Invited To Family Dinner

G54

While the post was a serious one for general information and also I am happy to see serious posts in helping to look at what to take on that first dinner meeting, I do appreciate the humour in what some have said.

Full marks G54 for displaying a sense of humour - I am sure that the mods really understood that you/others were happy to have a bit of banter.

I do know a thing or 2 about banter and humour

and hence Ive let all remarks stay.

Without humour in a forum you could go to the nut house very quickly indeed.

The same has to be said for living here too. It can be a frustrating experience at times and even now, with this woman being in hospital at the beginning of the week for 2 days and off work for four days the whole thing has now been delayed by at least a week because her boss will not give her time off for another week and she cannot get back to NS.

I get the feeling I am not supposed to meet with this mother. Maybe Buddha is watching over me :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have never thought of this before, but as I have been invited to dinner to 'meet the family' for the first time, is there anything I should take?

In the UK you would maybe take a bottle of wine or something similar. Are there any customs here to observe like that on that first dinner at the parents house?

I am painfully aware of what the meeting itself is for and how to behave, being a helicopter, I have done this several (several?? :) ) times before, so that is not part of the question.

Beer, Whiskey, and Money

Money. Whiskey. Beer. Your wallet.

Such original ideas :)

At least some people have been a bit more inventive. I would not have even got fruit or a plant or some of the other suggestions until I know the date for certain.

I still like the idea of taking a Buffalo, but it would not fit into the boot of the car.