Post Pictures Of Your House Walls

I`m about to build a new wall around my house and I`m looking for some ideas so if you have any photos of your wall can you show a sample. I like the concrete and iron walls as opposed to stainless and I was thinking of having the concrete low between the columns and the iron high which allows you to see out more.

Any more ideas and photos will be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
One like this will let you see out quite well :)

Holy crap, who owns that? Is the builder still alive?

Not if he's under it.

I don't see a great deal of re-bar, or cement for that matter :D

One like this will let you see out quite well :)

Holy crap, who owns that? Is the builder still alive?

Not if he's under it.

I don't see a great deal of re-bar, or cement for that matter :D

Yeah, looks like they didn't even use re-bar in the support posts, I used the same thickness re-bar in my wall as I did in the house construction. Overkill? After looking at this picture, probably not.

I`m about to build a new wall around my house and I`m looking for some ideas so if you have any photos of your wall can you show a sample. I like the concrete and iron walls as opposed to stainless and I was thinking of having the concrete low between the columns and the iron high which allows you to see out more.

Thanks.

Hi,

A picture of my wall...

Karsten

Wall.jpg

A couple more I spotted,

:) First pic man, what are they using between the bricks? Can't imagine it to be strong, there's no level of finish to. Take a better example:

huisstijl-stockfoto-5237.jpg

the intention of the constructor of that first brick wall might be to create a look that shall appears to be ancient.

post-22250-1246287110_thumb.jpg 36516307616777ee5aba.jpg

didn't search long to find an example but maybe this Ayutthaya photos gives you the idea.

A couple more I spotted,

:) First pic man, what are they using between the bricks? Can't imagine it to be strong, there's no level of finish to. Take a better example:

huisstijl-stockfoto-5237.jpg

the intention of the constructor of that first brick wall might be to create a look that shall appears to be ancient.

post-22250-1246287110_thumb.jpg 36516307616777ee5aba.jpg

didn't search long to find an example but maybe this Ayutthaya photos gives you the idea.

Agreed, it looks like it was intended to look, old and rustic.

post-22250-1246287110_thumb.jpg

There are two properties in the area where this pic is from, not far from each other, built by the same people, using this type of wall.

If you could see the full walls they are nothing short of stunning, absolutely beautiful.!! They compliment the style and layout of the properties to the max. superb!! :)

Thanks.

Hi,

A picture of my wall...

Karsten

Wall.jpg

good god that is ugly

Thanks.

Hi,

A picture of my wall...

Karsten

Wall.jpg

good god that is ugly

Why don't you say what you really mean? :)

Thanks.

Hi,

A picture of my wall...

Karsten

Wall.jpg

good god that is ugly

Why don't you say what you really mean? :)

I think the word he was looking for is kitsch.

There are two properties in the area where this pic is from, not far from each other, built by the same people, using this type of wall.

If you could see the full walls they are nothing short of stunning, absolutely beautiful.!! They compliment the style and layout of the properties to the max. superb!! :)

Quite right the other one is just up the road on the right going north, that one is even better. If I go that way I'll get a couple of pics.

For the benefit of Datsun240Z the bricks are small hand made red bricks held together with a small blob of cement in the middle of the brick, no cement should be seen on the edge of the bricks. The effect is that they are just stacked there. Very nice indeed.

Thanks.

Hi,

A picture of my wall...

Karsten

Wall.jpg

good god that is ugly

Why don't you say what you really mean? :D

I think it's nice :)

post-83248-1246699589_thumb.jpg

This is part of the wall outside my property. I know from your post that you are not after stainless, and you could just as easily bung in some iron there. The brown blocks are cheap to buy at 23 baht a piece (in bulk of course) and fill in easily between the columns. I reckon this wall would be reasonable in cost and I think it's attractive (personally, but each to their own). Yes I know it needs a coat of paint now (10 years ago was last time) ...october project LOL.

P.S. karsten, you 'lich falaaang' LOL ...nice house mind !

I have yet to understand the fixation with building prison walls around your own home. Why not just plant thick (thorn) shrubs instead? It looks and feels wonderful.

Really - aside from the sense of false security such prison walls offer, why do you do it? I say false because such walls will never stop a determined thief, anyway. Not flaming here - just trying to understand the reasons/rationale. Thanks in advance.

I have yet to understand the fixation with building prison walls around your own home. Why not just plant thick (thorn) shrubs instead? It looks and feels wonderful.

Really - aside from the sense of false security such prison walls offer, why do you do it? I say false because such walls will never stop a determined thief, anyway. Not flaming here - just trying to understand the reasons/rationale. Thanks in advance.

For one, there is a legal reson. Serious trespassing to climb a wall. Gives you the right to waist them.

Wall keeps dogs out

IMHO, it's very much Horses for Courses :)

Notwithstanding the security aspect, which shrubs will do as well as (or better than) a wall, consider:-

Maintenance. If you've got a couple of hundred metres of shrubbery you'll need a man to keep it under control and you'll be needing access to the outside to trim it, neighbours may not be happy letting your man tramp all over their property to trim your hedge. A wall requires little maintenance.

Footprint. Your lovely shrubbery won't provide much security (and won't look particularly beautiful) if it's only 6" thick, if space is no issue the the plants look nice and are impenetrable.

Thanks.

I like the simplicity and low maintenance of brick style walls. Here is an example that has a nice look. They put in a rather solid foundation before they laid any of the bricks.

post-498-1247193480_thumb.jpg post-498-1247193510_thumb.jpg

my [not so] humble opinion is: "looks like sh*t".

I think I will go for something like this, with some land mines, it's nice to keep unwanted people away you know :) !

alcatraz-barbed-wire-fence-1280.jpg

Thank you for that ..nearly pee'd myself and spilt my coffee ........ great humour in the middle of all the rest of the bickering..LOL

You should get a day pass for that... Amazing how many Farang style Thai houses in the middle of nowhere and totally out of context with locale look like Colditz though.

Must be a big face thing....

For one, there is a legal reson. Serious trespassing to climb a wall. Gives you the right to waist them.

Wall keeps dogs out

I don't know...I suppose I am a bit used to the USA where, in the average neighborhood, walls are rare and considered a comment on the owners' state of mind and the neighborhood as well as a restriction of personal freedom - and we all know how us Yanks love our freedom (ok, minus the past 8 years - lol). Thorny shrubs and security wire running through it or maybe an unobtrusive fence would be my personal preference to keep out what is not wanted.

High concrete walls and steel bars are just too penitentiary-ish for my tastes, but to each their own. Lay-o-tay! lol

Cheers!

Edited by SNGLIFE

Thanks.

I like the simplicity and low maintenance of brick style walls. Here is an example that has a nice look. They put in a rather solid foundation before they laid any of the bricks.

post-498-1247193480_thumb.jpg post-498-1247193510_thumb.jpg

Part of a function of a wall should be security. The hand holes and foot holes will be much appreciated by your local burglar.