First Application For Retirement Extension

My dutch friend applied for his first retirement yesterday at Nong Khai, but the money hasnt been in the bank for 2 months, so he was refused, they told him, go embassy in Laos, but he went over the bridge, got a stamp [15day visitor/tourist visa] he will have to do this again to make up the required period,

Question is, he had a 3 month non o issued in holland, will a visitor/tourist 15 day visa be ok to make up the period??

Thanks, Lickey,,

He should go back to Lao and get a single entry O. He will not be able to do this on a 15 day stamp because for people applying for a change of visa status in Thailand, they require at least 21 days on the current permission to stay. He could also get a tourist visa in Lao but as long as he is there, might as well get the O.

Thanks JT, so the best advice i could give would be to stay in Vietenne for a few days to get a 30 day or 90 day non o visa?

The tourist visa would for a 60 day stay. The single entry O (90 day) is better because then the person would not have to apply for a change of visa status (from TR to O) in Thailand. Instead, they would only have to apply for the extension. For the change of status option, at least 21 days must be left on current permission to stay to start the application.

He certainly doesnt have 21 days left on his original dutch issued non 0, so to save messing about with visa status ect, his best bet is to go to Laos and stay for a few days and get a new non 0? can he do this?

Sorry for all these questions, i just do the 1 yr renewal and 90 day reporting thingy, so i know little about how to solve his problem the easeist way,

Thanks, Lickey..

his best bet is to go to Laos and stay for a few days and get a new non 0? can he do this?

Yes he can, assuming he is over 50. He only needs a single entry from there. Then back in Thailand when his money is properly "cooked" he applies for the annual extension based on retirement. You may want to ask here exactly what Vientienne will require of him other than being over 50 to issue the O. I would of course bring the bank book.

BTW, while you do need at least 21 days left on your current permission to stay to do a visa status change (like from a TR to an O) in Thailand, you can technically do an extension of stay based on retirement just before expiration of the permission to stay.

Edited by Jingthing

I concur that the Thai Consulate in Lao PDR is the most user friendly to get a single entry Non-O Visa based on retirement.

I was 2 months short of being 50 y/o and they issued a Single Entry Non-O to me on the basis that before the 90 day visa would expire I’d have turned 50, and could apply for the yearly extension in country.

Vientiane is his best bet. ..

There is no question of age here, he is 54,

Question is, the officer told him to go to the embassy in Lao, but he only went over the bridge and got 15 days, and of course he will have to do this again to make up the time for the money maturing thingy,

So will NK immi throw out his application again? [for not having Non O visa?]

Thanks,

Unless he is some kind of special case, like a pending application, if that is even a possibility I don't know, the RULE is you must have 21 days left on your current permission of stay to qualify for a change of visa status to an O to pave the way for a retirement extension. So if he keeps coming in on 15 day stamps, that will NEVER be possible.

Thanks JT, im sorry for all the questions [repeated] but his english is very poor, and i have to talk in the easiest way possible for him to understand, also i have never had this problem so i really dont know the ins & outs of visa changes,

I will inform the poor bugger tomorrow as to what hes got to do, Thanks again, Lickey.

Sure thing. BTW, rereading the OP which says immigration told him to go to the EMBASSY indicates he is not on any kind of special pending application status. So the suggestions stand. Good luck to him. Cheers.

He only needs to spend one night in Laos to get his visa. If he gose to Vientiane early in the morning and goes to the conusulate for his visa he will get his passport back the next afternoon. The best day do this would be a Wednesday.

But not this week because of the holidays.

That is the best thing for him to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again, i saw my dutch mate today after his trip to Vientenne for non o, which he has now, 3 months,

Question is, hes now been here on a vistior visa for 14 days, IE, a break in his non o, so is it best for him to wait 2 months on the new non 0 or can he apply for the 1st retirement ex, after his money matures on 24th May,

Bearing in mind he had a 14 day visitor visa,

My advice was to wait till 2 weeks before new 0 visa runs out then apply for 1 year retirment visa, [giving him extra time ect on visa] I also told him i would check with the experts on here 1st,

TIA, Lickey..

The new extension he will be applying for starts the day after his current permission to stay (the 90 day single entry O visa). So the new time allowed would be same if he applied 90 days early or the day before. So you reason you gave to wait until 2 weeks before is not valid. The old 14 day is history now, don't even understand why you mentioned it. It is typical for people to apply for their extensions of stay 30 days before their current permission to stay expires and most immigration will likely be OK with that. Some immigration offices such as Pattaya welcome applications as early as 90 days early. So the question for your friend is what the rule is at his local immigration office.

Edited by Jingthing

Glad to hear the he got his non-o without a problem.

He should go for his extension within the last 30 of his 90 day entry. He should go as early as possible incase there is another problem that Nong Kai immigration creates.

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy the Dutch got his retiment ext today, he told me all they really looked at was his bank book and letter,Passport ect, so does it really matter about different visa stamps? who knows, who cares, its always up to the official on the day, but he had 2 choices, so he had the quest covered,,