Nationwide & Other Uk Fee Free Banks Or Cards.

Hi i thought it best to start a specific thread for UK expats & tourist's to discuss & exchange idea's on how to save money on Transfer's & ATM fee's including options on having a Thai bank account & its benefits, even for the those not living in Thailand but visit on a regular basis.

Good information is being lost in all the other ATM thread's that are running.

I'll start with why NW will not let you request an online swift? & the Halifax will i have already applied to open a Halifax account not only to take advantage of their low £9.50 swift fee but also due to the sheer fact i can move my money remotely from Thailand so if i need a quick visit to the ATM (emergency) i can save fee's with the NW cash card, but if its a swift i want i can transfer from my Nationwide to Halifax account & then swift it to my Thai account.

Others have mentioned the post office card which i believe if you pre load it, ie put the account in credit you can withdraw fee free.

I saw a new one that i've not looked into from the Abbey it was called zero or something like that not sure if the poster said it was a debit or credit card.

There was confirmation today that GSB & UOB do not accept Mastercard so this ultimately means NW holders will have to pay a fee whether its 1% visa fee so they can use their visa debit card for free at the GSB or if your a cash card holder you can avoid this 1% fee but you may be charged the 150 baht fee from other banks as you can not use cirrus at GSB from personal experience.

I would also like to bring back the over the counter option comparing rates given by each bank & how that compares to the ATM rate that day, i had experience of this last month with a temporary pre paid card i sent the misses it would not work in the ATM's but they gave her cash inside Bangkok bank the rate was near as dam it the same as all the rate's posted on TV that day for sterling so this is still worth a look.

Personally i'm back in the UK for a few months so i'm relying on the misses for feed back but she's doing a good job so far, anyone who can go into their local branch & give feedback would be appreciated.

Finally BAAC which have branches mainly in Issarn have still not been confirmed that they charge this 150 baht fee, i have one in my back yard but again it will not accept the cirrus Mastercard the misses as, but no one as confirmed if the 150 baht fee is charged using a Visa card.

A link to their site for those who do not know this bank.

http://www.baac.or.th/baac_en/index.php

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get your swift form online & print it off ready to post or take to your branch.

NW Online swift process

NW Bank Charges

Travellers Cheques are an option the maximum you can order is £2500 with a one off delivery fee of £3.50 i'm not sure what the fee's are for cashing them in Thailand but the exchange rate given will be better than the cash rate.

Travellers Cheques

Travellers Cheques online Order form

All the answers & questions for the debit card charges to come & to confirm that they are not to charge for the cash card.

Cash card/debit card Questions & Answers

Edited by Mali1964

Opening an account in Thailand is fairly straight forward but not all branches of the same bank play by the same rules,reports of a 30 day stamp have been enough for some to open accounts where as others have to show a non resident visa, but i still recommend Kasikorn, its a simple process you walk out with your ATM card & pin in around 20 minutes for a 300 baht fee,also your online within a few e mails from them, i was online within 24 hours of opening the account,compare that to Bangkok bank in Roi Et who still haven't set me up online & want to know why i want online banking along with a string of other unnecessary questions :)

Excellent work Mali, thank you.

I have exactly the same Nationwide and Halifax arrangement. Opened the Halifax account omline last week whilst in Thailand.

I am going to try the 20,000 Baht over the counter withdrawal tomorrow at K Bank to see if I pick up a charge.

I am back in the UK later this week si I will also research the other bank cards.

Excellent work Mali, thank you.

I have exactly the same Nationwide and Halifax arrangement. Opened the Halifax account omline last week whilst in Thailand.

I am going to try the 20,000 Baht over the counter withdrawal tomorrow at K Bank to see if I pick up a charge.

I am back in the UK later this week si I will also research the other bank cards.

Cheers Chaimai

I'd be very interested in your counter experience rates etc at K bank tomorrow please post the outcome thank you.

For anyone not aware of the 150 baht fee which as of today is across most banks using any foreign ATM debit/cash/credit/prepaid card.

The links to a few threads running on this.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Banks-A...At-t262510.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Banks-S...00#entry2739136

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Kasikorn-Fal...75#entry2741450

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/150-Baht-Atm-Fee-t265481.html

This from the Halifax website, i'm waiting for my account to be opened but it certainly looks like you can do the hole process online so no need to visit or call the UK to do a transfer & £9.50 is the best UK swift rate i've seen.

I mean Barclay's start at £28 for 5 day & 3 day for £45, Nationwide £20

http://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccounts/inte...entservices.asp

Prepaid cards are another option but this 150 baht fee as really made them very expensive but still a lot cheaper than Western Union.

Cashplus is one of the better more flexible ones & its free to top up in the UK some can be topped up online via debit cards, cashplus fees are 3% foreign fee + £3 ATM fee from the UK end, then there's the 150 baht fee (£3) at the Thai ATM so its not cheap but convenient for some.

http://www.mycashplus.co.uk/default.aspx

Compare prepaid cards here

& compare here

As I said on the other thread just before this one opened, I opened an Halifax account online and got the account number straight away a minute later. You can pay cash in online as well. The online Swift charge is £9.50. However, I am wondering whether Currencies Direct is better as on the face of things there is no fee. The problem is that I think you would have to buy baht at the UK end and there is some ambiguity about what the exchange rate would be. The section of their website dealing with exchange rates says £1 = 52.2 baht (Bangkok Bank 52.4 mid rate today - so not bad). But if you use the quick currency converter on the same site you get a rate of 51.7 - not so good. I've e-mailed to ask which rate applies.

http://www.currenciesdirect.com/uk/foreign...arpayments.aspx

Edited by citizen33

Hi i thought it best to start a specific thread for UK expats & tourist's to discuss & exchange idea's on how to save money on Transfer's & ATM fee's including options on having a Thai bank account & its benefits, even for the those not living in Thailand but visit on a regular basis.

I'll start with why NW will not let you request an online swift? & the Halifax will i have already applied to open a Halifax account not only to take advantage of their low £9.50 swift fee but also due to the sheer fact i can move my money remotely from Thailand so if i need a quick visit to the ATM (emergency) i can save fee's with the NW cash card, but if its a swift i want i can transfer from my Nationwide to Halifax account & then swift it to my Thai account.

Others have mentioned the post office card which i believe if you pre load it, ie put the account in credit you can withdraw fee free.

I saw a new one that i've not looked into from the Abbey it was called zero or something like that not sure if the poster said it was a debit or credit card.

I had a quick look at the Abbey Zero credit card. It has no transaction charge for drawing cash but you start paying interest at 27.9% from the day you draw! From the Abbey site:

"1 Some independent ATM providers may charge a fee for cash withdrawals. Cash Transactions charged at a standard rate of 27.9%. Interest charged on all cash transactions from date of transaction."

Can you open a Halifax account online if you are resident in Thailand. Is it for UK residents only?. I no longer have a UK address and have used my Thai home address with several UK institution's recently and their mail/statements arrive in the post no problemo's.

I am with NW too.

I imagine the info I require will be in the small print somewhere on their web page.

Can you open a Halifax account online if you are resident in Thailand. Is it for UK residents only?. I no longer have a UK address and have used my Thai home address with several UK institution's recently and their mail/statements arrive in the post no problemo's.

I am with NW too.

I imagine the info I require will be in the small print somewhere on their web page.

No all banks in the UK require you to be a UK resident and have a permanent address, So no good for me or anybody else resident overseas

How do you deal with NW mailings to you, as they refuse to accept a Thailand address due to its high fraud reputation. I have tried and tried and been with them 25 years but so far they will not budge?

Seem to think there is better security sending a card and statements to a friend's UK address and they sending it by post just as the NW would. Seems to me less safe but I have not made waves as they may say I cannot continue my account.

Dave

No all banks in the UK require you to be a UK resident and have a permanent address, So no good for me or anybody else resident overseas.

I used my brothers address to OPEN accounts then once complete, did a change of address to Thailand

How do you deal with NW mailings to you, as they refuse to accept a Thailand address due to its high fraud reputation. I have tried and tried and been with them 25 years but so far they will not budge?

I have been with NW for '5 minutes & no big balances' and after doing the above have had no problems.Cr Cards sent direct from NW Cr Card Services but no stupid card reader gizmo needed as I am in LOS.

Seem to think there is better security sending a card and statements to a friend's UK address and they sending it by post just as the NW would. Seems to me less safe but I have not made waves as they may say I cannot continue my account.

They are a Service provider and you are the Customer. Tell them you are considering moving your account and complaining about that SPECIFIC unhelpful branch

Dave (ex Bank Manager)

Edited by Dave the Dude

As I said on the other thread just before this one opened, I opened an Halifax account online and got the account number straight away a minute later. You can pay cash in online as well. The online Swift charge is £9.50. However, I am wondering whether Currencies Direct is better as on the face of things there is no fee. The problem is that I think you would have to buy baht at the UK end and there is some ambiguity about what the exchange rate would be. The section of their website dealing with exchange rates says £1 = 52.2 baht (Bangkok Bank 52.4 mid rate today - so not bad). But if you use the quick currency converter on the same site you get a rate of 51.7 - not so good. I've e-mailed to ask which rate applies.

http://www.currenciesdirect.com/uk/foreign...arpayments.aspx

I have also used http://www.purefx.co.uk/ ask for James. Usually better rates than the clearing banks but there is a GBP 20 SWIFT charge.

I am with NW too.

No all banks in the UK require you to be a UK resident and have a permanent address, So no good for me or anybody else resident overseas

Dave

Technically, if you are 'non-resident' you cannot tick all the boxes for a Nationwide Flexaccount - they steer you towards Nationwide International (where the Flexacccount is not available - less important now with the new charging structure).

Good idea to retain a UK address then at least you can give the impression of 'being in England' if necessary.

Post should not be an issue as you can say (not that anyone takes any real notice) that you are staying in Thailand for 4/5/6 months. You could, for example, be a UK resident but working on contract in Bangkok.... A service issue as D the D correctly pointed out.

Surely, apart from having a UK address, when opening an account it is necessary to provide identity proof (ie passport) and address proof (utility bill etc). When living in Thailand this is not possible. How do those of you that have opened accounts get round this?

Surely, apart from having a UK address, when opening an account it is necessary to provide identity proof (ie passport) and address proof (utility bill etc). When living in Thailand this is not possible. How do those of you that have opened accounts get round this?

Good point. I would think you could open accounts online in Thailand just before you go back to visit UK. Then go to branch and show documents. Cannot see any way around it.

No problem. You can send pound sterling to Thai bank. On first page when you indicate Thailand it automates Thai baht, just click on drop down menu and at the bottom of the list of currencies is pound sterling, cick on that. Be warned i have had problems as you have to make sure you update your contact phone numbers which i did with my Thai phone number. Then they suspend your online account for up to 48 hrs. They send email when you can use it a gain, 09-00 UK time. Go through process a gain and not indicate Thai number. After talking to online support, in conclusion you have to delete any UK numbers and when you go back to UK update your Uk numbers.

This is possible. Nick - I will discuss over a glass of Leo when I get back from England :) but, in your case, you just need to have a bank address changed to your sister's address, order a bank statement, (change the bank statement address back to Thailand) take said bank statement with passport (or certified copy - varies from bank to bank, copy usually OK and I can certify for you).

All the bank branch will do is forward the ID and address verification to the "online unit".

All this works if you are first able to have the account accepted online. May also be possible with paper applications but more likely to be picked up by the banks' audit police.

Edited by Chaimai

As the man said "ONLY IN THAILAND" :)

I went to my local K Bank today and requested 20,000 Baht from my Nationwide Flexaccount.

Received the usual good service and couteous smiles (they didn't even bother to photocopy my passport this time).

Transaction completed, rate 52.14 GBP/THB and NO CHARGE :D T.I.T.

Only in Thailand could you undertake a manual, time-consuming transaction (that also involves a phone call and paperwork) and pay no charge versus an automated ATM transaction with the same card and pay 150 Baht. Amazing !

Edited by Chaimai

No all banks in the UK require you to be a UK resident and have a permanent address, So no good for me or anybody else resident overseas.

I used my brothers address to OPEN accounts then once complete, did a change of address to Thailand

I have been with NW for '5 minutes & no big balances' and after doing the above have had no problems.Cr Cards sent direct from NW Cr Card Services but no stupid card reader gizmo needed as I am in LOS.

They are a Service provider and you are the Customer. Tell them you are considering moving your account and complaining about that SPECIFIC unhelpful branch

Dave (ex Bank Manager)

Well I had no problem when in Spain but the helpline refused me for Thailand as did the NW messaging system on their Internet online services.

Will try again. This is not the first time others have said they have been allowed an address in Thailand

Dave

Dave

As the man said "ONLY IN THAILAND" :)

I went to my local K Bank today and requested 20,000 Baht from my Nationwide Flexaccount.

Received the usual good service and couteous smiles (they didn't even bother to photocopy my passport this time).

Only in Thailand could you undertake a manual, time-consuming transaction (that also involves a phone call and paperwork) and pay no charge versus an automated ATM transaction with the same card and pay 150 Baht. Amazing !

Very interesting that thanks Chaimai do you know how close that rate was to the K Bank ATM rate? Their online rates are

GBP Pound Sterling

But visa are showing 53 baht ???

1 GBP = 53.00 THB / 100 THB = 1.90 GBP

Thai Baht to British Pounds

Anyone used Kbank or any ATM this morning who can confirm the ATM rate to compare the counter cash rate.

As the man said "ONLY IN THAILAND" :D

Very interesting that thanks Chaimai do you know how close that rate was to the K Bank ATM rate? Their online rates are

GBP Pound Sterling

But visa are showing 53 baht ???

1 GBP = 53.00 THB / 100 THB = 1.90 GBP

Thai Baht to British Pounds

Anyone used Kbank or any ATM this morning who can confirm the ATM rate to compare the counter cash rate.

Sorry, dyslexic typing ! that rate should have been 52.41 that looked about right on the button with their TT rate.

I have always been happy with the rates with the Flexaccount and/or via K Bank.

I would test it by getting more cash out through the ATM...... but I don't want to pay 150 Baht :)

P.s. pertinent to this thread, Ayudhaya looks like is has dropped its 150 B ATM fee as well.

I don't think they ever had the 150bt ATM fee. But, someone on another thread reported they are about to implement it.

This will only apply to Visa/Plus network cards.

They already are using the dynamic currency conversion ripoff for cards carrying the MasterCard or Cirrus logos. Instead of a flat fee, they set their own conversion rate, which is always lower than the Cirrus network rate. This spread means you pay more the more you take out of the machine. The crossover point vis-a-vis the competing 150bt fee depends on the spread -- but the one spread I've seen put it at about 5000bt.

Spoke to a manager at the main post office yesterday she said the credit card is free for purchases even if the account is used for its credit facility,however she said unofficially you can put your account in credit before you go abroad & draw from ATM's without incurring a cash advance fee or any fee for that matter :)

Obviously there's no interest on your money sat in a credit card account but nether is there interest sat in a Nationwide account.

Could be useful as back up to your NW account you could transfer money from your NW card online to your post office account when required, maybe not the best option to leave with the misses though as you have no control on spending up to its credit limit,that's where a NW cash card or pre paid card comes in handy for small sums & swift for buying her a new house :D

So anyone who does not have a NW account may choose to open a post office credit card acc & pay money into that from other UK sourced funds.

Sorry to say that still leaves you stuck with finding a ATM that's free in Thailand so if you get the choice of network when applying, as some card operators offer make sure you pick visa as you have more free ATM's to choose from.

Good point. I would think you could open accounts online in Thailand just before you go back to visit UK. Then go to branch and show documents. Cannot see any way around it.

Today i received a request from Halifax for a 2nd copy of my passport :) i sent the first with my postal application, also was a document for me to sign to confirm my address i had given, the girl at the branch said this is now standard issue to help combat money laundering/fraud etc so i think when you apply online you will get a request for ID & address confirmation in the post in the UK.

I had a quick look at the Abbey Zero credit card. It has no transaction charge for drawing cash but you start paying interest at 27.9% from the day you draw! From the Abbey site:

"1 Some independent ATM providers may charge a fee for cash withdrawals. Cash Transactions charged at a standard rate of 27.9%. Interest charged on all cash transactions from date of transaction."

Amazing hey today in the money advise section of a national newspaper they were blowing this cards trumpet telling all who travel overseas to get in there its the best overseas use card in the country, how misleading they could be as they mentioned all its free Fee,s advantage but somehow never mentioned this high interest rate that's charged from the moment you draw the cash.

From the Abbey site i'd forget that card also lots of complaints with the way Abbey mess up with DDR payments etc.

You've got zero to lose

> 0% foreign exchange fee

If you're travelling abroad, using your Abbey Zero card is a great option. Use it while you're away to pay for everything from coffee and croissants, to sightseeing trips and take comfort in paying no additional fees.

> 0% cash advance fee

It's reassuring to know that if you ever unexpectedly need cash from an ATM, you'll pay zero fees for cash withdrawals1

The sneaky small print 1

1 Some independent ATM providers may charge a fee for cash withdrawals. Cash Transactions charged at a standard rate of 27.9%. Interest charged on all cash transactions from date of transaction.