Satellite Tv Alternatives To Ubc In Phuket?

shadiadi

Are there any good satellite alternatives to UBC in Phuket that are any good. Seeing as they are cutting BBC Entertainment I want to try to get it some other way. I have looked at a couple of other companies but they seem to include the UBC Platinum package which will not help me. As I want to be able to get BBC Entertainment Star World and some movies channels any ideas?

I visited a shop in Thanon Kwang recently & the best package (one of many) they had was virtually everything you get on Platinum except Star World but I am sure one of their other entertainment channels would have many of the same shows. Plus 7 sports channels. Initial fixed cost was quite high but monthly fee was low, & you need an ADSL modem.

I visited a shop in Thanon Kwang recently & the best package (one of many) they had was virtually everything you get on Platinum except Star World but I am sure one of their other entertainment channels would have many of the same shows. Plus 7 sports channels. Initial fixed cost was quite high but monthly fee was low, & you need an ADSL modem.

which shop ??

And what was thier monthly ??

most of the small shops offering these "cracked" UBC packages! try the one next to the honda motorbike dealer in chalong. cost around 9400 baht for the package(dish + dreambox) and pay in advance 6 months monthly fee (350 baht a month)

Need to have an internetconnection! (1 MB enough)

Its working very good actually but of course, if the servers are down or u have a problem with ur internet, no UBC!

most of the small shops offering these "cracked" UBC packages! try the one next to the honda motorbike dealer in chalong. cost around 9400 baht for the package(dish + dreambox) and pay in advance 6 months monthly fee (350 baht a month)

Need to have an internetconnection! (1 MB enough)

Its working very good actually but of course, if the servers are down or u have a problem with ur internet, no UBC!

Is that on Chaofa East or West? Is the monthly fee for the Platinum package?

same street, where wineconnection and flintstone is..! just go little bit further, passing wine connection and on the right side you will find/see a small tv/satelitte shop.. its for the platinum, yeah, I think, the offering only one pack..!

You can have Multichoice via a dreambox. Need internet connection... Cost about 14000 baht to install. Have BBC Entertainment also Sky news from UK. Some premier matches and good movie channels. First year free of subsrciption then 450 baht a month. There is a dealer in Phuket Town. If you travel along Bangkok Rd. Take the right fork an traffic lights by the Thai gas station you will see on the right side a 7/11 shop. about 200 mtrs from the 7/11 ON THE LEFT side is a shop with a satellite dish on the roof. This is the shop. Ask for Lek he speaks good english and is very helpful. Best of luck.

You can have Multichoice via a dreambox. Need internet connection... Cost about 14000 baht to install. Have BBC Entertainment also Sky news from UK. Some premier matches and good movie channels. First year free of subsrciption then 450 baht a month. There is a dealer in Phuket Town. If you travel along Bangkok Rd. Take the right fork an traffic lights by the Thai gas station you will see on the right side a 7/11 shop. about 200 mtrs from the 7/11 ON THE LEFT side is a shop with a satellite dish on the roof. This is the shop. Ask for Lek he speaks good english and is very helpful. Best of luck.

Been there already :D. A girl at the Home Pro in Tesco got a map drawn for me after I went there because somebody here said Home Pro sold a satellite TV system :) . Anyway, the shop has several dishes on their outside wall, so not hard to spot.

Lek speaks Thai and a "litten English" but pretty good in my estimation, and Mel speaks good English (I was told), although I didn't meet him.

I posted about it here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Ubc-t263867....t&p=2725616

Price is now 15,900 including first year subscription, then 6,000 per year.

However, I didn't see "BBC Entertainment" on their list, although I did see BBC Prime :D .

gallery_35489_952_1129739.jpg

Edited by JetsetBkk

Multichoice is probably better known as DSTV, the primary satellite TV provider in Africa. It was the only show in town when I worked in Angola/Nigeria. If you watch cable in Phuket, quite a lot of their channels come from DSTV, but usually only the less than popular ones. On the sports side, apart from extensive English premier league football coverage, they also cover a lot of (particularly Southern Hemisphere) rugby and cricket. Film channels tend to show newer movies, and BBC Prime (in my opinion) is better than BBC Entertainment.

Just visited the place. Am getting both Multichoice AND True Platinum for 1 year, together for less than the cost of 1 year's renewal with True. Obviously there may be pitfalls around internet connection etc, but worth a try.

Just visited the place. Am getting both Multichoice AND True Platinum for 1 year, together for less than the cost of 1 year's renewal with True. Obviously there may be pitfalls around internet connection etc, but worth a try.

I have had both systems for 2 years now... at the beginning i had problems with picture freezing or stopping and it was not very stable.. but now it's much much better.. if it does freeze it's only for a few seconds and is back again.. but a lot does depend on your internet connection. I have Maxnet and it's very good. But value for money is terrific and I am very happy with the service too from Lek

I have had both systems for 2 years now... at the beginning i had problems with picture freezing or stopping and it was not very stable.. but now it's much much better.. if it does freeze it's only for a few seconds and is back again.. but a lot does depend on your internet connection. I have Maxnet and it's very good. But value for money is terrific and I am very happy with the service too from Lek

My internet service (TOT, 4 Mb), has actually been quite consistent the last 6 months or so, so hopefully the packages will live up to expectations. I always have cable TV as a back up, but very rarely watch that.

Concidence, melbat? :)

gallery_35489_952_33154.jpg

Great post guys, sounds like it is time to cancel UBC (the robbing b*$%^ds) and pay Mr Lek a visit.

One silly question, the internet connection serves what purpose?

Thx, M.

The internet connection is essentially in place of the smart card, and hence the need for a reasonable, stable internet connection. Best to visit the shop and see the set up for yourself.

Great post guys, sounds like it is time to cancel UBC (the robbing b*$%^ds) and pay Mr Lek a visit.

Thx, M.

The internet connection is essentially in place of the smart card, and hence the need for a reasonable, stable internet connection. Best to visit the shop and see the set up for yourself.

Actually Mr Pagallim is correct... the signal from the dish is 'scrambled' by the internet and 'Dreambox' So you don't need a smart card. Go and see Lek.. or send a mail or call me (see leaflet above). By the way I'm not an employee of this company but i have had the systems for 2 years now and I'm so pleased with it I'm happy to recommend Lek who gives a great service if you do have a problem. I just told Lek to put my name on his leaflet should anyone want to inquire in English about the system.

... I'm not an employee of this company but i have had the systems for 2 years now and I'm so pleased with it I'm happy to recommend Lek who gives a great service if you do have a problem. I just told Lek to put my name on his leaflet should anyone want to inquire in English about the system.

Thanks, Mel, for clearing that up :D. I'll probably be getting in touch with Lek or yourself after I've tried the new channels on Truevisions for a month. Chance are I'll bin Truevisions, but I'll give them a month. :)

My internet service (TOT, 4 Mb), has actually been quite consistent the last 6 months or so, so hopefully the packages will live up to expectations. I always have cable TV as a back up, but very rarely watch that.

Had the new system installed yesterday, and it's working very well. Picture quality of Multichoice is fractionally better than UBC, but both good. It is BBC Entertainment rather than BBC Prime in Multichoice, and the programming is slightly different (see this link: http://southafrica.bbcentertainment.com/). I also seem to have a couple more UBC channels than I did with the True Platinum package which I've discontinued. Total for installation and 1 year subscription for both Multichoice and UBC, 22,400 baht, thereafter 9,000/year subscription for both.

Had the new system installed yesterday, and it's working very well. Picture quality of Multichoice is fractionally better than UBC, but both good. It is BBC Entertainment rather than BBC Prime in Multichoice, and the programming is slightly different (see this link: http://southafrica.bbcentertainment.com/). I also seem to have a couple more UBC channels than I did with the True Platinum package which I've discontinued. Total for installation and 1 year subscription for both Multichoice and UBC, 22,400 baht, thereafter 9,000/year subscription for both.

I am interested to know at what time the prime time shows air on BBC E considering it will be on African time e.g Waking the Dead, Spooks, Torchwood.

I am interested to know at what time the prime time shows air on BBC E considering it will be on African time e.g Waking the Dead, Spooks, Torchwood.

Use the link that I inserted in my previous post, it will give you the programme schedules for any given day. Don't forget, UBC ceases to broadcast BBC Entertainment from Monday 1st June anyway.

Here is also the link for all DSTV programming: http://www.dstv.com/dstvsa/content/en/sa/listings_guide

[

Use the link that I inserted in my previous post, it will give you the programme schedules for any given day. Don't forget, UBC ceases to broadcast BBC Entertainment from Monday 1st June anyway.

Here is also the link for all DSTV programming: http://www.dstv.com/dstvsa/content/en/sa/listings_guide

Will have to adjust for the time difference. I just checked BBC E for Asia & for my taste this looks better than the feed to SA. However, we cannot have it all our own way & must make do with what is available as UBC/True certainly do not seem to take into account the wishes of their customers. I visited their office yesterday & they were not very happy about all the cancellations.

I too would like a demonstration of the system & what can be shown & no doubt K. Lek is getting many requests lately.

Will have to adjust for the time difference. I just checked BBC E for Asia & for my taste this looks better than the feed to SA. However, we cannot have it all our own way & must make do with what is available as UBC/True certainly do not seem to take into account the wishes of their customers. I visited their office yesterday & they were not very happy about all the cancellations.

I too would like a demonstration of the system & what can be shown & no doubt K. Lek is getting many requests lately.

Agree that 'prime time' SA is too late for most Thai viewers. However, given that from Monday BBC Entertainment disappears from True/UBC in any case, the SA broadcast is the only alternative. I've actually been watching quite a lot of BBC Lifestyle, which is very entertaining also.

I too would like a demonstration of the system & what can be shown & no doubt K. Lek is getting many requests lately

You can contact Lek (see copy of leaflet in previous post) to see all the channels and set up in operation or if you want an explanation and demo in English contact me on my number. I have both systems so you can see all the channels working and picture quality etc etc.

Thx, M.

To crack the encryption..

Remember this is an illegal hack job.. So dont start whinging when theres issues.. Kinda funny calling UBC robbing bastrads when thats what this thread is about.

Personally I play with sat stuff, but keep a legal UBC sub so its got 100% uptime.. Losing net means you lose TV and both gone at once is a pain.

Edited by LivinLOS

Actually Mr Pagallim is correct... the signal from the dish is 'scrambled' by the internet and 'Dreambox' So you don't need a smart card. Go and see Lek.. or send a mail or call me (see leaflet above)...

Not really. The signal is NOT scrambled by either the internet or the Dreambox. It's scrambled by the content provider (who has licensed the programming) when they beam it up to the satellite. What you receive at your Dreambox is the scrambled signal from the satellite. In order to de-scramble the signal, you need a smartcard (which you have in your UBC receiver if you subscribe to their service). The smartcard generates a "control code" in sync with time that matches the control code required by the scrambled signal at any given time.

What some satellite shops (such as the one mentioned here) are selling is the ability to share a single smartcard among many users - thus eliminating the requirement for you to lease a smartcard from the legitimate content provider. Since your Dreambox doesn't have its own smartcard, it makes a request to the satellite shop's server via the internet to get the generated code as needed - as often as every couple of seconds. If you have a slow or unstable internet connection, your Dreambox won't get the code in a timely manner, and your programming will be interrupted.

As LivinLOS points out - cardsharing in this manner is illegal. Essentially, the satellite shop is leasing one legitimate smartcard from the content provider, and illegally re-selling that content to their customers without compensating the provider.