How To Have Residency In Tha But Work/employed In Another Asian Country?

Does someone have an answer to this?

I sincerely love Thailand, the land, its people, his Majesty the King - here are all my friends and this is where I feel home. However, there are several hurdles I can't seem to overcome for achieving legal residency here...

Situation

+ I am from a western European country. (therefore getting entry stamps [30 days] easily)

+ Having a rented apartment here in THA since 5 years already. (entry in the phone book, bank account, credit card, etc.)

+ Registered at the embassy and authorities of my origin as residing in Thailand since 3 years.

? I am working in China for a European company. (flying forth and back almost ever weekend and holiday)

- Couldn't find another work in THA so far other than [illegal] teaching. (tired, but I feel Thai students deserve better)

- Don't have the money for an investment. (flying that often is not really cheap)

- I can't marry a Thai woman. (i am gay and won't deny that)

Question

* Is there no official way to get a 1 year visa in such kind of situations?

I would simply like to have non-resident visas year-by-year, paying my taxes here and herewith fulfill the requirements to eventually apply for residency. :)

Your advise or help would be much appreciated. I've been trying to find a solution since long but was not successful so far.

Thanks!

It is very difficult to obtain residency without having employment and paying income tax here so the normal alternatives such as eduction extensions are not going to be of much help in your long term goals.

Other than forming a company or getting a job there is no way to get an extension of stay for a year. Even forming a company would mean waiting 2 years before you could get the extension under the current rules.

If you were over 50 and could get an extension based upon retirement but that won't lead to permanent residency.

Other than forming a company or getting a job there is no way to get an extension of stay for a year. Even forming a company would mean waiting 2 years before you could get the extension under the current rules.

If you were over 50 and could get an extension based upon retirement but that won't lead to permanent residency.

Oh, shoot. Is that new? Back in January when I got the retirement extension, immigration told me that in 3 years I could become a PR. Not that I could believe everything they tell me... :)

Are you sure an Immigration officer told you that? Where is the next question? But suspect only those directly involved with residency really know what is currently required. It is not new in principle as it has always been highly unlikely to be approved for anyone without active income/tax payments here.

edit from the glass half full side - if this is a new policy am sure there are many who would like to have further details - were you provided any further information.

Edited by lopburi3

Are you sure an Immigration officer told you that? Where is the next question? But suspect only those directly involved with residency really know what is currently required. It is not new in principle as it has always been highly unlikely to be approved for anyone without active income/tax payments here.

edit from the glass half full side - if this is a new policy am sure there are many who would like to have further details - were you provided any further information.

No, he just smiled and said welcome, in 3 years I see you for Permanent Residency. With having too much glass for the amount of liquid involved, it wouldn't surprise me now that it was just a "nice" thing for him to say. My wife was with me, and heard the same thing, but that doesn't make it true, does it.

Glad/sad I heard about it here now...one more thing on the "leave Thailand" side of the list.

No, he just smiled and said welcome, in 3 years I see you for Permanent Residency. With having too much glass for the amount of liquid involved, it wouldn't surprise me now that it was just a "nice" thing for him to say. My wife was with me, and heard the same thing, but that doesn't make it true, does it.

Glad/sad I heard about it here now...one more thing on the "leave Thailand" side of the list.

I am married to a Thai and at one time I thought I could get permanent residency. Now I am not even sure anymore because there is no clear defined set of rules for getting it.

One thing that was very clear was that you had to pay taxes for 3 years which can easily be done.

But they now say you need a work permit to go along with those tax payments.

I am married to a Thai and at one time I thought I could get permanent residency. Now I am not even sure anymore because there is no clear defined set of rules for getting it.

One thing that was very clear was that you had to pay taxes for 3 years which can easily be done.

But they now say you need a work permit to go along with those tax payments.

And since by definition, a retirement visa means you cannot get a work permit. So... that means you can't get PR based on a retirement extension. Ok, at least that's sorted. Thanks, UbonJoe

And since by definition, a retirement visa means you cannot get a work permit. So... that means you can't get PR based on a retirement extension. Ok, at least that's sorted. Thanks, UbonJoe

Even that is not so cut and dry. Some people do get Work Permits with a Retirement Extension.

The people that handle extension of stay are not the same people that accept PR applications, so it's very unlikely that those same people know any of the requirements for applying for pr. Working in Thailand for at least 3yrs is required just for them to accept your application.