Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

Folks, I got a 1-yr licence back in 2009, then never got it renewed (I haven't had access to a car since then, and when the renewal was up, well the red shirts had closed every down in May 2010/11? Can't remember). Anyways, now the Yellows are out closing everywhere down too, and I've just bought a Honda Jazz, so I need to go back up to the Mor Chit and get a new licence.

OK, so here's the question: should I pull out the old 1-year one and try for a 5yr renewal (bearing in mind it's been expired for a couple of years), or should I just start afresh and not even mention that I had a 1-yr one before?

Any thoughts welcome. Cheers. :)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Folks, I got a 1-yr licence back in 2009, then never got it renewed (I haven't had access to a car since then, and when the renewal was up, well the red shirts had closed every down in May 2010/11? Can't remember). Anyways, now the Yellows are out closing everywhere down too, and I've just bought a Honda Jazz, so I need to go back up to the Mor Chit and get a new licence. OK, so here's the question: should I pull out the old 1-year one and try for a 5yr renewal (bearing in mind it's been expired for a couple of years), or should I just start afresh and not even mention that I had a 1-yr one before? Any thoughts welcome. Cheers. smile.png

I doubt if you will get a 5 year licence but you never know, I would think there is no harm in showing your old 1 year licence though.

My motorcycle license expires in about three weeks, but it will be convenient for me to renew it this week (I'll be in the Amphur for other reasons).

I'm on a non-O visa and have a work permit.

What documents do I need to bring along with me?

Thanks.

As said previous but go there and ask first if it is convenient, not every DLT is the same, they may want other stuff, they are not allowed to eat you. biggrin.png

At PattayaTransport Center

At 4 dec. changed my expiered 1 year tempory licence for a 5 years licence (motorbike & car ) providing Int licence, national lic , Thai expiered licenses , healt & residence certificates , and for each licence a set of copy's as normaly requested . Also my pasport with type O visa 1 year multiple entry.

Strange but i received ALL the copy's back and they only kept the originals ....!!.T.I.T

Only had to do colour test and break test (may only use your right foot .....!!! ) and the depht sight test .

Total time approx 2,5 hour , cost for the 2 five years licences 1060 bht total

Also no need for doc./ lease or elses at immigration for the residence certificate because showing the old 1 year licence (?....! )

Edited by david555

• 4 weeks later...

In Bang Khun Thien (Bangkok) no photos are required. They use digital photography so if you got your license from there previously, they'll have it stored. For renewal (non-O status) the usual passport pages, recent medical certificate, depth perception, color, and reaction tests required. New license is 205 baht.

I'm just about to renew my first 5 year DL.

Do I need to do this before the current one runs out or after it has expired (like when replacing the 1 year for a 5 year)?

I'm assuming I need address and medical certificates - anything else?

I just did mine ... my license ran out last Saturday (my birthday), on Monday I took my Yellow Book and Copy, my Passport and copy plus my old license. Had to sit through the 1Hr film, do the eyesight and reaction tests and then was given a new license valid for 6 years less two days.

Good to know, my 5-yr renewal is approaching soon: No medical form??

Uk photo card is enough to get license just need to do color test and reaction test plus for first license need address letter from immigration and a medical which can normally be purchased outside the license building for 50 baht, they will give you car and motorcycle if you have that on your uk license.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I'm just about to renew my first 5 year DL.

Do I need to do this before the current one runs out or after it has expired (like when replacing the 1 year for a 5 year)?

I'm assuming I need address and medical certificates - anything else?

I just did mine ... my license ran out last Saturday (my birthday), on Monday I took my Yellow Book and Copy, my Passport and copy plus my old license. Had to sit through the 1Hr film, do the eyesight and reaction tests and then was given a new license valid for 6 years less two days.
Good to know, my 5-yr renewal is approaching soon: No medical form??
No, no medical form... just what I stated ... did you pick up the bit about renewing the day AFTER your birthday as you then get the extra year BUT don't risk diving when your license has expired.

Has anyone recently renewed an expired thai drivers licence?

Mine expired june 2012 and I want to get it renewed. Are the requirements the same as a new application:

- photocopies of relevant docs

- take my home Drivers licence and Int driving permit and expired licences

- health certificate?

- passport

- cash

Is that it? Im applying in a new province now. Does that pose any problems?

Im staying a hotel now looking for a house to rent. Do I need proof of residency or whatever? Or should I be waiting until I sign a new lease agreement?

many thanks

Has anyone recently renewed an expired thai drivers licence?

Mine expired june 2012 and I want to get it renewed. Are the requirements the same as a new application:

- photocopies of relevant docs

- take my home Drivers licence and Int driving permit and expired licences

- health certificate?

- passport

- cash

Is that it? Im applying in a new province now. Does that pose any problems?

Im staying a hotel now looking for a house to rent. Do I need proof of residency or whatever? Or should I be waiting until I sign a new lease agreement?

many thanks

Go to your nearest DLT and ask.

Ref:- post #1151

• 2 weeks later...

I have already been to immigration to get my certificate of residence,but the Toyota garage said they had to keep the original, so I'm now left with a photo copy.

Planning to get my 1 year drivers licence next week, will the photo copy of the certificate of residence be OK, or will I have to back to immigration and get another one so I can present an original?

Thank you for your help

I have already been to immigration to get my certificate of residence,but the Toyota garage said they had to keep the original, so I'm now left with a photo copy.

Planning to get my 1 year drivers licence next week, will the photo copy of the certificate of residence be OK, or will I have to back to immigration and get another one so I can present an original?

Thank you for your help

Difficult to answer this it depends on the DLT you use the only way you will find out is to go there.

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow up to my post yesterday. I went to my local Amphur today and got my letter confirming residence at my wifes house. We saw the second in command and explained that we had previously been refused the neccessary letter. He immediately arranged for someone else to type out the letter for me which was great. Not so great was the 90 minute wait whilst we had to wait for statements from my wife and father in law to say that 'yes I really did live at their house'.

These statements were hand written and included when and where I met my wife and dates of previous stays in Thailand. Oh well, at least I got my letter.

Thus armed it was off to the local Dept of Land and Transport. Arrived at 3.30, waited in line and presented my documents whereupon I was told that contrary to what I was told yesterday and to what is listed in the second post of this thread that I now needed a doctors note.

Well by now it was too late to nip into town and get the said note so I guess that I will now finally get my 5 year license tomorrow unless they can think of some other document I need.

It is frustrating that there are no fixed rules as to what documents are required, or if there are that they are not followed, even in the same office from year to year.

Last week a mate of mine was told he needed a medical cert' , along with the famous 'letter', all while being on a retirement visa. I'd never heard of this before, but figured it might be related to his age [fit/younger looking 68]???

Mate, a few months back I went for my 3rd licence (1+5+...5, or so I was expecting). Super long story short, they initially said I can't get one on a TV. Eventually the head-poncho relented, but told me by law they can only issue a 1yr because I was on a TV. Always prepared for the unexpected here, I produced my soon-to-expire 5yr licence (issued to me on a TV) along with a whole host of evidence that I've lived here 14 years, and am only here on a TV coz I'm too young for a retirement type, and not currently working. Still, with proof of ownership of car, bike, bank accounts, previous licences, etc...they only issued a 1yr! Oh, and for the first time ever, I had to take a retarded test!!! Seeing this video, clearly explained why these guys drive like they do.

I feel your pain, and good luck!

Thank you for your help

In my experience they will always tell you the doc needs to be the original. However, last year, after all these years of frustratingly following the [lost] pied-piper, I stood firmer on all this wasted money/time and appealed to them to accept a copy. I actually used the copy 3 times in the space of 3 months to get new licence, transfer my bike to new owner, and the same again to transfer the car to new owner.

Now heading off, so no need to get further frustrated by things here.

Grateful if you can advise on how to go about getting a Thai driver's licence to use. I am based in Bangkok hold a permanent DL from a developing country. I am assuming, possibly wrongly, that different rules apply those who have one from the western/developed world. Many thanks.

Grateful if you can advise on how to go about getting a Thai driver's licence to use. I am based in Bangkok hold a permanent DL from a developing country. I am assuming, possibly wrongly, that different rules apply those who have one from the western/developed world. Many thanks.

Most DLT's will give you a Thai driving licence if your original valid existing driving licence from your own country has a photo and has written English about what vehicle's you are permited to drive.

That said some countries still require a International Driving Permit from your own Country of origin.

Frankly the only way to find out what you need and as said on here many times DLT's throughout Thailand provinces and area locations carry out their procedures in different ways, so always best to go along to your nearest and ask what you need.

http://driving-in-thailand.com/land-transport-offices-in-thailand/

Goodluck and don't worry they won't eat you.biggrin.png

• 2 weeks later...

I got a car licence but when I was there the woman said "only car?" which I confirmed but I later realised I could have also got a motorcycle licence as that is on my UK licence. Can you get a single card with both car and motorcycle licence? I haven't found any information about this online.

I just received my O visa here in Ireland. I plan to apply for a Thai license do I need my name on the house book? Or can I with my passport

and visa and Irish license apply for one. We have a home in rural Thailand so they would not see too many falangs. Thanks in advance for the

help.

I just received my O visa here in Ireland. I plan to apply for a Thai license do I need my name on the house book? Or can I with my passport

and visa and Irish license apply for one. We have a home in rural Thailand so they would not see too many falangs. Thanks in advance for the

help.

In addition to passport, visa and Irish license you'll need either residence certificate, workpermit or yellow housebook.

Thanks for the info steveni. Can I get my name on the house book with an non em.O visa?

No ... you can't get your name in the Blue Book ...but you can have a Yellow Book ... do a site search on Yellow Book but be aware that the rules for obtaining appear different for every Amphoe (TIT) so you will have to go and ask what they want.

Thanks JAS21 . I will be applying in a fairly rural area in south Thailand. My wifes uncle is a Poo ya bann village head so I am sure he can

get me on a yellow book. But I was not sure if only having a O visa entitled me that as it will be a few months before I will have the money in

place to look for a retirement visa. Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks JAS21 . I will be applying in a fairly rural area in south Thailand. My wifes uncle is a Poo ya bann village head so I am sure he can

get me on a yellow book. But I was not sure if only having a O visa entitled me that as it will be a few months before I will have the money in

place to look for a retirement visa. Thanks again for the advice.

You need more than one person normally to acquire a yellow book, and be legally married and have a marriage visa in place or a retirement visa first before appyling..

Frankly you are looking too far ahead IMO, you can get your Thai driving licenses reasonable easy to enable you to drive by going through the motions with your local DLT.

Just take it step by step and your be OK, no worries.smile.png