Passenger Traffic Numbers Continue To Decline At Thailand Airports

Tourism contributes 6% to Thailand's GDP.

If tourism fell to ZERO, not a single visitor, no hotels, no meals, no soapies.

It would only be down six percent. Get a grip.

"Only 6%" - that is Billions of Baht - combine this with the decreases in the manufacturing sector and you are looking at serious problems for the economy

And of course, every bar, nightclub, disco, boat hire, scuba shop, hotel and any other business that relies on tourism here declares every cent that they take. Not to mention last but definitely not least the tens(probably conservative estimate) of thousands of ladies for hire specifically for the foreign market. They are sophisticated at certain things, but I somehow doubt they file their taxes.

It is also a very labour intensive business, so whilst the average earnings may not be fantastic for say a waitress in a bar, it is a job on which one can survive with tips. It is in so many places a cash business and the Thai government never gets to see half of the revenue it generates.

It is worth double that if not more.

Edited by Thai at Heart

The actual digits dont mean squat - it all depends on what fool bean-counter (remember Wall St) uses what abacus!

Its the cumulative and knock-on effect it has on all the peripheral service and folks employed therein.

When a maid or driver - who is a bread winner - loses a job, the family becomes a ward of the state.

Once that starts to snowball, you are in real trouble - remember, its the sum of the parts.

I feel real bad for those smiling, kindly folks, who always make me feel like I just got home.

BR>Jack

[/quote You are right,i also see it the same in my "world".(present time). :)

Farangs continually try to inflate their importance toward Thailand. In the big scheme of things, we don't amount to squat. A little perspective would go far.

I'll concede that the cesspits of Pattaya and Phuket rely on your precious euros and pounds and bucks more than other places. But the constant calls that farangs are keeping Thailand afloat are mere fantasy.

Au contraire, it amounts to many times 'squat.' Not only do tourists and long term farang and NGO's and foreign biz investments very important factors for Thai economy, they bring in the lion's share of what I call 'outside revenue.'

If you were to go nearly anywhere in Thailand and interview people, you'd find that nearly everyone relies, either directly or indirectly on that outside revenue to some extent (though most aren't aware of it). Granted, farang money has a more direct affect within touristy areas, but the trickle around effect is felt throughout Thailand. A dollar or a franc brought in from outside, and spent in Thailand (or stolen by a thief), perculates between 5 and 10 times through the economy - before it finds its way to a bank (to be loaned out to big shots) or stuffed away in something like jewelry or property.

In contrast, a big shot Thai who, for example, owns a successful company that sells to Thais, is likely pulling in other Thai peoples' money. That's useful, but not near as dynamic for the economy as bringing in 'outside revenue.' Plus, the big shot successful Thai might put a large share of his profits in static investments like gold, so it's less likely to help locals at the bottom rungs of the ladder.

The country is a laughing stock. I used to have a lot of friends, aquaintenances, family etc. who inquired about coming to Thailand--thought of it as exotic, interesting. A few thought about the availability of sex, marijuana etc. Now they aren't interest, seldom indicate an interest in coming and I get worried inquiries about how close am I to the riots, are you safe etc..

I used to work in Iraq. Got the same kind of questions there as well!

Am I right to say tourists are fed up with political unrest in Thailand and choose safer destinations to spend their hard-to-get money? They are not getting much money as they used to, so they don't want to risk getting stuck in Thailand when 2 airports were closed for a week. Well, they already forget about the airport closure. Could be.

Am I right to say tourists are fed up with political unrest in Thailand and choose safer destinations to spend their hard-to-get money? They are not getting much money as they used to, so they don't want to risk getting stuck in Thailand when 2 airports were closed for a week. Well, they already forget about the airport closure. Could be.

Most tourists could care less about the internal politics in Bangkok. They want fun, they want sun, and they want it to fit their budget. Thailand still has the sun and the beaches, and the good lord knows it still has enough fun that a tourist can choose any number of levels of decadence whilst paying homage to Dante. But it the budget in the home country that is suffering mightily. Here in the US the unemployment rate is far higher than the government data indicates and for many of us in the business community not connected to the Banksters, we have not only tightened our belts but have begun to let out some blood as well.

- deaths daily in the South, Murder and deaths at Krabbi and Phi Phi, riots, Airport closure and shootings in Bangkok, televised protests at ASEAN in Pattaya, Containers full of bodies at Sattahip, daily muggings and thefts by Katoeys, and a very poor exchange rate with 150 baht ATM fees - no problem Amazing Thailand :D:D:D:D:D

But the main thing is: NOT to appear..... i.e. don't loose FACE LOLOLOLLOLL - or let's pretend....

:)

Don't forget the bank muggings at the ATM machines every time you use them.!! :D

My wife told me the prices are going up.Alcohol and tobacco at first,it's easier,but other commodities as well.

Tourism is declining,don't know by how much,don't trust the statistics.

Petty crime is increasing,as always and everywhere when the economy is in a recession.

But IMHO as long the rich Thais,people that control the Government and the production are not directly affected (a big Baht devaluation,for example),things will not change,tourists and poor farmers be damned! :)

No, no, no Abdul, you've got it all wrong. The new and improved Thai government is going to save the poor and spread joy across the land and turn water into wine. :)

Seems they took a page or two out of the Messiah's playbook.

My income is small for a falang but I do bring in 60,000 baht a month and spend it. It all ends up in some Thai's pocket except for imported American food products. So let's say 50,000 baht of it ends up in Thai pockets. That's enough to support three or four Thai families. The baht I spend, however, is not counted as tourist income although if the "tourist" attractions of Pattaya were not here I would have left long ago. Multply my contributions by the tens of thousands of falangs like me and it adds up to a lot.

I know that a lot of you guys who have married a Thai and moved out into the country wish the tourists would go away and stop spoiling the "true" Thailand you love but if we did the economy would take a big hit. It would not be destroyed but a lot of Thais would have to make do with a reduced income.

I think it is logical to assume that if the numbers of tourists go down the number of long-stay falangs in the future will also go down.

FACT: this drop is false if it was compared too 2006 when the new airport opened you would see this %

doubled of these claims that are based on last year and some compared too last months.

Flights since 2006 droped much higher.

The hospitilty industry has to be devastated by now.

Sad too see such a beauty of a country go down the drain .

umm not sure if I agree. I just flew back in yesterday from Melbourne and the plane was packed. Tried to book my lights for june, july and august and no seats available on thai airlines. Seems as tho aussies are still pouring into thailand.

My income is small for a falang but I do bring in 60,000 baht a month and spend it. It all ends up in some Thai's pocket except for imported American food products. So let's say 50,000 baht of it ends up in Thai pockets. That's enough to support three or four Thai families. The baht I spend, however, is not counted as tourist income although if the "tourist" attractions of Pattaya were not here I would have left long ago. Multply my contributions by the tens of thousands of falangs like me and it adds up to a lot.

I know that a lot of you guys who have married a Thai and moved out into the country wish the tourists would go away and stop spoiling the "true" Thailand you love but if we did the economy would take a big hit. It would not be destroyed but a lot of Thais would have to make do with a reduced income.

I think it is logical to assume that if the numbers of tourists go down the number of long-stay falangs in the future will also go down.

The tourist attractions of Pattaya? What is it I can think of just one thing Pattaya in known for. If that is the reason you come here then you have some serious problems. Get out and see thailand Pattaya is not thailand stop thinking with your little fella.

The six main airports in Thailand continued to see decreased passenger numbers in March, although the decline for the month was significantly less than in February, which was hit particularly hard by the economic downturn and increasing political tensions.

Passenger traffic fell by 14.22 per cent in March, to 4.78 million passengers, as compared with the drop of 20.55 per cent in the previous month.

At Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport, passenger numbers fell to 3.46 million, down 11.08 per cent for the month. There was an increase in domestic numbers, however, which were up by 7.55 per cent, year-on-year, to 734,130 passengers. International numbers fell to 2.72 million, down 15 per cent.

For the first quarter, ended 31 March, passenger traffic dropped by 17.03 per cent to 13.71 million, as compared with the same period in 2008. International traffic was down 18.26 per cent, at 8.43 million passengers; and domestic traffic for the period was down 14.98 per cent, to 5.28 million passengers.

Aircraft movements for the first quarter fell by 16 per cent, year-on-year, to 89,481. International movements dropped by 12.87 per cent, to 50,627, and the number of domestic flights decreased by 19.9 per cent, to 28,854, according to figures published by Airports of Thailand (AoT).

Industry experts expect that passenger and flight numbers will continue to decline at Thai airports over the coming months.

The outlook was further dampened by political demonstrations and street riots in Bangkok in April and the more recent swine flu scare.

www2.airportthai.co.

mai pen rai

umm not sure if I agree. I just flew back in yesterday from Melbourne and the plane was packed. Tried to book my lights for june, july and august and no seats available on thai airlines. Seems as tho aussies are still pouring into thailand.

I could get seats tp/from London for the next 3 months on TG. What is happening here.

I could get seats tp/from London for the next 3 months on TG. What is happening here.

I just checked with thai airways seats to/from Australian heavily booked out for July. I think they may have cut the number of flights in / out thus the reason for the single plane being booked.

I just checked with thai airways seats to/from Australian heavily booked out for July. I think they may have cut the number of flights in / out thus the reason for the single plane being booked.

yep so true they are booked out.

Mod: you can close this topic: the problem is already resolved in a Thai way.

the low season is canceled, now is always high season:

PHUKET CANCELS THE APRIL TO NOVEMBER 'LOW SEASON'

Local hoteliers and businesses in Phuket, Thailand have "cancelled" Low Season - April 15 through November 1 - and are renaming the period more appropriately Summer Season to better reflect the fact that Phuket is one of the world's top year-round vacation and second home destinations. The six-month international public relations campaign and internet promotion launching Summer in Phuket also looks to counter negative media reports about the effects of the global economic downturn and internal Thailand political issues. On the heels of Phuket being named the number one luxury destination by the New York Times in January

I got that Email from Siam Real Estate

Local hoteliers and businesses in Phuket, Thailand have "cancelled" Low Season - April 15 through November 1 - and are renaming the period more appropriately Summer Season to better reflect the fact that Phuket is one of the world's top year-round vacation and second home destinations. The six-month international public relations campaign and internet promotion launching Summer in Phuket also looks to counter negative media reports about the effects of the global economic downturn and internal Thailand political issues. On the heels of Phuket being named the number one luxury destination by the New York Times in January

:):D:D

Edited by Maxi101

That is wonderful news. Wish the problems in the west could be fixed so easily. We farangs have a lot to learn from the thai government and business leaders. A quick troke of the pen and all is fixed. Wish they would take control of the world bank and fix this economic crisis the rest of the world is in. Lets not stop there give them the United Nations so they can fix all the political unrest in the world and all the human rights violations. 3 cheers for thailand

:D:D:D:D:)

That is wonderful news. Wish the problems in the west could be fixed so easily. We farangs have a lot to learn from the thai government and business leaders. A quick troke of the pen and all is fixed. Wish they would take control of the world bank and fix this economic crisis the rest of the world is in. Lets not stop there give them the United Nations so they can fix all the political unrest in the world and all the human rights violations. 3 cheers for thailand

:D:D:D:D:)

We just think to difficult! Increase the price so you make with half the customer the same profit and cancel the Low Season: Problem Fixed!

Or you could make the year 450 days, than the turnover per year is even better.

Tourism is 6% of GDP!

My Bad but I thought it was near 22% ?????

Now near .01% ?????????????????????????

But still no Discounts of such to attract , instead they raised cost to balance the lacking of visitors .

Plz dont forget the aunts sick Ox also .

Mod: you can close this topic: the problem is already resolved in a Thai way. the low season is canceled, now is always high season:

:):D:D

That reminds me of the way Thai politicians avoid taking responsibility for their actions. Example: right after the coup, when the transgressions of TRT were starting to get officially exposed, a bunch of TRT members decided to quit the party, thinking that would absolve them of any illegal actions which happened while they were members. Same things happens, if an ex-minister is found to be guilty of something bad while in office, he/she can simply say, "hey, that happened awhile ago. I'm not longer that minister of that department, so bug off and leave me alone."

I would like to see the difference in passengers arrivals at new airport on this given day and compare it to on of "2005" nearing the before of General Sonthis Coup that removed Mr Thaksin and suppressed him into becoming a Fugitive of the Law. Seems the drop is much greater when compared to this starting point of the political circus .

:) Always interested in the word 'fun'...if it were to be given a definition I think the word 'mindless' comes to mind...lots of that here in LOS.....and that is just the tourists... :D Dukkha

Most tourists could care less about the internal politics in Bangkok. They want fun, they want sun, and they want it to fit their budget. Thailand still has the sun and the beaches, and the good lord knows it still has enough fun that a tourist can choose any number of levels of decadence whilst paying homage to Dante. But it the budget in the home country that is suffering mightily. Here in the US the unemployment rate is far higher than the government data indicates and for many of us in the business community not connected to the Banksters, we have not only tightened our belts but have begun to let out some blood as well.

Tourism is 6% of GDP!

My Bad but I thought it was near 22% ?????

Now near .01% ?????????????????????????

But still no Discounts of such to attract , instead they raised cost to balance the lacking of visitors .

Plz dont forget the aunts sick Ox also .

6% of gdp doesn't necessarily translate into 6% of the workforce. Considering the low wages in the tourism industry, I suspect much more of the population will be affected by a drop in tourism. I wonder.

I would like to see the difference in passengers arrivals at new airport on this given day and compare it to on of "2005" nearing the before of General Sonthis Coup that removed Mr Thaksin and suppressed him into becoming a Fugitive of the Law. Seems the drop is much greater when compared to this starting point of the political circus .

Why not compare it to 2006, the coup was not until September of that year. It will not be a comparison with the same airport, though, since Swampy did not open until after the coup.

/ Priceless

Why not just compare the numbers to the rest of the world for example? So many countries and airports doing better? Any of the neighbours or Vietnam having rising touriist/visitor numbers? I don't think so.