Police Finish Shift,the Madness Begins

longstebe

Whats with the police finishing there shift then all hel_l breaks loose.

I've noticed this especially in Pattaya some parts of Bangkok and even as far as Sakon Nakhon.

It's almost like people wait for this time to 'come out and play'.

Young kids racing there motor-cys, farangs thinking it now safe to take off the helmets and all types

thinking it's ok to drink and drive.

2 girls driving around SN had an accident.They were hit by a drunk driver.The first thing I asked the wife was did anyone die? she replied 'no'. Then, were the girls wearing there helmets? She replied "no the police had gone home".

Don't get me wrong I have been guilty of all the above in my younger days.

Is it just the 'norm' ?

2 girls driving around SN had an accident.They were hit by a drunk driver.The first thing I asked the wife was did anyone die? she replied 'no'. Then, were the girls wearing there helmets? She replied "no the police had gone home".

Is it just the 'norm' ?

Crash helmets are worn to protect the wallet, not the head.

My wife only ever wears a crash helmet when she rides into town during the day. It frustrates the hel_l out of me that she won't wear one full time on her bike.

Is it just the 'norm' ?

My wife only ever wears a crash helmet when she rides into town during the day. It frustrates the hel_l out of me that she won't wear one full time on her bike.

Why wear helmut it will only mess up her hair. They just don't seem to have any idea what it would be like to be brain damaged.

Is it just the 'norm' ?

I finally got my wife to wear a seat belt in the car, but no luck on the helmet either, messes her hair up and too hot. Like you say, helmets are for protecting the wallet.

That's okay, Buddha is going to take care of them. :):D

Comments like that are best kept in your tiny mind...................no wonder there are so many pratts in the world with people like you sir. :D and people ask why does Thailand not like outsiders!!!!!

Comments like that are best kept in your tiny mind...................no wonder there are so many pratts in the world with people like you sir. :D and people ask why does Thailand not like outsiders!!!!!

Sorry bikerman, your call out of IanForbes as a pratt makes you yourself seem like one. He called the Thai attitude to not wearing crash helmets as he saw it - bloody stupid. I agree.

Sorry bikerman, your call out of IanForbes as a pratt makes you yourself seem like one. He called the Thai attitude to not wearing crash helmets as he saw it - bloody stupid. I agree.

It was a snide remark in my eyes at Thai beliefs; Buddha will take care of them!!

Sorry crocodile :D I may have missed his comments on Thais not wearing helmet :D Maybe he never wrote one :D I only commented on his remark; still think he is a Pratt for that kind of remark.

I have few bikes and neither myself nor wife would ever dream about going out without helmet (good quality ones) I think its called common sense :D

It was a snide remark in my eyes at Thai beliefs; Buddha will take care of them!!

Sorry crocodile :D I may have missed his comments on Thais not wearing helmet :D Maybe he never wrote one :D I only commented on his remark; still think he is a Pratt for that kind of remark.

I have few bikes and neither myself nor wife would ever dream about going out without helmet (good quality ones) I think its called common sense :D

I doubt any Thai's I know would take offence to saying Buddha will take care of them, they would smile and agree whole heartedly, why do you think they have expensive gold Buddha's hanging on the also expensive gold chain around their necks.

Edited by garyh

In a way I agree that the 'Buddha' remark is a little insensitive but I can see where he's coming from.

Let me give you an example.

A near neighbour of the inlwas recently had a bad accident in which he totalled his pickup in a drainage ditch.

He badly cut up his face, broke some ribs and had other injuries.

He was lucky not to have died.

He was not wearing a seat belt and had a few drinks beforehand.

Everyone said it was a miracle and he himself put it down to his amulet.

I am sure it is not Buddha that takes care of them.............It is the will of Allah where I work. No but really: Just because you travel or live in a "hem hem" a developing country you do not suspend your intelligence and education and fall prey to mindless superstiions, and vanity especially when it comes to a matter of life and death.........That is just a form of inverted racism.

I think this comment was just some light hearted humour thats all.

Bikerman, I'm totally with you on the helmet situation.Bo!!ocks to the hair style.

It's better than seeing your brain all mashed up in that so called beautiful hair.

I have noticed the police being a little stricter on some of the bike laws.

Before, if you were carrying a passenger,only the driver needed a helmet.

I remember one of my first trips to Thailand. Sitting in the back seat of a yellow and green taxi, I asked the driver what the symbols on the roof lining meant.

He replied: Buddha protect."

Perhaps driving slower and watching where you are going would help more, I hinted.

He replied: 'No need, Buddha protect."

Peter

• 6 months later...

Shift changes are major problem everywhere. This is why police districts with police administrators that undertake continuing education and that read their professional journals have what are called phased changes. The days of a mass return to the local station are long gone in countries that have experienced major robberies or attacks on stations during changeovers. (Think of past incidents in India in regard to attacks.) However, in a city like Los Angeles or London where there are vehicle fleets and sizeable numbers of personnel, it's easier to have a smooth transition. It is difficult to undertake in those areas where you don't have the vehicles or the personnel.

If I am not mistaken, outside of Bangkok there is understaffing and a lack of resources for most police departments. I haven't a clue about Pattaya, but does the city have a large police fleet and lots of BiBs?

[quote That's okay, Buddha is going to take care of them. :D

@bikerman: ...helmet - good quality ones .......

And there is maybe the problem. The most of the drivers have so bad ones, or they do wear them, as the police use to do, without close the ..... (?) under the chin.

In this way, the helmets are realy only to protect the wallet.

I do not think, that shift changes are a problem in the NE. Understaffing its may a problem. But the bad payment is the one.

In many years i did saw the police only a few times do realy there work. I think, they get so bad payd, that the have other things to do then to fulfil there real dutys. :)

If I am not mistaken, outside of Bangkok there is understaffing and a lack of resources for most police departments. I haven't a clue about Pattaya, but does the city have a large police fleet and lots of BiBs?

I've been here on and off for three months. I think I have seen them 3 times, other than the guy that sits at the end of Soi 3 everyday stopping bikers going the wrong way and not wearing helmets. They certainly don't have a visible presence that would have any sort of deterrent value for anything.

I've been here on and off for three months. I think I have seen them 3 times, other than the guy that sits at the end of Soi 3 everyday stopping bikers going the wrong way and not wearing helmets. They certainly don't have a visible presence that would have any sort of deterrent value for anything.

I've been here nearly nine years and I've NEVER seen a cop pull a biker for going up or down a soi the wrong way.

Tootle along to the Pattaya Tai branch of Kasikorn Bank on Friday and you'll see BiB there mob handed collecting 200 baht a time from bikers. Every week they are there and the bikers still go bare (and empty) headed.

Last week I saw a gentleman wearing a motorcycle taxi jacket hit the side of a cement truck. No helmet. Not much of a head left either. Now his family have no breadwinner, his children have no father. The driver of the cement truck took it very badly. It was in no way his fault.

It really is time that people in this country got both some basic education and developed some sense of responsibility, both for themselves and especially for others.

Edited by stolidfeline

I always ride without a helmet. I've tried a helmet once, made me feel resticted and less aware. I'm also quite an inexperienced rider. On top of that I like to weave in and out of traffic, though not particularly fast. And I'm never the first one to leave a red light. It's quite dangerous, I guess, but I feel safer being in the traffic than I do trying to cross it.

I always ride without a helmet. I've tried a helmet once, made me feel resticted and less aware. I'm also quite an inexperienced rider. On top of that I like to weave in and out of traffic, though not particularly fast. And I'm never the first one to leave a red light. It's quite dangerous, I guess, but I feel safer being in the traffic than I do trying to cross it.

You'll probably take some flak for that statement but I must admit I felt safer in all those years on Pattaya m/c taxis (then Ha Noi) when the helmet law was not enforced thus we didn't wear one than I do these days. Plus I noticed when driving a car that the level of craziness went up a few notches when they were forced to wear helmets. It's like the helmet isolates them from their surroundings.

As for a diminished police presence at shift change, I've never noticed any reduction in visible numbers any time day or night.

Troll. Must be.