Don't Always Need 400,000 For O Visa Extention

Just to update on my previous post for my O visa extension. I have a Thai wife and baby and this is my first O visa extension application.

After seeking advice from my agent, I decided not to transfer 400k into my Bangkok bank due to the poor GBP/Baht exchage rates.

I have a Hong Kong company so she advised I got a letter from my accountant (Ocra) to state that I earned in excess of 40,000 Baht per month. I then took this letter to the UK embassy and got a certified letter (cost 1,900 baht).

I had around B200k in my Bangkok bank so I had to also get a certified letter from my bank to confirm this (costs 100 Baht). Apparently this is just to show that you're bringing money in to support your family. There doesn't have to be any specific amount, just some funds.

My wife and I got interviewed and the application was accepted. I pick up the new visa in one month.

I also discovered that I need to get a multi re-entry permit but i don't need to extend again for one more year.

My opinion is the O visa/extension seems more trouble than it's worth! For example if i start working or trading in Thailand, apparently I need to change it back to a Non B.

What a load of b******s

Most immigration offices would not ask for the money in the bank info with a letter from the embassy.

You wouldn't have to change back to a B once you have an extension of an entry from a non immigrant visa you don't need to change anything but the reason for the extension.

To change visas you would have to leave and get a visa and then start all over again.

You can get a work permit with the extension you have now. Once you have a work permit to get the extension based upon marriage all you need to do is show tax payments for the past three months.

Also if you want to do business here and you are married to a Thai your wife can start a business as a sole trader. You could then get a work permit and only need half the normal emplyees and company income.

If you changed to an extension based upon employment you would have to show a lot more paperwork than the tax payments.

Most immigration offices would not ask for the money in the bank info with a letter from the embassy.

You wouldn't have to change back to a B once you have an extension of an entry from a non immigrant visa you don't need to change anything but the reason for the extension.

To change visas you would have to leave and get a visa and then start all over again.

You can get a work permit with the extension you have now. Once you have a work permit to get the extension based upon marriage all you need to do is show tax payments for the past three months.

Also if you want to do business here and you are married to a Thai your wife can start a business as a sole trader. You could then get a work permit and only need half the normal emplyees and company income.

If you changed to an extension based upon employment you would have to show a lot more paperwork than the tax payments.

Many thanks for your advice.

Actually, you can have a work permit on an O-type (married) visa, or rather, you could when I did my last visa extension! It takes more paperwork than a standard B visa, so many companies are unwilling to do this and will tell you to get a type B visa instead.

Actually, you can have a work permit on an O-type (married) visa, or rather, you could when I did my last visa extension! It takes more paperwork than a standard B visa, so many companies are unwilling to do this and will tell you to get a type B visa instead.

You can get a work permit on a non-o visa because all that is required is a non immigrant visa entry. It should not make any difference unless the extension of stay is for retirement.

For the extension the company should be happy because they don't have to provide 10 pounds of paperwork for the extension.

I can't see any company saying that you should tleave the country and get a B visa unless they are not paying for the trip.

I think that any company that said that have been given some false infomration by perhaps some lawyer or accountant because they stand to loose money when it comes time for the extension.

just reading this topic i have some questions to clarify.

if i get from the company in my country that i am their staff and earn salary equivalant to 40,000 baht or more and this letter is certified from our embassy can i apply for visa extension?

also i have more than 200,000 baht in my thai kasikorn bank account. how many months should the money be in bank and if it goes less than 200,000 also will they accept?

how will it work? please give me a hint

if i get from the company in my country that i am their staff and earn salary equivalant to 40,000 baht or more and this letter is certified from our embassy can i apply for visa extension?

also i have more than 200,000 baht in my thai kasikorn bank account. how many months should the money be in bank and if it goes less than 200,000 also will they accept?

For an extension based on marriage to a Thai the letter from your embassy should be enough of your income. So just focus on getting all the other documents you need. The money in the bank option requires 400,000 baht, so you don't qualify for that, unless you are on a retirement extension since 1998.

If you are not married to a Thai it would depend on your nationality if you can get an extension of stay based on working.

If you have an income that is earned outside the country that is equal to 40,000 baht you can get a letter from your embassy and use it as proof of income.

The 200,000 baht is not required to get the extension if you have proof of income. Some immigration offices want to see a bank book to confirm you have money coming into the country. There is no fixed amount to show or any time limits.

i am married to a thai and i am living with her a for a while here. however, i am a employee of a Maldivian company. our company have invested and opened a company in bangkok too and i am a share holder too. my wife have 51% of share anyways because its a limited company.

i get more than 40,000 baht from the company in Maldives and i can get a letter from them too. but we dont have a embassy in bangkok for our country. the most closest one is in KL. maybe i have to get the letter from them? to ge the embassy letter what i have to do?

also Mario2008 asked to focus on other documents so what those other documents?

maybe i dont have to go padangbesar again for the 90 days visa run if you guys can really help me :) i really didnt know it will work before. i thought the income should be from working here.. so stupid me..

i am married to a thai and i am living with her a for a while here. however, i am a employee of a Maldivian company. our company have invested and opened a company in bangkok too and i am a share holder too. my wife have 51% of share anyways because its a limited company.

i get more than 40,000 baht from the company in Maldives and i can get a letter from them too. but we dont have a embassy in bangkok for our country. the most closest one is in KL. maybe i have to get the letter from them? to ge the embassy letter what i have to do?

also Mario2008 asked to focus on other documents so what those other documents?

maybe i dont have to go padangbesar again for the 90 days visa run if you guys can really help me :) i really didnt know it will work before. i thought the income should be from working here.. so stupid me..

You should contact the embassy in KL and sse what they require to do the letter. Also see if you could do it by mail. Also some countries have agreements with other couuntries to handle their affairs where they do not have an embassy. It might be worth asking if they have such an arrangement.

Dcocuments required are marrigage certificate, wifes Id and house book and copies of them. Your passport and copies of photo page, visa, entry/permit to stay stamps and your departure card.

Photos of you and the wife in and around the house and a map to the house.

Since you are marreid to a Thai you have sufficeint income.For the embassy letter contact the embassy in KL, they will now what to do.

Besides the letter from the embassy you will need:

- passport

- pass photo

- copy of marriage certificate

- copy of wife's household book

- copy of wife's ID

- map to your house

- bank book with some money it

- some photo's of you and your wife in and around the house

Take your wife with you!

Best to call you local immigraiton office first, as every office has slightly different requirements regarding the documents.

well i live in bangkok not anywhere else so i guess i have to the main immigration office.

we are staying in a town house or a home office where in the 3rd floor me and my wife live. 1st and 2nd floor is set for office. will this creat any problem?

The type of house you live in does not matter, The reason for the map is because they sometimes make a visit to verify that you are living to together. That is why the photos are asked for also.

You will not need the bank for the extension if you live in Bangkok.

Proof of income doesn't cut it at Nong Khai immigration.

They want to see it deposited into a Thai bank. For a non-imm O (marriage), it's 40K a month. Every year at extension time they go through my bankbook, page by page. Adding up the deposits.

One satang short of 40K and you're denied. Real money grubbers that lot. At my last extension they wanted an explaination of the disparity between what my stated pension is and what I transfer into my Thai bank. I think they want it all!

I can show them I'm a squillionaire and make a million everyday. Unless I deposit 40K into a Thai bank monthly ... no dice.

At least that's how it was explained to me.

Edited by Texpat

Proof of income doesn't cut it at Nong Khai immigration.

They want to see it deposited into a Thai bank. For a non-imm O (marriage), it's 40K a month.

One satang short and you're denied. Real money grubbers that lot.

I can show them I'm a squillionaire and make a million everyday. Unless I deposit 40K into a Thai bank monthly ... no dice.

At least that's how it was explained to me.

If you are turned down because you don't have money going in the bank every month it would be very good grounds for an appeal.

Ask them to put it in writing that it is required.

Even asking to see a bank book is not required.