Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

I have a 5 year Thai Car Driving License and Thai Bike License that both run out on 31st July 2011 - which is a Sunday. Do I still have to go there on the day AFTER they expire which would be the Monday or can I go there on the Friday 29th???

Thanks for your help.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did mine in Chiang Mai. very easy. I hear Pattaya is even easier.

I did have a check up cost me 100Bt. (my wife was only 50bt.)

Had paper first time from immigration

just had regular Driving Licences from America

Eye test and had it within 1 hour and kept my America Licences

1 year later went back, Again doctor note but could use my Work permit did not need paper from immigration.

from walking into the building to leaving with new card in had, both Car and motorbike, was under 5 minutes, Everyone coulld talk English ok enough to get it done

No worries !

Anyone out there renewed their 5 year license EARLY in Pattaya recently ? Mine is due for renewal in August but I would like to do it now for various reasons. I thought you could do it up to 90 days early but i am hearing tales of them turning people away until it has expired.

My experience of getting One year Motorcycle license from Chatuchak Land Transportation Office on tourist Visa - May 27 2011

I just want to start off by saying that the Chatuchak land Transportation office is a very competent government office. And for the amount of people they process through everyday, they do a great job with a smile. Efficient and professional.

The documents that were needed:

Passport photo page photocopy x2

Visa Page with Entry Stamp and immigration card photocopy x2 (there are scattered reports that say you cannot get the license on a tourist visa. Obviously every office and region is different, but here you can)

Driving Licence from your home country photocopy front and back x1 (I do not have an international Driving license)

Residence certificate x1 (must be from your embassy because immigration in Bangkok will not issue it to you on a tourist visa, I've tried)

Medical Certificate

I arrived at Chatuchak MRT at 8:20 am. Leave at Exit 4 for the Land and Transportation (LT) office. I walked past the LT office to reach soi 18. And once you cross soi 18, the second shop to the left is the clinic. Walk into the door and hand over 60baht (or 100baht as reported by others). Wait in line and the doctor does a couple checks listening to your heart beat and breathing. Done in 10 minutes.

Walk back to the LT office. You can take a moto taxi for 10baht to building 4 or walk which is about an 8 minute walk from the main road. Go up to the second floor.

If you are missing any photocopies at this point, you can get it done here for 2baht a page.

Let information desk check your documents. You will be given a number for cubicle 17 and 18. Walk over and wait.

Once your turn, the agent checks your documents. Staples them together, and then hands them to you with a number. Take them and head to the third floor.

On the third floor, hand everything to the desk and wait for your physical tests while you watch a video in Thai about what to do in the tests. They will call people into the test room in 20 people lots. Once inside:

#1 line up by the color test. Lady points at circles with different sizes and colors, just name the color.

#2 Reaction test. You step on the gas pedal and when the red light comes on, step on the brakes

#3 Is supposed to be the test where they judge your depth perception with two sticks, for some reason, this test was skipped

#4 place your head on the machine and name the colors that appear to the left and right for perception test

Once passed, head up to fourth floor. You will enter room 2 for foreigners, watch a 1 hour video in english and study a book with road signs.

Then head back down to third floor for the computer multiple choice test. 30 questions, maximum 7 wrong to pass. I failed my first one, got 9 wrong. I don't really agree on some of what the 'correct' answers are. But it could also be a translation problem. Either way, I failed and had to return at 1pm after the lunch break. It was 11:45am at this point. A man rushed me out quickly at this point without having much time to review what I got wrong, but it was because a huge group was waiting to be tested outside.

I returned at 1pm, got 6 wrong, passed. You are handed back your passport with a piece of paper. Head out to the driving test building.

Inside, hand over your documents and tell the lady if you want to rent the motorcycle for 50baht. Then head into room 2 and watch the instructions of the driving test. Its a 10 minute video that goes in a loop. I had to watch many times because there was a long wait, alot of people. Just take a nap :D. Fairly simple test:

#1 drive straight along a ramp

#2 drive along a curvy road

#3 Drive around the test area obeying the road signs

For some reason, the part of driving over the bridge was done separately. So I had to drive twice in total. I didn't understand why, and my Thai is not good enough to ask too many questions LOL.

Once completed, 3:15pm for me. Take your passport back with the piece of paper and head back to building 4 second floor. You have passed everything. You will be told to go to one of the cubicles where they will take your picture and your one year temporary license (155baht) will be ready within minutes.

Out of the building before 4pm

Edited by spinshock

• 1 month later...

I have recently got my Thai licence for 4 wheel car and for motorbike.

They were issued on the basis of my international licence.

(This was in Udon Thani)

However, they flatly refused to issue me a licence for a 6 wheel or 10 wheel vehicle,

although my national and international licences cover such vehicles.

I was offered the following process in order to get a licence for a 6 or 10 wheeler:

1) get written into a blue tabien baan

2) go to Municipality Office for an interview together with owner of blue tabien baan

3) if interviewer happy then I would be issued a yellow tabien baan

4) then go and get the licence

seems rather akward

I also hear that some say the a WP is required for a 6 or 10 wheel vehicle.

Sounds a bit weird to me that a WP should be required for driving a relatively small RV with 4 wheels in the rear.

Could anybody shed some light on this 6/10 wheel licence?

Can anone tell me exactly what info I will have to provide for a renewal of a 5 year license?

Many thanks

TP

Bump Pauly's comment - I'd like to know this too.

My 5 year license is expiring in October. What documents will I need to show them? The license expires on my birthday, do I still need to go on the day after, or can I do it earlier now?

Hi,

Is it necessary for a Frenchman with a french driving licence and an indate IDP to take the Thai driving test.

or

will he be able to obtain a one year Thai driving licence by just doing the colour blindness, perception and reaction tests.

He has a marriage extention and yellow tambien book.

Tks for any reply

I have an IDP from my home-country, but my national drivers license isn't here (and most certainly I do not want to afford two flight tickets just to get that document). So is it still possible to get a Thai drivers license with an IDP? Or do I really need to show my national drivers license? If so, can I just get a Thai drivers license the normal way, ie. taking drivers education etc., just like a Thai would do, or would it be too expensive and time-consuming (I heard it's not that difficult here)?

As for the other documents, I will have a WP and according visa soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from Phuket Driving Licence Centre in Phuket Town. I currently had no Thai licence before. Arrived at 8am, doors opened 8.30am, went to counter to check paperwork.

I provided them:

2 x Copy passport

2 x Copy Visa page & TM6

2 x Copy yellow book (proof of address)

2 x UK Driving Licence

2 x Medical Cert

Did only reaction test and colourblind test (no driving test or theory exam), paid 160 baht at 1 counter, moved to next counter got photo taken and paid 220baht, got both car & motorbike licence and finished.

Very easy and quick, out the door at 9.45am.

M.

My experience of getting One year Motorcycle license from Chatuchak Land Transportation Office on tourist Visa - May 27 2011

I just want to start off by saying that the Chatuchak land Transportation office is a very competent government office. And for the amount of people they process through everyday, they do a great job with a smile. Efficient and professional.

The documents that were needed:

Passport photo page photocopy x2

Visa Page with Entry Stamp and immigration card photocopy x2 (there are scattered reports that say you cannot get the license on a tourist visa. Obviously every office and region is different, but here you can)

Driving Licence from your home country photocopy front and back x1 (I do not have an international Driving license)

Residence certificate x1 (must be from your embassy because immigration in Bangkok will not issue it to you on a tourist visa, I've tried)

Medical Certificate

I arrived at Chatuchak MRT at 8:20 am. Leave at Exit 4 for the Land and Transportation (LT) office. I walked past the LT office to reach soi 18. And once you cross soi 18, the second shop to the left is the clinic. Walk into the door and hand over 60baht (or 100baht as reported by others). Wait in line and the doctor does a couple checks listening to your heart beat and breathing. Done in 10 minutes.

Walk back to the LT office. You can take a moto taxi for 10baht to building 4 or walk which is about an 8 minute walk from the main road. Go up to the second floor.

If you are missing any photocopies at this point, you can get it done here for 2baht a page.

Let information desk check your documents. You will be given a number for cubicle 17 and 18. Walk over and wait.

Once your turn, the agent checks your documents. Staples them together, and then hands them to you with a number. Take them and head to the third floor.

On the third floor, hand everything to the desk and wait for your physical tests while you watch a video in Thai about what to do in the tests. They will call people into the test room in 20 people lots. Once inside:

#1 line up by the color test. Lady points at circles with different sizes and colors, just name the color.

#2 Reaction test. You step on the gas pedal and when the red light comes on, step on the brakes

#3 Is supposed to be the test where they judge your depth perception with two sticks, for some reason, this test was skipped

#4 place your head on the machine and name the colors that appear to the left and right for perception test

Once passed, head up to fourth floor. You will enter room 2 for foreigners, watch a 1 hour video in english and study a book with road signs.

Then head back down to third floor for the computer multiple choice test. 30 questions, maximum 7 wrong to pass. I failed my first one, got 9 wrong. I don't really agree on some of what the 'correct' answers are. But it could also be a translation problem. Either way, I failed and had to return at 1pm after the lunch break. It was 11:45am at this point. A man rushed me out quickly at this point without having much time to review what I got wrong, but it was because a huge group was waiting to be tested outside.

I returned at 1pm, got 6 wrong, passed. You are handed back your passport with a piece of paper. Head out to the driving test building.

Inside, hand over your documents and tell the lady if you want to rent the motorcycle for 50baht. Then head into room 2 and watch the instructions of the driving test. Its a 10 minute video that goes in a loop. I had to watch many times because there was a long wait, alot of people. Just take a nap :D. Fairly simple test:

#1 drive straight along a ramp

#2 drive along a curvy road

#3 Drive around the test area obeying the road signs

For some reason, the part of driving over the bridge was done separately. So I had to drive twice in total. I didn't understand why, and my Thai is not good enough to ask too many questions LOL.

Once completed, 3:15pm for me. Take your passport back with the piece of paper and head back to building 4 second floor. You have passed everything. You will be told to go to one of the cubicles where they will take your picture and your one year temporary license (155baht) will be ready within minutes.

Out of the building before 4pm

Thanks - good post. BTW my foreign and thai licences have expired, so I like my chances better out of Bangkok: What say you?

BTW back about 20 years ago I actually did the circuit test twice: failed the first time when I stopped on the starting line (as per Sign A - in English) because I couldn't read Sign B (in Thai) which said to also pull over to the right. TIT

However, when I misplaced my licence several years later and had to go back and look for myself in the old dusty record books to find the entry, I went through several years of records without finding mine - or any other European-looking name of any kind. I gather that farangs never actually did the circuit test in those days, except for me, which explains why the cops used to look at my old licence (Don't ask why) and pass it around as a sort of novelty item.

Saved me a few tickets though. TIT

Anyone out there renewed their 5 year license EARLY in Pattaya recently ? Mine is due for renewal in August but I would like to do it now for various reasons. I thought you could do it up to 90 days early but i am hearing tales of them turning people away until it has expired.

You can renew it 2 months in advance.

You can renew it 2 months in advance.

Hi,

I have a one year Thai Driving License from Chatuchak, Bangkok.

The question is this.

Next year can I renew it to five years in another office in Bangkok ?

Or can I renew it in Chiang Mai, Phuket, or Hatyai ?

Or I have to go back to Chatuchak ?

Your kind advice is much appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance.

Is a work permit still acceptable as proof of residence for obtaining the 5 year license ? My one year expires next month.

I have to answer yes but considering your Name and the fact your a sponsor here shouldn't you know these types of things ?

Lots of questions about people wanting to renew a 1 year to 5 year early, but anyone have an idea about the other end.

How long can your 1 year license be expired before you have to start the whole process again and not just simply obtain a 5 year renewal.

After many years finally pulled my finger out and got my 1 year and as luck would have it have been offered a lucrative contract job in Malaysia from April to October so earliest I would be back in Thailand would be November 2012, some 4 months after the 1 year license has expired.

Any advice or info much appreciated.

Lots of questions about people wanting to renew a 1 year to 5 year early, but anyone have an idea about the other end.

How long can your 1 year license be expired before you have to start the whole process again and not just simply obtain a 5 year renewal.

After many years finally pulled my finger out and got my 1 year and as luck would have it have been offered a lucrative contract job in Malaysia from April to October so earliest I would be back in Thailand would be November 2012, some 4 months after the 1 year license has expired.

Any advice or info much appreciated.

mine was expired for 18 months by the time I finally got around to renewing it, I was told as it had expired more than 12 months prior I would have to do the whole deal all over (watch boring movie/theory test), instead I made up an IDP and avoid all that crap.

Is a work permit still acceptable as proof of residence for obtaining the 5 year license ? My one year expires next month.

I have to answer yes but considering your Name and the fact your a sponsor here shouldn't you know these types of things ?

And why is that ? I deal in visas fro travel to countries outside Thailand, not driving licenses.

Do embassy letters confirming residence (British embassy in my case) have to be translated into thai? Or does the certified English language original suffice? Have to renew my 5 year DL and for the life of me I can't remember whether I had to provide a thai language version last time!

Must be getting to that age I suppose, ho hum...

Thanks,

CC

Despite Spoonman's attempt at belittling genuine questions, and the fact that I am not a sponsor in this forum ( which he well knows ), I would like to add my experience of obtaining my 5 - year licence today in Pattaya.

I arrived early as I remember from last year, when I got my 1 - year license, that there can be quite a scrum. At 08.00 a lady started checking documents outside the main doors. I was close to the front of the "queue". She required

Copy passport photo page, and copies of my current extension of stay - signed

Copy of my work permit ( or my residence letter, I assume, if I didn't have the work permit ) - signed

Copy of my 1 - year licence ( which I was inclined to question as I had assumed they would keep the expiring licence ). It turned out that they actually return the old license to you, after punching a hole through it, so I guess that explains why they need a copy.

Medical certificate ( original ).

By 08.20 my documents had been checked, and my fee ( 605 Baht ) paid. By 08.30 my photograph had been taken. At 08.40 I had the new license in my hand, and was out of there.

Edited by VisasPlus

Hi guys, not sure if this is the correct thread but it appears to be. Around 5 weeks ago (28th July) I went to the Chiang Mai department of Land and Transport to get my Motorbike License, I've never had any form of driving license in my home country so I had to do everything from scratch. I took it in all required documents, passport copy's, proof of residence, medical certificate, passport photos etc, etc and got the license at the end of the day.

Now over the past few weeks I've decided I want to get my car driving license so I have been taking driving lessons. My driving instructor will be taking me on Friday morning to take the car driving test but he told me I need to go and complete the written test a few days before. Do I still need to do the written test/ colour test/ speed reaction test again even though I passed them only a few weeks ago? Also, what documents will I be required to take this time? Will I have to take a new letter of residency and medical certificate or will just my passport + Thai motorbike I.D be ok? Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by ha55ha

I just got my 1-year licence -- a second time, my previous lapsed.

The documents check was done very thoroughly at the beginning and when paying for my car and motorcycle licences. I do not remember such a detailed check in my last application in 2008. So make sure you have everything in top shape. An Aussie ahead of me with an APEC automatic 90-day visa was refused his 5-year renewal and given only a 1-year. He has to go back to Melbourne next year to the Thai Embassy for a proper one-year visa, it seems. However, I had an 8-month old embassy stamped residency affidavit and that seemed to pass muster (it took me a long time before I got around to getting the licence. )

Medical clinic recommendation: I got there and realized I forgot to get the medical clearance. I wandered back to Sukhumvit around the (new) Bang Chak BTS station (I went to District 3 headquarters of Dept of Land Transport, access road between sois 99 and 101). Found one that charged 80 baht for the signed paper. The clinic is under the Bang Chak station, even soi side, at the BTS stair closest to (west bound) direction of On Nut. A the bottom of the stair, walk away from On Nut, pass a cluster of 3 phone boxes. The clinic is less than 50 metres away, with big green crosses on the glass doors. Lady behind the desk spoke some English and knew what I wanted, filled out the form and in less than 2 minutes, I was out the door.

Hi guys, not sure if this is the correct thread but it appears to be. Around 5 weeks ago (28th July) I went to the Chiang Mai department of Land and Transport to get my Motorbike License, I've never had any form of driving license in my home country so I had to do everything from scratch. I took it in all required documents, passport copy's, proof of residence, medical certificate, passport photos etc, etc and got the license at the end of the day.

Now over the past few weeks I've decided I want to get my car driving license so I have been taking driving lessons. My driving instructor will be taking me on Friday morning to take the car driving test but he told me I need to go and complete the written test a few days before. Do I still need to do the written test/ colour test/ speed reaction test again even though I passed them only a few weeks ago? Also, what documents will I be required to take this time? Will I have to take a new letter of residency and medical certificate or will just my passport + Thai motorbike I.D be ok? Thanks in advance for your help!

Problem solved guys, I got my license yesterday. No need for you all to rush at once to answer my questions any more whistling.gif

Does anyone know if it's possible at all to use my Thai driving license to drive in England for a short 2 week trip, or will I have to wait a year to apply for an international drivers license?

I successfully renewed my 5 year DL and motorcycle licence a couple of days back. I went back to the On Nut office (area 3), but now my address is technically Samut Prakarn so I was wondering if they would make me go to that office (which is bloomin' miles away), but it wasn't an issue. I needed:

* my expired licences (the old laminated version, how old fashioned did they look by comparison to the new one?!), plus 2 copies of each

* letter from the British Embassy in English, no Thai translation needed, plus two copies

* passport, plus 2 copies of the photo page, non immigrant visa page, and latest arrival stamp / departure card

I did not need a medical certificate.

I had to do the colour vision and depth perception tests, and then sit through a 50 minute road awareness video, which had English subtitles. That was it, the fee was 1060 baht for me as renewing 2 licences (all receipted ;) ). Think it would have been 605 baht if only a car licence.

Including a quick bowl of noodles, in and out in about 2.5 hours. Lots of people, busy place. I was impressed at how foreigner friendly the process had become. Most signs had an English translation and the staff tried their best to communicate in English with me when we reached the limits of my Thai, which was often!

CC

I successfully renewed my 5 year DL and motorcycle licence a couple of days back. I went back to the On Nut office (area 3), but now my address is technically Samut Prakarn so I was wondering if they would make me go to that office (which is bloomin' miles away), but it wasn't an issue. I needed:

* my expired licences (the old laminated version, how old fashioned did they look by comparison to the new one?!), plus 2 copies of each

* letter from the British Embassy in English, no Thai translation needed, plus two copies

* passport, plus 2 copies of the photo page, non immigrant visa page, and latest arrival stamp / departure card

I did not need a medical certificate.

I had to do the colour vision and depth perception tests, and then sit through a 50 minute road awareness video, which had English subtitles. That was it, the fee was 1060 baht for me as renewing 2 licences (all receipted ;) ). Think it would have been 605 baht if only a car licence.

Including a quick bowl of noodles, in and out in about 2.5 hours. Lots of people, busy place. I was impressed at how foreigner friendly the process had become. Most signs had an English translation and the staff tried their best to communicate in English with me when we reached the limits of my Thai, which was often!

CC