Pattaya Is Dead Dead Dead

MeetJohnDoe

combine the Indian and Chinese populations and you have 1/6th of the human species targeted.

According to current population stats, Chinese (1.34 billion) and Indian (1.17 billion) populations combined make up 37% of the world's 6.79 billion population.

Interestingly, India has a population growth rate of over double that of China, so by 2050 India will be the world's most populous nation.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why they feel the need to target one country.........why not target all countries? Seems like over the past few years they have selectively targeted, in order, Russians, Chinese, and now Indians.

Notice a trend here...poor...poorer...poorest... :)

combine the Indian and Chinese populations and you have 1/6th of the human species targeted.

According to current population stats, Chinese (1.34 billion) and Indian (1.17 billion) populations combined make up 37% of the world's 6.79 billion population.

Interestingly, India has a population growth rate of over double that of China, so by 2050 India will be the world's most populous nation.

Thanks for the accurate and current population statistics.

India will no doubt pass China as the world's most populated country within the next ten years.

Given that fact, it makes sense to target them, especially since they are not far away.

If I were in charge, I would target them too........and the Chinese........and the Russians.........and everybody.

"Thailand........something for all."

And I would make sure and nobody associated with TAT ever uses the phrase "quality tourists" again.......especially in public.

That is offensive to many Westerners and only harms the tourism industry.

It would be nice to see TAT re-design its promotional efforts to ensure that all segments of the tourism sector--low end, middle, high end--survive and thrive.

My perception is that they are not doing that now. Others likely have a different perception.

Just checking prices at a Travel Agents when we picked up our tickets for KL & Singapore. Our Son & his fiancee are in Australia these are their quotes.

Bali with 8 nights & with Breakfast in a private Poolside Villa + 2 free nights $1254.00

Bangkok 3 nights & 4.5 star Hotel breakfast Luxury Clubroom + a free night $ 1269.00

BUT... Phuket 8 nights 3 - 4 star $ 1049.00

The only mention of Pattaya was.

"Do not travel there during May Songkran / New Year when you will be awash with water dousing in the street for a week. First day may seem fun after that NOT"

I wonder why they feel the need to target one country.........why not target all countries? Seems like over the past few years they have selectively targeted, in order, Russians, Chinese, and now Indians.

So, that would mean that, 3-4 years from now, with Obama in the White House, Thailand will be targetting AMERICAN tourists! :D

now the police are removing all the girls off beach road at night so the place is completely dead, pattaya is cannibalizing itself, pretty sad really

Dont mind them in the night they just add to the ambiance and its dark and they dark. However they must be removed by day by whatever means necessary They are totally revolting in a bush pig kind of way .

So, that would mean that, 3-4 years from now, with Obama in the White House, Thailand will be targetting AMERICAN tourists! :D

The way things are going it could be this Year.

:D

After 8 years of Bush you're already at the bottom. From here you can only improve.

So, that would mean that, 3-4 years from now, with Obama in the White House, Thailand will be targeting AMERICAN tourists! :D

After 8 years of Bush you're already at the bottom. From here you can only improve.

:D Yep........he was a mistake......and, unfortunately, we made the mistake twice........ :D

At the bottom........no where to go but up.

I live here in Patters with my familly,well on the outskirts and love it ,but to be honest if i was looking for a high class destination to bring my familly on holiday it certainly wouldnt be here. its a holiday destination for single guys not famillys,as GK10002000 said anything they do is like putting lipstick on a pig.

at the weekend we drove down to Bang Sean and it was heaving with thai weekenders and the beaches were packed,just down the road is the new Central mall ,that was heaving as well .Pattaya? ,well we all know what that is like now ,dead,

Well, I've been saying for ages that the lack of family and so called "quality" tourists would be a "good thing" to destroy once and for all City Hall's attempt to upmarket and trendify Pattaya. It may take a year or two more of pain for the bars, but there have been too many of them for years anyway, and a reduction in number would make the remainder more prosperous.

Assuming that the world economies will be back in a couple years, that should be long enough for the "powers that be" to realise where the money is, and stop harrassing the bar punters with restrictive visas etc.

now the police are removing all the girls off beach road at night so the place is completely dead, pattaya is cannibalizing itself, pretty sad really

First mention of it that I've seen. I do know that they have the occasional "crackdown", but it never lasts long, usually.

I'm guessing that if they are serious about keeping the Beach walk uninhabited, the ladies will merely reappear elsewhere. Walking Street?

Just look what happened on Sukhumvit when they brought in early closing. From being a virtually deserted street after 3 am, and no bar girls on the street, it has become a populated area till the dawn, and bargirls are available long after the bars close.

I live here in Patters with my familly,well on the outskirts and love it ,but to be honest if i was looking for a high class destination to bring my familly on holiday it certainly wouldnt be here. its a holiday destination for single guys not famillys,as GK10002000 said anything they do is like putting lipstick on a pig.

at the weekend we drove down to Bang Sean and it was heaving with thai weekenders and the beaches were packed,just down the road is the new Central mall ,that was heaving as well .Pattaya? ,well we all know what that is like now ,dead,

Well, I've been saying for ages that the lack of family and so called "quality" tourists would be a "good thing" to destroy once and for all City Hall's attempt to upmarket and trendify Pattaya. It may take a year or two more of pain for the bars, but there have been too many of them for years anyway, and a reduction in number would make the remainder more prosperous.

Assuming that the world economies will be back in a couple years, that should be long enough for the "powers that be" to realise where the money is, and stop harrassing the bar punters with restrictive visas etc.

Just curious about what "restrictive visas" you feel are harrassing the bar punters. Also, curious if anyone has any kind of information, as to the ratio of business in Pattaya, created by long term expats, versus short term tourists. By short term, I mean anywhere from a few days upto 2 or 3 months.

Edited by beechguy

If a Non-O visa isn't harassment I don't know what is. I do it every year for 5 years now, and still I have to produce a pile of paper one inch thick every time.

Everyone's situation is different...I suspect you are going for a non-immigrant B, with a one-year extension (based on investment or business). Maybe you are also throwing-in the hassle/paperwork of getting a wp to go along with all this.

For me, it's just a 1 page application, a few pages of documentation, couple photos, and US$ 175 for a 1 year non-imm O multi-entry (90-days in and out) that can be stretched to a 15 month stay :)

[Of course, this is done every 15 months in my country or origin.]

If a Non-O visa isn't harassment I don't know what is. I do it every year for 5 years now, and still I have to produce a pile of paper one inch thick every time.

Everyone's situation is different...I suspect you are going for a non-immigrant B, with a one-year extension (based on investment or business). Maybe you are also throwing-in the hassle/paperwork of getting a wp to go along with all this.

For me, it's just a 1 page application, a few pages of documentation, couple photos, and US$ 175 for a 1 year non-imm O multi-entry (90-days in and out) that can be stretched to a 15 month stay :)

No, I'm talking about the annual extension of Non-O (marriage). You're still a visa runner. I haven't been out of the country for years.

Edited by Phil Conners

Last diary entry for Pattaya, 12-25-05

I am never going to visit this **&5%$#@#$% place again.

It has been going down since then.

Best entry 08-14-78

Hey I love this town cant wait till I get my time off next month

As a resident in Pattaya, I am quite happy with the reduced tourist numbers coming to Pattaya. Of course, if you had a financial interest in tourism or if your employment is tourist related, you may not share my opinion; I understand and accept that.

My reasons, and I admit they are purely selfish, are that the reduced number of tourists means less crowds at the beach, less trafiic jams, less pollution etc...basically the way Pattaya is, there seems to be an inverse relationship between tourist numbers and my quality of life. High season was always a pain (except the weather) with traffic, crowds, litter and usual problems with crowds/drinking/partying; low season was always a joy to drive around, shop, going to beach etc. I know it is selfish but it's my honstly, I am not exactly upset that there are fewer touritst in town.

Bah humbug! god dam_n pesky tourists, stimulating the economy and such, Bah ...........

What a load of crap. Thai food is MUCH cheaper than anything in your home country and so are hotels and ladies of the night. What else does a man need? :D

And what part of "like for like" do you have trouble understanding???? :D

Penkoprod

All of it actually. We don't use that phrase where I come from. However, whatever it means, Thailand - in general - is still cheaper to live than any Western country and many items (electronics, cars, etc.) have always been more expensive here. Thailand is not a cheap version of Disneyland for traveling misers. It is a real country where some things are inexpensive and some are not. :)

Agreed.......some things are more expensive, some things are less expensive. But in the not so distant past almost all things were less expensive.

I was talking with a Thai friend the other day and she told me that she thought prices for most things in Thailand were now HIGHER than in Australia.

I thought, impossible..........maybe not. It is odd.......and I think we possibly can agree on this......that prices in Thailand seem to go up as the economy declines.

An average dump hotel three years ago cost 350 to 500 baht in Pattaya-Jomtien........now that same room cost 800-1000 baht. Makes no sense to me.

Agreed regarding the hotels. Myself, freinds and various aquintances would always stay at the same hotel, id make 4 visits a year, some freinds 10+. We would always get a better price than joe in the street, around 250-350bht depending on what type of room. The last time i stayed there was 6 years ago@ 450bht i think, NOW as a special offer 900bht, and thats if your staying 10days or more. The rooms are still the same from when i first went 12-13 yrs ago. With terrible a/c. Last time i was there, bellboy switched on the a/c as i walked in the room and we had to rush out due to the dust that came flying out where they havnt been serviced for years either, having asthma aswell............i moved out 2 days later, better hotel/room, same price, but ya have to hunt these places down. They are there, just harder to find.

No, I'm talking about the annual extension of Non-O (marriage). You're still a visa runner. I haven't been out of the country for years.

I guess I wasn't clear...what I meant to convey is what you say...anything involving annual extensions of stay (other than a retirement extension) requires heaps of paperwork (like you say). Probably the same in most countries if you are not a citizen or permanent legal resident.

I guess I wasn't clear...what I meant to convey is what you say...anything involving annual extensions of stay (other than a retirement extension) requires heaps of paperwork (like you say). Probably the same in most countries if you are not a citizen or permanent legal resident.

Nope. We lived in Europe for several years. One simple visit to the local commune where my Thai wife immediately got both residence and work permits valid for 5 years, to be renewed by a similar simple meeting. Documents required: our passports.

Nope. We lived in Europe for several years. One simple visit to the local commune where my Thai wife immediately got both residence and work permits valid for 5 years, to be renewed by a similar simple meeting. Documents required: our passports.

I understand what you're saying, but that's Europe, I also know of places that are more difficult.

My, question you responded to earlier, was about a comment made by another member, about "harrasing bar punters with restrictive visas." So, I'll take it that you feel long term stay is difficult, and short term stay isn't.

Well I see Niels Colov and the Pattaya People newspaper have finally got around to reporting what we have been discussing for a month or so...that Pattaya tourism is dead right now. Banner headline uses the words "Ghost City" to describe the atmosphere in town and goes on to say many hotels are almost empty and the many businesses are going down the tubes.

Maybe he was tipped-off to this story by reading the Thai-Visa forum :)

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

I have wondered aloud to my wife how the major hotels can stay open. We occasionally go to the weekend buffet at Royal Cliff. The last we went there, there was virtually nobody to be seen anywhere in the hotel, as we walked to, and later from, the buffet. Just keeping that place lit, air conditioned, and clean has to cost a FORTUNE every day. And they still had plenty of staff wandering around, as well. They've got to be losing money by the truckload!

This topic is getting boring now. Just saw om TV that tourism in Greece is already down by 30% this year. Same reason more or less, reduced service, higher prices and just relying on nice and warm weather. So it is not really a Pattaya specific topic.

last saturday, wife and i took the bike down to the beach for some eats. decided on Baywatch which is typically filled with people. not one other table was occupied. even the tailor touts had no problem with me telling them "i live here, don't need to wear a suit". at that point, they just wanted someone to talk. i always find them touts to be good for conversation while my wife peruses the jewelry stores and such. heh, everyone gets lonely sometimes :)