Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

today got first, 1 year, thai auto license.

usa citizen on toursit visa

they say they will accept a thai immigration proof of residence. thai immigration says they no longer issue this. so the embassy/consulate is the only option.

this, for me, was a simple sworn statement with no evidence required. cost $30 and about 30 minutes.

got the medical at a local clinic., cost 30 baht and about 5 minutes. they know what you need.

i was able to do the whole process myself with virtually zero thai language skills. go upstairs to the big information counter to begin, (they speak english there), and follow the pointing fingers thereafter. no problem.

cost me 205 baht. 105 plus another 100 'tax?'. about 1 -2 hours start to finish with lunch in between. near tesco and big c so was able to kill time easy.

had standard usa license from california. passport, medical and residence forms. make copies before hand but if you don't there is a copy place downstairs.

they did the pictures there and created the license while i waited.

take a book to read as the wait will be boring.

simple visual tests were taken. no written. no driving.

all in all, if you have a need or desire do it. it is easy.

Edited by altman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

they say they will accept a thai immigration proof of residence. thai immigration says they no longer issue this. so the embassy/consulate is the only option.

this, for me, was a simple sworn statement with no evidence required. cost $30 and about 30 minutes.

got the medical at a local clinic., cost 30 baht and about 5 minutes. they know what you need.

i was able to do the whole process myself with virtually zero thai language skills. go upstairs to the big information counter to begin, (they speak english there), and follow the pointing fingers thereafter. no problem.

cost me 205 baht. 105 plus another 100 'tax?'. about 1 -2 hours start to finish with lunch in between. near tesco and big c so was able to kill time easy.

had standard usa license from california. passport, medical and residence forms. make copies before hand but if you don't there is a copy place downstairs.

splendid :o ...and which land transport office did you use?

I just got my five year licence today, eight days after my one year licence expired. I went to the Sukhumvit office.

All the usual stuff - passport copies, work permit copies, old license etc.

Interestingly, they also asked for the original of my passport too. I wasnt expecting that, but I took it anyway. They also needed a health certificate - 75 baht from across the road.

Total cost 605 baht for the shiny new card. In and out within 15 minutes. Very polite, courteous and efficient.

• 2 weeks later...
I just got my five year licence today, eight days after my one year licence expired. I went to the Sukhumvit office.

All the usual stuff - passport copies, work permit copies, old license etc.

Interestingly, they also asked for the original of my passport too. I wasnt expecting that, but I took it anyway. They also needed a health certificate - 75 baht from across the road.

Total cost 605 baht for the shiny new card. In and out within 15 minutes. Very polite, courteous and efficient.

My missus just got hers today in Pattaya same requirements but took 3 hours of waiting.

An Irishman’s guide on how NOT to get a Thai Driver’s Licence.

Just for the information of anybody in future that will seek a Thai driver’s licence that lives in an apartment well read on. For convenience I will call the land registry office (driver and vehicle licence agency) the DVLA.

As directed on my local forum I got my necessary documents together. I paid a visit to the doctor and didn’t even venture outside from behind his screen. Actually he examined my passport more closely than he examined me. He called his assistant and I wondered what was up with him. It turned out he was looking for an address but I forgot city of birth was written in Irish so I told him pasaa Eye-land and he smiled. “But I don’t want my Irish address on my certificate,” I told him, “I want my Thai address.” He obliged and I scribbled down my Thai address and the certificate was ready in a couple of minutes, costing only a mere 50 Baht.

As I am on a Non-Imm “ED” (educational) visa I also had to get a letter from my school. Next were the letters from my apartment and a signed copy of the tabian baan.

Monday morning 9am arrived at the police station (area 51) to see the Alien Officer. This went smoothly enough and as advised he took the copy of the tabian baan and gave me a receipt for it. As I wrote my name and signed the document he chatted to my girlfriend and her friend (I’ll call her Lek) and he didn’t question anything. We were out in about 15 minutes and we skipped merrily down the corridor having jumped through hoop number 1.

We went to Nong Khai immigration and luckily there was only 3 in front of me but 2 were filling in paperwork and ushered me to go in front of them. This must have been the rock I perished on. My warm up act was an old French man and he had only over-stayed a mere 26 days. Captain Bligh was in good form and ripped monsieur Thibaut a new one. “Why you come here now?” He screamed at him. “Visa finish number 2 you know?” The French guy sat with his head hung. Captain Bligh was like a snowball… The more he went on the louder he got. “Neck munh you come number 2 ok?” And he waved away the shell shocked Frenchman.

I was on next and wai’ed him hoping he would cool down but his body language suggested he wanted me in front of a firing squad for possession of white skin. I laid my documents before him and he snatched the police receipt, waved it in my face and shouted, “What is this?” “A police receipt for the tabian bahn.” I replied. Lek came to join me and he was dumbfounded that I was living in an apartment and had the audacity to look for a driver’s licence. He leaned back in his chair and waved this paper and looked down to the guy that sits to the right. My Thai is sufficient to get the gist that he said, “Fahlang stay in apartment and wants a driver’s licence.” They both had a laugh. When he sat back he told my friend that if I were to proceed I’d need another signed copy of the tabian bahn with someone to verify my tenancy there.

I was told to go back to my apartment and get this document, proceed to DVLA and when they approved it go back to him, then when he approved it I could go back to DVLA.

Back to the apartment we sped and the manager got another signed copy of the tabian bahn for me verifying that I truly stay there. The guy that signed it even photocopied his ID card and with a hand-written note in Thai.

If in Udon as I am the land registry/DVLA is approximately 17km outside of Udon (Nong Soon) heading for Khon Kaen. Hopefully you will have a native with you that points it out but it is pretty obvious, a white building with its purple roof (if its not purple I’ll fail any future colour-blindness tests). It is on the right side so you drive on a little bit and do a u-turn to get to it. Note: The number 44 songtau goes that far. If you have no transport, it’s a cheap and cheerful alternative.

I went to the second floor and presented my documents. He gave my g/f my licences (Irish and International) and told her to go and copy every page of them. A discussion ensued with the man at the counter and Lek. It didn’t look good. Once again I got the gist… An apartment no but if I was on the tabian bahn of a house it would be ok.

I asked Lek, “Yes or no?” “No,” she replied. I gathered my stuff and just walked out. The 2 of them wai’ed him with a “Khopkhun kaa.” Khopkhun kaa my <deleted> I thought.

IF I had forgotten an important document I’d understand.

IF I lived in a 199 Baht per night no-tell motel I’d accept it and understand it but the irony is I know of 2 fahlang guys that got their licence while living here and even the mair bahn told my g/f that fahlang have got their licence in the past while living here no problem.

So to anybody that ever poses the question can you own a car or get a driver’s licence when living in an apartment it seems like so much else it is not black and white. It is at the discretion of an irate immigration official or the man from the DVLA that like to say no.

P.S. Just looking at the US guys that seem to bypass this tabian ban thing. Anybody know is it possible I could do the same by going to the Irish consulate.

As you can see from the above post by Irish, the buracrates in Udon Thani have made it difficult for a falang to get a licence. I plan to go to the U.S. Embassy in Bankok to get my letter of residence and apply for my licence in Bankok.

My Question is, can I apply for my licence in Bankok if my address is in another province (Udon Thani)? Will this present any problems?

What are the chances of renewing a 1yr licence to 5yrs with a embassy/consulate residency letter, in lieu of the Non-imm Visa/Work Permit, whilst on a Tourist Visa @ the office on Sukhumvit? I see some have accomplished similar feats, is it within the rule's?

Edited by TopDogger

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

My 1 year driving license expires on the 20th June and i would like to go for the 5 year license. Do i have to apply on the same day that my 1 year license expires or can i do this before of after that date?

I am based in Bangkok.

Cheers for the help,

Rick

Hi Guys,

My 1 year driving license expires on the 20th June and i would like to go for the 5 year license. Do i have to apply on the same day that my 1 year license expires or can i do this before of after that date?

I am based in Bangkok.

Cheers for the help,

Rick

you can only apply for a 5 year license AFTER your 1 year has expired.

so in your case go any time AFTER but not on or before the 20th of june.

no you dont need to apply on the same day.

Hi Guys,

I am based in Bangkok.

Cheers for the help,

Rick

Thanks for the info mate, very useful.

Cheers, Rick

Hi altman,

Refering to your post on obtaining a Thai drivers license, which license office did you go to and where is it located?

I'm coming to Bangkok to get my license but I'm not familier with the city. I'll be looking for a hotel that will be easy to get to the license office, the US embassy and a clinic for the med certificate. Any suggestions?

I'm staying in Udon Thani, but immigration here has made it difficult to get a license here without a housebook.

Also, anyone know if I can legally apply for my licence in Bankok if my address is in another province (Udon Thani)? Will this present any problems?

Thanks,

Hi Guys,

I am based in Bangkok.

Cheers for the help,

Rick

Is there a time limit following the expiry on the one year license. I will be out of Thailand for two weeks following that date, so is it ok to apply when i return to Thailand?

Cheers, Rick

Obtaining a 5 Year Licence

Documents needed:

1. Your old, expired Thai driving licence. (On the date you apply, your licence must have already expired.)

2. Photocopies of the following pages of your passport:

- the page with your photograph and name

- the non-immigrant visa

- the departure card ("TM... card" - stapled in your passport)

- the last arrival stamp ("Admitted Until" stamp)

- the last "Application Of Stay" extension stamp.

All pages must be signed by you.

3. 2 Photographs for each licence: 1 inch square (2.5 cm square) excluding the white border, which will be cut off.

It must show your complete face, neck and top of shoulders.

4. A photocopy of and the original document, which is a letter or form (bottom of TM47 form) from Immigration confirming your address in Thailand. They will keep the photocopy and give you back the original document.

The photocopy must be signed by you.

5. 505 baht for car licence / 255 baht for motorbike - valid 5 years minimum, up to your next birthday after 5 full years.

Note: no medical certificate is required.

The above was the case at Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office, 25/7/2005, http://www.phuketdir.com/pkttransport . (There is an error on this page: it says the photo must be 2.5 inches. It should be 2.5 cm).

They Land Transport Office in Pattaya now requires a medical certificate for the five year. If you are using a tourist visa to renew the require you to take the test again unless you have an IDL.

I need to get mine re-newed to the 5 year one.

I live in Bkk, but i have seen Pattaya Imigration do the letter for 'free'

Has anyone tried to goto Pattaya 'on a little holiday' and get the letter from imigration while there?

May as well spend the 2500baht the British Embassy charge, and get away for a few days :o

Any info guys?

I need to get mine re-newed to the 5 year one.

I live in Bkk, but i have seen Pattaya Imigration do the letter for 'free'

Has anyone tried to goto Pattaya 'on a little holiday' and get the letter from imigration while there?

May as well spend the 2500baht the British Embassy charge, and get away for a few days :D

Any info guys?

I got one about a month ago and it was 400 bt (last year 250 :o ). I don't know if there are any issues on applying for a letter outside your home province though.

• 2 weeks later...
Two silly questions:-

1. Do I need photo copies of IDL and own country license

2. Are car and motor cycle licenses separate or are the two put in one license.

Thanks

Can answer my own silly questions now. Yes you need a copy of IDL. They did not (in Pattaya at least) require a copy, or even to see, my own country licence.

You get two separate licences, one for a car and one for a motor cycle.

For information a car licence is now 205 baht and a motor cycle licence is 155 baht.

The whole process took about 2 hours. A bit chaotic, but relatively painless. The hardest part was trying to find where to get the forms - in the car park over by the toilet. After that the system took care of everything. The staff were friendly and helpful.

I too am due to renew 1 year car and motorcycle licence(s) for the five year one.

I have recently heard some conflicting stories which I'm looking for clarrification. Apparently, if you are applying with a Non Imm O Visa they will now only accept SINGLE entry, not the MULTIPLE as previous. Are immigration offices (Nong Khai) issuing 'Alien Residence Certificates', or do you have to get this document from your embassy, or is it possible to go to the Metropolitan Police. If resident up-country can you apply for the licence itself in Bangkok.

And FINALLY, is it worth it ....................

Or, should one just leave 1,000 THB on the counter and see how long it stays there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too am due to renew 1 year car and motorcycle licence(s) for the five year one.

I have recently heard some conflicting stories which I'm looking for clarrification. Apparently, if you are applying with a Non Imm O Visa they will now only accept SINGLE entry, not the MULTIPLE as previous. Are immigration offices (Nong Khai) issuing 'Alien Residence Certificates', or do you have to get this document from your embassy, or is it possible to go to the Metropolitan Police. If resident up-country can you apply for the licence itself in Bangkok.

And FINALLY, is it worth it ....................

Or, should one just leave 1,000 THB on the counter and see how long it stays there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Pattaya got my one year licence on a one year multiple entry non immigrant O (multi-entry) 2 days ago.

Used Residence Certificate from Jomtien Immigration. Cost 200 baht each - I need two; for car and motor cycle. I can't imagine the 5 year licence is any different.

May be somebody has already ask it, but this forum is so big.

I have 5 years Thai DL (my eu DV is expired) and I would get a valid International DL.

How can I get?

Is it really valid outside Thailand (eg. Australia, New Zealand, Europe)??

Thak you for your informations.

Refering to your post on obtaining a Thai drivers license, which license office did you go to and where is it located?

I'm coming to Bangkok to get my license but I'm not familier with the city. I'll be looking for a hotel that will be easy to get to the license office, the US embassy and a clinic for the med certificate. Any suggestions?

I'm staying in Udon Thani, but immigration here has made it difficult to get a license here without a housebook.

Also, anyone know if I can legally apply for my licence in Bankok if my address is in another province (Udon Thani)? Will this present any problems?

Thanks,

To answer my own question (if anyones interested), it was no problem getting my license in Bangkok using my address in Udon Thani. Stayed in the Nana area, short walk to the US embassy on wireless road, found a little clinic on sukumvit for the med certificate, hopped on the BTS on sukumvit to the Mochit station, short walk to the Chatuchak DLT. EZ!

May be somebody has already ask it, but this forum is so big.

I have 5 years Thai DL (my eu DV is expired) and I would get a valid International DL.

How can I get?

Is it really valid outside Thailand (eg. Australia, New Zealand, Europe)??

Thak you for your informations.

There was a big counter at the Chatuchak DTL for international drivers license's. On the same floor (2nd?) that you apply for drivers license.

Not sure what you need here in Thailand, I got one in the US based on my US drivers license (and the cash of course). And there's a BUNCH of countries listed on it that it's valid in.

Thanks,

To answer my own question (if anyones interested), it was no problem getting my license in Bangkok using my address in Udon Thani. Stayed in the Nana area, short walk to the US embassy on wireless road, found a little clinic on sukumvit for the med certificate, hopped on the BTS on sukumvit to the Mochit station, short walk to the Chatuchak DLT. EZ!

I'll be coming into town for the same purpose...whereabouts along Sukhumvit (relative to soi Nana) did you find the clinic?

regards to Mr Snatcheral :o ...

A note on the certificate of residence (from Immigration),

If you plan to get it from Immigration, you have to go to the same immigration office that you last reported for 90days at. If you go to สวนพลู (suan ploo) immigration office, go straight upstairs to the second floor to room 206, I found the lady at the information desk didn’t have a clue what I was talking about and kept telling me I couldn’t apply for 'permanent' residency when all I asked for was a residence certificate for driving licence. So after 5mins of trying to explain in English I resorted to Thai and said เพื่อการต่ออายุใบขับขี่ and straight away she said room 206. But in this case I last reported for 90days at the immigration at the new airport so they couldn’t help me, but was very nice and helpful. She did inform me that you need to photocopy the stub of the report 90day form and bring it with your passport and ask for a residence certificate, but it can take from 3-6weeks, again this is conflicting what other people have said above.

I had already paid the 2,210B that the British Embassy are now asking for the proof of residence letter, but this was to be for my Thai firearms licence, anyway I brought this along to the area 5 office (mochit) asked her if I could take the letter back as I need it for the firearms licence, she said no problem took 2 photocopies of it and handed the letter back.

I previously went to the area 3 office, where they told me since I was a student I could get a letter หนังสือรับรอง from the university instead of the immigration or embassy letter. In fact this was false information, they will ONLY accept a work permit, immigration letter or embassy letter as proof or residence.

Edited by TonyBkk

Thanks,

I'll be coming into town for the same purpose...whereabouts along Sukhumvit (relative to soi Nana) did you find the clinic?

regards to Mr Snatcheral :o ...

Walk up soi Nana, take a right on Sukhumvit, a couple blocks up (around soi 10?) is a dental/medical clinic that's only open at night. If you don't see it, stop in any pharmacy and ask. Thats how I found it.

I'll tell the Natch you said hi!

Could anyone tell me the closing time of the Department of Land Transport's Jatujak Office. I can't seem to find it on any of the websites, this one or their official site.

Thanks.

Today I applied for a 5 year car and motorcyle license from the On Nut area office Bangkok. It seems that a few things have changed from the previous requirements. The licenses are now in smart card format so you don't need to take any photo's as they take them during the application process.

Your one year license must have expired.

The following documents are required:

1. Passport including your non immigrant visa.

2. A cerificate of residence ( I got a letter from the UK Embassy) My rental agreement was not acceptable.

3. A medical certificate is now definitely required. ( I did not need this for my 1 year license?)

If you are applying for car and motorcycle licences they require a copy of the above for each license.

The two licenses cost me 960 Baht.

Cheers, Rick