Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

I'm not sure if this is 100% the right place to ask this, but I feel guilty starting a new thread for it...

I have a motorcycle (I know i know wrong forum) and a 1 yr temp motorcycle license here, and when I bought the bike and got my license I used my work permit as the address confirmation thing. But I'm going to be done working soon, the work permit will be taken away, and then I'll, by paper, be a tourist...

What happens if I try and renew my license or sell my bike? They'll need a copy, right? But will they know it's revoked/will it still be valid for those purposes? Could I get away with it and hope they don't notice, esp. if the expiry date on the WP is still in the future?

My first question to you would be how long are you going to be a tourist for, and are you planning to stay in Thailand or what ???

Hard to tell, I'm gonna bum around for a bit, and there are a couple of job opps here for me but I might move elsewhere. I guess what I'd like to address is worst-case scenario, ie. me here on a 60-day tourist visa, and not going to stay, thus needing to sell the bike without WP.

Dunno really about your situation but I guess a visit to your local DLT would be a good call and ask them what you will need to sell your bike, if the bike book is in your name I can't see it being a problem to sell.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all,

My temporary 1 year Thai Driving Licence is due to expire on 18th October 2013 so I went to the local DLT (on 20th September) to enquire as to when I could apply for the 5 year licence as I had read on here that the old licence needed to have expired before applying for a 5 year one.

The nice young lady behind the counter said that I could apply at any time up to 2 months before the existing licence expires and within 6 months afterwards(?). So the next day, with slight trepidation and armed with all the necessary paperwork and standard fee I went back. Within 20 minutes I was walking out with a brand new 5 year licence which expires on my birthday in January 2019. I still have to keep my 1 year licence as the new one doesn't start until 19th October.

All I had to do was the colour blind test and nothing else.

Very efficient and very surprised but this is Nakhon Phanom and I have to say the same about their Immigration Office - always polite and never any hassle.

thus needing to sell the bike without WP.

You don't need a work permit to sell a vehicle.

To renew your licence or sell the bike you ( in most cases ) go to immigration and ask for a "certificate of residence"

in some provinces the police will issue this document in others they send you to your embasy.

Depends which province you live in.

Edited by johng

I have to renew my 1 year temporary license into a proper 5 year license. I'm here on retirement visa in Bangkok and the transport office is in Mo Chit.

Just a quick check about the documents necessary. I have done the application procedure last year, so I guess it is similar this year.

1. Do I need a residence certificate from immigration again? My address has not changed.

2. Do I need a doctor's certificate?

3. Do I have to take the eye tests again?

Thanks your your replies!

Edited by GreenSnapper

thus needing to sell the bike without WP.

You don't need a work permit to sell a vehicle.

To renew your licence or sell the bike you ( in most cases ) go to immigration and ask for a "certificate of residence"

in some provinces the police will issue this document in others they send you to your embasy.

Depends which province you live in.

To sell your bike in Chonburi district, you do need a certificate of residence. (I was shocked too.) To renew the licence, same thing. You could get it from your embassy instead, although that will cost 10 times more (Canada) than from immigration.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

I have just come back from the Mor Chit office where I renewed my five year license. It took 2.5 hours, I had to show:

Copy of my visa (Non Immigrant O)

Copy of my passport

Copy of my drivers licence

Also had to have my original drivers license with me

Original Passport

No need for a medical cert, like the earlier poster on the previous page, I did not have one and and was not asked for one. Seems they are superfluous now.

I have just come back from the Mor Chit office where I renewed my five year license. It took 2.5 hours, I had to show:

Copy of my visa (Non Immigrant O)

Copy of my passport

Copy of my drivers licence

Also had to have my original drivers license with me

Original Passport

No need for a medical cert, like the earlier poster on the previous page, I did not have one and and was not asked for one. Seems they are superfluous now.

Superfluous Ok but not really true, " Ain't needed " would do. laugh.png

IMO Find your nearest DLT to you.

http://driving-in-thailand.com/land-transport-offices-in-thailand/

You can telephone or visit first is usually best.

As posted many times in thread, DLT offices throughout Thailand have different requirements and they sometimes change them whenever they want, maybe its to do with what side of the bed the boss got out of or whose that particular morning. laugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRteka.png

I obtained my one year Thai Driving License sometime this year with a Non-B visa valid for three months together with other relevant documents. When due for renewal for 5-year license, do I need a Non-B visa to renew it or a 3-month Tourist visa will do?

Side track a little, I got a fine ticket for illegal parking on a side road and I didn't see any fine indicated on the ticket. How much is the fine and where can I pay it? DLT? Any implication on future renewal of license?

As posted many times in thread, DLT offices throughout Thailand have different requirements and they sometimes change them whenever they want, maybe its to do with what side of the bed the boss got out of or whose that particular morning. laugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRteka.png

... ain't that the truth.

I was denied a 1 year licence, because the Immigration Office wouldn't issue me a residency certificate because I had 'only' a Tourist Visa ... though have read of many places there it's a common occurrence to receive same with a Tourist Visa.

I obtained my one year Thai Driving License sometime this year with a Non-B visa valid for three months together with other relevant documents. When due for renewal for 5-year license, do I need a Non-B visa to renew it or a 3-month Tourist visa will do?

Side track a little, I got a fine ticket for illegal parking on a side road and I didn't see any fine indicated on the ticket. How much is the fine and where can I pay it? DLT? Any implication on future renewal of license?

Confirmed as stevie boy said non-imm visa for 5 year but yet again TiT.

The fine is usually 200 baht but going to the police and them seeing a frangie they may well want 400 baht, take a Thai partner to do the arguing. thumbsup.gif

Fines are not usually implicated to renewal of licencing but I have heard about being caught speeding more than 3 times can be a problem, dunno for sure.

I was denied a 1 year licence, because the Immigration Office wouldn't issue me a residency certificate because I had 'only' a Tourist Visa ... though have read of many places there it's a common occurrence to receive same with a Tourist Visa.

As I may of said at sometime a letter from your local police station comfirming the address of where you are staying will usually suffice for residency issues. smile.png

Ans again posted before ring up the DLT where ever you are and ask them.

http://driving-in-th...es-in-thailand/

And yes many places will do anything for some donated money. whistling.gif

Edited by Kwasaki

Fines are not usually implicated to renewal of licencing but I have heard about being caught speeding more than 3 times can be a problem, dunno for sure.

That would require the DLT to have that information, and access it as well.

Even if they were to have it, which I seriously doubt, I don't see them checking the status for all applicants.

That would require the DLT to have that information, and access it as well.

Even if they were to have it, which I seriously doubt, I don't see them checking the status for all applicants.

Thailand as of now yes but cameras are here already computers upgrades will be on there way for sure I guess, money, money, money is what I want, give me your money. Beatles as I remember. laugh.png

As I may of said at sometime a letter from your local police station comfirming the address of where you are staying will usually suffice for residency issues. smile.png

Ans again posted before ring up the DLT where ever you are and ask them.

http://driving-in-th...es-in-thailand/

And yes many places will do anything for some donated money. whistling.gif

Unfortunately that wouldn't work ... they were 'by the book' type of folk ... seriously.

But a mute argument now, I returned earlier this year with an 'O' Visa and now the proud owner of both a bike and car 1 year licences. they even made me look good in the licence photo ... a miracle!

OH ... I did my stuff at Samut Prakan ... which is sort of next to Bangkok.

Can anyone tell me what documents the local police station will want to see, in order for them to produce a confirmation of address thing-a-me-jig?

Can anyone tell me what documents the local police station will want to see, in order for them to produce a confirmation of address thing-a-me-jig?

No, no one can tell you. Just take what you can find (electricity bill, rental contract, your wife) and hope they accept.

I use to get a letter confirming my address of stay many times from the local police station every year before I got my yellow book.

My Thai wife and I use to go to local police station with just her ID and her blue house book and simply tell them what the letter from them to confirm where I lived is for.

Sometimes they excepted the 200 bahts offered and sometimes not. smile.png

If someone has not got a partner, your landlord or a Thai friend who lives near you could help with this.

No, no one can tell you. Just take what you can find (electricity bill, rental contract, your wife) and hope they accept.
Thanks. And what about at Immigration? Is it as vague, or is there a set list of required documents?

Thanks. And what about at Immigration? Is it as vague, or is there a set list of required documents?

I have never asked my immigration office for a letter of confirmation of address of stay.

The letter I use to get from the local police was for immigration when applying for my annual 1 year marriage extension.

Never needed one for licence application renewals. smile.png

Took everything i could and got nowhere. First of all the copper said that he needed to see my name in the Blue Tabien Bahn book to do the document. Seems to me that if my name was in the Tabien Bahn book, i wouldn't need the document from him in the first place. Then he changed tacks and said i needed a different sort of blue book. He showed me someone elses copy, who was clearly Asian. Had a photo at the front and quite a lot of hand written entries throughout the book. My guess was some sort of alien registration book that migrant workers from Mynmar have to have. Never heard or seen Westerners having such a thing.

Looks like i'll have to have a stab at trying to get the document from Immigration. Can anyone tell me what they are likely to want to see from me?

Took everything i could and got nowhere. First of all the copper said that he needed to see my name in the Blue Tabien Bahn book to do the document. Seems to me that if my name was in the Tabien Bahn book, i wouldn't need the document from him in the first place. Then he changed tacks and said i needed a different sort of blue book. He showed me someone elses copy, who was clearly Asian. Had a photo at the front and quite a lot of hand written entries throughout the book. My guess was some sort of alien registration book that migrant workers from Mynmar have to have. Never heard or seen Westerners having such a thing.

Looks like i'll have to have a stab at trying to get the document from Immigration. Can anyone tell me what they are likely to want to see from me?

Sounds like you are trying to this on your own. ??

I have just mentioned this to my mrs and she said sounds like the policeman has no idea of what you wanted or couldn't be bothered more like and a farang cannot be put in the house blue book.

She also said she does not really understand why you cannot get a letter confirming your address of where you live.

The local government office nearest to where you live should give you a letter comfirming your address of stay she said and it should be no problem at all at immigration if your reporting every 90 days.

I am a little confused as to what your situation is as you wrote you took everything you had to the police station, so what was it. ?? Regards K.

Sounds like you are trying to this on your own. ??

I have just mentioned this to my mrs and she said sounds like the policeman has no idea of what you wanted or couldn't be bothered more like and a farang cannot be put in the house blue book.

She also said she does not really understand why you cannot get a letter confirming your address of where you live.

The local government office nearest to where you live should give you a letter comfirming your address of stay she said and it should be no problem at all at immigration if your reporting every 90 days.

I am a little confused as to what your situation is as you wrote you took everything you had to the police station, so what was it. ?? Regards K.

Thanks K.

Yes i did do it solo. My Thai is pretty ok and the other half was indisposed, so i thought i could handle it... as much as anyone can handle nonsensical government bureaucracy here!

I think your mrs is quite right about the policeman. I think he was just winging it. Frustrates me why they can't just say, "i'm sorry, i don't know what the procedure is, let me get on the bell to someone who deals with this sort of stuff and get back to you". Anyway, i took utility bills, marriage certificate inc. translation, passports and blue tabien bahn book, but i don't think whatever i had taken would have mad much difference, as he really didn't look at it. He just saw that my name wasn't in the blue book and that seemed to be all he was interested in.

Thanks for the tip about my local government office being able to do a letter. I'll either visit them, or go to the Immigration office. Sounds like Immigration might be easier in the sense that they are used to dealing with farangs. Just like to know what i need to take. I'm currently on a Non Imm O multi entry, so not doing the 90 reporting thing at the moment.

One further option i thought of would be to use the documents from a condo i own. Don't live in it but wonder whether it might be easier to go to the nearest police station to the condo and ask them to do one. I assume that would mean, as i own it myself, that my other half is no longer a part of the equation, and they wouldn't need to see her or her documents? Correct?

quote " i thought of would be to use the documents from a condo i own " unquote.

Don't know my wife owns everything except 50% of my Versys. laugh.pngbiggrin.png

If your name and address is on the document of a condo, I would say that is all you need as confirmation of address and no letter would be required, maybe someone else could could chip in and confirm that.

quote " i thought of would be to use the documents from a condo i own " unquote.

Don't know my wife owns everything except 50% of my Versys. laugh.pngbiggrin.png

If your name and address is on the document of a condo, I would say that is all you need as confirmation of address and no letter would be required, maybe someone else could could chip in and confirm that.

Thanks again K.

Wonder though whether the fact that the address on my existing soon to expire license, will not be the same as the address of my condo, will mean they require more than simply condo ownership documents... whether they'll want some sort of proof not only that i own it, but that i live there.

The more i think about it, the easier i think it will be just to visit Immigration. Can anyone confirm what documents i need. I think someone mentioned utility bills. Enough? Obviously i'll take everything i have, just don't want to get there and get turned away for something silly, which is usually what happens.

Thanks again K.

Wonder though whether the fact that the address on my existing soon to expire license, will not be the same as the address of my condo, will mean they require more than simply condo ownership documents... whether they'll want some sort of proof not only that i own it, but that i live there.

The more i think about it, the easier i think it will be just to visit Immigration. Can anyone confirm what documents i need. I think someone mentioned utility bills. Enough? Obviously i'll take everything i have, just don't want to get there and get turned away for something silly, which is usually what happens.

Personally I would just go along first to your local DLT with all your stuff and ask them what else do you need for when you come to renew your existing licence.

I just went to my local police station and got a certificate of residence ...no cost. This was accepted at my local DLC no problem.

Probably been said before; go to your local DLC first and ask them exactly what you need, as always, each centre normally differs in the requirements to fulfil, a lot easier than turning up and being sent away for something else.

OK, well now i have been to Immigration, to my local town hall, and to my local police station, and none of those places were able to give me the certificate of residence document, variously citing the fact that i didn't have my name in the blue tabien bahn book, that i didn't have a Thai ID card and that i didn't have a Non Imm B visa. Kind of strikes me that if i did have any of those things, why would i need this certificate of residence thingy? I don't think i would.

Anyway, down to two options now. One is to go to my embassy - not sure what docs they require, but do know they charge an arm and a leg - and two, is to pay under the table to a local neighbour who works at Immigration, and who says she can get one for me as easy as pie. Don't really like either option. All seems such a nightmare. Not trying to anything illegal, or anything that out of the ordinary, just get reissued a darn driving license. The bureaucracy drives me crazy. Not just that there are rules for the sake of rules, but the fact that you can speak to two different people in the same government department and get two completely different answers.