Satellite Tv Alternatives To Ubc In Phuket?

shadiadi

Ok, I think I understand, so would I be correct to assume the following scenario's (location of server):

1. Satellite shop loses power everyone loses tv.

2. Satellite shop has heavy rain above it everyone loses tv.

3. Satellite shop internet craps out everyone loses tv.

I'm not complaining, just trying to figure out how stable the system is. It's Got to be better than paying UBC. Can anyone give an estimate of average downtime of this setup (not down to your own internet setup)? Is the server in Mr Lek's shop? :)

Ta,

Mart.

Ok, I think I understand, so would I be correct to assume the following scenario's (location of server):

1. Satellite shop loses power everyone loses tv.

2. Satellite shop has heavy rain above it everyone loses tv.

3. Satellite shop internet craps out everyone loses tv.

I'm not complaining, just trying to figure out how stable the system is. It's Got to be better than paying UBC. Can anyone give an estimate of average downtime of this setup (not down to your own internet setup)? Is the server in Mr Lek's shop? :)

Ta,

Mart.

Yes along with internet connection between you and sat shop drops.. you lose TV.. Even if its just hanging for a few seconds, or slow pings..

I would say thats the biggest hurdle for many, to have 100% faultless uptime on Thai internet.. OK if its just reruns of the deadliest catch, kinda awful if its the starting line for the end of season GP etc..

As I said, for me using cardshare is mostly for the 'fun' of finding all the channels, multiple sats and packages, having the options.. But I wouldn use it as my sole TV source. But then I am the kind of person who hates it when things do not work 110% as they should.. Highly fault intolerant.

Yes along with internet connection between you and sat shop drops.. you lose TV.. Even if its just hanging for a few seconds, or slow pings..

I would say thats the biggest hurdle for many, to have 100% faultless uptime on Thai internet.. OK if its just reruns of the deadliest catch, kinda awful if its the starting line for the end of season GP etc..

As I said, for me using cardshare is mostly for the 'fun' of finding all the channels, multiple sats and packages, having the options.. But I wouldn use it as my sole TV source. But then I am the kind of person who hates it when things do not work 110% as they should.. Highly fault intolerant.

Reading most of the experiences posted, most people seem to have consistency in their internet connection (I know that I do). Even UBC is prone to picture loss during very bad weather, so nothing is guaranteed 100%. I believe that the servers we connect through are in Bangkok, not the shop itself.

I have had both systems for 2 years now... at the beginning i had problems with picture freezing or stopping and it was not very stable.. but now it's much much better.. if it does freeze it's only for a few seconds and is back again.. but a lot does depend on your internet connection. I have Maxnet and it's very good. But value for money is terrific and I am very happy with the service too from Lek

Concidence, melbat? :)

gallery_35489_952_33154.jpg

I like to get a system like this, we have a internet connection 3 kp

How can you get 8 tv set connected on one sat disk

We have 8 bungalows where I like to put this system

can we just buy 8 control units one sat disk and use our internet connection wireless wifi for all bungalows on one telephone line ?

For anyone who either has a home elsewhere in the world or knows someone elsewhere with good tv, might I suggest Slingbox and Slingcatcher? The manufacturers are Slingmedia and they obviously have a website. The simple idea is that the Slingbox is attached to the tv (including satellite, cable, dvd or whatever) and sends the signal by internet to the Slingcatcher, which is attached to your tv (you can also send it to your pc without the need for a Slingcatcher).

It seems to work ok with sky tv from the UK and removes the need for UBC etc. No costs after purchase, which is about £400 for the whole kit and caboodle. Personally, it suits because the effects of the credit crunch mean that I can spend only about 1 month in 3 in LOS and the rest in the UK, and I can't do without good rugby coverage.

For anyone who either has a home elsewhere in the world or knows someone elsewhere with good tv, might I suggest Slingbox and Slingcatcher? The manufacturers are Slingmedia and they obviously have a website. The simple idea is that the Slingbox is attached to the tv (including satellite, cable, dvd or whatever) and sends the signal by internet to the Slingcatcher, which is attached to your tv (you can also send it to your pc without the need for a Slingcatcher).

It seems to work ok with sky tv from the UK and removes the need for UBC etc. No costs after purchase, which is about £400 for the whole kit and caboodle. Personally, it suits because the effects of the credit crunch mean that I can spend only about 1 month in 3 in LOS and the rest in the UK, and I can't do without good rugby coverage.

Slingbox is great, but of course is dependent on you (or family/friends) having a service at your 'home'. I know there are a few companies that offer 'proxy' Slingbox services, though these tend to be quite expensive as you're paying for the subscription service, plus the Slingbox service, and of course the profit margin for the service provider.. The price of the kit is OK, but then of course there is the monthly subscriptions to Sky or whomever. My personal gut feel is that within 5 years or so, internet based TV will be available globally (obviously at a cost), as the market is vast for this kind of service. Showstopper at the moment I think is individual country licensing.

can we just buy 8 control units one sat disk and use our internet connection wireless wifi for all bungalows on one telephone line ?

Give Mel a call - telephone number in the picture in the post above.

Thats easy and can legally done with networked dreamboxes and a master / client local cardshare.

No problems with intermittant internet either.

• 2 months later...

Can you please tell me what sort of Dreambox you are using. I have the rest of the kit - large dish etc... and my receiver has just 'blown up'. After reading this very useful thread - I am looking to get a Dreambox with a USB connection for the internet via my PC and probably without a CAM for a smartcard.

I use dreambox 500's but any of them work for this purpose.

The 500 doesnt have USB connections it has a network port and is a small networked computer.

Thanks for the info LivinLOS. I will investigate that box further.

This sounds very good,and an interesting alternative to UBC.I have a business in which i have local cable,and ubc,the main reason being for showing sport within the business i.e premier league on UBC,and say cricket on cable tv at the same time.

If i was to invest in this system,would i do away with cable and ubc,and only have multichoice? is the premier league available on multichoice?,as this is the main reason for me having ubc at the moment.

PST.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect this post but i have a quick question ref the dreamboxes. (im sure livinlos will know the answer)

My current true visions/UBC sat box doesnt have even an S video output and i cant cope with the picture quality so am looking at getting a dreambox PVR instead. Im not the account holder for the UBC gold package that i currently have as its paid direct to the rental agency so its hassle trying to get the existing box changed for their newer model. (if anyone has a spare box that would be great)

So can i buy a Dreambox DM600 PVR + 120 GB HDD then just simply stick my current UBC card in it. Im hoping that would then give me a slightly better option of outputs from the box and also a PVR. It would also be cheaper than the official UBC PVR 15k option.

If anyone can confirm this that would be great

[

Use the link that I inserted in my previous post, it will give you the programme schedules for any given day. Don't forget, UBC ceases to broadcast BBC Entertainment from Monday 1st June anyway.

Here is also the link for all DSTV programming: http://www.dstv.com/dstvsa/content/en/sa/listings_guide

Will have to adjust for the time difference. I just checked BBC E for Asia & for my taste this looks better than the feed to SA. However, we cannot have it all our own way & must make do with what is available as UBC/True certainly do not seem to take into account the wishes of their customers. I visited their office yesterday & they were not very happy about all the cancellations.

I too would like a demonstration of the system & what can be shown & no doubt K. Lek is getting many requests lately.

I have recently had a long spat with The BBC, as their standards are slipping so badly and you get nothing but repeat after repeat.

Hustle was on last saturday evening and lo and behold it came on again on sunday evening.

Anyway the end of the story from their anonymous writer was that UBC have cancelled the BBC contract so any BBC prime or Entertainment is pirated in Thailand. And they are not happy about it.