Why When In Mc Donalds I Ask For 'salt And Mayonaise' They Only Hear 'salt' ?

spaceshipcrew

You know what I really hate about McDonald's here. "DJ Kelly". If you didn't notice McDonald's has what they call McDonald's radio (the sound of trendy). They play pop music, usually quite loudly and run ads for the food, and they have this chick called DJ Kelly and she has the most atrocious annoying way of talking that makes you think she learned how to speak English on Mars. She emphasizes all the wrong syllables in the most pretentious and forced manner. My wife also finds her annoying.

They could not a found anyone in Thailand with worse habits in speaking English. She must be related to a big boss.

Yes it's a tiny problem, I probably won't leave Thailand over it, but this seems to be a thread about petty annoyances so that is one of mine.

Sounds like a Singaporean.

For an English speaking nation they have the worst English I have ever heard. Lah.

God I hate Singapore.

Oops, sorry we are talking about McD in Thailand. My bad.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I dont think that Thai people use a lot of Salt & mayo.

Then I must have been extremely lucky :) , often my salad are drenched in sweet mayo like substance. Once I even hit the jack pot, bought a pizza were the cheese had been replace by above mentioned substance (looked like melted cheese though).

KFC has some nicely built tall ladies... :)

I cant believe someone comes on to this forum and openly admits to eating Thai KFC.

Tried it once and thought it must have been a mistake, so went back another time and it was confirmed to be the most vile excuse for chicken a man could eat. :D

But the ice cream is good.

I'm actually surprised that you can ask for salt and get salt. Usually, every Thai will hear this as sauce and give you tomato ketchup. Usually I will have to use the Thai word เกลือ gleua

You can try น้ำสลัด náam sà-làt for mayonnaise although you may get salad cream, not mayo.

มาย็องเนส mayongnet , some will understand.

KFC in some places is good - in others' terrible. There is no consistency.

You know what I really hate about McDonald's here. "DJ Kelly". If you didn't notice McDonald's has what they call McDonald's radio (the sound of trendy). They play pop music, usually quite loudly and run ads for the food, and they have this chick called DJ Kelly and she has the most atrocious annoying way of talking that makes you think she learned how to speak English on Mars. She emphasizes all the wrong syllables in the most pretentious and forced manner. My wife also finds her annoying.

They could not a found anyone in Thailand with worse habits in speaking English. She must be related to a big boss.

Yes it's a tiny problem, I probably won't leave Thailand over it, but this seems to be a thread about petty annoyances so that is one of mine.

It is funny to notice, that some Thais, who can speak English a bit better than the average, try to impress with that "wanna be American" accent.

As this post covers language difficulties and perhaps poor service this happened to myself on Samui last week. At a restaurant that allegedly employs waitresses who have good English skills, the name ends in 'der'.

On the menu from the grill. - Pork or chicken fillet with mushroom sauce, fries and salad.

I order the pork.

Waitress returns with meal and says 'chicken'

It does look like pork but covered in sauce, I could be wrong.

I say no, I order the pork. Said in English then in Thai.

Waitress looking confused calls over colleague and after some discussion, other waitress shouts at me saying, - 'Chicken on top-, pork underneath'

I eat the meal, it was pork only, very nice & as usual when you leave 'stupid farang' looks from the ever so helpful duo.

McDonald's has got very thin female staff though; Swensens as well. I would love to read their recruitment adverts: 'no porkies need apply - thanks'. I love Thailand's complete lack of political correctness. If you want a 23 year old sex kitten as a waitress, you can advertise that you want a 23 year old sex kitten. In the west you would be arrested because you're excluding fat ugly people!!!

In the Uk job centre they stopped a guy advertising for " Hard working staff " As it discriminated against staff that were not hard working :) Here always found the Thai's very friendly even if they do not aways know exactly what you are asking for :D

McDonald's has got very thin female staff though; Swensens as well. I would love to read their recruitment adverts: 'no porkies need apply - thanks'. I love Thailand's complete lack of political correctness. If you want a 23 year old sex kitten as a waitress, you can advertise that you want a 23 year old sex kitten. In the west you would be arrested because you're excluding fat ugly people!!!

I am not going to complain about McDonalds, KFC, whatever.  THey are fast food chains, and I pretty much get what I expect there.  

However, I too, have wondered why all the fast food chains seem to have a very high proportion of quite skinny women and men working there.  I have considered that they might hire predominantly skinny people to belie the fact that fast food tends to make the consumer fat.  

I thought I was beeing too suspicious, but after reading some of these posts, perhaps that is a valid conclusion to make.

English is a second language her for starter, second why not say MAYO when asking for mayonaise. Most times it is very noisey in McDonalds and hard to hear every word. :)

If I ask for "mayonnaise," no one usually understands me.  But if I say "mayo," I have no problem getting what I want.

The same with the TT&T callcenter when I -more times a week- call to complain about internet downtime. They really can't remember a simple 6 digit phone number you give them. Haven't they got really no lessons in human relations, learn how to deal with people ? Why they all have jobs they don't understand ?

The annoyed feeling I get here so often will make me leave this country soon, 8 years (Chiangmai, of all places) is enough ! If you see improvements it may be worth to give it a chance, but really it's seems getting worse and worse, they are not polite anymore, in restaurants they smash the food on your table, not keep the door open for the person behind them, jumping the que... etc etc, ignorance is the new enemy of this country.

Thai service staff strive to be helpful but alas they are not equipped with the skills necessary to interact with English speakers. Most here only the first word before the brain goes into hyper drive in an attempt to sort out how to please you.

You have set your expectations far too high. We are in their country and if you are not fluent in the local language how can you find fault with customer service. I would suggest you dial your expectations down to zero. This serves two purposes, first being that you will never be disappointed. Second, if service staff does something well it will be the highlight of your day.

No, you know what the solution for this ? Looking them in the eye, raising one finger when you say 'sald' and raising a second finger when you say 'mayonaise' which make them realize you asked for TWO things in one sentence. Even then sometimes they forget but usually it helps !

Thats how I learned to solve this, hehe...

Just see Thailand as a big kindergarten and it's all more easy. Actually a large part of the adults have the mental level, responsibility, understanding, cause-and-effect awareness etc. of a 6 (4?) year old back in Europe.

Better yet just say Pom Kor Gluua le maayoongneet

Try to visualize this................

Back where ever you come from a Thai walks into McDonald's.

Tells the counter girl Mai ow Nam Keng Krup

Then the girl start putting ice in his cup anyway.

He starts yelling MAI OW NAM KENG !!!!!

How about this same person calls the internet provider. They ask his number & he says song song ha- hok hok jet jet

Wonder how well the internet provider would remember that?

Is it because they have jobs they dont understand?

Now tell me again why Thailand is a big Kindergarten?

Which adults closely resemble Kindergarten kids who cannot even communicate?

^Thank you for pointing out to us that English isn't a worldwide accepted language where as Thai is taught in every school in the universe.

The same with the TT&T callcenter when I -more times a week- call to complain about internet downtime. They really can't remember a simple 6 digit phone number you give them. Haven't they got really no lessons in human relations, learn how to deal with people ? Why they all have jobs they don't understand ?

The annoyed feeling I get here so often will make me leave this country soon, 8 years (Chiangmai, of all places) is enough ! If you see improvements it may be worth to give it a chance, but really it's seems getting worse and worse, they are not polite anymore, in restaurants they smash the food on your table, not keep the door open for the person behind them, jumping the que... etc etc, ignorance is the new enemy of this country.

Thai service staff strive to be helpful but alas they are not equipped with the skills necessary to interact with English speakers. Most here only the first word before the brain goes into hyper drive in an attempt to sort out how to please you.

You have set your expectations far too high. We are in their country and if you are not fluent in the local language how can you find fault with customer service. I would suggest you dial your expectations down to zero. This serves two purposes, first being that you will never be disappointed. Second, if service staff does something well it will be the highlight of your day.

If a company advertises or a restaurant has it's menu in the English language, then it is a reasonable assumption that they are capable of conducting their business using the English language.

^Thank you for pointing out to us that English isn't a worldwide accepted language where as Thai is taught in every school in the universe.

Ah yes sorry :)

Then again when in Rome eh?

BTW: Thai is taught in the vicinity they are complaining about

If a company advertises or a restaurant has it's menu in the English language, then it is a reasonable assumption that they are capable of conducting their business using the English language.

you would think so......

The McDonald's here has their menu in Japanese too.

I guarantee you none of the counter help here speak Japanese.

I see it more as a courtesy to the many Japanese that visit here. Helps them but in the end they do as the OP does & points.

I see it more as a courtesy to the many Japanese that visit here. Helps them but in the end they do as the OP does & points.

I had a Japanese exchange student stay in my house in San Diego for three weeks.  We went to McDoOnalds where she proudly walked up to the counter and said, "Bigo Maku, plee!" When the young lady behind the counter looked at her with a look oftotal incomprehension, the student tried again, and her English got even worse.  I finally had to step in, and the student ate in mortified silence as she contemplated her 9 years of English lessons which culminated in her not even able to order fast food in the US.

Learn Thai you lazy git. You can post about it on an internet forum when it would be a lot easier to look up a dictionary. Are you from USA?

http://english-thai-dictionary.com/index.p...255cdeaad2&

English is a second language her for starter, second why not say MAYO when asking for mayonaise. Most times it is very noisey in McDonalds and hard to hear every word. :)

If I ask for "mayonnaise," no one usually understands me.  But if I say "mayo," I have no problem getting what I want.

'"ma yon" not "may on"

I had a Japanese exchange student stay in my house in San Diego for three weeks. We went to McDoOnalds where she proudly walked up to the counter and said, "Bigo Maku, plee!" When the young lady behind the counter looked at her with a look oftotal incomprehension, the student tried again, and her English got even worse. I finally had to step in, and the student ate in mortified silence as she contemplated her 9 years of English lessons which culminated in her not even able to order fast food in the US.

That's a cracker!

I had a Japanese exchange student stay in my house in San Diego for three weeks. We went to McDoOnalds where she proudly walked up to the counter and said, "Bigo Maku, plee!" When the young lady behind the counter looked at her with a look oftotal incomprehension, the student tried again, and her English got even worse. I finally had to step in, and the student ate in mortified silence as she contemplated her 9 years of English lessons which culminated in her not even able to order fast food in the US.

Classic :)

I think so yes, or let managars just stop that completely misplaced pretentions and stop using English in advertisements.

After stepping around here for 12 years and living for 8 years I do speak fluent Thai, just something inside made me stop using it (only for the respectable people usually elderly, and the many 'old style' friendly people I meet when in the province) and think 'it's about time Thai learn to speak English.

You don't help an infant to just laugh about his stupid mistakes, sometimes you may give a hint. Ofcourse my reason to stay here is not to behave like a neurotic teacher or missionary, just that they can be so helpless...

Maybe my problem is being in Chiangmai too long and started to feel 'at home' in this hole, and compare everything with my 'real home'...

Whatever :)

"Bigo Maku, plee!"

Plee would be Thai style, dropping the last syllable of so many words.

In Japanese, it would be : pu-ri-- zu プ リ- ズ

They pronunciate everything, including the kitchen sink. Also, Bigu ビ-- グ rather than Bigo.

Their English pronunciation is probably worse than most Thais.

Edited by Texpat

"Bigo Maku, plee!"

Plee would be Thai style, dropping the last syllable of so many words.

In Japanese, it would be : pu-ri-- zu プ リ- ズ

They pronunciate everything, including the kitchen sink. Also, Bigu ビ-- グ rather than Bigo.

Their English pronunciation is probably worse than most Thais.

Sorry I didn't get her to transliterate and write down her mispronunciations!  :)

She certainly could have said "Bigu" instead of "Bigo" as my mind remembers it, but I do recall telling her after that she had to add the "z" after the "plee."

You should try pronouncing mayonnaise as ma-yong-ned. I bet it'll be easier for them to comprehend. As for DJ Kelly at McDonald's "The Sound of Trendy", I think she sounds adorable! McDonald's is big on CSR. And they always make the earnest attempt to hire individual with disability. DJ Kelly clearly has some form disability which manifests in her speech impediment. Kudos to her for overcoming her own adversity and acquiring what seems like the impossible job for her kind.

the reason most thais in the fast food places are skinny is because most people that apply for the positions are skinny,most thai people are skinny full stop.

how many fat thais do you see waddling around thge streets.

big c's kfc in Bang phlee has fat girls working there,they probably got fat as a result of working there.

It's just an idea, but maybe you look like a miserable git and they are fed up with dealing with people who live here long term but can't speak the language. Yes, from time to time I have had people jump a queue (the last time this happened, I told the offender off in Thai) and they rarely check behind themselves after passing through a doorway, but overall I'm quite happy. As far as service staff go, I find Thai people to be very pleasant. Even the toilet attendant thanked me yesterday, although I'm not quite sure what for.

I have never had anyone smash food down at my table. The more I think about it, the more I feel sure the problem is you.