Motorbike On The Train

Khun Jean

I was quoted 650 baht to transport my Wave from Hat Yai to Surat Thani once. Then again, if you're going to be riding around a lot, it'll be worth it, especially as you won't have to endure pain-in-th-ass touts and sawngthaew drivers at destinations.

One fee to be aware of... the 'Kaa Yoke'....Lifting fee... It depends on the station, and the folks there. Usually negotiable, but can seem a lot sometimes.. In Bkk, some years ago, the typical fee was 100 baht to load up and secure your bike, or to off-load. Separate fee for on/off.

650 baht for a Wave from Hat Yai to Surat sounds like a pure ripoff to me. You should be paying per kilo freight prices only. From Chiang Mai to Bkk was 2.5 baht per kilo 3 years ago. I remember paying 550 baht from Hat Yai to Bkk for my 750cc monster in 1999, plus 200 baht in on/off fees.

One fee to be aware of... the 'Kaa Yoke'....Lifting fee... It depends on the station, and the folks there. Usually negotiable, but can seem a lot sometimes.. In Bkk, some years ago, the typical fee was 100 baht to load up and secure your bike, or to off-load. Separate fee for on/off.

650 baht for a Wave from Hat Yai to Surat sounds like a pure ripoff to me. You should be paying per kilo freight prices only. From Chiang Mai to Bkk was 2.5 baht per kilo 3 years ago. I remember paying 550 baht from Hat Yai to Bkk for my 750cc monster in 1999, plus 200 baht in on/off fees.

That's what the man said, and that's why I didn't do it. Booking clerk in the railway office and my wife was in there enquiring. I reckon he was quoting the Bangkok price myself but said it would be the same for Surat. Friend of mine moved house from Songkhla (revised [jr]: via train from Hat Yai) to Bangkok and he was paying 7 baht per kilo on all his gear.

Edited by jackr

I asked prices for cargo myself last year. It was 4 baht per kilo.

No idea what my motorbike weighs. I thought there were some restrictions because of the fuel tank. But as it seems they not really care about it.

I considered renting a bike but bringing my own gives me the certainty i have a good one with good brakes, tires etc.. Saves a lot of hassles.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by Khun Jean

I asked prices for cargo myself last year. It was 4 baht per kilo.

No idea what my motorbike weighs. I thought there were some restrictions because of the fuel tank. But as it seems they not really care about it.

I considered renting a bike but bringing my own gives me the certainty i have a good one with good brakes, tires etc.. Saves a lot of hassles.

Thanks for the info.

Jean, yes, you're right. There's no concern for gas tanks or batteries... Just make sure you bring your own tie-downs, it'll likely save some hassle or extra expense

Oh, and a Wave weighs just under 100 kilos. A Thai 125cc is about 135 kilos, a 250cc about 150 kilos...