Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

I know this has been answered at least once in this thread but it's a very long thread and I don't want to read 1385+ replies.

Can anyone confirm that there is a one year period from expiration of one year license to apply for five year license?

My one year expires June 6 and I wont be in Thailand until the middle of July.

I think you will find the answer in this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/805422-question-on-extending-1-year-license/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So to get a 1 year car licence in Pattaya i need:

Copy and original of passport and visa

Residence certificate from immigration

Medical certificate

Valid IDL licence

And as i understand it i do not have to do that written test as i have a valid IDL?

Did i miss something?

I would take your proper driving licence too as well as IDL helps ( a lot ) if driving licence is in English and has your photo on it.

You'll have to fill in a form at the DLT and I would get there early too.

thai license Checklist.pdf

I just renew my UK passport.... my question is did I need to change my five years driver licence ( issued on Sept. 2014 ) because of the new passport number?

Theoretically I think you do but I have also just changed mine and have not done anything about it - let me know if you ask.....thumbsup.gifgiggle.gif

I just renew my UK passport.... my question is did I need to change my five years driver licence ( issued on Sept. 2014 ) because of the new passport number?

Theoretically I think you do but I have also just changed mine and have not done anything about it - let me know if you ask.....thumbsup.gifgiggle.gif

I renewed my 5 year licence last year, having renewed my UK passport 3 years before then. I had no issues, although I brought along my old passport just in case.

top thanks for your reply... sure if I take any action with update you. Wish you have a happy Songkran. ?

Edited by jjray

I renewed my 5 year licence last year, having renewed my UK passport 3 years before then. I had no issues, although I brought along my old passport just in case.

brewsterbudgen thanks for your reply, I think I will follow your way bring along my old passport on my next driver licence renewal ( Sept 2017 ). Wish you have a happy Songkran. ?

The Licence Folks get rather, prickly if one mentions Passports, Visas ,etc. I was told curtly by the Boss Lady. WE Issue Driving Licence, you tick all the boxes, so no prob.We dont do Visas or Passports, not their business so they can shut up. That told Me.!! Got my new 5,and chuckled all the way home.biggrin.png

Hi all, I have an expired and lost Australian drivers license and wish to get a motorbike license here

Is there a way to get it without my OZ drivers license ?

Yes.... you can do the motorcycle driving test at your local Department of Land Transportation ( DLT )

and if/when you pass they will give you a driving licence.

The Licence Folks get rather, prickly if one mentions Passports, Visas ,etc. I was told curtly by the Boss Lady. WE Issue Driving Licence, you tick all the boxes, so no prob.We dont do Visas or Passports, not their business so they can shut up. That told Me.!! Got my new 5,and chuckled all the way home.biggrin.png

So you don't have any visa? Only visa exemption?

What DLT office did you go to?

• 1 month later...

Is there a 5 year license renewal application form available to print out and complete before I go or can it only be done on arrival? The web site below just states 2) PRINT THE APPLICATION FORM, but doesn't say how it is created?

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&id=3471%3Arenew&Itemid=88

JUst fill in your name and phonenumber on arrival and sign, that's it.

Is there a 5 year license renewal application form available to print out and complete before I go or can it only be done on arrival? The web site below just states 2) PRINT THE APPLICATION FORM, but doesn't say how it is created?

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&id=3471%3Arenew&Itemid=88

JUst fill in your name and phonenumber on arrival and sign, that's it.

Ok thanks for fast reply, very helpful.

Hi all,

This week I got my Thai car and bike driving licence. It was a simple process that is made time consuming by the volume of people and bureaucracy.

I do have a few comment to make about the process.

• They would not accept my Australian car / bike license, they indicated I would have to take an online test and maybe more however they did accept my UK licence so it was plain sailing from there albeit long winded.
  • I brought

Hi all,

This week I got my Thai car and bike driving licence. It was a simple process that is made time consuming by the volume of people and bureaucracy.

I do have a few comment to make about the process.

• They would not accept my Australian car / bike license, they indicated I would have to take an online test and maybe more however they did accept my UK licence so it was plain sailing from there albeit long winded.
  • I brought along 2 medical certificates and 2 residency certificates for the 2 licenses but they gave 1 of each back and want just one of each plus photo copy. So outside I went to get this done plus 2 copies of my UK license following the rejection of my Aussie license.
  • I finished up with a 2 year license which was a bonus to me because i expected a 1 year, must be a new anti congestion rule perhaps.

The process is not difficult when you have a recognised alternate license and if an International license is fully acceptable to the bureaucrats then i suggest any Aussie or members of another "minority" country go down this path first.

Good luck, you may or may not need it.

Yes, correct, the temporary license is 2 years these days in stead of the traditional 1 year.

Hi stevenl - when did that change as I do not remember seeing anybody mention it before?

Yes, correct, the temporary license is 2 years these days in stead of the traditional 1 year.

Hi stevenl - when did that change as I do not remember seeing anybody mention it before?
Don't know since when, but I was told this at the dlt, since confirmed in another thread.

Don't know since when, but I was told this at the dlt, since confirmed in another thread.

ok thanks - mods may have to amend the topic title smile.png

Edited by topt

• 2 weeks later...

Obtaining a 5 Year Licence

Documents needed:

1. Your old, expired Thai driving licence. (On the date you apply, your licence must have already expired.)

2. Photocopies of the following pages of your passport:

- the page with your photograph and name

- the non-immigrant visa

- the departure card ("TM... card" - stapled in your passport)

- the last arrival stamp ("Admitted Until" stamp)

- the last "Application Of Stay" extension stamp.

All pages must be signed by you.

3. 2 Photographs for each licence: 1 inch square (2.5 cm square) excluding the white border, which will be cut off.

It must show your complete face, neck and top of shoulders.

4. A photocopy of and the original document, which is a letter or form (bottom of TM47 form) from Immigration confirming your address in Thailand. They will keep the photocopy and give you back the original document.

The photocopy must be signed by you.

5. 505 baht for car licence / 255 baht for motorbike - valid 5 years minimum, up to your next birthday after 5 full years.

Note: no medical certificate is required.

The above was the case at Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office, 25/7/2005, http://www.phuketdir.com/pkttransport . (There is an error on this page: it says the photo must be 2.5 inches. It should be 2.5 cm).

Just a heads up on this: Went in today to get 5 year licence after first making sure I had everything on this list and was sent way empty handed due to lack of a medical certificate. Apparently, it is only for renewing a 5 year licence that no medical certificate is required. On the first instance you have to have one. I will attend to this today and try again tomorrow.

There was also a lengthy discussion about needing a residence certificate; however, a supervisor intervened and allowed my receipt from the TM47 form in lieu. It was touch and go for awhile with much humming and hahing but I was relieved with the outcome because a residency certificate for me is a 6 hour return drive to CM plus an overnight stay. One other thing to mention, if you are going for car and bike licence you need two copies of everything including two medical certificates.

I hope this information saves some of you a wasted trip

"Apparently, it is only for renewing a 5 year licence that no medical certificate is required. On the first instance you have to have one. I will attend to this today and try again tomorrow."

Yes, correct. I don't understand the reasoning behind this, but for a renewal it is not required, for first time application (for 5 years) it is.

"a supervisor intervened and allowed my receipt from the TM47 form in lieu."

You were really, really lucky there. Also workpermit and yellow housebook are accepted by the way.

BTW, photos are not required anymore, these will be taken on the spot.

A question.

First, my one year licenses expire next month, my passport expires this December and therefor my permission to stay also expires on the passport expiry date.

I will renew my passport more than a month before the expiry date and apply for extension a month before expiry date. (retirement)

Is there likely to be a problem with my application for a 5 year license because of the short validity of my existing passport ?

A question.

First, my one year licenses expire next month, my passport expires this December and therefor my permission to stay also expires on the passport expiry date.

I will renew my passport more than a month before the expiry date and apply for extension a month before expiry date. (retirement)

Is there likely to be a problem with my application for a 5 year license because of the short validity of my existing passport ?

As long as you have the extension before you apply for a new DL: no problem

A question.

Ace and yourself a little contradictory...I will not have my new extension before the license is due for renewal nor will I have my new PP.

The possibility of a problem I foresaw was that as both my PP and extension to stay is for only for 5 months after the application for a 5 year license they may not want to give it.

A question.

Ace and yourself a little contradictory...I will not have my new extension before the license is due for renewal nor will I have my new PP.

The possibility of a problem I foresaw was that as both my PP and extension to stay is for only for 5 months after the application for a 5 year license they may not want to give it.

Where is the contradiction?

If you have extension of stay, no problem. But you don't mention how you're staying in country now.

A question.

If you have extension of stay, no problem. But you don't mention how you're staying in country now.

In my original post I said retirement but no problem.

Thank you very much for your help.

Sorry, but this way nobody can answer your question.

Are you staying here on retirement visa or extension of stay based on retirement? In other words, do you have to report to immigration every 90 days or leave the country every 90 days? If leaving the country every 90 days you're officially not eligible for a 5 year license, if reporting every 90 days you are eligible.

Sorry, but this way nobody can answer your question.

Are you staying here on retirement visa or extension of stay based on retirement? In other words, do you have to report to immigration every 90 days or leave the country every 90 days? If leaving the country every 90 days you're officially not eligible for a 5 year license, if reporting every 90 days you are eligible.

stevenl I am confused. What are you calling a retirement visa - I thought there was no such thing? On an extension of stay based on retirement (which I am guessing Robby nz has) yes he has to report but he could also leave regularly and theoretically never actually report if he was so inclined smile.png .