3 Thais Killed, 1 Swedish Woman Injured In Shootings Near Khao San Rd

Oberkommando

I disagree with you. Many Thais? How many? 90% 50%. If you are Thai, "u said Local Thais = worthless" Then you are worthless too. :D Shame. If you are other nationality, here, please do not come here. Surrounding with people so called worthless aren't worth it and making you cheap too. If you live here as a foreigner, ummm it would be nice to pack and go home. I AM CANADIAN, live in Bkk. Do you dare to tell everyone here your nationality? We are in dispute here, you are trying to save your face now. Please do not use gun, I am Canadian. When come to this kind of dispute, I will worry if you are American than Thai because Americans carry gun everywhere. :D Legally. Scary !!!!

The rubbish you post about Americans is no more offensive than the rubbish the other guy posted about Thais. I'm an American, and have never touched a gun in my life. No one in my family has ever owned a gun. Can we at least make an attempt to leave ugly stereotypes out of this?

Did I said 100% of American holding gun? Since you are American, good to have you here. Tell US, how many million of gun licenses your government have issued? How many million of gun legally own for whatever purpose? Your answer will set us Free from arguement. It is nice you do not have gun. Good man. I told everyone the truth but you are in better position to give the right NUMBER. Thanks. American. Waiting for your answer. Direct answer my simple questions. Don't get too angry, this is the truth of America. I trust you dare to tell the number. U seem know your country well. :) Don't get upset when you know the number, just accept it. I'm American. Be Proud! That is the way of American life (American gun). I always think, the truth will set you free. Do you agree?

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me see...if I read in the paper that an American tourist in Paris was accidentally hit in the crossfire when a domestic dispute turned ugly on the streets of Montmartre, I'd think "wow, that was bad luck".

Never would it cross my mind for a second to cancel my trip to Paris thinking that something similar was likely to happen to me. Shit happens everywhere, including my home town.

Who knows, though...there are a lot of stupid people out there.

This will not be "another blow to tourism" as some have suggested. Street crime is rampant in most urban areas here. Bangkok continues to be one of the most dangerous places in the world. Either you accept the facts or bury your head in the sand and hope you do not become a victim.

Stress brought on by the well publicized problems unique to Thailand and the current global economic crisis will cause crime to continue to rise. This is simply one of hundreds of violent crimes that occur in Thailand everyday. This one could not be covered up because a foreigner was tragically brought into the story.

I disagree with that. In fact it is still one of the safest cities in the world. Compare Bangkok with Manila, Rio de Janeiro, Phnom Phen, Los Angeles... only to mention a few

Statistics show that Thailand is 14th in the world for murders per capita - double that of the USA and on a par with Kyrgyzstan. The death toll on the roads is one of the highest in the world, as are the pollution levels in the major cities. And you feel safe with all this building work, potholes, things falling off roofs? So if BKK is one of the safest cities in the world then it is one of selective perception, rather than reality. See:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_...ders-per-capita

Statistics is a wonderful subject :) You could have chosen to point out that the murder rate per capita of Thailand is less than 1/6 of South Africa's, but that would have made a rather different point, wouldn't it? The list that you quote covers less than 1/3 of the world's countries but still includes three EU countries (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania) and at least two major tourist destinations (South Africa and Mexico) with a higher murder rate than Thailand.

I can't help but wonder whether the Thai murder rate includes victims of the Southern insurgency? In that case the numbers would be rather skewed, I think.

/ Priceless

Ok, so Thailand's murder rate is less than 1/6th of S. Africa's, even though less than 1/3 of the world's countries are on the list, but is double that of the USA etc etc. Wow, that's a relief, I was beginning to worry.

I'm going to turn this thread lose.

You all are just beating a dead horse. You get what you give most of the time.

Take care and have a nice time.

Enjoy, I am!

Statistics is a wonderful subject :) You could have chosen to point out that the murder rate per capita of Thailand is less than 1/6 of South Africa's, but that would have made a rather different point, wouldn't it? The list that you quote covers less than 1/3 of the world's countries but still includes three EU countries (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania) and at least two major tourist destinations (South Africa and Mexico) with a higher murder rate than Thailand.

I can't help but wonder whether the Thai murder rate includes victims of the Southern insurgency? In that case the numbers would be rather skewed, I think.

/ Priceless

Victims in the south would be included for sure. That's a very good point.

This will not be "another blow to tourism" as some have suggested. Street crime is rampant in most urban areas here. Bangkok continues to be one of the most dangerous places in the world. Either you accept the facts or bury your head in the sand and hope you do not become a victim.

Stress brought on by the well publicized problems unique to Thailand and the current global economic crisis will cause crime to continue to rise. This is simply one of hundreds of violent crimes that occur in Thailand everyday. This one could not be covered up because a foreigner was tragically brought into the story.

"Bangkok continues to be one of the most dangerous places in the world" ? What a load of rubbish!

Bangkok is one of the safest places believe me, try going to any of the big U.S. cities, London, Paris,

Amsterdam just to name a few places - they are much more dangerous, women cannot even walk alone on the streets at night.

They STILL can in Bangkok. Pattaya in comparison, if we're talking Thailand, HAS become a dangerous place for both Thais and foreigners, over the last 5 years and IS more dangerous than Bangkok, with muggings, shootings and gang attacks almost daily. Just yesterday, a gold shop robbed in Jomtien by armed robbers.

The 'gentle' calm Thai image is fast evaporating due to 'modernisation', greed and arrogance.

Yes, you read that correctly!

Did anyone notice how the google web translator that George used on page 1 to post the Swedish news version of this incident mangles the English?

Then read it again, this time with a faux Swedish accent (think Swedish Chef from the muppets) and you will actually SOUND like a Swedish speaking broken English. Truly awesome technology!!!

Then read the next 5 or 6 pages with any accent you want and you will STILL sound like a muppet. Truly amazing!

Did I hear that someone got shot somewhere?

Deepest regrets to those killed in the shooting and as a Thai country men my regrets and apologies go to the Swedish tourist that was accidentally shot. These domestic violences should never have happened especially around the touristic areas, it does provide the city of angels a bad name and bad advertising for the country as a whole. At any rate I hope those that survived the ordeal recover soon and give thsi country another chance as it is not a bad place to spend your holidays.

"Bangkok continues to be one of the most dangerous places in the world" ? What a load of rubbish!

Bangkok is one of the safest places believe me, try going to any of the big U.S. cities, London, Paris,

Amsterdam just to name a few places - they are much more dangerous, women cannot even walk alone on the streets at night.

They STILL can in Bangkok. Pattaya in comparison, if we're talking Thailand, HAS become a dangerous place for both Thais and foreigners, over the last 5 years and IS more dangerous than Bangkok, with muggings, shootings and gang attacks almost daily. Just yesterday, a gold shop robbed in Jomtien by armed robbers.

The 'gentle' calm Thai image is fast evaporating due to 'modernisation', greed and arrogance.

Yes, you read that correctly!

Having circumnavigated the globe several times I can honestly say that Cardiff is the most dangerous place in the world, followed closely by Budapest.

But seriously you are right with the point that the gentle calm image of Thailand is eroding (if it was ever there in the first place.) Having stayed in Pattaya a few times and having watched the local TV station or picking up the Pattaya mail it seems that there is a new murder every day.

I now someone in France who was shot in the thigh by a speargun.

The drunken fool missed shooting his pregnant wife in the ass,

and got my aquantance... he said in retrospect he should have

moved down the beach earlier, but never expected this.

The wife was Spanish and drunken fool was German

and my friend was Welsh and it took place on a beach near Marseiles.

And for a change my Welsh friend was NOT the trouble maker.

So really it's NOT JUST THAILAND for this stupid stuff.

Having known and gone drinking with several Cardif expats over the years

I do NOT dispute your assessment of Cardif.. not a bit LOL.

Edited by animatic

However, on the other side of the coin, there are some among us who might be inclined to step in to try and rescue someone being browbeat. pedestrianus emptor.

Bad idea. I know a guy who tried to intervene and was put in prison for three days and charged 10,000 release money.

We assume the thai blamed him for the incident.

GUNS DON'T KILL.....PEOPLE DO

... and people kill more with guns (when available)

Yes! The point I was trying to make by having a gun amnisty is that when some is clear of mind and has a illegal gun then they can hand it in with no questions asked even a money insentive they are likely to do it..It may save a few innocent lives..when the brain is pickled pissed drugged up it can be too easy to use a gun.Right or wrong? Gun amnisties work!

It always amazes me with the great argument that People kill not guns..<deleted>!!! A few lives saved does not warant that argument at all.Maybe its the great American argument Guns don't kill but I can assure you they do and if there were less of them then maybe the world would be a safer place...And yes I have owned sporting guns legally.

On the general thread of the discussion I have been here 7 years spent time in Bangkok Phuket ,pattaya and in the north and yes I feel safer than I did in the UK ref. muggings etc and yes I would say its safer here than kicking out time in my local home town.But here with the local culture(sub-culture) of loosing face then then the guns come out too quickly...

I was in Phuket last month and the hotel had their laptop stolen(walk in crime) and the pizza shop was broken in on Nan nai road while I was there and the general view was that theft and small crimes are on the increase...

Here in the North we have had people ripping the gold off peoples necks in the market...

This shooting will put thailand in the news again for the wrong reasons and people will decide not to come..But maybe the baht will collaspe? We can hope....They say no news is good news and maybe Thailand should pray for that....

Anything better for this story in English? It will probably come sooner or later.

Another blow to tourism..........what was that song they were playing when the Titanic went down?

:)

Such tragic events happen not only in Thailand and I can not see why it is a blow for tourism.

Crime takes place everywhere in the world.

Yes I agree, especially in South-Africa where I stay, 50 people die everyday due to crime. I lost a friend last Saturday, shot in the chest just for his cellphone. I really feel sad for the loss of any life. I think Thailand is still the better place to visit. Will be there in September for 6 weeks. I love Thailand.

Update:

3 Thais killed, 1 Swedish woman injured in shootings near Khao Sarn Road

BANGKOK: -- A Thai man shot and killed his wife and two other Thais near Khao Sarn Road Monday night and accidentally shot and injured a Swedish tourist, police said.

The shootings occurred on the Tanao Road.

Police said the Thai man, Surapan Kritsamphan 44, went to see his ex-wife, Yupadee Laphanan, 35, while she was selling clothes at her shop to try to mend their relationship.

But when she refused to mend the tie, the man became angry and opened fire at her, their son, Polkrit Kritsamphan, 19, and her new boyfriend, Arkom Surojwong, 33.

Yupadee and Polkrit died at the scene. Arkom died on his way to a hospital.

Surapan fled the scene.

The Swedish tourist, Karin Matiweka, 21, was shot once on her back. She was rushed to the Vatchiraj Hospital and is now safe.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-05-05

"Surapan fled the scene".

He killed his ex wife and his son...jeeeze! A gun in Thailand can cost around THB 80K, where would the husband of a clothes seller get that sort of money?

Of course he fled the scene...all pride, no shame! :)

"I would suggest that many people from Europe visiting Thailand for the first, second or even third time are not so aware of the terrible gun culture this country has and this girl sadly and rather naively got in the middle of the fracass."

My friends talked to people who were there and he did not have a gun in sight. Bravo to this girl for being a stand up human being.. If enough people standing around had the decency that this girl did to stop things, than that man could have been jumped in a heart beat no doubt. I've seen it done. But, I guess it wasn't their problem..

But, unfortunately when it comes to fight or flight, people fly, fly, fly away. AND, it's not only when it comes to human to human violence.

I was mauled by a monkey the other week and five people just stood there and stared as I was losing so much blood. As a human being I would have run to help. A towel, a shirt, something for f*cks sake! But, alas no, they didn't do a thing. Five people. Just staring. But, I guess it wasn't their problem.

I saw a man nearly drowning to death a few months ago. My friends and I didn't even think for a second of just standing there to stare at him and listen to his screams. We didn't think "oh what an idiot for swimming in such bad waters". No. We ran bare foot over sharp rocks and shells, and stood flat foot, linking arms, while big waves crashed onto us, to help him, while people stood and stared. But, I guess it wasn't their problem.

I walked out of a store and saw a group of people standing and staring at something. When I looked to see what they were staring at, I saw a girl who'd fallen off her motorbike still on the ground. She wasn't severely injured just scratched, cut, and crying. I was the only one to run over and help. Some people even watched it happen, but just stood and stared. But, I guess it wasn't their problem.

I'm not saying I'm a hero, I'm just shocked that so many people just don't give a sh*t. Maybe it's the way I was raised. It makes me lose faith in humanity to see that so many people have cowardly instincts.

We'll see what you people will be saying (heaven forbid) while something terrible happens to you the next time, and people just stand around and stare. Oh stupid me, I guess you'll be shouting, "Oi, don't you folks worry bout a thing now, it's just my problem. Now stare and enjoy the show courtesy of, ow, owww, ow, of me! =)

Having circumnavigated the globe several times I can honestly say that Cardiff is the most dangerous place in the world, followed closely by Budapest.

But seriously you are right with the point that the gentle calm image of Thailand is eroding (if it was ever there in the first place.) Having stayed in Pattaya a few times and having watched the local TV station or picking up the Pattaya mail it seems that there is a new murder every day.

As a native of that fine city (Cardiff) I should be up in arms at this comment.

However...in 6 years of living in BKK, I have to agree with you Mr. Geek. BKK is MUCH safer than Cardiff (or many towns and cities in the UK for that matter) and I have NEVER felt threatened in BKK.

moral to the story(?) if you see Thai people arguing, stay clear.

If it appears they're drunk and there are weapons involved, duck for cover.

However, on the other side of the coin, there are some among us who might be inclined to step in to try and rescue someone being browbeat. pedestrianus emptor.

Hope they caught the a**hole with the gun - and get him to suffer the full weight of the law.

This happened in Pattaya a few years ago, 2 brits pulled a thai off a restarant owner that was getting slapped,, he returned later with a gun and killed 2 of them, as advised elsewhere, keep out of thai arguments, they dont value life as we do and dont consider the consequences of their actions, . :)

This is a pretty bold statement to make, and an incorrect one at that. Most Thais value life just as much as you or I. This nutjob with a gun is obviously an exception. A tragic story indeed.

Perish the thought that I might disagree with you but buddy, I think you're wrong...Take the UK for example, the English olympic pistol team have to practice in France because it's against the law to posess a pistol for any reason! Just take a look at the crime figures for the UK.

The usual weapon of choice is the kitchen knife...places where guns are freely available have remarkably less anti personal crime as more people take responsibility for their own defence! IMVHO

I am surprised there arent a bunch of backpackers on here who witnessed the event.

Personally I dont think it was a murder... most likely a suicide attempt that went wrong - possibly by holding the gun "backwards".

moral to the story(?) if you see Thai people arguing, stay clear.

If it appears they're drunk and there are weapons involved, duck for cover.

Hope they caught the a**hole with the gun - and get him to suffer the full weight of the law.

This happened in Pattaya a few years ago, 2 brits pulled a thai off a restarant owner that was getting slapped,, he returned later with a gun and killed 2 of them, as advised elsewhere, keep out of thai arguments, they dont value life as we do and dont consider the consequences of their actions, . :)

This is a pretty bold statement to make, and an incorrect one at that. Most Thais value life just as much as you or I. This nutjob with a gun is obviously an exception. A tragic story indeed.

Yes they value their own life but take a life far too easy! And the Nut job with the Gun an exception get a life there are plenty gun muders here so how can that be a an exception? Sadly as in this case its the innocent who die or was she not innocent?

Look at the British enbassy web site to get an idea of how many forigners have died here in the last few years....

So if you visit http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_...me-total-crimes you'll see that Thailand has slipped to an impressive 20th place. I guess this is possibly because unlike many of the countries in the top 10 laws are not enforced, which means there is less crime here. Why doesn't T.A.T use these figures to get the tourists back?! :)

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_...s-with-firearms 3rd place in the world for murders with firearms!

Statistics and mathematics are really fascinating subjects:

- According to the site that you refer to, there were 20,032 murders with firearms in Thailand.

- According to the same site, but another page ( http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_...ders-per-capita ) there were 0.0800798 murders per 1,000 people in Thailand.

- A quick calculation (20032/0.0800798) leads to the conclusion that (if all murders in Thailand are by firearms) there are ~250,000,000 people in Thailand!

- According to the same site, but yet another page ( http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur-crime-murders ) there were 5,140 murders in Thailand. As can be seen above 20,032 of these were committed with firearms! (I guess that each victim was shot four times :D )

I think that one should be very careful with statistics when one does not know their true origin (and otherwise as well :D ).

/ Priceless

This is a very unfortunate incident indeed.

If the injured Swedish lady did involve herself in any dispute then, she certainly was very foolish. It a golden rule to keep away from Thais when they are full flight!

There are shootings here in Pattaya on an almost daily basis and, amazingly, very few foreigners are ever hurt. These occurrences have been common for years and have not impacted on tourism where other factors certainly have.

Wonder what kind of gun he was using.

And we wonder where the sterotypes come from.

Stereotypes, indeed. I've never owned a gun.

Some people just can't shake it, can they?

Apparently not.

I bought an air pistol recently and it got stolen when we moved home - I guess the removal guys thought it was a real gun.

As a native of that fine city (Cardiff) I should be up in arms at this comment.

However...in 6 years of living in BKK, I have to agree with you Mr. Geek. BKK is MUCH safer than Cardiff (or many towns and cities in the UK for that matter) and I have NEVER felt threatened in BKK.

Apologies for the generalisation - but I was visitng your fair city as a travelling fan supporting a certain south London football club and the reception was less than welcoming.

I have never felt in danger in Bangkok, had some bad expereinces up near the Cambodia border though.

Hello, it is a sad thing for some people to think that killing or shooting people is a good thing. I feel sorry for the people killed and the families of the people killed. Most of the people go to Khao San Road to have a good time, but this is not acceptable social behavior. I hope more people in LOS can talk about this and understand that no one has the right to take another persons' life. Like in America, too many bad people can get a gun, and not enough of the good people have them. It sounds like this was not an random act so the businesses there will not suffer as much, but the police in Bangkok are good at getting the small people so maybe the shooter will be taken out of society and put in a cage.

I agree - but unfortunately we can not distinguish between good and bad people.

Perish the thought that I might disagree with you but buddy, I think you're wrong...Take the UK for example, the English olympic pistol team have to practice in France because it's against the law to posess a pistol for any reason! Just take a look at the crime figures for the UK.

The usual weapon of choice is the kitchen knife...places where guns are freely available have remarkably less anti personal crime as more people take responsibility for their own defence! IMVHO

Are u really saying that the anti-personal crime rate is less in Thailand and the USA than in the UK?

Apologies for the generalisation - but I was visitng your fair city as a travelling fan supporting a certain south London football club and the reception was less than welcoming.

Far less welcoming? Is that a reason to seriously claim less safety? I should imagine any city outside London would be less welcoming to a London football supporter. That's not dangerous - it's a way of improving the species.

Edited by Tyke