The Duke's - Don't Get It!

DavidOxon

Hi all

after all the recent fuss/ravings about the Duke's, I thought I'd give it a try, having

managed to not eat there yet in the year and a half I've been living here.

And to be honest, we won't be eating there again. We thought we'd try some of our

favourite farang foods so ordered buffalo wings, ribs, and a pizza, and I had a couple of G n Ts :D

The sauce the wings came in was horrible, quite sour and un-appetising, and a small portion, the ribs

never came at all!!! so can't comment. The pizza was impressive looking, but SO SALTY

to make it almost inedible, and the G n T's were 150 bht each, extortionate!

For the 'pleasure' of all this we had to stump up 850 bht! Enought for us to eat out

every night for a week locally, including beer!

(one more thing, why do Americans have to talk so loudly when eating out, is it a cultural thing?)

So... won't be eating there again, but could list it in my top 10 worst places I have eaten

in Chiang Mai

David

Americans? Loud? Which ones are the loud ones?

Hassedic Jews from New York?

Cattlemen from Texas?

Red-skinned Indians from the plains states.

Hawaiian hula dancers?

Professors from Boston?

Mexican migrant landscapers in S. California.

Red-necks from Georgia?

Fishermen from down-east in Maine?

Wine snobs from Napa Valley (N. Calif.)

Farmers from Iowa?

Factory workers from Detroit?

Computer geeks from Silicon Valley?

Eskimos from Alsaka?

Cubanos from Miami?

Micro-brewery owners? (Actually there are thousands of them! All loud. True.)

How about Tiger Woods? He seems pretty loud. Nice swing, though.

My grandparents were Swedish immigrants to America. They talked softly, but laughed loudly. Does that count?

How many quiet Americans are there? They seem to be every where but they are stealthy b*stards. Sometimes they slurp their noodles. I hate that. Those are the Asian-Americans. There are 14 million of them.

Is it true all the males are all well-endowed and the females are blonde? And war mongers, too.

oh ...

I give Duke's 2 1/2 stars out of 4.

:D

Such passion, such energy, such nationalistic pride on this thread!

When I was a young parent, 2 decades ago, and saw my 2 year old bound about with endless energy, I thought like many others "Wouldn't it be wonderful to bottle this energy and give it to us, the parents, who need more?"

If I could bottle the energy on this thread, and channel it towards international understanding and acceptance of differences....Bingo.

World Peace, overnight. :)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

after all the recent fuss/ravings about the Duke's, I thought I'd give it a try, having

managed to not eat there yet in the year and a half I've been living here.

And to be honest, we won't be eating there again. We thought we'd try some of our

favourite farang foods so ordered buffalo wings, ribs, and a pizza, and I had a couple of G n Ts :D

The sauce the wings came in was horrible, quite sour and un-appetising, and a small portion, the ribs

never came at all!!! so can't comment. The pizza was impressive looking, but SO SALTY

to make it almost inedible, and the G n T's were 150 bht each, extortionate!

For the 'pleasure' of all this we had to stump up 850 bht! Enought for us to eat out

every night for a week locally, including beer!

(one more thing, why do Americans have to talk so loudly when eating out, is it a cultural thing?)

So... won't be eating there again, but could list it in my top 10 worst places I have eaten

in Chiang Mai

David

Americans? Loud? Which ones are the loud ones?

Hassedic Jews from New York?

Cattlemen from Texas?

Red-skinned Indians from the plains states.

Hawaiian hula dancers?

Professors from Boston?

Mexican migrant landscapers in S. California.

Red-necks from Georgia?

Fishermen from down-east in Maine?

Wine snobs from Napa Valley (N. Calif.)

Farmers from Iowa?

Factory workers from Detroit?

Computer geeks from Silicon Valley?

Eskimos from Alsaka?

Cubanos from Miami?

Micro-brewery owners? (Actually there are thousands of them! All loud. True.)

How about Tiger Woods? He seems pretty loud. Nice swing, though.

My grandparents were Swedish immigrants to America. They talked softly, but laughed loudly. Does that count?

How many quiet Americans are there? They seem to be every where but they are stealthy b*stards. Sometimes they slurp their noodles. I hate that. Those are the Asian-Americans. There are 14 million of them.

Is it true all the males are all well-endowed and the females are blonde? And war mongers, too.

oh ...

I give Duke's 2 1/2 stars out of 4.

:D

Such passion, such energy, such nationalistic pride on this thread!

If I could bottle the energy on this thread, and channel it towards international understanding and acceptance of differences....Bingo.

World Peace, overnight. :)

You mean that the energy generated by a thread about pork ribs and ham/bacon pizzas could bring the Muslims to understand and accept my culture? :D

I'm all for world peace, I'll go back to The Duke's as soon as possible for a Chicago style pizza :D

There is one more thing I want to say...

I used to order my dinner through Meals on Weels. I stopped because of the quality delivered by the restaurants. One big exeption is the Dukes.

Every time I am surprised why, if you do not use their staff, plates, glasses, airco, chairs and whatever I can imagine, why these restaurants cannot pack their meals properly without mixing everything together in one box.

MoW is doing a great job, I cannot blame them. But.. Besides the Dukes it really is a mess.

What are your experiences?

Have not tried a Duke meal at all but my overall experience with Meals on Wheels has been excellent.

Nearly always, I'd rather they used less packaging, but they usually make a great effort to label the orders in English.

I'll go back to The Duke's as soon as possible for a Chicago style pizza :)

Chicago style?! They need to add another inch or two in thickness before you can call it Chicago style. :D

They call it "Chicago style". As far as I'm concerned I've never been to Chicago.

I have had the Duke's pizza on about 7 occasions.

My fav was an xtra lrg that I shared with a few friends.

Triple (yes triple) Gorgonzola, olives, onion, capers....and I recall mushroom. But we requested non-tinned and I think they came up with some fresh. Pizza was great.

But it is thin pizza dough, which I personally prefer. I like Chicago style pizza (BJ's Chicago Pizzeria deep cast-iron dish), but rarely eat it, as I don't find myself much in Chicago, anymore!

I like the Duke's steaks, salads, etc. Go there occasionally, maybe have a big Martini, surf and turf, Amurican ( :D ) kind of thing.

It's a great restaurant, for USA people to have a taste of their homeland (for Thailand anyways), just like myriad other places, like UN Irish for Brit pub food, or Roots Rock Reggae for late night dancing....

It's all good in the 'hood.

I patronize all kinds of restaurants here, and appreciate the diversity.

We are lucky to have what we have. It wasn't this way 35 yrs ago when I first visited here as a young backpacker. :)

Have to agree with the booming American voices thing. What is wrong with you that you have to bellow at someone sitting just a couple of feet away?

I've had meals ruined everywhere because I can't hear my fellow dinner guests because of some American sitting several tables away.

I was once asked by a Thai woman why Americans speak so loud, while another meal was being ruined, and I replied, "Because they come from a big country", but all joking aside, its incredibly rude and there should be a sign in restaurants ABOVE the No Smoking sign, telling Americans that if someone is sitting just two feet away you don't need to shout at them.

Many times while dining in restaurants I've heard Germans, Czechs, Italians, etc. be rude and shout or speak loudly, so that's rubbish that its an American only thing.

At no point do I say it ONLY an American thing.

Its just much, much more common with Americans.

I notice you don't deny that Americans are often too loud, just try to say that other nationalities are as bad.

I don't deny it because many Americans are indeed loud and boisterous.

Americans talking loudly while eating out??? I'm assuming they were probably drunk. I've seen nationalities from all across the globe be rude and loud when eating out, I don't think it's an American thing... I think its a drunk thing. This is speaking from experience... I've spent many years working in a popular NYC restaurant.. (My last day was yesterday because I'm moving to BKK - yay - )

Another thing, maybe the person cooking yesterday wasnt the same as the person who cooked when other people went. This can have an impact. Even tho some places try to be consistant, sometimes the person that makes it good isnt there that day.. Or they let someone make it that didnt actually know what they were doing. Maybe try them again on a different day...

I've noticed people who drink often become louder as they continue to drink. I once heard that alcohol consumption decreases ones ability to hear, but I have had no luck confirming that information on the web.

I've noticed people who drink often become louder as they continue to drink. I once heard that alcohol consumption decreases ones ability to hear, but I have had no luck confirming that information on the web.

Might be worth checking on the web whether, instead, alcohol consumption decreases one's confidence that those around one are paying proper and sufficient attention to the wisdom and insights with which one is blessing them.

There is one more thing I want to say...

I used to order my dinner through Meals on Weels. I stopped because of the quality delivered by the restaurants. One big exeption is the Dukes.

Every time I am surprised why, if you do not use their staff, plates, glasses, airco, chairs and whatever I can imagine, why these restaurants cannot pack their meals properly without mixing everything together in one box.

MoW is doing a great job, I cannot blame them. But.. Besides the Dukes it really is a mess.

What are your experiences?

probably requires a separate thread outside of the weekly TV free advertising slot for the duke's, but i've always found the packaging used by all the restaurants on the mealsonwheels roster to be absolutely excellent. have ordered from maybe fifteen different places on there and the packaging is always spot on, never mixed up, never leaks etc.

would suggest you feed back to michael at MoW if you have a problem with how particular places pack their food up.

Americans talking loudly while eating out??? I'm assuming they were probably drunk. I've seen nationalities from all across the globe be rude and loud when eating out, I don't think it's an American thing... I think its a drunk thing. This is speaking from experience... I've spent many years working in a popular NYC restaurant.. (My last day was yesterday because I'm moving to BKK - yay - )

Another thing, maybe the person cooking yesterday wasnt the same as the person who cooked when other people went. This can have an impact. Even tho some places try to be consistant, sometimes the person that makes it good isnt there that day.. Or they let someone make it that didnt actually know what they were doing. Maybe try them again on a different day...

True only if the accumulated depth of the alcohol consumed exceeds the measurement distance from the floor to the uppermost part on the listeners ear.

OP was prepared to be displeased before setting foot in the joint.

His experience was a foregone conclusion. The only thing missing from his review was a whinge about American football players wearing pads.

Edited by Texpat

I had pizza on my first visit to Duke's, with a quiet Italian-American. We ate outside - good pizza, not great by American or Chicago standards. Not cheap. Had filet mignon there next time - good, not great, not cheap. Ate there once more, with george, and will again, by george. But I never write home to my Chicago-born sisters about it.

Thai cooks are no excuse. Hire them and train and manage them.

This is an answer to my heart.

I tried the Dukes three times. (so what about giving them another chance) same with Tuskers. ALL three times the food was below standard and to answer the question if I complained? Yes I did.. Not even a Sorry!

I had restaurants all my life in Europe and one thing I learned is Never to sit back and think: They are coming anyway. For example the Michelin stars.. every year you have to deserve/earn them.

Another thing...

I used to order dinners through Meals on Wheels. The reason I do Not anymore is because the restaurants in general (with exemption from Dukes) simply mix everything together in one box. I mean.. when you do Not use their chairs, staff, glasses, plates, electricity and so on.. Is it really so difficult to pack the ordered meals properly? And this has nothing to do with MoW. They are doing a terrific good job!

Just a suggestion for all...

since pizza is Italian, why don't you try to eat one in an italian restaurant?

May i suggest you Pumpui restaurant? Is big pizza, the margherita is 150 baht if i recall well, and excellent taste.

And believe it or not...the staff speaks english!!

May i suggest you Pumpui restaurant? Is big pizza, the margherita is 150 baht if i recall well, and excellent taste.

And I suggest if anyone lives in this country, they should try to learn a little Thai so the language of staff won't matter. Then you can eat anywhere without fear of a special order gone wrong because of your lack of effort to learn the local language! :)

Edited by mnbcm

And I suggest if anyone lives in this country, they should try to learn a little Thai so the language of staff won't matter. Then you can eat anywhere without fear of a special order gone wrong because of your lack of effort to learn the local language! :)

I do speak some thai, and i go restaurant with my wife, which is thai too, so i never have problems. I wrote about the english speaking staff because is quite peculiar to find them speaking and even understanding english, and because many other people living in CM or elsewhere in Thailand have this problems at restaurant. Just wanted to help and suggest a real pizza.

it'll never catch on you know.

No, i don't know, what do you mean?

eating pizza in italian restaurants.

that said, the first pizzeria was american of course.

OP was prepared to be displeased before setting foot in the joint.

His experience was a foregone conclusion. The only thing missing from his review was a whinge about American football players wearing pads.

I have actually read PLAYING FOR PIZZA by John Grisham,

so feel quite comfortable with American Football padding.

David

I must admit that if I go to eat at Duke's I will try to use the smaller original place across the river rather than the night Bazaar restaurant. I find that the noise, from what ever nationality of guests, just seems to bounce off the hard reflective surfaces of thewindows/floors etc. and seems to get amplified. The is especially noticable when seated upstairs. There is a lack of soft furnishings to help absorb/dissapate the noise.

I also find that over at the original Dukes there are fewer small children around, most seem to get taken to Chan Klan. Whilst they are nice to look at occasionally they do have a habit, especailly when 4 or 5 are together, of being very noisy and after they have finished eating are usually allowed to run around the place shouting and knocking into chairs, waiting staff etc.,(have encountered this twice in Duke's on Chan Klan), whilst the adoring parents look on, smile and finish off their dinners.

I know this will ranckle some parents out there, don't get me wrong I'm not saying its all kids, but to those parents who sit there smiling while their offspring run riot, have a little thought for other diners, and try to maintain some form of control over your offspring.

Before the deluge of hate mail starts..........Yes I have children of my own, but I did manage to keep them under control, even when as babies in a restaurant, if they started to cry I would take them out of the restaurant, I certainly never let them run riot even with their little friends!!!!