Sonia Sotomayor Lives In Greenwich Village!

The likely new US supreme court justice Sonia Sotomayor lives in Greenwich Village. Come on, people, you just know that has got to mean she is gay friendly. She is also a long time single, childless woman so she can relate to most of us that way, as we can't get legally married.

Now we have a law suit coming up probably going to the supreme court that challenges the constitutionality of denying gay people equal marriage rights under the law. This all seems to be happening sooner than we could have hoped for, legal gay marriage at a FEDERAL LEVEL, is now within sight. It will probably still take years, but it is looking better and better. Also consider Obama will probably have two terms and some more picks, swinging the court leftwards.

Anyway, Thai related? YES! With this potential change US gay people in Thailand can meet a barboy in a beer bar, marry him, and take him back to Oshkosh (also the lesbian equivalent), just like a straight man! Ah, bliss, or perhaps be careful what you wish for?

Edited by Jingthing

The likely new US supreme court justice Sonia Sotomayor lives in Greenwich Village. Come on, people, you just know that has got to mean she is gay friendly. She is also a long time single, childless woman so she can relate to most of us that way, as we can't get legally married.

Now we have a law suit coming up probably going to the supreme court that challenges the constitutionality of denying gay people equal marriage rights under the law. This all seems to be happening sooner than we could have hoped for, legal gay marriage at a FEDERAL LEVEL, is now within sight. It will probably still take years, but it is looking better and better. Also consider Obama will probably have two terms and some more picks, swinging the court leftwards.

Anyway, Thai related? YES! With this potential change US gay people in Thailand can meet a barboy in a beer bar, marry him, and take him back to Oshkosh (also the lesbian equivalent), just like a straight man! Ah, bliss, or perhaps be careful what you wish for?

A barboy? hmmmm one trained to make money in the "trade". right! LTR material...

AND I have the personal experience of having been married (to a woman), then divorced, then having to pay the ex for over 10 years, until she had drained every dime I had... and THEN she was able to finally marry the next door neighbor she'd been living with, since the day we separated...!!!

Yeah, I want a repeat of THAT, like I want a perforated prostate. :)

A barboy? hmmmm one trained to make money in the "trade". right! LTR material...

Sure, why not? Equal rights to screw up our lives just like everyone else. Now that's freedom!

perforated prostate

I never heard of that malady. Velly interesting.

Edited by Jingthing

The vote that banned gay marriage was upheld by the California Supreme Court. Don't put your hopes on one person and hope she is a one-issue judge, as in, civil rights. Remeber, was she picked because she was qaulified or because of her race or gender. You want the best qaulity in the Supreme Court and hope they follow the law and can fairly judicate legal matters. Gay marriage ban has and won't ever reach the supreme court because they won't touch one that has been already judicated, and by a large margin (6-1?) by the state supreme court. The U.S. supreme court cannot bring up issues on their own, it has to come to them. So it is very unlikely that she will ever get a chance to vote on it.

Some of us have more passion about civil rights than you ...

I never said she is a one issue judge. I said she lives in Greenwich Village and almost definitely knows a lot of gay people. It is hard to imagine such a person voting to suppress our equal civil rights. The personal is political, get with the program.

This case is coming, yes, it is probably too early.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090528/us_nm/...alifornia_court

Sotomayer will be judging on a federal gay marriage rights SOMEDAY, I would bet the house on it. And I bet she votes for our equal civil rights.

Edited by Jingthing

And this has precisely what to do with Thailand?

With this potential change US gay people in Thailand can meet a barboy in a beer bar, marry him, and take him back to Oshkosh (also the lesbian equivalent), just like a straight man! Ah, bliss, or perhaps be careful what you wish for?

The struggle to allow gays to experience the financial and emotional joys of divorce will proceed rather slowly, I think. You can bet there are loads of lawyers lobbying for gay marriage. Call me old fashioned, but I still prefer the advantages of the good old fashioned boyfriend-boyfriend thang.

The struggle to allow gays to experience the financial and emotional joys of divorce will proceed rather slowly, I think. You can bet there are loads of lawyers lobbying for gay marriage. Call me old fashioned, but I still prefer the advantages of the good old fashioned boyfriend-boyfriend thang.

Not to worry, I hear its going to be OPTIONAL. I also don't think I would ever do it at my age, but I would have when I was younger.

And I am the opposite Jingthing. I certainly wouldn't have considered when I was younger, but I might now! I have never been a proponent of gay marriage (at least at a personal level), but I am for equal rights and opportunities and the right for people to chose. As I get older, I realize that one day I won't be here and that the person I've spent the last 20 years with is entitled to exactly nothing--nada.

Simply drawing up a will isn't quite as simple as it sounds, since this involves two different countries. It also gets a little more complicated because I have inherited property, which is jointly owned in a somewhat unhappy dispute that could drag on and certainly would be a complicated affair for a foreign citizen. Much of this would be made easier by the clearer laws of marriage.

Sotomayor seems like a good person and the kind of person that would make a good judge--knowlegeable, articulate and in touch with the people.

With such liberals and progressives as Dick Cheney coming out in favor of gay marriage it kind of takes the luster off the prize.

Poppycock! Or should I say Papicock?

I am for equal rights and opportunities and the right for people to chose.

And what fair minded person isn't? This is why it is only a matter of time until we win this fight. In principle it is the same fight as when interracial marriage rights were not protected, and now they are, and the opponents of that equality are now correctly seen as ignorant nasty minded bigots.

Edited by Jingthing

Dick Cheney did come out in favor of gay marriage yesterday. His daughter is lesbian.

No he did not do anything of the kind. He also did nothing when he was in power to stop anti-gay policies, such as Bush's support of a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. He never used the word marriage. He said it is up to the states, and he stated he is clearly against this being granted at the FEDERAL level. The federal level is the ONLY meaningful level. That is the goal. That is where the real civil rights come into play, such as IMMIGRATION rights and also taxation policy. This state of being second class citizens will not stand, it is not if, but when.

BTW, Obama is not honoring his promises to us. How patient should we be? I guess very patient as we aren't likely to do better than him ...

Edited by Jingthing

I've always thought it's the straights that are the second class citizens oppressed by the bonds of marriage and penalized by the pain of divorce. Who wants to jump on that ship?

People want the choice. Gay marriage will not be required. One class of person that will obviously want that choice are Americans in love with foreign nationals. I have two good friends who were married in California (two different couples) before the recent ruling and their marriages stand, so I am happy for them if that is what they want. Another point about the hysterical people opposing gay marriage. I think it is clear that MOST gay people will not marry anyway, even when it is legal. Its not going to be that many people doing it and in no way is it a threat to heterosexual couples, who have their own problems they need to solve themselves without scapegoating gay people.

Edited by Jingthing