Some Scam Under The Name Of Social Security

Nienke

Around 5 pm today I got twice a phone call from a Thai person (man's voice) asking for one of my staff members and he said something about a bank account number. Sure enough I didn't understood what he was talking about, but said that I didn't know anyone by that name, that he probably called the wrong number.

Called my staff member to tell her this and that she should call them/him herself. Turned out that the man called her as well and said he called from Social security. They needed her bank account number so they could deposit money

(that she paid to them too much) in her account. She called the social security who told her that this was some sort of scam and warned her not to give any details.

Called my accountant who told me that one of her customers had the same problem the day before.

How this man knew her and that she is working for me, I do not know.

The numbers he called me with are a bit strange: +074271801 and +8615920278514

Oh, she also told me that last Wednesday she tried 4 times to draw money from a Sansai ATM, but failed. The machines didn't give any money. The man knew about this. ?????

More info than this I do not have but please warn your staff. My staff member already went home to get her bank book and almost did give her account number. Thank goodness she finally didn't.

+86 is a Chinese number. Either it's a scam operated out of China or they have a way of routing their calls that way to make sure they are difficult to trace.

Personal VoIP boxes (which I believe are technically illegal in Thailand but were very popular back when the Internet was even worse than it is now) could do that for you.

This local scam was exposed in a Bangkok Post article I read about 6 months ago.

The obvious clue is....you never give any information like a bank account number to anyone calling on the phone, or in an email request.

Phishing.

I was a victim of a similar scam about 6 years ago, back when it was a new phenomenon; got a very official looking email with a PayPal logo, stating that my account would be blocked unless I could confirm certain pertinent data immediately.

I was in the middle of about 5 transactions on eBay; had money both coming in and going out, and was duped.

The moment I responded...I knew that something was not right.

I called PayPal the next morning (they're not 24/7) and they confirmed my worst fears.

It was all resolved and I never lost a penny, but it was a difficult and stressful lesson. :)

Around 5 pm today I got twice a phone call from a Thai person (man's voice) asking for one of my staff members and he said something about a bank account number. Sure enough I didn't understood what he was talking about, but said that I didn't know anyone by that name, that he probably called the wrong number.

Called my staff member to tell her this and that she should call them/him herself. Turned out that the man called her as well and said he called from Social security. They needed her bank account number so they could deposit money

(that she paid to them too much) in her account. She called the social security who told her that this was some sort of scam and warned her not to give any details.

Called my accountant who told me that one of her customers had the same problem the day before.

How this man knew her and that she is working for me, I do not know.

The numbers he called me with are a bit strange: +074271801 and +8615920278514

Oh, she also told me that last Wednesday she tried 4 times to draw money from a Sansai ATM, but failed. The machines didn't give any money. The man knew about this. ?????

More info than this I do not have but please warn your staff. My staff member already went home to get her bank book and almost did give her account number. Thank goodness she finally didn't.

Sorry, but there is no way that a scammer from out of the blue could discover this information.

Appears that this guy is someone the girl already knows.

Perhaps this guy and your female staff member are trying to scam you?

Sorry, but there is no way that a scammer from out of the blue could discover this information.Appears that this guy is someone the girl already knows.

Perhaps this guy and your female staff member are trying to scam you?

Sorry, But I disagree...

This is Thailand. When you make the monthly report to the Social Security office here,,,,,, all the above infor is availablle [not the bank account # ]

The paper trail from your desk to the accountants to the tax office is wide open for anyone to see. It could be anyone past your desk thru past the Govt office to pass on to a scammer for a fee....

I would never say impossible...

G