Drinking Warm Beer

In a recent case study performed by me :), I have come to believe that drinking warm beer gets you absolutely ha ha hammered!

But the research continues on.......why does consuming warm beer have this effect? you can drink the same amount of chilled beer and not feel so drunk.....

Any input guys???

Not true, it is the amount of alcohol that you consume that is the deciding factor. Warm beer might be absorbed a little faster (I certainly seem to feel warm beer going to my head real quick); but temperature has no effect of blood alcohol levels.

oh please enough with the warm beer you are making me sick. Only the english drink thier beer warm. A good beer is served icy cold and do not even think about putting ice in the glass that's a thai thing. Only us Aussie really know how to dring beer.

Only us Aussie really know how to drink beer.

Correct....but there may be something in the suggestion that the alcohol from warm beer enters the blood stream quicker.......

....it could explain the behaviour of England's lager louts.

Two middy screamers. :)

Only us Aussie really know how to dring beer

A lot of Germans, Belgians, Czechs might have something to say about that :)

Don't knock ice: not my preferred way of drinking but when I first came to Vietnam, fridges weren't all that common. Personally, before I drink a warm beer, I'd rather drink it with ice.

I bet you never thought you would get this from an American but I'm from a place where we make our own beer actual brew pubs and won't touch the crap that comes in cans (you wouldn't drink beer in a bucket). Warmer temperatures bring out the range of flavors in a beer but cooler temperatures are more refreshing. A pale lager should be served chilled and a medium to low strength pale ale should be served cool, stout/imperial stout and barley wines should be served at room temp. There is a "5 scale" rule of thumb for serving beer properly and as I recall it is as follows:

1) Well chilled 7 °C/45 °F for light beers such as pale lagers

2) Chilled 8 °C/47 °F for Berliner Weisse and other wheat beers

3) Lightly chilled 9 °C/48 °F for all dark lagers, altbier and German wheat beers

4) Cellar temperature 13 °C/55 °F for regular British ale, stout and most Belgian specialties

5) Room temperature 15.5 °C/60 °F for strong dark ales (especially trappist beer) and barley wine

This is the beer temp. scale proposed by Michael Jackson (no not the singer) English writer and journalist considered to be an authority in the matter and the author of quite a few influential books about beer and whiskey including "The World Guide To Beer" which put parts of America in touch with our European heritage and back on track from Budweiser to Dock Street. http://www.dockstreetbeer.com/

As far as putting ice in beer all I can say is that ain't beer!

Selling, consuming or any discussion of drinking beer warm should be illegal.

Any bar caught serving beer anything but ice cold should be immediately closed by the authorities, the licence to operate on those premises revoked, the owner of the bar shot by firing squad and his soul sent to burn in hel_l.

Edited by nohab

Selling, consuming or any discussion of drinking beer warm should be illegal.

Any bar caught serving beer anything but ice cold should be immediately closed by the authorities, the licence to operate on those premises revoked, the owner of the bar shot by firing squad and his soul sent to burn in hel_l.

Am I correct to assume you don't like warm beer?? :)

Only us Aussie really know how to drink beer.

Correct....but there may be something in the suggestion that the alcohol from warm beer enters the blood stream quicker.......

....it could explain the behaviour of England's lager louts.

Two middy screamers. :)

Git away, both of ya.......

As a Kiwi regular visitor to OZ, it seems to me all the beer drunk is in the main, weazels, lo alky.......<deleted>.

Real men drink real beer.

At least supermarkets do stock real beer from NZ, they look after real men.

BTW, the best beer brands in OZ, which were NZ owned, have now been sold to Kirin.

So sad for Ockors.

Edit for spell check.

Edited by Zpete

At least supermarkets do stock real beer from NZ, they look after real men.

The only drinkers who would buy it in Australia, are Kiwis.

There's not enough Kiwis remaining in NZ to make a profit from beer sales. Most of you sheep pokers now live Down Under. :)

I don't know where some of you get the idea that Brits like warm beer. We like our beer chilled, maybe not straight from the freezer, but then British beer doesn't have to have the flavour frozen out of it.

A good bitter or something like Newcastle Brown has a great flavour when chilled, but loses so much if frozen.

A frozen lager on a rare hot day in Britain is welcome as well.

oh please enough with the warm beer you are making me sick. Only the english drink thier beer warm. A good beer is served icy cold and do not even think about putting ice in the glass that's a thai thing. Only us Aussie really know how to dring beer.
:):D:D I do agree with that one

ThiThi is it true Thai people would drink warm beer to get drunk quicker???

The way I heard it from a few Thai blokes I know, drinking beer through a straw gets one drunk quicker.............!

and I've seen them doing it.. :D

...the mind boggles... :)

Rubbish (in the nicest possible way! :D )!! You mob wouldn't know a decent beer if it upped and wacked you in the face!! All you lot sup is piss weak lager!

Middle of winter, pissing down sleet, hail or snow outside, standing in a classic old London pub, downing copious pints of room temperature Old Speckled Hen, Bishops Finger, London Pride, Green King etcetera...... you lager quaffers don't know you're born!! :D

post-66370-1241612450.jpg

Rubbish (in the nicest possible way! :D )!! You mob wouldn't know a decent beer if it upped and wacked you in the face!! All you lot sup is piss weak lager!

Middle of winter, pissing down sleet, hail or snow outside, standing in a classic old London pub, downing copious pints of room temperature Old Speckled Hen, Bishops Finger, London Pride, Green King etcetera...... you lager quaffers don't know you're born!! :D

In England, do they put the Old Speckled Hen on a nitrogen tap like they do in Asia? Here (Singapore) they sell Hen in a few of they pubs but they blow it full of nitrogen and serve it really cold. Makes for a nice fluffy beer, but giving it that treatment makes it more like a maltier John Smith's than a traditional cask ale.

Best answer I have come across for the "drinking through a straw"question.

Persons who drink beer with a straw are possibly already drunk, obiter dictum. It is indeed correct that when you drink beer with a straw you get drunk faster compared to when you drink beer in a regular way. When creating a vacuum while sucking on the straw, the boiling point of alcohol drops (in normal circumstances 79 degrees Centigrade) and alcohol vapours are created in the straw. These vapours are inhaled in the lungs, and via that way the alcohol gets into the blood much faster than the alcohol that ends up in the stomach by drinking it the normal way.

Moreover, beer gets into the mouth by means of a straw in very narrow jets, as a result of which it has a larger surface in the oral cavity. As a result of this more alcohol can evaporate before it is swallowed. The palate (with a loot of blood circulation inside) already absorbs part of the alcohol vapours. Also this is a shorter way for the alcohol to get into the blood and to make you drunk faster.

When drinking the same amount of beer the effects on one’s health remain the same whether you drink the beer in a normal way or with a straw, provided that one gets drunk faster when drinking with a straw. The total amount of alcohol does not change.

What do you mean Australia's best beers are owned by NZ? The top brands in Australia have always been VB,Fosters,Carlton and Crown Larger all owned by the Australian company CUB in Melbourne. CUB controls most of the beer market... New Zealanders know nothing about OZ. Nothing ever changes .All they do is talk about British rugby and go overseas doing extreme sports.They're ill-informed nobody's!!!!

What do you mean Australia's best beers are owned by NZ? The top brands in Australia have always been VB,Fosters,Carlton and Crown Larger all owned by the Australian company CUB in Melbourne. CUB controls most of the beer market... New Zealanders know nothing about OZ. Nothing ever changes .All they do is talk about British rugby and go overseas doing extreme sports.They're ill-informed nobody's!!!!

"pure blonde"is an aussie beer too.i like it ice cold.

i realy dont care if people get drunk with warm beer,i like ma drink cold..

Only us Aussie really know how to dring beer

A lot of Germans, Belgians, Czechs might have something to say about that :D

Don't knock ice: not my preferred way of drinking but when I first came to Vietnam, fridges weren't all that common. Personally, before I drink a warm beer, I'd rather drink it with ice.

I was going to say that it's a good thing the aussies know how to drink beer because they know <deleted> all about brewing it! :D

Yes, I am back in central VN, the land of warm beers. When I was working here before we bought a big fridge/freezer for a woman who ran a small cafe in town. It was delivered Sunday afternoon so we all raced there in eager anticipation Monday evening straight from work. The silly cow had filled it up with FOOD! :D Can you believe it! We gave her a little bit of re-education and everything was fine thereafter.

The funniest thing though is that I have just returned to VN and my internal flight Ha Noi to Da Nang was business class (well at their rates it's hardly worth travelling coach). Anyway the steward asked if I'd like a beer. What a question, is the Pope a Catholic? So he brought me the beer, warm, and a glass of ice. :D No real problem with that as I'm used to ice in beer but he brought me Heineken instead. :) So even business class travel doesn't warrant a cold one.

I think that he was referring to Lion Nathan. They control James Squire, Boags, and others.

Edited by OriginalPoster

I bet you never thought you would get this from an American but I'm from a place where we make our own beer actual brew pubs and won't touch the crap that comes in cans (you wouldn't drink beer in a bucket). Warmer temperatures bring out the range of flavors in a beer but cooler temperatures are more refreshing. A pale lager should be served chilled and a medium to low strength pale ale should be served cool, stout/imperial stout and barley wines should be served at room temp. There is a "5 scale" rule of thumb for serving beer properly and as I recall it is as follows:

1) Well chilled 7 °C/45 °F for light beers such as pale lagers

2) Chilled 8 °C/47 °F for Berliner Weisse and other wheat beers

3) Lightly chilled 9 °C/48 °F for all dark lagers, altbier and German wheat beers

4) Cellar temperature 13 °C/55 °F for regular British ale, stout and most Belgian specialties

5) Room temperature 15.5 °C/60 °F for strong dark ales (especially trappist beer) and barley wine

This is the beer temp. scale proposed by Michael Jackson (no not the singer) English writer and journalist considered to be an authority in the matter and the author of quite a few influential books about beer and whiskey including "The World Guide To Beer" which put parts of America in touch with our European heritage and back on track from Budweiser to Dock Street. http://www.dockstreetbeer.com/

humm an englishman giving tips on drinking beer say no more. The tempetures quoted are still considered to be hot beer. A nice hot glass of beer no thanks.

humm an englishman giving tips on drinking beer say no more. The tempetures quoted are still considered to be hot beer. A nice hot glass of beer no thanks.

I think that it is highly possible that beer was invented before the refrigerator - please correct me if I am wrong.

I think that it is highly possible that beer was invented before the refrigerator - please correct me if I am wrong.

Ice predates both.

Theakston's Old Peculier happens to be my favourite tipple! :D