Is Thaivisa Forum Really A Bastion For Red-necked Foreigners?

Is Thaivisa forum really a bastion for red-necked foreigners?  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The journalist Andrew Drummond had an interesting thing to say about this forum.

Do you agree?

Of course there were the usual ‘Hang the (offensive n word)’ type comments on Thaivisa.com, Thailand’s bastion forum for red-necked foreigners , but some pretty good people stepped forward.

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2009/04/29/...-11-the-sequel/

Question, is redneck a common term in the UK and Australasia? I always thought of it as an Americanism (as in Okie from Muskogee). Do you have special words that also mean redneck?

post-37101-1241180013_thumb.png

Edited by Jingthing

I reckon the biggest case of redneck I've heard of in Thailand recently was loudmouth fellow at a Phuket Immigration counter.

And his neck was most certainly not red.

Edited by Texpat

You have twisted Mr. Drunnond's article out of context. The comments have to be read within the context of the article. Read the article again, it is an eye opener as to Simon's conduct and behaviour and provides insight into why he was detained.

There were indeed nasty comments made about Simon, but when one considers the arrogance and stubborness of the person, it is quite obvious the fellow was the source of his problems. If he was a generic caucasian, you wouldn't have your knickers in a knot if Simon was called an ornery, obstinate fool.

You have twisted Mr. Drunnond's article out of context. The comments have to be read within the context of the article. Read the article again, it is an eye opener as to Simon's conduct and behaviour and provides insight into why he was detained.

There were indeed nasty comments made about Simon, but when one considers the arrogance and stubborness of the person, it is quite obvious the fellow was the source of his problems. If he was a generic caucasian, you wouldn't have your knickers in a knot if Simon was called an ornery, obstinate fool.

Could you possibly move your comments on the Simon case to one of the Simon threads? I ask because this thread is about rednecks on Thaivisa in a more GENERAL way. Thank you, red.

Guest Bellini
...Suddenly, as any expatriate living in Thailand will know, I had put myself in quite a dangerous situation, separating a Thai lawyer from his money! If the case goes as the lawyer wishes, it could run, and run and run. On the other hand my card may have been marked…not for the first time...

The above is a quote from Drummond’s cited blog entry. The comment “my card may have been marked…not for the first time” made me think of the expression “drama queen”, which I see defined as “an exaggeratedly dramatic person” on en.wiktionary.org/wiki/drama_queen

I think Drummond should write a movie script about this adventure of Simon Burrowes. I have a feeling he would do much better as a script writer than a journalist.

I reckon the biggest case of redneck I've heard of in Thailand recently was loudmouth fellow at a Phuket Immigration counter.

And his neck was most certainly not red.

Tex, look in the mirror, buddy ...

Strange,i voted"very few.." but i'm wrong by the poll results.

I'm not American,so i may have not a clue,but the Americans i see and talk look like enlightened people(opposite of redneck)It seems the redneck(luckily) stay at home collecting firearms.

"Texpat" seems to be fairly rednecckish(without offence)

So my question is:how many roads must a redneck walk down,before we can call him a man?

You can pee on Drummond's parade all you like, but remember, who are you going to turn to when you need publicity to get "The Authorities" to pull their fingers out when one of us is murdered? Or things turn to <deleted> politically etc.

Certainly not JH.

Anyone else that's good at raising carpet-swept Thai issues in the Foreignpress?

I'm not American,so i may have not a clue,but the Americans i see and talk look like enlightened people(opposite of redneck)It seems the redneck(luckily) stay at home collecting firearms.

Some points.

While the term redneck may or may not be an Americanism, you don't have to be an American to exhibit redneck tendencies.

There are also degrees of redneck-hood.

Collecting guns, driving a beat up pickup, living in a trailer, displaying a Rebel civil war flag, knocking up a girl at 15, etc. would be an advanced case of American style redneckhood. Of course, rednecks are also associated with right wing politics, intolerance, beer drinking abuse, racism, low intelligence, and knee jerk hypernationalism.

Question: are Chavs a kind of British redneck?

Secondly, Thaivisa has a huge percentage of hits in the USA, from people who do not live in Thailand.

I voted a bastion. Certainly not 100 percent redneck, but the redneck factor is dominant. If you don't believe me, read the current Al Gore/Global warming thread.

Edited by Jingthing

Some points.

While the term redneck may or may not be an Americanism, you don't have to be an American to exhibit redneck tendencies.

Collecting guns, driving a beat up pickup, living in a trailer, displaying a Rebel civil war flag, knocking up a girl at 15, etc. would be an advanced case of American style redneckhood. Of course, rednecks are also associated with right wing politics, intolerance, beer drinking abuse, racism, low intelligence, and knee jerk hypernationalism.

Secondly, Thaivisa has a huge percentage of hits in the USA, from people who do not live in Thailand.

I voted a bastion. Certainly not 100 percent redneck, but the redneck factor is dominant. If you don't believe me, read the current Al Gore/Global warming thread.

Thanks Jingthing,i really want to understand more.I guess you're not a redneck,except maybe when you ride your motorbike too long :)

There are very few rednecks here. A redneck by definition would not live in a country with brown skinned inhabitants.

Thought many of them had a brown skinned president.

I think there probably are a majority of rednecks here. Comes from the background of many, ex military who served in SE Asia and their friends. Ex police and becausse of the need to survive here a tendancy for people to be of the type who can force their way anywhere....For that read ride roughshod over everyone.

.....A redneck by definition would not live in a country with brown skinned inhabitants.

mmmmm

post-73039-1241200157_thumb.jpg

Yeah but, no but have you seen Little Britain America no so shut up because you didn't even never know how much alike we actually are so don't ask me cuz Shelly was sleeping with Somkid and I never even was at the 7-11

Yeah but, no but have you seen Little Britain America no so shut up because you didn't even never know how much alike we actually are so don't ask me cuz Shelly was sleeping with Somkid and I never even was at the 7-11

haha

now there is an idea

little thailand lol

Question, is redneck a common term in the UK and Australasia? I always thought of it as an Americanism (as in Okie from Muskogee). Do you have special words that also mean redneck?

post-37101-1241180013_thumb.png

"Rednecks" are specific to USA. UK has no indigenous Rednecks. Trouble is that the expression combines statements about both attitude and behaviour.

Overall the closest UK translation is probably, "Policemen"

No real Redneck would (or probably could) post to TV (although sometimes the grammar and spelling seen here may make you wonder)

I think Mr. Drummond was using the term redneck in a more abstract than literal way, as in redneck mentality.

I must say I am surprised at the number of people with itchy <deleted>. You know, there are ointments for that.

Edited by Jingthing

Some points.

Does a redneck mean two college degrees, several military colleges and several years of working around the world? Ah yes, Al Gore the scientist...how dare anybody disagree with his rantings....

Does a redneck mean two college degrees, several military colleges and several years of working around the world? Ah yes, Al Gore the scientist...how dare anybody disagree with his rantings....

Once a redneck always a redneck. College degrees does not change anything. Actually hanging around in US military camps too much will get you infected at some point :)