks definitely tend to be easier to deal with, in terms of opening new accounts for farang, than others. See what members here who have similar status to yours have reported about their experiences with different bank companies.

Clearly living here full-time and having some proof of your residency will go a long way in helping... But even under the BKK Bank policy I linked above, those here on tourist or other shorter stay status can open new savings accounts, although they may not be able to qualify for online banking access.

Opened up a joint account with SCB using just a British passport and an individual savings account with Bangkok Bank with a Visa debit card.

Stuffy lady at SCB initially said I need a work permit to open one and we were just about to get up and leave but then her stuffiness pissed me off and I told the gf to tell her that I already checked on their website and on the internet in general and it says I don't need one. She then made a call to her boss to clarify and then we were able to open a joint account or individual one. Lady was wrong again about the internet banking working immediately, you have to sign some papers for it which we did the next day after checking on the internet.

That's such a wonderfully typical experience... But the smart thing is... not just walking away...but being politely insistent and getting someone at the branch to check with their main office as to the correct rules they should be following. Or also, the banks all have main number Call Centers, often with English speaking staff, and they also can be pressed into service when questions about bank policy come into play.

Nowadays, if I was planning to go to a branch to try to open a new account, I'd absolutely always contact the head office and or Call Center first by telephone, get an English speaking contact, and get them to tell you in detail just what that bank's policy is regarding someone in your situation... Then, with that info in hand, it's time to go visit the branch... And if possible, get, keep and bring along the name and phone number of the main office staff person you've spoken with beforehand, in case you need to put them together with the branch staff.

Did run into one thing I'd never encountered at any of the other Thai banks before... Once I'd completed all the paperwork and they had signed copies of my documents, they said it would take an hour to "check" to make sure I was OK... I wasn't sure what that meant...and at first I thought it meant check with the bank's home office on policy for opening farang accounts or something like that...

But no... as best as I could get an explanation from the bank staff there today, it seems they were checking my name against some kind of central, apparently government maintained list of "bad" people in the banking world. Couldn't quite get them to tell me what kind of list or who is keeping such a list... But I wasn't on it, so after a brief interlude, the staff person popped back to say everything was fine and I'd been cleared for my new account. Voila.

There is an international list of people who committed fraud with or inside a bank. Normally you first have to sign papers before they can check your name against this list. But maybe this is a local list or something.

(i have worked in the investment industry and there it is normal to screen every employee before letting them work for you)

Re the Standard Chartered new accounts process and them checking me against some kind of "bad" people list...

Once we had early on settled that I was eligible to open an account with them despite not having a work permit, they took copies of my passport and supporting documents, and then handed them off to a lady in the back room to go thru their clearance process.... And then I sat around during that time while my Thai wife finished her own separate account opening process.

And then after a half hour or so, the back office person emerged again with my original documents, told the accounts person that I'd been cleared and was approved, and then at that point the accounts person went ahead and had me start filling out their application paperwork and signing every piece of paper within 100 miles of Bangkok (just joking, almost). And then complete the process from there...

The whole deal for me, from start to finish, probably took about an hour. But as I mentioned previously, I'd already talked to that branch ahead of time via telephone, and laid the groundwork with them about wanting to apply for a new account on the basis of a retirement visa, and in particular wanted to make sure I had the name of an English speaking accounts person there (which I found and got) to look for when I came walking thru the door.

I'm by no means fluent in Thai... But one essential phrase that any farang in Thailand really needs to know and use, especially in the banking world... is "Khor tot khap... Mee staff pood passah Angrit dai mai, khap? Which translates roughly as, "Excuse me, but do you have staff who can speak English, please."

BTW, the one other guidance I got from Standard Chartered ahead of time was... even though their mall and some other branches are open on weekends and evenings, that farang coming to apply for new accounts should arrive on weekdays and before 4 pm.... Supposedly because the clearance process they use apparently involves the branch running your info through some central location that only functions during normal business hours.