For Colonic Irrigation Detox In Chiangmai, I Recommend:

Oneman

I would think that juice fasting would fall into the "We know it works, but we don't know why category". I do not think at there is a lot of doubt that it is healthful when done correctly. Research scientists admit that controlled starvation (few calories, but lots of nutrients) is the only way to prolong life.

Edited by Ulysses G.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those people remind me of the religious fundamentalist, I would call them "medical fundamentalist", they talk the same way.

Planet Earth is a few billion years old? nonsense, my holy book says that it was created in just 6 days and that was a few thousand years ago. Same way of talking and same level of intelligence. They follow the all knowing god of western medical science, the same one that said until recently that acupuncture didn't work, now they admit that it does work, the problem is, they also say that they don't have a clue about why it works...... hummm that tell me that they still have a few things to learn and discover, but try to tell those guys.

take it easy, carlo. no need to go hurling insults. but i understand. you must be cranky from a lack of food. i'll happily buy you a meal sometime if you like. mad dog has a great breakfast. mmmm.

seriously, though, you've got it backwards. people who toss their chips in with scientifically-supported theories are the opposite of fundamentalists. they don't trust their own "feelings" about things. that's what fundamentalists do. they think what they feel and experience is the final answer to any question.

experience is not king. it is your buddy, your pal, your muse or your irritating sibling, but it is certainly not the ideal arbiter of what is true and what is not. if it was, we'd still be thinking rain meant that god was crying.

people don't love their gods because of what it says in a book. they love their gods because it's nice to believe in them and they imagine that jesus et. al will fix all their problems. but just try telling a religious person that! they end up getting very insulted. same thing happens when you tell alternative therapy folks that the things they believe in probably don't work. bursts the bubble.

by the way, acupuncture doesn't work either.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2009/07/04...5c900016f7f.txt

i must admit, i have tried fasting and i think it's nice. it forces you to slow down a bit and spend the day on the couch watching movies.

I would think that juice fasting would fall into the "We know it works, but we don't know why category". I do not think at there is a lot of doubt that it is healthful when done correctly. Research scientists admit that controlled starvation (few calories, but lots of nutrients) is the only way to prolong life.

so far only in mice, though. and there are some serious reservations about it apparently that you don't hear much about, at least according to wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie_restriction

so far only in mice, though. and there are some serious reservations about it apparently that you don't hear much about, at least according to wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie_restriction

by the way UG, I didn't mean "that you don't hear much about" to mean you personally. i mean, that nobody hears much about. i also thought that calorie restriction might pose some promise in regards to longevity.

How about fish and dogs? This seems pretty positive to me. :)

Calorie restriction, or caloric restriction (CR), is a dietary regimen thought to improve health and slow the aging process in some animals and fungi by limiting dietary energy intake below the average needs, usually producing negative energy balance. CR is the only dietary intervention that has been documented to increase both the median and maximum lifespan in a variety of species, among them rodents, yeast, fishes and dogs. The life extension is varied, for mice and rats there is a 30-40% increase [1]. Even though there has been research on CR for over 70 years the mechanism by which CR works is still not well understood.[2][3] There are currently ongoing studies on primates to show if CR works on primates, and even though they are showing positive indications[2][4] it is still not certain if CR has a positive effect on longevity for primates and humans.[2][4] The effect of CR on IGF-1 serum levels seen in rodents has not been replicated in human trials.[5]

Recent research has been in favour of the hypothesis that CR works by decreasing insulin levels and thereby upregulating autophagy,[6] but CR affects many other health indicators and whether insulin is the main concern is still undecided.[1]

Calorie restriction is a common measure found in several dietary regimens, including the Okinawa diet [7] and the CRON-diet.

Effects on humans

Positive effects

In human subjects, CR has been shown to lower cholesterol, fasting glucose, and blood pressure. In CR, energy intake is minimized, but sufficient quantities of vitamins, minerals and other important nutrients must be eaten. Vitamins and minerals can be taken in pills, which contain no calories.

http://' target="_blank">

In summary: Science on one side, anecdotes and quacks on the other, both sides trying to make money.

Exactly. The holistic/alternative/complimentary treatment lobby is after big bucks just as much as the 'establishment,' the main difference being they have less empirical evidence to back their claims and usually charge more for the simplest of treatments. At least the establishment has the excuse of having to pay for extensive research and development. Meanwhile your average alternative proponent works on any fantasy they can convince the gullible to believe.

Empirical science gave us virtually every medical breakthrough in the last two centuries. There's a reason for that, ie empirical studies have far more predictive power (the likelihood that a treatment will achieve intended results) than personal anecdotes, personal experience, or word of mouth.

Edited by wayfarer108

Sorry amigo, but you don't have the slightest clue about how fasting and detoxing works because you talk from scientific theory, not from having done it

Yeah I stuck leeches on my forehead and my headache went away, therefore it obviously works.

Sorry amigo, but you don't have the slightest clue about how fasting and detoxing works because you talk from scientific theory, not from having done it

Yeah I stuck leeches on my forehead and my headache went away, therefore it obviously works.

Weren't bloodletting, the use of leeches, cupping etc. not highly promoted (and often fatal) treatments by the conventional medici in the early days? :)

In summary: Science on one side, anecdotes and quacks on the other, both sides trying to make money.

Exactly. The holistic/alternative/complimentary treatment lobby is after big bucks just as much as the 'establishment,' the main difference being they have less empirical evidence to back their claims and usually charge more for the simplest of treatments. At least the establishment has the excuse of having to pay for extensive research and development. Meanwhile your average alternative proponent works on any fantasy they can convince the gullible to believe.

Empirical science gave us virtually every medical breakthrough in the last two centuries. There's a reason for that, ie empirical studies have far more predictive power (the likelihood that a treatment will achieve intended results) than personal anecdotes, personal experience, or word of mouth.

Do you mean cures for chronic diseases such as arthritis, multiple sclerosis, cancer, etc? Do they have cures for that or is it palliation and suppression of the disease?

And do you mean that personal anecdotes and experiences, or word of mouth do not occur in the conventional medical world?

Those people remind me of the religious fundamentalist, I would call them "medical fundamentalist", they talk the same way.

Planet Earth is a few billion years old? nonsense, my holy book says that it was created in just 6 days and that was a few thousand years ago. Same way of talking and same level of intelligence. They follow the all knowing god of western medical science, the same one that said until recently that acupuncture didn't work, now they admit that it does work, the problem is, they also say that they don't have a clue about why it works...... hummm that tell me that they still have a few things to learn and discover, but try to tell those guys.

take it easy, carlo. no need to go hurling insults. but i understand. you must be cranky from a lack of food. i'll happily buy you a meal sometime if you like. mad dog has a great breakfast. mmmm.

seriously, though, you've got it backwards. people who toss their chips in with scientifically-supported theories are the opposite of fundamentalists. they don't trust their own "feelings" about things. that's what fundamentalists do. they think what they feel and experience is the final answer to any question.

experience is not king. it is your buddy, your pal, your muse or your irritating sibling, but it is certainly not the ideal arbiter of what is true and what is not. if it was, we'd still be thinking rain meant that god was crying.

people don't love their gods because of what it says in a book. they love their gods because it's nice to believe in them and they imagine that jesus et. al will fix all their problems. but just try telling a religious person that! they end up getting very insulted. same thing happens when you tell alternative therapy folks that the things they believe in probably don't work. bursts the bubble.

i must admit, i have tried fasting and i think it's nice. it forces you to slow down a bit and spend the day on the couch watching movies.

Here is a link that says that acupuncture works:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/149708.php

Also: "A poll of American doctors in 2005 showed that 59% believe acupuncture was at least somewhat effective.[111] In 1996, the United States Food and Drug Administration changed the status of acupuncture needles from Class III to Class II medical devices, meaning that needles are regarded as safe and effective when used appropriately by licensed practitioners.[112][113]. In addition, nearly 50% of U.S. health care plans now cover acupuncture, showing increased acceptance of acupuncture as a viable treatment."

By the way, acupuncture works particularly well to fix impotence, I do know someone that fixed his problem that way; try to tell him that it doesn't work!

Scientifically-supported theories are fine, but there are also many ways to scientifically point things in the direction that you want and dismiss what you don't want to promote, case in point would be all the research studies, trials, etc that are funded by parties that have an interest in getting results that will benefit or promote their products like often happens when manufactures do trials of their chemical products, pesticides, etc, etc, and they usually end up showing that those products are harmless, DDT used to be safe, remember? My point anyway, is to follow something not because of faith or belief (whether scientific or non scientific belief), but because you've done it, you can demonstrate the results and you can repeat those results over and over, isn't that how scientific facts are actually established?

After my first fast, cholesterol levels dropped from 180 to 130, triglycerides and other fats also dropped big time, etc, etc, felt great, fasting works for me like clockwork, time and time again, so it does bother me when someone says that it doesn't work and try to reinterpret my experiences. Those experiences that I have are practical facts, not beliefs or theories. I've know many others with similar experiences. Again, as I said before, fasting or colonics or other alternative practices will work for some people and will not work for others, and they also need to be done properly and under the right circumstances same as most procedures. There are many ways of doing fasting, some people know what they are doing, some don't. I think the point here should be to respect the experiences of others and not try to ridicule them, everybody should be able to offer their input and experience in a respectful way and then everybody can benefit from the discussion. Didn't mean to insult anybody, but like I said, ridiculing my experiences does bother me. Cheers.

Here is a link that says that acupuncture works:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/149708.php

Also: "A poll of American doctors in 2005 showed that 59% believe acupuncture was at least somewhat effective.[111] In 1996, the United States Food and Drug Administration changed the status of acupuncture needles from Class III to Class II medical devices, meaning that needles are regarded as safe and effective when used appropriately by licensed practitioners.[112][113]. In addition, nearly 50% of U.S. health care plans now cover acupuncture, showing increased acceptance of acupuncture as a viable treatment."

By the way, acupuncture works particularly well to fix impotence, I do know someone that fixed his problem that way; try to tell him that it doesn't work!

Scientifically-supported theories are fine, but there are also many ways to scientifically point things in the direction that you want and dismiss what you don't want to promote, case in point would be all the research studies, trials, etc that are funded by parties that have an interest in getting results that will benefit or promote their products like often happens when manufactures do trials of their chemical products, pesticides, etc, etc, and they usually end up showing that those products are harmless, DDT used to be safe, remember? My point anyway, is to follow something not because of faith or belief (whether scientific or non scientific belief), but because you've done it, you can demonstrate the results and you can repeat those results over and over, isn't that how scientific facts are actually established?

After my first fast, cholesterol levels dropped from 180 to 130, triglycerides and other fats also dropped big time, etc, etc, felt great, fasting works for me like clockwork, time and time again, so it does bother me when someone says that it doesn't work and try to reinterpret my experiences. Those experiences that I have are practical facts, not beliefs or theories. I've know many others with similar experiences. Again, as I said before, fasting or colonics or other alternative practices will work for some people and will not work for others, and they also need to be done properly and under the right circumstances same as most procedures. There are many ways of doing fasting, some people know what they are doing, some don't. I think the point here should be to respect the experiences of others and not try to ridicule them, everybody should be able to offer their input and experience in a respectful way and then everybody can benefit from the discussion. Didn't mean to insult anybody, but like I said, ridiculing my experiences does bother me. Cheers.

Why is it that when the alternative folks criticize the establishment it's ok, but when the establishment criticizes the alternative folks, they start throwing patchouli and getting all huffy? you make one joke about a faster having a headache because he's not eating enough (not because of toxins) and suddenly you're mussolini. on a related subject, why do the alternative folks have such a poor sense of humor?

carlo, we're all welcome to reinterpret your experiences and say that what you're promoting is true or not true. this is a forum. in a forum you have discussions. and in discussions people will disagree with the idea that what you're experiencing are "facts". i don't think you've been ridiculed here - maybe joked around with a bit, but hardly ridiculed.

Hummm, if I go back and read, some of them don't quite feel like humor to me, but anyway, lets say that the dust has settled.

Both the establishment and the alternative folks criticize, but the alternative side it's usually the underdog and it seems to me that its usually the one at the receiving end for the most part and it has become quite OK to criticize or dismiss anything that runs counter to the prevailing mainstream line of thought. Anyway, peace prevails :)

I think the "alternative" side gets so much criticism and ridicule because it is such a "big tent" and includes anything and everything from the possibly effective (some herbs, massage, etc.) to the obviously wacky, goofy and debunked "modalities" such as reiki, homeopathy, energy work, pyramid power, Bachs flower rescues and on and on..... these "modalities" are based purely on faith and as such are subjected to ridicule when exposed to scientific scrutiny.

Hummm, if I go back and read, some of them don't quite feel like humor to me, but anyway, lets say that the dust has settled.

Both the establishment and the alternative folks criticize, but the alternative side it's usually the underdog and it seems to me that its usually the one at the receiving end for the most part and it has become quite OK to criticize or dismiss anything that runs counter to the prevailing mainstream line of thought. Anyway, peace prevails :)

I guess it depends on what social circles you travel in, but in Chiang Mai I'm always the "underdog" when it comes to these things. And when I go home to Los Angeles it's not much better. Most people I know tend to favor the alternative view. Die hard skeptics/rationalists in Chiang Mai are thin on the ground. Carlos, I think you're probably in good company here.

I think the "alternative" side gets so much criticism and ridicule because it is such a "big tent" and includes anything and everything from the possibly effective (some herbs, massage, etc.) to the obviously wacky, goofy and debunked "modalities" such as reiki, homeopathy, energy work, pyramid power, Bachs flower rescues and on and on..... these "modalities" are based purely on faith and as such are subjected to ridicule when exposed to scientific scrutiny.

Very true, good point.

I guess it depends on what social circles you travel in, but in Chiang Mai I'm always the "underdog" when it comes to these things. And when I go home to Los Angeles it's not much better. Most people I know tend to favor the alternative view. Die hard skeptics/rationalists in Chiang Mai are thin on the ground. Carlos, I think you're probably in good company here.

Now you make me feel better.

Weren't bloodletting, the use of leeches, cupping etc. not highly promoted (and often fatal) treatments by the conventional medici in the early days? :)

That's the whole point, conventional medicine used to be dominated by folk tales, myth, untested theories, personal anecdotes, charlatanism, before the age of reason came along, and the scientific method and empirical inquiry developed.

It's not that the latter are automatically better than 'faith' healing (of which I would include CI, since it so far fails scientific standards for reliability and validity, and is thus practiced on faith), it is that for most disciplines, including medical praxis, theories that have been validated through empirical testing have predictive power on their side.

It's not that the the scientific method is inherently *better* than any other way of thinking, that's a value judgment. But it is inherently more predictive than any other alternative. No holistic, natural, complementary or alternative form of thinking could have created the computer you are using to make your posts here, for example :D

If CI really accomplishes what it's hawkers claim it accomplishes ('detoxification'), why hasn't anyone published a study verifying how people who undergo the treatment are somehow better off than those who don't. Or a study that demonstrates that auto-toxification via the undiseased large bowel occurs, or that indeed auto-toxification is a valid theory at all. Until someone does, the theory and practice of CI lacks predictive power, relative to the data that suggest that the normal undiseased colon eliminates all that needs eliminating on its own.

One question I'd like to pose to the CI fetishists (to me it does seem more like a fetish than a real need, on the part of the consumer), is what about the small intestine, which has far more surface area than the large intestine? Isn't it caked in 'plaque' as well, and if so isn't the cleaning of the large colon an incomplete treatment of the GI tract at best? What about the stomach?

Ollylama, I agree about the lack of humor among the alties. As a friend of mine likes to say, 'The best defence against New Age brainwashing is a sense of humor.' :D

That's the whole point, conventional medicine used to be dominated by folk tales, myth, untested theories, personal anecdotes, charlatanism, before the age of reason came along, and the scientific method and empirical inquiry developed.

It's not that the latter are automatically better than 'faith' healing (of which I would include CI, since it so far fails scientific standards for reliability and validity, and is thus practiced on faith), it is that for most disciplines, including medical praxis, theories that have been validated through empirical testing have predictive power on their side.

It's not that the the scientific method is inherently *better* than any other way of thinking, that's a value judgment. But it is inherently more predictive than any other alternative. No holistic, natural, complementary or alternative form of thinking could have created the computer you are using to make your posts here, for example :D

If CI really accomplishes what it's hawkers claim it accomplishes ('detoxification'), why hasn't anyone published a study verifying how people who undergo the treatment are somehow better off than those who don't. Or a study that demonstrates that auto-toxification via the undiseased large bowel occurs, or that indeed auto-toxification is a valid theory at all. Until someone does, the theory and practice of CI lacks predictive power, relative to the data that suggest that the normal undiseased colon eliminates all that needs eliminating on its own.

One question I'd like to pose to the CI fetishists (to me it does seem more like a fetish than a real need, on the part of the consumer), is what about the small intestine, which has far more surface area than the large intestine? Isn't it caked in 'plaque' as well, and if so isn't the cleaning of the large colon an incomplete treatment of the GI tract at best? What about the stomach?

Ollylama, I agree about the lack of humor among the alties. As a friend of mine likes to say, 'The best defence against New Age brainwashing is a sense of humor.' :D

Give it up Wayfarer, you're casting pearls before swine.

The answer to your colon questions, and...it has got the advantage that you can combine it with the fat and cholesterol laden food which would be a lot better to stop eating in the first place.

But since we prefer to wash away our guilt with an enema afterwards, this could be the solution to combine the not healthy food habits with an instant cleansing.. Enjoy! :)

... snip ... Give it up Wayfarer, you're casting pearls before swine. ... snip ...

Sawasdee Oink, Khun Kimincim,

The use of the phrase "casting pearls before swine" as a pejorative was engineered by bovine and ovine supremacists in collusion with the sheep-herders and cattle-men in the early 1900's. They paid good money (just as the DeBeers group paid good money to create the whole idea that diamonds are appropriate for engagement and wedding rings by worldwide propaganda) to insert countless references in newspapers (and later radio, and later movies, and then television) to have this phrase used only as a put-down.

In fact pearls are to swine exactly as a deep colonic irrigation is to Khun UG, a panacea, a cure-all. And it is a well-kept secret, now passed from swineherd fathers to swineheard sons (and now swineherd daughters) now that the that the winners of Guiness record-breaking pigs tend to be from the same families every year. You can bet they have cast pearls before their swine, and the swine have been them on flies.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

i wasn't able to read this entire thread, tho it did get pretty interesting!

and i'm going to refrain from my usual debate mode to simply state that for those who decide to take this route, the two girls at the Ayurveda center (Taan and Oil-- I'm not kidding) are extremely good at what they do! way better than any colonic i've had in the states (all three of them ;-)

One of these girls has the day off on Sun and the other on Mon, so i suggest going any other day because they really work well together!

very caring, nurturing, sensitive and competent!

Noi is also awesome for any kind of massage and Moss, at the front desk, is a total sweetheart! I LOVE this place!

i wasn't able to read this entire thread, tho it did get pretty interesting!

and i'm going to refrain from my usual debate mode to simply state that for those who decide to take this route, the two girls at the Ayurveda center (Taan and Oil-- I'm not kidding) are extremely good at what they do! way better than any colonic i've had in the states (all three of them ;-)

One of these girls has the day off on Sun and the other on Mon, so i suggest going any other day because they really work well together!

very caring, nurturing, sensitive and competent!

Noi is also awesome for any kind of massage and Moss, at the front desk, is a total sweetheart! I LOVE this place!

Does it strike anyone else that this guy is a just a little bit kinky?!

But then, this thread has been a fascinating (?) insight into the human condition! Any coloscopies on YouTube yet?

The usual obsession on TV Chiang Mai is with what is ingested (restaurant discussions beyond useful reviews ad nauseum) as opposed to discussions of what eventually comes out the other end, as it must. How do the IT people phrase it? GIGO! "Garbage in; garbage out." But that's not fair! Many restaurants in Chiang Mai are really wonderful! Never mind the cholesterol or whatever!

So, visit your favorite CM restaurants often! Enjoy! But take your favorite statin medication and exercise well! Later, if sticking a hose up your butt from time to time makes you feel --- well --- better, go for it! Kinda kinky, but if that's where it's at for you, enjoy!

Otherwise, I have greatly appreciated (?) the remarkably footnoted posts that occasionally has graced this thread!

There is nothing at all erotic about a colonic. It feels much more like some kind of painless medical therapy. The only feeling that one has is when the colon is full and then feels the strong urge to defocate.

IMHO, anyone who equates taking a dump with sex has their own personal issues that need to be resolved. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

-That is for sure! :)

No this is for sure,I just don't understand how we got on without this anally invasive treatment for tens of thousands of years,but I guess up the <deleted> shute has to be good for you,so many people here believe and enjoy this kind of treatment.Personally I shy at the thought of something up my freckle.But this is Thailand. :D

Well 10,000 years ago our diet was VERY different. Natural and not processed. So no need.

see www.paleodiet.com

I wanted to have one for some time as many friends told me how good it was. I did and it was fine. A bit of discomfort at times but got through it. I only did it once so not sure if that is enough. But the half day of massage, sauna and relaxation was very nice. I went to one in Bangkok. It was very clean and well done. I know some people do it regularly every 6 months and they seem to think it does them good. So can't be bad if it makes them happy and they believe it is helping their health. As for me, I may go again but it is not something I race to do. But I would certainly not put anyone off having it done. Each to their own and try and see. A good thread as it is becoming very popular. I researched on net alot and there were two schools of thought. Some thought it was nonsense others raved about it. So make your own choices.

Edited by Gold2005

-That is for sure! :)

No this is for sure,I just don't understand how we got on without this anally invasive treatment for tens of thousands of years,but I guess up the <deleted> shute has to be good for you,so many people here believe and enjoy this kind of treatment.Personally I shy at the thought of something up my freckle.But this is Thailand. :D

Well 10,000 years ago our diet was VERY different. Natural and not processed. So no need.

see www.paleodiet.com

Unnatural remedies for unnatural eating habits and unnatural food.

I wanted to have one for some time as many friends told me how good it was. I did and it was fine. A bit of discomfort at times but got through it. I only did it once so not sure if that is enough. But the half day of massage, sauna and relaxation was very nice. I went to one in Bangkok. It was very clean and well done. I know some people do it regularly every 6 months and they seem to think it does them good. So can't be bad if it makes them happy and they believe it is helping their health. As for me, I may go again but it is not something I race to do. But I would certainly not put anyone off having it done. Each to their own and try and see. A good thread as it is becoming very popular. I researched on net alot and there were two schools of thought. Some thought it was nonsense others raved about it. So make your own choices.

Unusual words of wisdom for this thread. :)