Norwegian Woman And American Woman Die Of Unknown Causes on Koh Phi Phi

harrymand

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wonder why someone said that food poisoning can't kill quickly. Why not? 2-3 weeks hardly? If I have understood correctly, severe food poisoning can occur instantly and make the victim unconscious in a very short time. Here's something related below.

http://library.thinkquest.org/15873/kitche...poisoning.shtml

What Causes Food Poisoning?

Micro-organisms are the most common cause of food poisoning. As they occur in the soil, air, water and on animals, it is highly likely that they are present on all uncooked foods.

Bacterial food poisoning is of two types:

Infection by the bacteria itself which grows rapidly once inside the digestive tract of humans. This causes nausea, diarrhoea and vomiting. Salmonella and Campylobacter Jejuni are responsible for this type of food poisoning.

Infection through the eating food which contains toxins produced by bacteria, such as Clostridium botulum, Staphylococcus and Bacillus Cereus.

Salmonella

Salmonella contamination is the leading cause of food poisoning, causing diarrhoea, cramps, nausea and vomiting. Salmonella is common in raw meat, poultry and eggs and although rarely fatal, it can kill the elderly, very young or ill. Typhoid, a disease no longer common, is caused by a strain of Salmonella.

Escherichia Coli

Although E Coli is a normal inhabitant of the stomach, and quite harmless, some strains can cause infection, and can be deadly. E. Coli is one of the most common causes of upset stomachs in travellers. It is transferred through faeces, and affected animal products. Two strains which occur in under-cooked meat produce toxins which attack our kidneys and can result in death.

Poor sanitary habits increase the possibility of E Coli food poisoning; the main symptom being diarrhoea.

In 1996, an outbreak of E. coli infection among Japanese school children resulted in 6000 children becoming ill and two actually died.

Campylobacter Jejuni

Campylobacter is common in chickens and cats and dogs. Consuming undercooked poultry is the main source of this kind of food poisoning, although it is found in other animal meats and raw milk. Contaminated water is another possible source.

Campylobacter is the most common cause of infectious gastro-enteritis in humans, causing diarrhoea, cramps, fever and bloody stools.

Listeria

Listeria can grow in cold or very hot climates, with or without oxygen, particularly in soft cheeses, pates, and meat products which do not contain preservatives. It is of greatest risk when processed foods haven't been prepared hygienically, although it doesn't normally cause problems, as it is destroyed by cooking at 70 Degrees Celcius for several minutes. Listeriosis is particularly dangerous for pregnant women, causing stillbirths and miscariages.

Clostridium Botulinum

Although rare, botulism is the deadliest type of food poisoning - it has even been considered for germ warfare. Caused by an anaerobic organism "Clostridium botulinum", it can occur in home bottled or canned foods where oxygen isn't present.

Botulism develops within 12 - 36 hours after eating and the early symptoms include nausea and vomiting, tiredness, dizziness and headaches, stomach pains and diarrhoea. As the illness progresses, difficulty in speaking and swallowing occurs and finally death from respiratory failure, if not treated in time.

Staphylococcus Aureus

Staphylococcus Aureus (Golden Staph) produces toxins as it multiplies in foods high in protein, such as meats, poultry, eggs, custards and fish. Such foods should be refrigerated as soon as prepared. Heat does not destroy the toxin, which causes retching, vomiting, cramping, diarrhoea, watery stools, sweating, cold clammy skin and dehydration.

Bacillus Cereus

This bacteria is found in starchy foods and spices. Of particular danger in rice, where the spores may be present and boiling doesn't kill the bacteria but allows them to germinate. If the rice is not chilled, but left at room temperature, the bacteria multiply rapidly, producing toxins which can cause violent food poisoning.

Who gets food poisoning?

The most likely people to suffer from food poisoning are the elderly, young children and people who are unwell. Healthy adults are usually less likely to be affected.

In 1994, there was an outbreak of food poisoning at a youth camp in Australia, caused by clostridium perfringens. Cold chicken had been served, which had been cooked the day before, and left to cool for more than two hours before being refrigerated. As a result 230 youths had gastroenteritis, 13 having to be hospitalised.

WHAT BUNGALOWS???? THAT Should be public. ANyone have any friends on PHI PHI?

I know a guy that has a restaurant on Phi-Phi. I'll be back to Krabi in one week, and I will ask him. But my some dont want to speak to load about this!

I remember he mention the price on water on the island, and he was pis.... of by that the tourist use a lot of water! Because of this, there is a possibility that some hotels and restaurants "recycle" some of the water! Ugly but not impossible.

VG again doing everything they can to scare Norwegians from travelling to Phi Phi.....

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/artikkel.php?artid=562882

Family of five got sick after a day trip to Phi Phi

The Vacation was a nightmare after a lunch buffet in Phi Phi. Two people have died because of foodpoisening at the same location.

- Four out of five family members were sick. We got diarrhea, vomited, and had a fever. Both my mother and the little girl was in bed all the time, "says Lise Gregersen (39) to VG Nett.

This happened a few weeks ago, on the same island where a Norwegian girl (22) died after being poisened, and her friend (20) now lying in the hospital.

The family from Oslo was on a day trip to Phi Phi from Kamala Beach on Phuket when they visited the island 14. April.

We were on a sort of restaurant where we had a buffet. It was not so many other dining places, "says Gregersen.

Quickly after the dinner the mother noticed that something was wrong with our little girl. - She was very sick the same night.

19. April, the family left home after 2 weeks holiday in the "land of smiles." The family suffered for several weeks with stomach illness.

- It came and went. My mother recovered only a week ago, "says Gregersen

She said they are now considering to seek a doctor, after reading about the "death bacteria" which took the life of a Norwegian girl in the island paradise.

- I am thinking maybe we should take a bacteria test.

Other families are also reporting that they have had problems with foodpoisening in Phi Phi.

- Six of eight family members was sick after visiting Phi Phi, Morten Aasheim told VG, he lives in Bangkok. He says that those who were sick had to seek medical help. - Everyone in my family was so sick that we called a doctor for a home visit in our apartment in Bangkok. And the conclusion was some kind of food poisoning.

Edited by balo

And now everyone who have been to Phi Phi wants to see their faces in the newspaper.... Getting diarrhea after a medium rare steak isnt quite the same as beeing hospitalized and die, is it......

I wonder how much the paper is paying for each "story"

And now everyone who have been to Phi Phi wants to see their faces in the newspaper.... Getting diarrhea after a medium rare steak isnt quite the same as beeing hospitalized and die, is it......

Get serious. 2 people died - that we have heard of. There is an issue with the food safety and personally I don't give a dam_n what they pay. You should really put your values in order. Go wonder and have a snack at Phi Phi...

My sympathies to their family and friends. Whatever happened, it is tragedy to suddenly lose someone so young and full of life. So far from home is all the harder I'm sure.

I thank anyone for posting information on here. It is likely that family and friends will find themselves here in their search for information and answers.

Has anyone seen any mention of of this in the 2 large English papers? I see nothing online. If their audience is the english reading and speaking population how can this not be considered newsworthy? I already know the answer. But it is no less troubling.

It could be cyanide.

Andaman Times has this article today:

http://www.andamantimes.com/krabi/phi-phi/...-cyanide-found/

"Cyanide found – water treatment plant may be cause

Traces of cyanide has been found in the stomach of the Norwegian victim who died at Phi Phi over the weekend. The fiancée of the American woman suspect she was poisoned from chemicals of a nearby water treatment plant.

Published by Andaman News Team - 06/05/2009 - Modified 07/05/2009 A Norwegian newspaper reports tonight that traces of cyanide was found during the preliminary autopsy of 22 year old Julie Michelle Bergheim in Phuket. The fiancée of the American woman suspect she was poisoned from chemicals from a nearby water treatment plant.

Andaman Times has NOT confirmed this information independently.

- We were surprised to find traces of cyanide in her stomach. We decided to send the body for a new autopsy in Bangkok. We do not have any reason to suspect anything at this time, but we can not rule out anything or anyone, said head of police at Phi Phi Islands, Khun Nopadon Klomthong to Nettavisen.

The fiancée of Jill Sheree St. Onge (27) believe she was poisoned from chemicals of a nearby water treatment plant.

- I found out later that there is a water treatment plant right behind the guesthouse. I feel that Jill was poisoned by a chemical from that plant. She spent about 5 more hours in the room than I did. She was just breathing in the fumes for so long. The only reason I did not get deathly ill, is that I kept getting these short breaks from the air in the room, writes Ryan Kells on a family blog."

Hope the police solve this case quickly...Bad publicity for Phi Phi Islands and Thailand. They don't need this.

Get serious. 2 people died - that we have heard of. There is an issue with the food safety and personally I don't give a dam_n what they pay. You should really put your values in order. Go wonder and have a snack at Phi Phi...

Values.. exactly. When people make the news because they got sick on phi phi last year, im just wondering what their intentions are.

And my sympathies ARE with the people involved

We NEED definitive confirmation of the guest house that the victims were staying in....

I know a poster claims to have spoken to the brother and has posted the name previously. How he would know the brother we don't know.

It's strange that the same name isn't posted by the mother on her blog on another site. I know if it were my child I would put the name there up front.

The chances are that these people were purposely poisoned probably with cyanide or a mix of drugs.

Don't keep the guest house name secret otherwise there lacks credibility to the whole story....

We could easily be dealing with terrorists here. There are various poisons being tested out there as we speak. These include radiation pills, cyanide caps and nerve gasses. Sorry to say, but western back packers are very vulnerable. The Thai authorities will go with whoever pays them the most only...

A third death on Phi Phi Islands are also reported in Norwegian and Swedish newspapers:

A 46 year old Norwegian man who died a month ago. What's happening...

Translation from Swedish newspaper "Aftonbladet":

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article5084656.ab

Google translation:

"Poisoned in the tourist paradise had cyanide in the stomach.

In the time of one day two female tourists died after they suddenly become ill on the Phi Phi Islands in Thailand.

In one of them cyanide has been found in the stomach.

A 22-year-old Norwegian died on Monday, just a few hours after a 26-year-old American suddenly became ill and died on the way to hospital. The Norwegian woman's friend also fell ill and was sent to hospital on the mainland, but she recovered.

Police and doctors suspect that they become food poisoned.

New examination

An initial forensic examination has been made of the deceased's body.

"- To our great surprise we found cyanide in her stomach, "says Nopadon Klom Thong, Police on the Phi Phi Islands, to the Norwegian Nettavisen.

The woman's remains are now sent to Bangkok for a full autopsy. Even the American woman is to undergo autopsy in Bangkok.

The Thai police, who examine the deaths, say that they "have no reason to believe that a crime has been committed, but police 'rule out nothing. "

The two Norwegian women had studied in Australia and was only on a short visit to Thailand before returning to Norway.

Became ill

The American woman who lived with her boyfriend, in the same hotel as the Norwegian women, suddenly became ill, writes the Thai Andaman Times newspaper. All those who fell ill had trouble with their stomach - not with the lungs, allowing the exclusion of things that can be spread through inhalation.

According to VG (Norwegian newspaper) a 46-year-old Norwegian man died on the Phi Phi Islands for a month ago. He was on honeymoon when he became ill, probably suffering from food poisoning."

What's happening on the Phi Phi Islands...?

I feel sorry for the victims and their relatives whatever the death causes are.

Edited by Zephyr750C

A review of the people involved. If our Norwegian members can confirm about #2's name and that #4 and #5 have been unnamed.

1. The Norwegian woman, of the OP that died, is Julie Michelle Bergheim.

2. The Norwegian woman, that was Julie's companion and got ill but survived, identified as "Venninnen"?

3. The American woman, that died at the same guesthouse, is Jill Sheree St. Onge.

4. There was another Norwegian woman, at the same guesthouse that died in April, is unnamed. Her autopsy is not ready.

5. There was a 46 year-old Norwegian man, that died also in April, is unnamed.

6. There is an unidentified nationality man, that died this month, and found in the waters of Phi Phi and is the subject of the separate thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Dead-Foreign...-I-t262091.html

That makes 5 unexplained deaths and 1 nearly died in Phi Phi, all in the very recent past.

Edited by sriracha john

Online translation of Norwegian news:

http://www.nettavisen.no/utenriks/article2619616.ece

Police on the Phi Phi Islands said that the preliminary autopsy report shows the discovery of cyanide in the deceased Julie Michelle Bergheim

PHI PHI / OSLO (Manager): The local police on the Phi Phi Islands to the Manager says that cyanide was found in the deceased Julie Michelle Bergheim (22) during the initial investigation of the girl in Phuket.

- To our great surprise, it was found cyanide in her stomach. Surprise was so great that she was sent to a new autopsy in Bangkok, said Police Chief Nopadon Klom Thong on Phi Phi Islands to the Manager.

- We have no reason to believe that there has been any criminal, but can not exclude anyone, Thong said the Manager.

Do not conclude whether the cause of death even if it is to be found cyanide in the survey of Bergheim, this does not mean that the police in any way have concluded with some cause of death. The woman is now an autopsy by forensics in Bangkok. Norwegian authorities on Wednesday afternoon had not received a preliminary autopsy report.

Nettavisen visited Wednesday the guest house where 22-year-old Bergheim lived with her 20-year-old Norwegian girlfriend. In the room was wall to wall "was the American woman Jill (27) lived with her partner, Ryan Kells. Sheree died in hospital on Phi Phi Sunday morning. At the 01am-time Monday night, Bergheim died in the same hospital.

Ryan Kells has previously said that the fiancé Jill had been in the room the whole Saturday, and that he therefore believed that the fiancée had been poisoned by the air in the room. Now, he writes on his blog that he suspects that the fiancée was poisoned by chemicals from water treatment plant nearby, writes the newspaper Andaman Times online. Bergheim lived wall to wall with Jill and Kells. *I take this to mean their rooms were next door to each other.*

Both women were transported to hospital in Phuket, where it was researched. There is also the Norwegian, who also became sick.

- Our primary focus is to get her friend well, while we, in cooperation with the police and central health authorities, putting significant resources into getting resolved the cause of the tragedy, "said Deputy Managing Doctor, Bodin La-ied, said Wednesday morning.

Bodin says that it has taken a number of samples of women, and that all the results of these will not be ready until about three weeks. He says, however, that all three women have been hit in the stomach and intestines, not in the lungs.

He therefore believes that the air in the room have not taken the life of such Kells thinks.

Also the woman who survived have been sick in the stomach. - When she arrived at the hospital, she had in over a day and has been sick for their own statements thrown up a great many times, "he said.

The two women had been out and anchored on Saturday night, and come home in the 02am-time of Sunday night when they both were sick.

- She said that she and the friend was on the bar Saturday night. They had bought a so-called bucket-drink, a great cocktail drink characteristic for Phi Phi.

Drink had so divided between them, says Bodin. They had nausea and threw up. First, they believed that it was alcohol.

After each was oppkastene so many and so powerful that they contacted the hospital.

American Kells told that her partner was in the room the whole Saturday, and that she complained of stomach pain and vomited when he got home by 02am-time night to Sunday. Even had he been poor in the 04am-time.

Fiancée died in other words a few hours later in hospital.

Edited by sriracha john

EDITORIAL: Everyone deserve answers

The two deaths of a Norwegian and American tourist must be solved without delay. *As pointed in Post # 72, there's actually been five very recent deaths.*

The deaths of a Norwegian and American tourist at Phi Phi have created the kind of headlines the Andaman coast doesn’t need now. More than 500,000 Scandinavians are expected to visit the Andaman coast in 2009. These cases need to be solved without delay by the authorities.

The grieving relatives of Julie Michelle Bergheim (22) from Drammen, Norway and Jill Sheree St. Onge (27) from Seattle, USA deserve answers on how two healthy young women who were taking a break at Phi Phi Islands suddenly died within hours last weekend.

It is also in the best interest of the tourism sectors that these cases are solved within days. Local news media, with the exception of Phuket Wan and Andaman Times, have not reported on the suspicious deaths.

Newspapers from Norway and the US are following these cases closely. A number of journalists are currently in the Andaman region or on their way to push further and try to get the answers. Representatives of the Norwegian police, which is stationed in Bangkok, are reportedly in Phuket as an observant.

The grieving relatives of 27 year old Jill Sheree St. Onge, who was waiting for her to return home after a three month trip to Asia, demands answers. They are frustrated from lack of answers to what happened to their daughter, sister and fiancé.

- My young and vibrant 27 year old daughter Jill Sheree St. Onge from Seattle, WA suddenly died May 1st while vacationing in Thailand on the Island of Koh Phi Phi Don, writes the grieving mother on her blog.

There are other unanswered questions. Another Norwegian died one month ago, and according to the Norwegian police he was staying in the same guesthouse at Phi Phi. These is also another cases, as reported by Phuket Gazette over the weekend, where a corpse of a foreigner was found floating off Phi Phi the same weekend Ms. Bergheim and Ms. St. Onge fell ill and died.

In her latest blog entry, Ms St. Onge, gives the region the kind of exposure it deserves:

“hey hey! We’re in koh phi phi right now. It’s off the west coast of Thailand about a 2 hour boat ride from krabi. So amazing. …just drinking eating and living so cheaply and having a blast. Food, drink, good books, sun and warm waters… What else do ya need? have just been wondering why we don’t live here.”

Thailand and the Andaman region doesn’t need more bad press and unsolved deaths. We demand answers.

- Andaman Times / 2009-05-07

Edited by sriracha john

Only 1 person for the job! Khunying Pornthip Rojanasunand M.D.

A Bangkok special epidemiologist is already on Phi Phi, seeking to find the reason behind the mysterious fatalities.

Thailand's top forensic scientist, Dr Pornthip Rojanasunand, is expected to be involved in autopsies to determine what killed the women.

- Phuket Wan / 2009-05-06

The biggest newspaper in Norway, Aftenposten with this story today:

http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/uriks/article3062737.ece

Julie Michelle Bergheim (22) from Drammen died Monday at a hospital in Phuket in Thailand after being poisoned in the popular resort of Phi Phi .

The local police on the island launched an investigation of the incident, and the preliminary autopsy report shows that Bergheim had cyanide in the stomach.

- The police were surprised by the discovery

- To our great surprise, it was found cyanide in her stomach. It was so surprising that the body was sent to a new autopsy in Bangkok, the police chief Nopadon Klom Thong on Phi Phi Islands told Nettavisen.

Cyanide is highly toxic and can kill a human , even in low concentrations.

The poison works very quickly. It causes internal suffocation with a characteristic blue colour of the skin, according to Wikipedia.

It is not known whether it was cyanide poisoning that killed Bergheim. The police still have no reason to believe that there is something criminal behind the death. The final autopsy report is not ready until about six to seven months.

Bergheim traveled with a 20-year-old girlfriend from Central Norway. The two are students in Australia, and had been visiting Phi Phi on the way home to Norway.

The 20 year old was also acutely ill, but survived, and now receive treatment at Phuket hosptal, according to Adressa.no.

The hospital in Thailand said that the women may have been poisoned by a drink they shared together.

The death is connected to an American woman (27) who died under similar circumstances. She lived in the apartment next to the Norwegian women in a guest house.

The 20 year old have told her friends that they both throwing up when they came home from the city around 2 in the morning.

The students believed then it was a response to the alcohol they had consumed, but soon it got a lot worse. Both startes throwing up over a hundred times and was sent to the local hospital on Phi Phi.

Late Sunday evening the 20 year old was transferred to the Phuket hospital , on the mainland five miles away.

- When she arrived at the hospital, she had been sick for almost 24 hours and throwing up many times. Despite the fact that she was heavily dehydrated she continued to vommiting, and the first thing we had to do was to restore the fluid balance.

All this had also led her into a state of chock, she was very depressed and her stress level was very high , " explain Doctor Bodin La-ied to Nettavisen.

As a result of the woman's physical and mental health, she is being followed up by a psychiatrist.

Urine and blood samples have been taken , but the results are probably not ready until about two weeks.

Another Norwegian who died in April with the same symptoms, , lived in the same hotel as Julie Michelle Bergheim, according to dt.no.

- The autopsy report is still not ready, "says Tor Steinhagen to the newspaper

Edited by balo

Maybe its about time to have the name of this guest house ??

And I hope the owner and staff there are cooperating with the police to find the cause of this tragedy.

:)

My condolences to the families concerned.

I realise it is unwise to speculate until all the facts are out but by reading these posts there appears to be a lot of confusion & misinformation, intentional or otherwise, & the way it is being handled or mishandled by the authorities the true facts may never be revealed. Anyway, has anyone considered this could be the work of a serial killer?

laleena house is the name of the place!!

Oh no.........this is very tragic for the victims/families.

It is also yet another blow to tourism.........a serious one.

I hope they catch the person or persons responsible for this.

Julie Michelle Bergheim (22) from Drammen died Monday at a hospital in Phuket in Thailand after being poisoned in the popular resort of Phi Phi .

Thank you again for your translations, balo. :)

Have you come across across any information in Norway that identifies

1. Julie's traveling companion?

2. The other young Norwegian woman that diedl?

3. The middle-aged Norwegian man that died?

Edited by sriracha john

...and still not a report about this in the PhuketGazette! yet the instant a tourist falls off a motorbike and gets squashed under a truck and dies they report it.

This is a response from Ryan Kells, Jills' fiance, to the poorly written Phuketwan article>>>

"I was Jills fiancee. For a doctor to say that she was drinking was ridiculous. Jill had been Ill since the afternoon. How could she have told nurse anything. She was unconcious by the time I got her to the hospital. This article makes me irate. There is a water treatment plant right next to the guesthouse. How coincidental for 3 people to have the same symptoms, 2 die and 1 in ICU. We stayed right next door to the Norwegian girls. There is a chemical that killed two girls and almost one more. I cant even begin to believe that this doctor would lie about jills case. Let me repeat. Jill had no alcohol that night. It had nothing to do with a hangover. I can not believe that anyone would make up such a lie."

Edited by phuketrex

I'm sorry , no names have been released over here except Julie Bergheim .

I'm sorry , no names have been released over here except Julie Bergheim .

Thank you for trying and please let us know if any are given in the future. With this topic now expanded to covering 5 unexplained deaths and 1 near-death, it could go a long way in helping everyone to sort out who's who.

Thank you for trying and please let us know if any are given in the future. With this topic now expanded to covering 5 unexplained deaths and 1 near-death, it could go a long way in helping everyone to sort out who's who.

5?

Jill St. Onge

Julie Bergheim

The man found in the sea at the weekend

The middleaged Norwegian a month ago

Who is the 5th?

suggest to investigators:

>>> do a thorough check on the water treatment facilities, particularly the one near the guest house.

>>> close the guesthouse up tight for now. Don't allow anyone to stay there now!

>>> medically examine those who have recently stayed/worked at the guesthouse.

>>> thoroughly examine the air.con units there. ....and the water

Earlier, I had speculated that it might be Legionnaires disease - though now looks doubtful, as L.disease is like a bad flu, and doesn't debilitate quickly.

Seeing the photos of the vibrant two young women - really jabs the reality home. How sad, really.

...and still not a report about this in the PhuketGazette! yet the instant a tourist falls off a motorbike and gets squashed under a truck and dies they report it.

This is a response from Ryan Kells, Jills' fiance, to the poorly written Phuketwan article>>>

"I was Jills fiancee. For a doctor to say that she was drinking was ridiculous. Jill had been Ill since the afternoon. How could she have told nurse anything. She was unconcious by the time I got her to the hospital. This article makes me irate. There is a water treatment plant right next to the guesthouse. How coincidental for 3 people to have the same symptoms, 2 die and 1 in ICU. We stayed right next door to the Norwegian girls. There is a chemical that killed two girls and almost one more. I cant even begin to believe that this doctor would lie about jills case. Let me repeat. Jill had no alcohol that night. It had nothing to do with a hangover. I can not believe that anyone would make up such a lie."

I guess the Phuket Gazette is busy finding out the true facts before putting out a story. When it involves grieving families, tourism and suspicious circumstances it would be irresponsible to rush a story like this as above.

So, despite the previous assertions that the Norwegian girls rented the same room immediately after, it seems that is not necessarily true?