Mosquito Breakthrough

Swelters

Having lived in a traditional Thai house for some time we became discouraged at the prospect of ever eliminating night mosquito attacks. Commercial traps appear to attract as many or more of them as they catch, sprays or repellent and effective for only a few hours, mosquito nets block needed overhead fan ventilation, one resorts to wandering to toilet ever swinging an electric mosquito racquet. Nonetheless, several maddening bites a night has been the norm.

post-25752-1244353668_thumb.png

My Thai wife's theory was that they were deftly entering our screened bedroom every time we opened the door, so that we should screen the auxiliary space outside the bedroom, see illustration. I refused to believe, thought the project infeasible, but bought several rolls of black fiberglass netting for about 1200 baht at her insistence. It took a local guy a few hours of work to cut an staple over all openings, maybe another 300 baht.

It works absolutely. What was clearly happening is company-sized troops were entering and hiding in the veranda area (perhaps atracted by cooking CO2?), at least two or three following any entry into the bedroom, even when effort was made to enter quickly.

Sorry to confess that it took me more than two years to solve this problem, maybe of use to someone else trying to live the simple life.

Having lived in a traditional Thai house for some time we became discouraged at the prospect of ever eliminating night mosquito attacks. Commercial traps appear to attract as many or more of them as they catch, sprays or repellent and effective for only a few hours, mosquito nets block needed overhead fan ventilation, one resorts to wandering to toilet ever swinging an electric mosquito racquet. Nonetheless, several maddening bites a night has been the norm.

My Thai wife's theory was that they were deftly entering our screened bedroom every time we opened the door, so that we should screen the auxiliary space outside the bedroom, see illustration. I refused to believe, thought the project infeasible, but bought several rolls of black fiberglass netting for about 1200 baht at her insistence. It took a local guy a few hours of work to cut an staple over all openings, maybe another 300 baht.

It works absolutely. What was clearly happening is company-sized troops were entering and hiding in the veranda area (perhaps atracted by cooking CO2?), at least two or three following any entry into the bedroom, even when effort was made to enter quickly.

Sorry to confess that it took me more than two years to solve this problem, maybe of use to someone else trying to live the simple life.

So in effect, you made a mosquito airlock? Brilliant! Congrats to your wife for coming up with the idea :)

Good idea but not for me I just have so much fun ZAPPING the PESKY little bastards with my Mosquito Bats(have three one is now oon recharge) :D:D:)

You need to see up a laser gun screen - Just being developed but prices should come down - best to liase with local properties to split investment .

"Scientists in the U.S. are developing a laser gun that could kill millions of mosquitoes in minutes.

The WHO has reported that around half of the world's population is at risk of malaria.

1 of 2 The laser, which has been dubbed a "weapon of mosquito destruction" fires at mosquitoes once it detects the audio frequency created by the beating of its wings.

The laser beam then destroys the mosquito, burning it on the spot.

Developed by some of the astrophysicists involved in what was known as the "Star Wars" anti-missile programs during the Cold War, the project is meant to prevent the spread of malaria.

Lead scientist on the project, Dr. Jordin Kare, told CNN that the laser would be able to sweep an area and "toast millions of mosquitoes in a few minutes."

Malaria is a life-threatening disease caused by parasites that are transmitted to people from the bites of female mosquitoes.

There are an estimated 300 million acute cases of malaria each year globally, resulting in more than one million deaths, the WHO reports.

Responding to questions about any potential harm the laser could pose to the eco-system, Kare said: "There is no such thing as a good mosquito, there's nothing that feeds exclusively on them. No one would miss mosquitoes," he said.

"In any case," he added. "The laser is able to distinguish between mosquitoes that go after people and those that aren't dangerous. What remains to be seen is how precise we can get."

He added that other insects would not be affected by the laser's beam.

Kare said the lasers could be mounted on lamp post-type poles and put around the circumference of villages, to create a kind of "fence" against mosquitoes.

The research was commissioned by Intellectual Ventures, a Washington, U.S.-based company that was founded by Nathan Myhrvold, a former Microsoft Corporation executive. "

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/16/m...apon/index.html

... my Mosquito Bats(have three one is now on recharge) :D:D:)

I have about a dozen of the things. The thing is, they kept failing, so I bought more. Then I took one apart and found out it was the cheap micro switches that were failing, so I found a shop that sold them and replaced the dud ones. 25 switches, 50 baht! :D

Gawd - I simply love the way you think!! :):D

BR>Jack

The laser beam then destroys the mosquito, burning it on the spot.

How does that work if it is landing on your nose at the time......not for indoor use I take it!!!