New Born Alien Baby

Junior is due to come into this world mid July to Brit father and Filipino mother both Non-Imm B Visa holders working as teachers in Ratchaburi. Can anyone advise on what we need to do and within what time limits to regularise Junior's stay in the Kingdom as we both intend to stay here for the forseeable future?Presumably at some stage he needs a passport and a visa? I know what we need to do in terms of registering his birth locally and with our respective embassies etc but would welcome a steer on what we need to do to make sure Junior does not inadvertently fall foul of immigration.Many thanks.

Children do not pay overstays.

If you plan a trip out you should get the passport(s) and when you leave show the birth certificate. Then get a non-o visa before your return this should be easy to get since you both have visas/extensions.

After you get back here get the child an extension of stay at immigration as your dependent.

Thanks Joe. So if we go to the Philippines at Xmas apply in Manila for a Non Imm O then get it extended on return to Thailand? I take it that so long as we do not take Junior out of Thailand between birth in July and Christmas then he does not actually need any form of visa and that if we do take him out of the country then wherever we go apply for visa there? thanks

Could he/she get a Thai citizenship? If you wanted to stay here indefinitely a quick route to permanent residence is to have a child with a Thai passport. You get right to the front of the queue, and don't even need to be working here for 3yrs steady.

Could he/she get a Thai citizenship? If you wanted to stay here indefinitely a quick route to permanent residence is to have a child with a Thai passport. You get right to the front of the queue, and don't even need to be working here for 3yrs steady.

At least one parent needs to be Thai so they would not be classed as a Thai citezen just because they were born here. As far as getting to the "front of the queue and not needing to be here 3 consecutive extensions" that isnt so.....I got 3 kids all born here and Thai citezens but it never did me any favours in that area.....unless of course you know something I dont???

Child must be registered at the amphur within 15 days of birth. The question is if you are married or not. When married there will be no problem, when not married you need to legitimise the child (state before the law that you acknowledge that the child is yours).

When you register the birth at the embassy you can also apply for a passport at the same time, not sure how it works with Filipines Embassy.

Thanks Mario we will be registering the birth in the same amphur where we registered our wedding.....we had an interesting time registering our wedding, largely because they had never dealt with the registration of an alien alien wedding. I am sure they will remember us well!! Good to know I have to do it in 15 days.

Thanks Joe. So if we go to the Philippines at Xmas apply in Manila for a Non Imm O then get it extended on return to Thailand? I take it that so long as we do not take Junior out of Thailand between birth in July and Christmas then he does not actually need any form of visa and that if we do take him out of the country then wherever we go apply for visa there? thanks

No problem if you wait until christmas. Just be sure you have the birth certificae with you because you will need it to get the non-o visa plus you will need to show it when you leave.

If you go to the consulate in Manila I shall wish you good luck because they are probably the most unfriendly in the region.

Thanks Mario we will be registering the birth in the same amphur where we registered our wedding.....we had an interesting time registering our wedding, largely because they had never dealt with the registration of an alien alien wedding. I am sure they will remember us well!! Good to know I have to do it in 15 days.

You have to register the birth at the amphur where the child is born. You can not choose an amphur where to register.

Unlike some countries being born on Thai soil does not make you a citizen of Thailand (give you a Thai passport).

You have to register the birth at the amphur where the child is born. You can not choose an amphur where to register.

Yeah they will remember us:) we live in same amphur we registered our marriage. It took three trips to get the wedding registered!

That is interesting to know about the Manila embassy. My wife got her original Non Imm B there without any problems; maybe they might be more accommodating when they are dealing with pinoys. Maybe Junior's first passport will have to be from the Philippines! it will probably cost a lot less to get it as well.

I have read reports where they have turned down tourst visas (would not even take the application) for local people also. But they may be ok for other visas.

Thx Joe and thx to others for advice. Really useful to know this stuff, something about forewarned is forearmed. I mean these procedures are potential minefields and it is important to try and get it right first time. So grateful thanks.

So if I have a baby in BKK, but my wife comes from Nakorn Sri Thammarat, I register in Bangkok?

And how is she expected to do this after she's just had a C-section, 3 days in hospital, a lack of sleep for a week, a new baby to feed, a husband with a demanding job 24/7, in a bustling city like BKK?

Am I over-reacting??!??!!!!

Does she need to take the baby with her?? Can someone else do it for her?

So if I have a baby in BKK, but my wife comes from Nakorn Sri Thammarat, I register in Bangkok?

And how is she expected to do this after she's just had a C-section, 3 days in hospital, a lack of sleep for a week, a new baby to feed, a husband with a demanding job 24/7, in a bustling city like BKK?

Am I over-reacting??!??!!!!

Does she need to take the baby with her?? Can someone else do it for her?

you have 15 days. The hospital will organise the BC for the child, after which you take that back to the ampur.

Here is the procedure for registering the birth. http://www.dopa.go.th/English/servi/birth.htm

Of course you won't have the ID card or house registration. I assume that it would be your passports instead.

You could do the registration yourself. Your wife does not have to it.

I am not 100% sure that it has to be done where the child is born. I think many Thai's do it at the Amphoe where they are registered so that the child can be entered in the house book.

Coconutmonkey, if you are married the hospital can take care of the birth certificate. If you are not legaly married, you have to register the birth yourself at the amphur (or Khet in BKK) for the child to be yours in a legal sense.

Edit: yes, the birth registration has to be done at the amphur were the birth took place.