Kasikorn Has Fallen ...... Zomg, Racism,

JohnGotti

Get a Thai bank account and atm card ! end of story....

<------- avatar :) Banked with them for many a year now since leaving 'Bankok Bank".

Kan Win :D

Unless you earn some money here like i do then how is it end of story with a Thai bank account? You still have the hassle of the transfer & charges & forex risks that are involved, i mean you could transfer your money on a day when the rate was 52 baht to the pound but the 2/3 days it takes to get to the converting account ie your Thai account the rate could be 50 baht or less.

As i said earlier you also have to transfer a minimum of £2000 to make it cost effective not all expats have access to that kind of money on a regular basis,so for them their stuck with this 150 baht fee as its cheaper method for them.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does Tafia really think I didn't know about the impending 1% charge? That is why I said: 'NW up until now haven't made an overseas charge at all '. His post didn't add any new information and just muddies the water.

Racist may not be quite the right word but Thailand is getting increasing out of step with other countries. In the last year I have used my UK Nationwide Visa card in Canada, Turkey, Italy, France and Belgium and don't recall one ATM charge. As regards what an earlier poster said about the UK bank charges dwarfing the Thai charge, NW up until now haven't made an overseas charge at all. Some UK ATMs run by private operators in premium locations do charge about GBP £1.50 or £2.00 per transaction., but this does not apply to the vast majority of British ATMs owned by banks The Thai £3.00 is significantly higher in a country where salaries and most costs are lower. To the best of my knowledge the user of a Thai ATM card in the UK does not face a locally-levied ATM charge (just the charges of their own bank). The UK banks would be investigated by the OFT if their got together to fix a standard charge as a cartel. As it happens I have a Thai bank account and ATM card but it doesn't solve the problem of getting sterling into Thailand. That has to be done from the other end. Obviously there are options which many are no doubt investigating, but the good old NW Flexaccount has been hard to beat up until now.

They will charge 1% from 1st June

:):D

Another poster comparing an apple to a banana.

The NW 1% charge is a charge from an issuing bank i.e. the bank that issues the card and gets charged by Visa.

The Thai banks are simply charging for using their ATM's, nothing more.

Please do not obfuscate the issue here. If you do not know what you are talking about, it is best to say nothing, Tafia

I think you have misread my post -

I do know what I'm talking about I was simply pointing out to the person on the post who had stated NW were Free.

I responded that NW will be charging from 1st June. It is Visa who charge the 1%, when it was 0.84% NW was picking up the charge for its customers and as from June these will be passed on.

I appreciate that it is the charge for using their machines; I do not complain about the charge as I use Swift to my Thai account, use my Thai banks card and do not pay 150 B charge.

I can say for a fact that there is no fee for use of an ATM Pool machine (most banks) here in Bangkok. I use my Bangkok Bank card in other machines on a regular basis - take out 20k in cash and that is all that is removed from my account. Only if I exceed four transactions in a one month period is a charge of 5 baht made.

A number of notable differences:

- The highlighted statement above may be true for Bangkok Bank (BBL) customers, I wouldn't know.

- I'm in Chiang Mai, not in Bangkok.

- I used a SCB card in a BBL ATM, not the other way round.

- It is quite possible that BBL don't charge its customers for using another bank's ATMs until after the 4th withdrawal. They do however charge another bank's customers starting with the first withdrawal.

- BBL also charge SCB customers like me 25 baht up to 10,000 baht withdrawal and 35 baht ut to 30,000 baht. Most other banks, in my experience, charge 20 baht up to 20,000 baht withdrawal (usually the maximum possible).

/ Priceless

The OPs post made me laugh.

If I have nothing to do one of these days, I'm going to do the same and use up all the paper. In the grand scheme of things it means nothing, but on a personal level... it would feel good to close down one of their ATMS for the night, regardless of how childish it is. After all, it's all a big game anyway. No real harm done to either side.

The GSB ATM was happy to take my U.S. VISA debit card. However, the GSB machine would NOT accept my U.S. MasterCard logo debit card.

Separately, I tried to use the same U.S. MasterCard logo debit card at a UOB Bank ATM, and it likewise was not accepted.

Hmmm. And the Bank of Ayudhaya, still accepting Visa ATM/Debit cards and the related network exchange rate -- but now charging more for MasterCard/Cirrus transactions (via dynamic currency conversion).

Would seem the MC/Cirrus network has become more expensive to use by ATM owners than the Visa/Plus network.

Not the first time I've seen Visa accepted at more places than MC. I believe it is Foodland that won't take a MC credit or debit card -- but will a Visa card.

Do you remember if the GSB and UOB machines had the "Cirrus" logo on them -- or maybe a brand new empty spot :) ?

anyone have the ATM rate for Kasikorn on Friday to compare the possible loss's involved on the rates.

So far only the Bank of Ayudhaya is using non-network rates for their ATMs -- and that only for MasterCard/Cirrus transactions, not Visa/Plus.

The rate you would get at Kasikorn would be entirely card dependent -- and those rates are all over the map, even among the so-called fee-free cards.

I've started a new thread related to UK banks fee's & ideas to transfer money to Thai Banks at the best rates possible & how to possibly avoid these extortionate ATM fee's now there's only 2 banks left without this 150 baht fee.

Any ideas & confirmations of transfers that worked well please share them here. Thanks Shaun

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Nationwide-a...26#entry2741926

OMG, its not just Thai banks that are racist!!! I just had to pay a $3 fee to use my Kasikorn bank card in the US!!! Racism against foreigners. That must be it.

:)

If everyone on this forum takes upwards of 15 minutes a day at an ATM and deliberately wastes the reciept papers, the Thais will complain to the bank and the bank will be forced into action to remove these charges which exhibit some of the worst racism since Nazi Germany...

Take 15 mins in front of me and it may well be your last transaction of the day.

The ATM fee is quite modest and compares favourably with the otherwise rapacious fees extracted by the UK banks for overseas transactions.

It represents a piddling extra to the average tourist but I should imagine it might be an economic challenge to low grade visa runners unable to open a Thai bank a/c and transfer funds.

Totally agree, ... it's 100'f / 100 % humidity, standing in a ATM line during the noon sun, and some cheap charlie is acting out with a silly electronic filibuster,

If your the only one at the machine, go ahead knock yourself out,

but if there a dozen people behind you some may not take the inconsideration in stride, word ... :)

OMG, its not just Thai banks that are racist!!! I just had to pay a $3 fee to use my Kasikorn bank card in the US!!! Racism against foreigners. That must be it.

SBK, maybe you should start a new thread about how US Banks are racist towards people using Kasikorn Bank. :D

The OPs post made me laugh.

If I have nothing to do one of these days, I'm going to do the same and use up all the paper. In the grand scheme of things it means nothing, but on a personal level... it would feel good to close down one of their ATMS for the night, regardless of how childish it is. After all, it's all a big game anyway. No real harm done to either side.

After the paper is out, all that will happen is it will say something along the lines of "This ATM is unable to issue a receipt, do you wish to continue?"

I find it odd that people complain about "they don't want us here" in other threads and never put it together with this kind of behavior.

:D:)

:D I think we have the making of a TV Movie of the Week, The New Banking Order ... but we'll need an Illuminati tie in,

Do you remember if the GSB and UOB machines had the "Cirrus" logo on them -- or maybe a brand new empty spot :) ?

Funny u should mention that, Jim. Because the GSB and UOB atms wouldn't accept my U.S. MC logo debit card, and I'd never tried using either of those banks ATMs before, I made particular note of looking for their ATM network symbols.

At the UOB ATM on Silom Road, there were no stickers at all on the ATM or the location sign indicating what ATM networks it was a participant in.

At the GSB ATM at Asoke BTS, there were only two network labels. One for "Visa Electron," and the other jusyt a graphic image with red and blue paint slashes opposite each other...but no wording... I don't know what that symbol represents.

And as I mentioned earlier, the GSB ATM took my U.S. Visa debit card without any problem. I didn't try my Visa card at the UOB location yesterday...

No Cirrus or MC logo to be seen anywhere at either the GSB or UOB locations.

Yesterday I read on Thai Visa that the Ayudhya Bank was still not charging the 150 bt fee. While sheltering from the downpour at a 7.11, there was an Ayudhya Bank ATM Machine, with a member of there staff working on it, so my partner asked about the fee, and the guy said they will be following other Banks very soon with regard to the 150 bt fee. :)

That's about 30% less than the 150 Baht fee in Thailand. Whatever Reason the Thai banks may give for the introduction of this fee I believe it is simply to increase their profits after they were hit hard by the financial crisis.