Central May Be About To Collapse

Phil Conners

There's cracks on my bedroom wall, so I think I'll sleep outside from now on. :D

cracks in bedrooms are quite normal. most of the time a crack is found if one searches... even in the dark :D

i do hope the Missus does not read this thread! :)

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tropo

Yes there are elevators on the left hand side and there is the glass elevator in the middle..under the hotel tower

I still maintain that the hotel is being built over the shopping mall even though you are correct that the parking lot is on the right hand side and not on the left as I previously stated.

Tropo

Yes there are elevators on the left hand side and there is the glass elevator in the middle..under the hotel tower

I still maintain that the hotel is being built over the shopping mall even though you are correct that the parking lot is on the right hand side and not on the left as I previously stated.

The elevators on the left hand side are actually right in the middle of the front of the shopping mall and the only elevators at the front of the buildng, that is why I said your photo was deceptive - because they look to be at the extreme left of the mall. The area directly under the hotel is an area of escalators which take you all he way to the top (from the street).

In this photo which is a crop from yours I show the glass elevators.

post-34982-1261887812_thumb.jpg

The situation where the lower part of a building (the mall) is open to the public while the upper part (the hotel) is still under construction is unusual, though not a cause for concern. Normally the public don't get anywhere near a building until it's finished

Reinforced concrete structures are surprisingly flexible when they are first put up. It's only when the block infill walls are constructed that they get their full stiffness. It's quite possible that vibrations could be felt on the mall levels at this stage, but this should disappear when the hotel structure above is complete.

If you look through the windows at the top of the shopping mall you will see blue sky. Why? Because the hotel is being constructed above the car park, not the shopping mall.

Didn't say it was directly above the mall, but the hotel section is certainly at a higher level than the mall. Since the structure is contiguous, vibrations arising in one part will be felt throughout.

Incidentally, although I don't know about specific practices on the Central Festival site, I've seen columns on other sites in Pattaya both sprayed with water and wrapped in polythene to keep in the moisture, which is exactly what's needed in a hot climate. All very commendable!

Was going to reply to above,changed my mind,now as I started it I might as well continue......Yes I have seen columns cast in situ,lots of 'em, now spraying with water I contend never happens,'cept maybe to remove dust and the wrapping in polythene,well I guess,stays wrapped for all of one hour.

Anyway fed up with this thread if it falls down or stays up not really bothered,but I sure will not spend any length of time in that building

At great personal risk :D and without lunch !!

I ventured to the Central mall today

and can now show photographic evidence that the hotel is being built above the mall....

allbeit slightly over to the right hand side. ( as viewed from the beach )

Photo 1

post-2109-1261898407_thumb.jpg

The blue arrow points to where I could have sworn there where elevators when the place first opened

obviously I was drunk.

The red arrow points to some escalators..notice above these escalators is the hotel in progress.

Photo 2

post-2109-1261898612_thumb.jpg

close up of the escalators if you go up you get to level 4.

Photo 3

post-2109-1261898748_thumb.jpg

Tada.... we're in the mall..yes off to the right a bit but not in the car park.

Photo 4

post-2109-1261899096_thumb.jpg

Wider view.

Photo 5

post-2109-1261899174_thumb.jpg

The yellow arrow shows the car park " block" to the right of the hotel.

Photo 6

post-2109-1261899255_thumb.jpg

The blue arrows show the "skylights"

notice there is a swimming pool shown in the model, wonder if that has been built.

Yes I had nothing else to do today :):D

Tropo

The elevators on the left hand side are actually right in the middle of the front of the shopping mall and the only elevators at the front of the buildng, that is why I said your photo was deceptive - because they look to be at the extreme left of the mall. The area directly under the hotel is an area of escalators which take you all he way to the top (from the street).

In this photo which is a crop from yours I show the glass elevators.

post-34982-1261887812_thumb.jpg

External facade of car park areas will be clad with materials that will allow natural ventilation and light through.

Facades of the shopping mall are usually clad with glass as it is an air-con environment, and especially at the main frontage.

[..] and they took twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles

and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each

one was to be used as evidence against us.

:)

From Alice's Restaurant

Edited by Phil Conners

Well I'm still paranoid and I won't go in it, regardless of what anyone calls me.

When you've been around in third world countries as long as I have, you develop a third sense about these things, otherwise you don't survive.

How many building collapses has your third sense (?) saved you from in Thailand?

How about the hotel collapse in Korat. Has everyone forgotten about that ?

[..] and they took twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles

:D

From Alice's Restaurant

...now you see what you started :)

From Alice's Restaurant

...now you see what you started :)

they may thinks it's a movement...

The situation where the lower part of a building (the mall) is open to the public while the upper part (the hotel) is still under construction is unusual, though not a cause for concern. Normally the public don't get anywhere near a building until it's finished

Reinforced concrete structures are surprisingly flexible when they are first put up. It's only when the block infill walls are constructed that they get their full stiffness. It's quite possible that vibrations could be felt on the mall levels at this stage, but this should disappear when the hotel structure above is complete.

If you look through the windows at the top of the shopping mall you will see blue sky. Why? Because the hotel is being constructed above the car park, not the shopping mall.

Oh darn, you're no know fun. Don't confuse people. Central to collapse? Could it be these posters who got their engineering degress from Wikipedia University might be wrong?

wasn't the reinforcement done in the car park?

Yes it was, and the excuse back then was that the hotel is not being built over the car park but over the shopping mall!!

Well I'm still paranoid and I won't go in it, regardless of what anyone calls me.

When you've been around in third world countries as long as I have, you develop a third sense about these things, otherwise you don't survive.

How many building collapses has your third sense (?) saved you from in Thailand?

How about the hotel collapse in Korat. Has everyone forgotten about that ?

No, we've been reminded of that (or told for the fist time) early in this thread.

So what? How many brand new shopping malls have collapsed in Thailand...or even around the world.

Yes it was, and the excuse back then was that the hotel is not being built over the car park but over the shopping mall!!

You've got it around the wrong way. You even highlighted the relevant quote and still go it wrong. The statement was made in order to give a people a bit of courage to enter the shopping mall, not as an excuse for anything.

As someone once said. (maybe)

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

who was that guy was he australian ?

What are you on about Mr Pig? Where do you come from?

Please get it right (for once). The statement as you have quoted here is Mark Twain's. the original statement is British in origin.

I would bet that in general Australians are bigger risk takers and more adventurous than the British and Americans. I seriously doubt one Australian is afraid to shop at Central despite all the nonsense being tendered in this thread.

As someone once said. (maybe)

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

who was that guy was he australian ?

What are you on about Mr Pig? Where do you come from?

Please get it right (for once). The statement as you have quoted here is Mark Twain's. the original statement is British in origin.

I would bet that in general Australians are bigger risk takers and more adventurous than the British and Americans. I seriously doubt one Australian is afraid to shop at Central despite all the nonsense being tendered in this thread.

Shakespeare according to my old maths teacher.

You've got it around the wrong way. You even highlighted the relevant quote and still go it wrong. The statement was made in order to give a people a bit of courage to enter the shopping mall, not as an excuse for anything.

I was referring to this post.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2788858

since we're already discussing literature....shall we move on to Kant's transcendentalism and question whether the Central Mall is just figment of our imagination or close this topic for good until new facts come to surface?

since we're already discussing literature....shall we move on to Kant's transcendentalism and question whether the Central Mall is just figment of our imagination or close this topic for good until new facts come to surface?

I've always thought of this thread as a joke thread. I little bit of fun amongst the more serious threads. Please don't take away our little bit of fun...please.

I've always thought of this thread as a joke thread. I little bit of fun amongst the more serious threads. Please don't take away our little bit of fun...please.

...alright...thinking about the alternatives you guys would come up with... :)

On January 2, 2010, at approximately 6:15 in the pm I was at Central leaning on the rail between MK and the Ice Bar kiosk. I was just leaning thinking about everything and thinking about nothing. You know, just hanging out. Anyway, I began to feel vibration after vibration after vibration from the rail. The place was pretty busy, but that is no excuse. I am not an engineer, but I have never felt any vibration at any mall! I mentioned it to my friend and she pointed to the escalator as the problem. :)

As I said it was busy, so when we went to MK we were put on the seating list. Anyway, I leaned on the rail in front of MK and watched one of the chefs chop some duck. I was able to feel the vibration through the rail with each chop!! :D People, I am not an engineer, but I would not expect to feel so many vibrations AND especially to feel vibrations from a piece of duck being chopped.

This place is scary and I think someone really needs to take a hard look at the stress level calculations in comparison to what was actually done. I really think that this place is an accident waiting happen.

TheWalkingMan

On January 2, 2010, at approximately 6:15 in the pm I was at Central leaning on the rail between MK and the Ice Bar kiosk. I was just leaning thinking about everything and thinking about nothing. You know, just hanging out. Anyway, I began to feel vibration after vibration after vibration from the rail. The place was pretty busy, but that is no excuse. I am not an engineer, but I have never felt any vibration at any mall! I mentioned it to my friend and she pointed to the escalator as the problem. :)

As I said it was busy, so when we went to MK we were put on the seating list. Anyway, I leaned on the rail in front of MK and watched one of the chefs chop some duck. I was able to feel the vibration through the rail with each chop!! :D People, I am not an engineer, but I would not expect to feel so many vibrations AND especially to feel vibrations from a piece of duck being chopped.

This place is scary and I think someone really needs to take a hard look at the stress level calculations in comparison to what was actually done. I really think that this place is an accident waiting happen.

TheWalkingMan

I felt those vibrations there too. Of course, I feel and get good vibrations at the Paragon and MBK in Bangkok too!

I felt similar vibrations at Central World in Bangkok. There is a Bridge between two sections and I was sitting at some juice bar (I know....my reputation is going through the toilet now... :) ...) and whenever someone walked across the bridge was shaking.

Buildings move actually much more than we would think. If they were stiff they would collapse. The trick is, they should not move too much either...and move not at a multiple of it's resonance frequency.