Most Single Isaan Women Want A Western Husband: Poll

george

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

484 people could be a very valid sample. You have to take things such as the deviation, variation, sampling process and such into consideration, but from a pure statistical standpoint, that could very well be an acceptable sample.

Well I believe that any statistician would tell you that the sample size must be "significant" ,meaning big enough, for the population involved to get an accurate result.

484 from a few thousands is may be acceptable,…..but from millions of issan women?

No I still don't buy it, because in this case... the deviation result would be so far away from the mean of may be "what is the reality"

No, a any statistician wouldn't say that a sample must be "significant", only that it must be correctly distributed. From any number of people you can take a sample of 1040 and have reasonable confidence in your findings (i.e. national pollings for elections with at least +-3% accuracy), if the selection-process is correct.

You beat me to it!

Variance is also a factor. If you have a population of 1,000,000 and a smaple of 100 (scientifically selected, not just 100 people who happened to be watching Pretty Woman at a theater together), and 99 out of the hundred said that without a doubt, x is the better choice, then the population can be said, with fair accuracy, to desire x. The variance is very small.

But if the same 100 people split their votes to 50 saying x is the choice, 30 saying y is the choice, and 20 saying neither one, then the variance is greater, and perhaps a larger sample is needed to get more accurate data.

Excellent, every so often TV throws up something other than the usual dross, such as where to buy vegemite in Pattaya or issues involving sin sot and how much is my wife/girfriend ripping me off for.

From what I remember of sampling,

many times it is desirable but impractical or impossible to check every item which has been "produced", as a result it is necessary to spot check items to ascertain they are satisfactory.

Sampling and spot checking we have applied are based on the same principle, which, when properly applied and understood, will enable us to collect data on a potion of the commodity involved and draw conclusions concerning the entire group.

These conclusions will be accurate enough to be of practical use. Contrary however to what might appear, there is nothing haphazard about the method or planning involved in sampling.

Perhaps the commonest cause of inaccuracy in sampling is the inability to remove bias from the sampling process.

Samples must be random.

Common causes of inaccurate results are errors in measurement and the assumption that all sets of errors fall into a normal pattern of distribution. Each of these sorces of error is usually introduced into the process by negligence or lack of understanding of sampling.

You will probably use only random or stratified samples, any set pattern of selecting cases on a repetitive basis tends to eliminate randomness as a consequence, bias the result of sampling

The larger the sample or samples the more representative they are . Why?, this is because as the size increases the closer a sample approaches a census.

Sampling is based on the laws of probability.

How accurate must the results be? Or what error can be tolerated . Tolerance and tolerance error?

Basic sampling procedures involve 6 basic steps. Since each step study may present its own problems, you may desire to perform additional related steps such as recomputing the number of observations required and/or performing cumulative calculations as each sample is gathered. I general terms, however, the following steps will apply.

1. Determine the purpose and scope of the study.

2. Make an appropriate recording form.

3. Determine the random values.

4. Make a preliminary estimate.

5. Calculate the approximate number of observations required.

6. Complete the observations.

I cant be bothered going into control devices or correlation, my head hurts, even surprized I can still remember this, I need a beer.

Do we have an actuary among our members?

It doesn't do any good to their image if many of them are hiding their husbands while they try to seduce farangs.

vice versa.......... :)

I think reputation of Englishmen looking for brides in Thailand is beyond salvation, it's not them I worry about. Most of them are way past mating age, too.

It doesn't do any good to their image if many of them are hiding their husbands while they try to seduce farangs.

I think reputation of Englishmen looking for brides in Thailand is beyond salvation, it's not them I worry about. Most of them are way past mating age, too.

aaaah...those englishmen

They all think...... they are still "007" instead of "700".......oh well :D

Looking for brides?.....I would think at their age,...seeing flowers would scare them :D

Edited by teacup

Well, yeah, but at least they don't have problems with mating..

I hope god built in some hibernation mechanism in all those middle aged single women waiting for their English knights.

It's just misery all around.

Depressing topic.

I hope god built in some hibernation mechanism in all those middle aged single women waiting for their English knights.

Depressing topic.

English knights in shining armor?

Hmm......more like knights wrapped in aluminum foil.....haha

yeah I agree....depressing topic really

better go off to Zzzzzzzzz for me :)

This is no different than Western women ( Yes English, American, European etc etc ) wanting to find a rich handsome man who is caring, kind and faithful.

Trying to put a spin on it as some sort of Isaan only thing is utterly silly.

Plenty of young western girls, dream of finding the rich handsome man who will take care of them for the rest of their lives.

Thai's do not see looks as important as Western girls do that is all. Stability, money and faithfulness is more important to them, especially if they come from a poor background. Much the same as any other country historically or otherwise that had little in the way of a welfare society.

The fact that the same women might be able to have fair skinned children might have a slight impact as well but i would imagine that is far down the list of admirable attributes for all but a few.

Try going to poor area in the so called western world and flash the cash, drive a nice car and wear lots of expensive gear and see how much attention you get from so called liberated western women.

Women tend to think differently to men and i have witnessed some true love between individuals that, on the face of it, were a complete mismatch. One partner being beautiful/handsome and the other being beaten by an ugly stick. More often than not it is the bloke who has been beaten with the stick but it is obvious the woman loves him. Why? because he has created a life for her where she is happy, comfortable and feels secure.

As for trying to make this a Race or north/south thing. How pitiful and blind is that?

Depressing topic.

English knights in shining armor?

Hmm......more like knights wrapped in aluminum foil.....haha

yeah I agree....depressing topic really

better go off to Zzzzzzzzz for me :)

Good idea, your old American man might think his young sweety is being unfaithful with an old Brit.

Marry a man because of his wealth, no different to prostitutes! They must love money more than everything, very greedy!

I love you so much!

Thai style?

Western style?

What is the difference?

Within 1 year after a marriage it will get very clear, it is all about:

1 The size of you wallet;

2 Your house and car;

3 And maybe some anatomical appendage.

Maybe the Thai woman is more honest, if you can provide for me, good!

I will love you.

Now take the generalised, standard western woman, never talks about money before.

But starts plucking you no less as the generalised idea about Thai/Isan women.

We all know about Thai women, or we think we know.

Maybe the ieas of Thai women are more realistic?

Maybe we, and I generalise again, are all duds to fall for it, and use our western ideas to contemplate love?

Marry me, or I will kill you. And later I will clean you out

This is not about Isaan women. All women tend to search for a richer husband, worldwide.

There was a poll in germany among wealthy women, e.g. ceo's, and even they answered that they want a partner, who is richer/wealthier than them.

And i also would like to find a lady who has lots of $ ;-)

While most responses so far are concentrating on the fact that falang are perceived as being wealthy and therefore a good catch, I think it is just as important to note that over 50% thought we are kinder and more respectful of women.

Given the discrimination that the darker-skinned Isarn women face in Thailand, The fact that falang are apparently colour-blind is also a powerful factor. It must be empowering to Isarn women to know that there are men in this world who appreciate the beauty of many of them and are not hung-up on how dark or light their skin.

So there is the immediate benfit of feeling wanted but also the benefit of light-skinned offspring in the future. Which is a considerable benefit for those children in colour-conscious Thailand.

Speak for yourself. I know plenty of guys who prefer fair skinned Asian girls. Most Western guys end up with Isaan girls because they are so freely available and not through any preference. That's my observation, anyway.

484 women is not really a big survey is it, when considering the geagraphical size of Isaan

I think if a reasonable study was made the percentages might be higher then 3/5th's.

Interesting they think English as No.1 when many expats think the English tourists are skinheaded drunken thugs (speaking as an Englishman BTW) :D:)

Cheers (Ooops)

:D

Dave

What you have to remember is that the drunken skinheads rarely make it further than Pattaya or Phuket so those lovely Isaan girls only see the more gentlemanly side of us Brits.

Here here that man spot on !!!! :D

On the second thought, many of them could be way past an acceptable "mating age", just old hags trying their luck.

Is there any hope for Isanese women reputation at all?

Plus, you're having a tease..serve me right for being so po faced.

But you're right about those Englishmen.A friend of mine told me the NE (esp Korat, Khon Khaen, Ubon, Nongkai) is swarming with unattractive middle aged and elderly English yokels and their dumpy Isarn "brides".You can be fairly sure there won't be too many with say Abhisit's or Korn's English pedigree.

While most responses so far are concentrating on the fact that falang are perceived as being wealthy and therefore a good catch, I think it is just as important to note that over 50% thought we are kinder and more respectful of women.

Given the discrimination that the darker-skinned Isarn women face in Thailand, The fact that falang are apparently colour-blind is also a powerful factor. It must be empowering to Isarn women to know that there are men in this world who appreciate the beauty of many of them and are not hung-up on how dark or light their skin.

So there is the immediate benfit of feeling wanted but also the benefit of light-skinned offspring in the future. Which is a considerable benefit for those children in colour-conscious Thailand.

Speak for yourself. I know plenty of guys who prefer fair skinned Asian girls. Most Western guys end up with Isaan girls because they are so freely available and not through any preference. That's my observation, anyway.

Not at all, many Europeans are much more colorblind when it comes to Asians.

Expats however have a tendency to grow into the Thai mindset...

On the second thought, many of them could be way past an acceptable "mating age", just old hags trying their luck.

Is there any hope for Isanese women reputation at all?

Plus, you're having a tease..serve me right for being so po faced.

But you're right about those Englishmen.A friend of mine told me the NE (esp Korat, Khon Khaen, Ubon, Nongkai) is swarming with unattractive middle aged and elderly English yokels and their dumpy Isarn "brides".You can be fairly sure there won't be too many with say Abhisit's or Korn's English pedigree.

Steady on...and what nationality deems fit to run the Brits down, dam fine bunch of chaps i say and i think the issarn girls would back me up on that from the poll :D

Even Frankenstein could marry a greedy farang hungry isaan girl. It's the ones who seek a farang who're the biggest scammers. There're good girls out there but they never intend to marry farang. That's not to say that you cannot win them over!

Marry a man because of his wealth, no different to prostitutes! They must love money more than everything, very greedy!

No different from most Western women, in their early 40's and up, who are getting desperate to snag a meal ticket and security for the rest of their lives.

If the term prostitute applies to women, who exchange sexual favours for money (an/or material things), you will find, that there are a lot of prostitutes in the world :D

Very sad for the some of the poor males in Issaan, (and other parts of Thailand, or for that matter, the World). Then again, maybe they are lucky, not to end up with the money grabbing b...... :)

The poll is really about the perceptions of western men rather than the reality.

..but perception IS reality..just ask the Palestinians and the Jews,the Americans and Taliban in Afganistan,or any two groups where both sides have 180 degree differences of opinion but they are both "100% right",because their perceptions become their reality.

beware the siren cry of the isaan lady...this smells like a trap to me...but I am a conspiracy theorist....

it would be interesting to see what a similar survey of the pale hi-so ladies in Bangkok would reveal...I think the results might be different!

The poll is really about the perceptions of western men rather than the reality.

..but perception IS reality..just ask the Palestinians and the Jews,the Americans and Taliban in Afganistan,or any two groups where both sides have 180 degree differences of opinion but they are both "100% right",because their perceptions become their reality.

Yes, you are absolutely right.  Perception does in fact become the reality and results in the actions being taken, even if the perception has no basis an actuality.

It's not marrying into money, it's marrying into foreign culture, though only 16% want to actually leave Thailand.

I suspect that marrying into local money would not be to their taste.

I would agree with that 16% figure.

I used to date a lot in the Philippines when I was there as a young man, and the majority of the women who dated Americans wanted to move to the US with her new American husband.

Now that I am here in Thailand, I have had the opportunity to go out with more than a few Thai women, albeit not that many from Issan.  Very few want to leave Thailand.  They would rather have a husband who will relocate to and live here.

of course they want to marry a farang, a thai man might expect them to contribute to the household in some way, maybe even get a job

What a load of crap for a generalisation, you surely are the most brilliant farang living in Patters?

The woman I live with had to go working age 12 (we would call that child exploitation) - she got 500B for her first month.

I found her still hard working age 30.

I do see lots of other hard working females, dunno for the males though :)