Job Vancancy: British Honorary Consul In Chiangmai

Boater

It wood seam that you don't knead two bee able too spell two apply four this "Vancancy"

How emborassing!

Oh really?...Skills required:

• Excellent command of English both written and spoken.

I also double checked my application prior to posting :)

I think the biggest stumbling block would be the payment of 1500 pounds per anum. They seem to want a heck of a lots out of you for that measly amount of money

true, but if you have a buiness in Chaing Mai it can be very beneficial

I think the biggest stumbling block would be the payment of 1500 pounds per anum. They seem to want a heck of a lots out of you for that measly amount of money

I have already sent my application in.

As Tennis Captain and a Member In Good Standing at The Chiengmai Gymkhana Sports Club, I think there's no doubt that the job is mine. To those that were thinking of applying, I can only say 'Hard cheese, better luck next time, old boy'. :)

Anyone for Tennis?

Edited by chiangmaioldhand

I think the biggest stumbling block would be the payment of 1500 pounds per anum. They seem to want a heck of a lots out of you for that measly amount of money.

Maybe they've missed a 0 out!?!?! :) 15,000 pounds per annum wouldn't be too bad I guess in Chiang Mai. :D

As Tennis Captain and a Member In Good Standing at The Chiengmai Gymkhana Sports Club, I think there's no doubt that the job is mine. To those that were thinking of applying, I can only say 'Hard cheese, better luck next time, old boy'. :)

Anyone for Tennis?

AND !!, here was I thinking that "the Chiengmai Gymkhana Sports Club" was the bastion of cricket in the "far east"

You know "mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun" and all that stuff "old boy"

In tropical climes

There are certain times

Of day

When all the citizens retire

To take their clothes off and perspire.

It's one of those rules

That the greatest fools

Obey,

Because the sun is far too sultry

And one must avoid its ultry

Violet ray.

The natives grieve

When the white men leave

Their huts.

Because they're obviously,

Definitely

Nuts.

Mad Dogs & Englishmen

Go out in the midday sun.

The Japanese don't care to,

The Chinese wouldn't dare to,

Hindus and Argentines

Sleep firmly from twelve to one,

But Englishmen

Detest a

Siesta.

In the Philippines

They have lovely screens

To protect you from the glare.

In the Malay states

There are hats like plates

Which the Britishers won't wear.

At twelve noon

The natives swoon,

And no further work is done,

But mad dogs and Englishmen

Go out in the midday sun!

Such a surprise

For the eastern eyes

To see,

That though the English are effete,

They're quite impervious to heat.

When the white man rides

Every native hides

In glee.

Because the simple creatures hope he

Will impale his solar topee

On a tree.

It seems such a shame

When the English claim

The Earth,

That they give rise

To such hilarity

And mirth.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,

Hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo,

He, he, he, he, he, he, he, he,

Hm, hm, hm, hm, hm, hm.

Mad dogs and Englishmen

The toughest Burmese bandit

Can never understand it.

In Rangoon

The heat of noon

Is just what the natives shun,

They put their Scotch

Or Rye down

And lie down.

In a jungle town

Where the sun beats down

To the rage of man and beast,

The English garb

Of the English sahib

Merely gets a bit more creased.

In Bangkok

At twleve'o'clock

They foam at the mouth and run,

Mad dogs and Englishmen

The smallest Malay rabbit

Deplores this foolish habit.

In Hong Kong

They strike a gong

And fire off a noonday gun

To reprimand

Each inmate

Who's in late.

In the Mangrove swamps

Where the python romps

There is peace from twelve to two,

Even caribous

Lie around and snooze,

For there's nothing else to do.

In Bengal,

To move at all

Is seldom if ever done.

Go out in the midday

Out in the midday

Out in the midday

Out in the midday

Out in the midday

Out in the midday

Out in the midday sun!

Anyone for Tennis?

AND !!, here was I thinking that "the Chiengmai Gymkhana Sports Club" was the bastion of cricket in the "far east"

You know "mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun" and all that stuff "old boy"

I'm glad to say I have both the song and Video. For those less fortunate you can see him in full flight on u-tube. A classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdEnxNog56E

Don't forget to check out 'Don't put your daughter on the stage Mrs Worthington'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDAJxazhZvM...feature=related

and 'Don't let's be beastly to the Germans'

Edited by chiangmaioldhand

Anyone for Tennis?

Maybe you could get one of those free water dispensers installed in the consulate if you get the job :D

Traditionally the Director of the British Council CM assumes the role of Honorary Consul. Is John, the current director, moving on?

I would think a pretty thankless task being the HC. Due you remember that thread on here a few months back when that idiot from England tried to scam his insurance policy but was caught and locked up? The HC worked at getting him out and was repaid by the idiot telling the Watford Gazette that the HC paid a bribe to the police. 100% sure the HC would not pay a bribe but why let that get in the way of a crap story.

I nominate Flatouthruthefog . A fine English gentleman if there ever was one.

Me too. I already sent him an e-mail and told him to apply!

Hi and many thanks to you you two. I am truly flattened.

However, my need to earn more than the crust on offer gets in the way of this, plus my lack of patience, especially when dealing with the sort of idiots mentioned by Loaded.

This sounds selfish, so I'll elaborate briefly. I am one of a small, informal group of Thais and mixed-nationality expats who do help people with advice on a regular basis. We don't advertise or publish names and contact details, we just keep our big ears open wide.

Loaded, you are perfectly correct. For several years now, the post has gone along with that of Director of the British Council CM, and Jon leaves for another long-scheduled posting next month.

Although his replacement arrives any moment to start taking up the cudgels at the Council, this formal ad from the Embassy shows that the 2 posts are being seperated. No idea why. Hopefully, the wonderful long term 'secretary', Panita, and her current assistant will stay.

It would be rather ember-arsing to propose individuals here willy-nilly for what is quite a responsible and demanding part-time job. If any of us have someone in mind, how about asking them directly first, then if they agree, encouraging them to reply directly to the Embassy ad?

I have sent them an email, commenting on said spelling mistakes and underlining the English skills required.

I wonder if I'll get a reply........... :)

Well would you believe it, I did get a reply.

Kind of restores the faith somewhat.............. :D

Dear Mr ............

Thank you for pointing out this typo. I'll ask the person responsible to amend it.

Regards,

Gordon MacLeod

H M Consul

British Embassy, Bangkok

Edited by LeungKen

I have sent them an email, commenting on said spelling mistakes and underlining the English skills required.

I wonder if I'll get a reply........... :)

Dear Mr ............

Thank you for pointing out this typo. I'll ask the person responsible to amend it.

Regards,

Gordon MacLeod

H M Consul

British Embassy, Bangkok

Absolutely!! It is the British Embassy after all.

I wonder if I'll get a reply........... :D

Dear Mr ............

Regards,

Gordon MacLeod

H M Consul

British Embassy, Bangkok

In the old days H.M. Consul would have written "typographical error" instead of "typo".

Standards have slipped somewhat... :)

:D

For several years now, the post has gone along with that of Director of the British Council CM, and Jon leaves for another long-scheduled posting next month.

Although his replacement arrives any moment to start taking up the cudgels at the Council, this formal ad from the Embassy shows that the 2 posts are being seperated. No idea why. Hopefully, the wonderful long term 'secretary', Panita, and her current assistant will stay.

I heard that the status of BC CM will be downgraded and there will no longer be a Director. However, there will be a new position of Centre Manager. I guess that's why the posts are to be separated.

I wonder if I'll get a reply........... :D

Dear Mr ............

Regards,

Gordon MacLeod

H M Consul

British Embassy, Bangkok

In the old days H.M. Consul would have written "typographical error" instead of "typo".

Standards have slipped somewhat... :)

:D

Moreover, errors (including 'typos') surely are corrected, not 'amended'.

I may be withdrawing my application - someone suggested that you don't get to keep the funds from all the nice little earners like 'proof of residency', 'proof of marriage' etc. So where does the money go and what exactly would be in it for me? :)

Good lord how on earth can you expect to keep those, they go towards paying for Gordon's cleaning lady.