Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

My question is this.

My 5 year Driving (from Morchit) is going to expire soon.

I will be in Chiang Mai for a week or so.

Can I renew it in Chiang Mai or any other places in Thailand.

My Yellow Book address is Bangkok.

Can I renew it in Chiang Mai ? Or other places in Thailand ?

Thanking you all in advance.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. I have hit a stumblimg block in changing my now expired one year to a five year liscence .

2. I was refused a letter stating residence by Phibun Immigration Office . They said I would only recieve this letter sfter I had been resident in Thailand for 90 days .

3. This a bit of a problem because I am only here for another 10 days . I am on an non O (marriage/visit family) single entry issued by Hong Kong Royal Thai Consulate .

4. Is there another letter that will satisfy the Liscencing office that I can get rather quickly ?

5. Am I able , on a non O , to request such a letter at the UK Embassy in BK ?

6. Are the local town Police able to issue such a letter ?

7. Thanks for any pointerrs and advice .

onionluke .

1. You have up to a year to change it after that you will get another 1 year license.

2. Maybe that is there ruling is there another immigration office that you can use.

3. The problem depends how long you will be gone, on return come with the same visa.

4. You have answered your question stated in 6. Yes.

5. Dunno, maybe, why not give em a ring. 1033002 & 3058333

6. Yes. biggrin.png

7. Your welcome. biggrin.png

Thanka ! If you are ever at the fat lady bar , Det Udom , the drinks on me .

hi guys,

I'll have to renew my 1 year driving license that'll expire next Wednesday. I've gone to the Songkhla Immigration Office to get the TM47 form, and they said that they don't do that and to try at my amphoe. Now that I've gone to my Amphoe, they don't know anything about such form and where I can get this Certificate of Residence.

Question, if I get myself a yellow book, can I use this instead of the certificate of residence?

Thanks in advance.

A TM47 form is a 90 day notification of address form to send to your immigration office covering your address.

It's not a certificate of address it's a letter of proof of address which you can get from your local government office or at your local police station.

Yes !! If you get a yellow book this serves as a proof of address.

This is what he needs.

res_cert.doc

hi guys,

I'll have to renew my 1 year driving license that'll expire next Wednesday. I've gone to the Songkhla Immigration Office to get the TM47 form, and they said that they don't do that and to try at my amphoe. Now that I've gone to my Amphoe, they don't know anything about such form and where I can get this Certificate of Residence.

Question, if I get myself a yellow book, can I use this instead of the certificate of residence?

Thanks in advance.

A TM47 form is a 90 day notification of address form to send to your immigration office covering your address.

It's not a certificate of address it's a letter of proof of address which you can get from your local government office or at your local police station.

This is what he needs.

res_cert.doc

Yellow book also works.

hi guys,

Thanks in advance.

This is what he needs.

res_cert.doc

Can someone clarify for me how I get a certificate of address then? I went to Chaeng Wattana immigration and after being passed from person to person I was told by a supervisor to go to my embassy. What is the exact process, what do I need and where do I go? I am in Bangkok.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I don't want to read back through 30 odd pages to get the answer.

Cheers,

'LL'

Edited by LucidLucifer

hi guys,

Thanks in advance.

This is what he needs.

res_cert.doc

Can someone clarify for me how I get a certificate of address then? I went to Chaeng Wattana immigration and after being passed from person to person I was told by a supervisor to go to my embassy. What is the exact process, what do I need and where do I go? I am in Bangkok.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I don't want to read back through 30 odd pages to get the answer.

Cheers,

'LL'

Never heard of certificate of address, before I got my yellow house book I got a letter of proof of address from my local government office or at my local police station.

Maybe best to ask or PM " rgs2001uk " it might be " This is what he needs " but where do you get the bloody thing from.biggrin.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Thanks for the reply Kwasaki.

I thought I'd update on what I've done over the last couple of days, it might be helpful to someone out there.

Using the form in the link above by rgs2001uk (thanks, very useful) I took it to the government one stop immigration and employment place in Patumwan. I needed to go there anyway for a visa extension.

They needed the form and the usual copies of my passport and visa pages. I had to wait about 20 minutes extra for this (after a 3 + hour wait for the visa extension) but the letter was issued hassle free and for no charge. This was despite being told a definite 'no' by the supervisor at Chaeng Wattana, and being told to go to the embassy. The contast in service and helpfulness between the two places is enormous.

Anyway, armed with that, doctors certificate (100thb), copies of everything, UK and international license I went to the licensing place in Nong Chok this morning. I arrived at 7.30 and it was already quite busy, so I'd definitely advise to get there early.

The people there were extremely friendly and helpful. It was the international license they seemed more interested in, but after about a 30 minute wait I was called in to take a couple of tests. The first was a colour blindness test which involved indentifying colours on a traffic light kind of thing, it took about 20 seconds. The second was a reaction test which involved pressing an accelerator and then braking when the light turned from green to red. All very easy.

It was then back downstairs to queue for the issue of the license, which took about another 30 minutes, cost 205thb.

All in all I was there about an hour and a half.

The only downside of the whole experience was they wouldn't issue me with a bike license as I did not have a bike endorsement on my international license. I've got to go back and do the test for that, but fair enough.

I imagine most people on here that have had to deal with Thai bureaucracy have had troubles somewhere along the line; today was quite the opposite, hats off to them.

Edited by LucidLucifer

The contast in service and helpfulness between the two places is enormous.

It was the international license they seemed more interested in,

The only downside of the whole experience was they wouldn't issue me with a bike license as I did not have a bike endorsement on my international license. I've got to go back and do the test for that, but fair enough.

I imagine most people on here that have had to deal with Thai bureaucracy have had troubles somewhere along the line; today was quite the opposite, hats off to them.

Glad you got your car license anyhow, if you have motorcycle on your UK photo card license then you should get a Thai motorcycle license, the problem as I see it, was, by motorcycle not being on the international drivers permit.

I have never needed an IDP in Thailand having a UK valid driving license, your experience of them being interested in the IDP, I would say aroused suspicion & of course confusion, so they took more notice of the IDP than your valid UK one.

Hope this helps someone. Here is my experience today. I have a Non-Immigrant O Visa, first time going in for a license.

I went to the Department of Land Transportation for Area 3, which covers the districts: Prakhanong, Pravate, Suan luang, Klong toey and Wattana. I took the BTS to Bang Chak. Walk out exit 3 going in the same direction as traffic for approximately 115 meters. There will be a LONG driveway on the left. Moto taxis are available if you don't want to walk. Go to the end of the drive, the office is to the left of the parking lot. All signage inside is in Thai except one sign that says "One Stop Window". By the way, I do not read or speak Thai. I asked the lady in English where I go to get the forms for a car and a motorcycle license. With a questioning look, she sent me to window 9. The lady there spoke no English but via hand jestures we communicated and she motioned me to window 10. The lady there spoke a FEW words of English and was preturbed I didn't speak Thai, but she was helpful. She gave me two applications to sign and double checked to make sure I had all of my supporting documents. I was applying for two licenses (car and motorcycle), hence the duplicates of everything. I gave her my original Passport, two copies each of the first page of my passport; the page with my visa; the page with my latest entry stamp; my TM card (Departure Card); a letter from the US Embassy establishing my residence address (the original and one photocopy); the Doctor's Certificate (the original and one photocopy); my original International Drivers License; two copies of main page and two copies showing the translation. No pictures are needed as they take a picture of you at the time the license is issued. She told me to sit and wait. Eight minutes later, she called me to the counter (I waited where I could watch her). She gave me back all of the forms I gave her plus a couple of extras already filled out. Remember, I only SIGNED the applications and did NOT fill in any spaces or answer any questions. She did it for me. She motioned me to wait at room 16. This is where you take your three physical tests... reflex test, depth perception test, and color blind test. I got there while the instructors were at lunch, so I had to wait 18 minutes before they came back. There was another group before me, so I had to wait and watch a movie in Thai that explains the three tests. Watching the video gives you the general idea of what is expected. I waited 20 more minutes, took my tests, got my forms checked and signed off and was told to go to window 18, the One Stop window. There I was told to sign both of the forms as directed and put my phone number on them. I was assigned a number. I waited 20 minutes while my number was in que. I went to the assigned desk as shown on the overhead monitor where all of the paperwork was rechecked and verified. My picture was taken, I paid 360 baht total for the licenses and they were issued on the spot. Total time was under an hour and a half and total English words spoken were under ten. They spoke a bunch of Thai, but I just looked stupid and that seemed to work for me. Everyone was cordial, not really friendly but I have no complaints.

• 2 weeks later...

First Hand Report over the last 2 days: Had to get my 1yr drivers license and do the whole test etc.

Went to the Land Department next to JJ Market expecting it to be done in 1 day. WRONG. Because some hiso pooying got hers in one day late last year and proceeded to go out that night and crash her car into a bus and kill 8 people, it was explained to me that the process is done over 2 days now.

Day 1, submit forms and do simple physical test between 8-9 am.

10am - Noon, Read a book of road signs etc and watch a video for an hour.

1pm: Go back to the same room and re-read the same book for an hour, then watch a different video for an hour. This concludes at 3pm.

3pm - 4pm: Do the computer test of questions (30). Doesn't take an hour by any means. Take your time and re-read your answers.

After you pass this: they hand you back your passport and some form and tell you to report to the Driving Test area the next morning (or a later date). They say 9 am. I got there at 8am and it was a good thing if you are in a hurry to get back to work. Cued up etc. Got some more forms. Watch another video. Shortly thereafter they start calling out the numbers.

Around 930am got my number called. Got the car they provide (100 Baht) and cued up. All good till got to the parallel parking part. Lady there said I wasn't far enough in blah blah etc, and I said no where on the instruction sheet does it say you have to be so far in, just parallel. After more debate and line backing up she asked me to pull out. She said ok, gave me my paper back and drove around to the next stop sign, Stopped, a little flustered from the previous event I didnt check to see if I was on the yellow line next to the curb. Apparently I was or the lady didnt want to get into another argument with me after seeing no doubt the previous one from afar. She said ok you passed. Drove around to the starting point. Got out and lady said ok, you passed. Headed back upstairs to the 2nd floor. Within 5 mins got my license.

Learnings: Do plan on a 1.5 day process. Do take some reading material. Do read their book of signs (once), there are a few tricky questions. Practice your parallel parking into tight spots. Do take photocopies of our pp and wp or get the gal their on the 2nd floor to do it. She knows what pages they need. PS, no handouts were requested even by the power hungry gal at parking station ;) Dress nice. I have a meeting later today so I am dressed for it. Not saying it made a difference but having a farang dressed for office arguing - debating in the parking area the misgivings of their instructions looks different that one in sandles and a tank-top. It's not who you know, it's who they think you may know.

Hi had a mixed experience today...

I headed out to Bangkunthien to get my car amd motorbike license today. I had all forms in hand in duplicate + an expired UK driving license. I used my work permit instead of the letter from the embassy and it worked a charm. I took the lease agreement for my condo along for proof of address but wasnt asked to show it.

I managed to convince them that the UK license expired in 2045 so no theory or driving test required. Just the basic colour, depth perception and reaction test. I was dreading the colour test as I am colour blind (cant see the numbers in half of the ishihara tests) but this was a simple exercise of the guy pointing and me saying what colour was being pointed at. He would only point at three colours and I could tell by the shading which was which so no worries there.

All in all I managed to get my driving license done and dusted within 90 minutes (no long videos to watch).

Getting my motorbike license was a different matter though. Because my UK license didn't cover bikes I needed to go through the full test. I managed to convince them not to send me through the colour/reaction/perception test after pointing out I had only just done it - showing them my minty fresh car driving license. I was however required to do the theory test... and this is where I came into trouble. There were no materials for me to learn what the correct answers may be so i had to essentially try and use common sense, which as many of you are aware, only gets you so far in Thailand! I scored 20 and then retook the test immediately and got 21. Both fails. I think the minimum score is 23 but I was sent packing with a form that short cuts me to the theory test again tomorrow.

I am keen to do it but without any way of figuring out what the answers might be it is going to be a case of going back and forth until I get 23 or more.

Any suggestions where i might find something to help me with that?

1. You have up to a year to change it after that you will get another 1 year license.

Nah, if the temporary license (1 yr) has expired for more than 1 yr you need to do the theory and practical tests. they will still give the full license (5yr).

Sure.

Here you go:

http: //apps.dlt.go.th/driving_hp/Elearning/E-Learning2.swf

Sorry, for some weird reason the forum is coding my link. Try answering with "quote" to my post, and you should be able to copy-paste the link.

Nah, if the temporary license (1 yr) has expired for more than 1 yr you need to do the theory and practical tests. they will still give the full license (5yr).

Yep maybe !! I think though yet another example of DLT's doing different things throughout Thailand.

Am I correct that if you have a driver's license from your home country that is in English (US in my case), you do not need a translation certified by your embassy?

As long as your US drivers license shows the categories you are entitled to drive there should be no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been addressed already. I did skim the last five or so pages an did not see my question addressed. I have a valid US drivers license with motorcycle endorsement. I also have an international drivers permit. I visit the Los frequently with my thai wife and son. I would like to apply for a Thai dl this trip. I will be on a 90 multi entry visa for family visitation. Not sure of the type of visa. Maybe tourist? Maybe i should appky for a certain type of visa from te Thai embassy this time? Anyway, can I get this dl using this type of visa? And how can I get residency documentation? Do I use my wife family home address? I read on one of the forums that it is advisable to get a thai dl when here for extended periods. I rent cars and motorbike frequently while here. I also plan to retire here in another five years. Any help or guidance would be great.

I just wasted a whole day trying to get a residency permit in Bangkok from Immigration (as I have had about 4 before from Chiang Mai immigration but Bangkok is apparently different).

Unless you have previously done a 90 day report submission, you cannot get a residency certificate from Immigration, you have to get it from your embassy (you can use your embassy anyway even if you have already done the 90 day reporting too). Wish I had of known as immigration is a fair way is you live on the west side of Bangkok.

So go to your embassy, for Aus, just get a signed and verified stat dec with your address on it. Took 5 minutes as well, not the day/s wait at immigration for them to do it.

My question is this.

This post will be to late to assist you Kismet but it may be of help to others in the same situation.

My 1 year licence was due to expire at the end of this month, my yellow book address is in Phetchaburi. I have just got my 5 year licence from the very efficient and friendly office in NST, they told me that you can apply for new licences up to 60 days before the old one expires. When I checked my new licence I noticed that the the 'Issue Date' was post dated to the day after my old licence expired when I queried this they said it was fine and OK to use immediately.

My question is this.

This post will be to late to assist you Kismet but it may be of help to others in the same situation.

My 1 year licence was due to expire at the end of this month, my yellow book address is in Phetchaburi. I have just got my 5 year licence from the very efficient and friendly office in NST, they told me that you can apply for new licences up to 60 days before the old one expires. When I checked my new licence I noticed that the the 'Issue Date' was post dated to the day after my old licence expired when I queried this they said it was fine and OK to use immediately.

And how long is it valid? When you renew after expiry date (so e.g. day after your birthday) you get 5 years plus time till next birthday, so effectively 6 years).

My question is this.

And how long is it valid? When you renew after expiry date (so e.g. day after your birthday) you get 5 years plus time till next birthday, so effectively 6 years).

That's correct I have until March 2018

• 2 weeks later...

I am about to renew my 1 year temporary driving license.

Will I get a 5 year license with a 90 days non immigrant O visa, or do I need a retirement extention?

The place I will use is Pattaya/Banglamung.

J!!!

You should have no problem getting a 5 year license in Pattaya on a 90 non-imm O.

I’ve renewed my 5 year licenses there twice on 90 day permission to stay, once on a B-visa and once an O.