How Much Electricity Does A Tv Or A/c Use?

canincm

My significant other just came home with a giant LCD tv, which he is glued to every night. We also run the a/c while we sleep. Our electricity bill before the tv and a/c was free, then it crept up to 250 baht a month once we started using the a/c a few nights a week, and now it's 750! Our rent is only 3000 to begin with!

I have no idea how much electricity is a normal amount, but do you think that this is correct? Do LCD tvs use a lot or not?

I guess I could always go back to using the fan and looking out the window...

Edited by canincm

LCDs tend to use less than the old CRT tellys, but of course they use more than no telly :) Look on the back of the telly, there should be a plate with Volts, Amps and Watts.

Divide the Watts figure by 1000 and that's the number of units the TV will use each hour.

For the aircon you can do the same but that will over-estimate because it doesn't run at full power all the time. What room temp do you have set?

Our monthly power bill is around 1100Baht, aircon at night (set to 28C), 32" LCD on all day.

My significant other just came home with a giant LCD tv, which he is glued to every night. We also run the a/c while we sleep. Our electricity bill before the tv and a/c was free, then it crept up to 250 baht a month once we started using the a/c a few nights a week, and now it's 750! Our rent is only 3000 to begin with!

I have no idea how much electricity is a normal amount, but do you think that this is correct? Do LCD tvs use a lot or not?

I guess I could always go back to using the fan and looking out the window...

Air con will be the problem if it has a timer on it set to turn off when you are asleep LCD TV are quite low electricity users normally can depend on the quality of the TV also make sure all the windows and door are shut when air con on

Air con will be the problem if it has a timer on it set to turn off when you are asleep LCD TV are quite low electricity users normally can depend on the quality of the TV also make sure all the windows and door are shut when air con on

While an oldfashioned Colour TV needs abt 50-60 Watts an LCD is abt 4 to 5 times that... Abt 230 Watts depends on the chosen backlight-power. Even more -not to be forgotten- are plasma-TV's!

So: LCD are NOT very low!

Are you sure it's not a plasma TV, apparently they use a lot more electricity than LCD and CRT TV's but look the same. Most of the really large 50"+ TV's are plasma from what I understand.

I've often had a 6000-7000B electric bill when I am in Thailand, I have a computer with two monitors and 2 AC units which I leave on pretty much all the time although I turn the living area AC off when I sleep. I am billed directly by the electric company, so I pay the standard Government rates.

When I'm not there is goes down to a negligible amount due to the refrigerator/freezer being the only thing left running.

Are you sure it's not a plasma TV, apparently they use a lot more electricity than LCD and CRT TV's but look the same. Most of the really large 50"+ TV's are plasma from what I understand.

I've often had a 6000-7000B electric bill when I am in Thailand, I have a computer with two monitors and 2 AC units which I leave on pretty much all the time although I turn the living area AC off when I sleep. I am billed directly by the electric company, so I pay the standard Government rates.

When I'm not there is goes down to a negligible amount due to the refrigerator/freezer being the only thing left running.

jeeze dude this is the rent of my condo almost! sure everyone in your condo hasn't tapped into your meter...

2 baht per unit is the going rate for electricity..

In the UK I used to use one of these from Maplin to monitor my (boat's) electrical consumption:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38343

(I had some serious computing going on on that boat, AFAIK it was the world's first terabyte canal boat and by the time I sold up TB storage was well into double figures)

I'd be interested in measuring my current set-up's usage too if anyone knows where such power monitors can be found in BKK.

While an oldfashioned Colour TV needs abt 50-60 Watts an LCD is abt 4 to 5 times that... Abt 230 Watts depends on the chosen backlight-power. Even more -not to be forgotten- are plasma-TV's!

So: LCD are NOT very low!

I think that you will find if the screen size is the same lcd will be lower I hate to think what a 46" CRT tv would take if they made one

I have measured our 32 inch LCD with cable box it uses 0.145 Kwh per hour...next to nothing really. I used the Kill-A-Watt at http://www.p3international.com/products/sp...0/P4400-CE.html . Your AC is the big consumer of power. The hotter it gets outside the more it will turn on to keep your house cool. The next biggest consumer is the refrigerator (but not near as much as an AC) ....too many midnight snacks lately? :)

jeeze dude this is the rent of my condo almost! sure everyone in your condo hasn't tapped into your meter...

It sounds like your electric is about spot on. I have to pay 6baht per unit in my apartment in BKK, since we don't pay direct to the electric company. The aircon is the single biggest thing that will juice your bill. TV, fridge, and other electronics won't use near as much as the aircon alone does.

The rate per unit depends on consumption, it starts off at about 3.2 if I remember correctly and goes up to just over 4 with the tax added, there's a sliding scale of charges which runs the opposite way to which you would expect. Normally when you buy more of something you get it cheaper, I suspect the first few hundred units are subsidised by the Government which explains why the rest of them are more expensive.