Atm/credit Cards From Uk To Bangkok

dageshi

Hello gents just hoping for a little advice. I unfortunately lost my ATM/Credit card last week, was in my pocket then it wasn't, canceled the cards and new ones got issued in the UK. My parents are going to send it out, I could do with them within the next 5-6 days. I'm staying at a guesthouse but I know the owner quite well and would trust her to receive them (she's looked after stuff of mine in the past). Another complication is that my passport is at the British Embassy being renewed because I've run out of pages in my passport, could anyone recommend the best way of getting the cards (three of them, plus some little USB doohicky for my laptop which lets me use the nationwide account) from the UK to BKK? Recommended delivery services, dhl? parcelforce? e.t.c?

Any help much appreciated.

Do a search on here for previous threads about this because there have been many.

The courier firms will not touch credit cards so if you want to use them then secrete the card in a book and dont tell them about it.

Do not send in normal post though because the card will simply vanish.

As I said there have been many long threads about this subject and different people have different opinions about how to send.

HL :)

Hi, Iam not saying that anythink can happen, but I have lived here four years now

and my bank has allways sent ever thing by post including cards and monthly things

for me and my wife and it allways gets here and on time.

Hi, Iam not saying that anythink can happen, but I have lived here four years now

and my bank has allways sent ever thing by post including cards and monthly things

for me and my wife and it allways gets here and on time.

Famous last words!! :):D:D

I had a card sent over (from the UK) by normal post and it never arrived,

the next one i had sent by recorded delivery and that arrived fine.

I don't know what happened to the first card but no one tried to buy anything with it.

Well I can only quote from my own experiences.

I use the Nat.West. Bank and when I lost my wallet they cancelled all my cards forthwith but point blank refused to send any replacement cards to Thailand. They would only send them to the address I use in the UK.

Then when my relatives sent out the cards by post they never arrived, so they tried all the courier companies who all refused to handle credit cards.

I even phoned up the airlines to see if I could send by cargo and EVA said I could but with the insurance it would cost me in excess of 100 pounds.

It was only afterwards that it was suggested to me to secrete the cards in a book and send that by courier which I thought was a pretty good idea, but I havent tried it yet.

Of course if a card does go missing then it is useless to the thief because it would'nt have been validated yet. (at least I hope every sane person would have the sense not to validate it beforehand anyway) but it is still not nice knowing strangers have your cards with your name on.

Everybody, it seems has different experiences but I would certainly not recommend anyone to send by post.

15 years here and mine have always arrived by post with not problem. However this year they decided to send it by Fed-Ex and yep, didn't show up and was returned to them. Of course it wouldn't, my mailing address is a PO Box. :)

Well Tywais so your mail never leaves the post office then and the ordinary underpaid postman never gets his hands on the mail to feel whats inside does he. That just goes to show who does most of the pilfering then does'nt it? But of course there is no authority in Thailand who is the least bit interested in missing mail to do anything about it.

I sent one though ordinary mail and it arrived ok. I did put it between some t shirts to hide what it was though. Never had anything go missing. I think it might help that I print the address in Thai.

I have used Royal Mail international Recorded in the past with 100% success.

Delivery is normally 3 to 5 days from my experience.

I always write the recipients name in Thai & the address in clear block capitals & duplicate the address in Thai underneath.

Post Offices won't accept receipt of the item unless it has address in English (Roman script).

If posting bank cards disguise them.

I have sent & received bank cards, TC's & mobile phones without a problem so far.

Standard mail can be a bit hit or miss.

... could anyone recommend the best way of getting the cards (three of them, plus some little USB doohicky for my laptop which lets me use the nationwide account) from the UK to BKK? ...
Check out this post: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Receiving-Va...t&p=1994519

I had stuff sent by a Royal Mail service called "Priority Handling and Registered Delivery". About 5 pounds each package. One had a bank card reader in it, the other had the card in it. Don't know about any customs form.

It's a standalone card reader - doesn't connect to your computer.

Well Tywais so your mail never leaves the post office then and the ordinary underpaid postman never gets his hands on the mail to feel whats inside does he. That just goes to show who does most of the pilfering then does'nt it? But of course there is no authority in Thailand who is the least bit interested in missing mail to do anything about it.

I remember reading a newspaper report a couple of years ago when a police colonel was quoted as saying that it was not an offence to steal from the mail. TIT

Renewal replacments for both my credit cards are sent to me from the UK via DHL. In nearly 10 years there has never been a problem. I wish that I could say the same for other mails.

As noted above, International Recorded (I think they call it 'signed for' now) works well. Just make sure the contents doesn't look like cards or cash (or anything else worth purloining).

Dad uses a paperback book to send things like that to me, light enough not to attract excessive postage charges, boring enough not to attract a light-fingered postie :)