Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

Obtaining a 1 Year Licence

What you need is:

A recent report (April 2009) says that documents required for first application are:

Original passport + 2 copies of visa page and main page;

Medical report (any doctor can supply)

Address confirmation from immigration + 1 copy;

Current International Driving Permit

First registration, after that reaction test, colour test, another colour test, after that payment and making pictures.

For renewal

1. Expired drivers licenses.

2) A colour test & reaction test on computer is now required for renewal.

It is best if you already have an International Driving Permit,

otherwise you will have to take a written test and a driving test,

in you own vehicle.

After the first year you will be entitled to a licence for 5 years.

Once you have a Thai licence you can also use it to obtain an International Driving Permit.

It seem that these can only be issued it the Morchit Office, in Bangkok,

not at local offices, which is a shame.

Updated 5th May 2009

can you get a licence also with a tourist visa?

I have my internat drivers licence here , and would like to get a thai licence

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a driving virgin, never had a drivers license, but planning on starting the process. I have a Marriage Visa, 1 year (since 4 years), but no work permit. That should be valid to:

1. Apply for a driving school.

2. Learn, learn, learn.

3. Get the documents (residency confirmation, medical, etc).

4. Pass the driving test.

5. Get my license.

Is that correct? I'm worried I'd need a work permit or something as I never had a drivers license before.

My 1yr Motorbike & Car licenses expired on Sep 1st so I went today to get the 5yr ones. Was in & out within 1hr and all I needed was

1) Both the old licenses.

2) Copy of passport.

3) Residence certificate from immigration or copy of work permit.

4) 80baht medical cert from local hospital.

Motorbike license was 305 baht and the Car license 555 baht. Another 200 baht was required for photos as I wanted the smart license.

Hi skybluestu,

I wished I had a smooth ride like u did.

Where did you get your licenses renewal done?

And when u mentioned: 2) Copy of passport

Did it mean the photo page of the passport, the entry stamp page or both?

It seems that a residence certificate/affidavit can be the substitute for a work permit. So does it mean they will renew 1 year licenses for ppl on tourist visa?

PS: I took both the practical/theory test in Sep 08 last year on a Non-Immigrant ED

Just renewed my licence after my one year expired. As other posters have already said, all that was required was a med certificate, passport copy, WP copy and 655 Baht. The funny part is that while the girl was printing the new one, she made a mistake and only made it valid for a year instead of 5. She realized her mistake, cancelled the one year one and reissued me a new one.........the funny part is she made the new one valid for 6 years! :)

Just renewed my licence after my one year expired. As other posters have already said, all that was required was a med certificate, passport copy, WP copy and 655 Baht. The funny part is that while the girl was printing the new one, she made a mistake and only made it valid for a year instead of 5. She realized her mistake, cancelled the one year one and reissued me a new one.........the funny part is she made the new one valid for 6 years! :)

Before I came to Thailand a year ago I was able to fine the Medical Certificate form on line in Thai and had my doctor sign it in the US.

I can't find the link now and I need to get another certificate signed by a Thai doctor so I can renew my temporary Thai license.

I went to the main transportation office in Bangkok a week before my temp expired and they said to come back after it had expired up to 1 year.

I think I want to have the blank Medical Certificate form just in case the local clinic can't understand what I need.

1. When I went for my 1 year I didn't need photographs they took them there and then. Won't this be the same again?

2. I have the original letter confirming my address dated last September 2008. Is this letter enough or do I have to go and get another one from my Embassy when applying for a 5 year licence?

Thanks in advance for any help from someone who really knows and isn't guessing

I just got mine in August after my birthday (63 years young) and noticed it was for six years. Got it in Pathum Thani. Very efficient operation there compared to years before. Pictures were taken by computer at the offices. Needed retirement visa, used letter to immigration for banking which had my address on it, and passport. Don't know why it was for six years but okay by me.

Edited by puyaidon

Not sure if I should post this in the Motor forum or the Central Thailand forum as it is only of any real use for those renewing their driving licences at the Kanchanaburi office.

Anyway, have just got back home from renewing my 5 year m/c and car licences.

Went to the Kanchanaburi Immigration office yesterday to get the Residence certificate. They don't do it any longer and told me to go to my local Amphur, which I did and they charged me 50 baht (no receipt ahem!)

Licencing dept. required my old licences, passport and signed copies of photo page, visa page, re-entry permit page and permitted to stay stamp page. Letter from Amphur confirming my address. (All copies x 2 as I was renewing both m/c and car licences).

NO medical certificate required.

I then had to do the test for colour blindness, depth perception test, peripheral vision test and the reaction time from accelerator to brake pedal test.

After which we all went upstairs and watched the film regarding road safety. No comment!

Paid 305 baht for m/c licence and 555 baht for private car licence and then another 200 baht for new style licence.

That's me done until 2014. :)

Okay, my car and motorbike 5 year licences expire in a couple of weeks. Could some kind soul explain what PHUKET transport office requires....reading through the rest of the threads it seem to vary from province to province. My main questions are, will I need a medical certificate and the 100Bhat address certificate from immigration?

Cheers

geoffphuket

Okay, my car and motorbike 5 year licences expire in a couple of weeks. Could some kind soul explain what PHUKET transport office requires....reading through the rest of the threads it seem to vary from province to province. My main questions are, will I need a medical certificate and the 100Bhat address certificate from immigration?

Cheers

geoffphuket

I can understand why there are so many different stories told about the Thai DL and renewals.

I didn't know that a medical certificate was required until I was at the main office in Bangkok.

They handed me a check list which I include here as an attachment.

The highlighted lines at the top say this is for:

RENEW THAI DRIVING LICENSE BY YOURSELF

CHANGE TO FIVE YEAR LICENSE.

Line No 1 Requirement (Highlighted by them) says:

ONE - YEAR THAI DRIVING LICENSE

EXPIRED NOT MORE THAN ONE YEAR.

So I guess if you were starting at the temporary 1 year license you would not have to renew to the 5

year license until year 2 which in effect would be 6 years if you didn't renew until 1 year after expiry of the 1 year license - WHEW!

In your case the requirements may be different because you already have the 5 year license.

Also in my case I had to have a much more expensive letter from the US Embassy stating my address because I have only been in Thailand for 1 year on a NO visa and never had to report to the immigration office every 90 days about my address; only 90 day border runs.

This year I will have a visa 1 year extension and have to report address and status every 90 days which would allow me next time to just get the cheaper address certificate from immigration.

You may not really know until you visit the Land-Transportation office.

post-74539-1254837971_thumb.jpg

1st time applying for driver licence car.

i have Non Imm O 12 mnths.

I have International licence.

I can photocopy passport,relevant pages.

I will go see Medic for Cert.

I need to go Immigration for registration my home address in Thailand.

Is that all required?

Is Samutprakarn licence department ok?

Thanks fellas its really easy when u know how.

Sorry if its already been covered but is there an maximum age limit for applying for a Thai DL. This topic came up in a local forum and a guy is insisting he cannot get a Thai DL at the age of 71?

He says DL's are issued until the age of 70 and this has only fairly recently gone up for 60 y.o.I found that hard to believe and I would be grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction to confirm this WITH FACTS!

Thanks in advance (of me one-day reaching that age)

Dave

I'm a driving virgin, never had a drivers license, but planning on starting the process. I have a Marriage Visa, 1 year (since 4 years), but no work permit. That should be valid to:

2. Learn, learn, learn.

5. Get my license.

Is that correct? I'm worried I'd need a work permit or something as I never had a drivers license before.

Nobody knows? :)

Sorry if its already been covered but is there an maximum age limit for applying for a Thai DL. This topic came up in a local forum and a guy is insisting he cannot get a Thai DL at the age of 71?

He says DL's are issued until the age of 70 and this has only fairly recently gone up for 60 y.o.I found that hard to believe and I would be grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction to confirm this WITH FACTS!

Dave

Dave, I have a friend who is 72 years of age and he just renewed his 5 year driving licence earlier this year. I have actually seen it and it is valid until the year 2014.

2. Learn, learn, learn.

5. Get my license.

Nobody knows? :D

I've never had a work permit in Thailand and when I applied for my first Thai driving licence (a 1 year one) over 10 year's ago, I didn't realise that I could have avoided doing the practical test by showing my UK driving licence. So I took the test just like any ordinary Thai person would. I therefore think that you wouldn't have any problems.....once you've learnt to drive, that is :)

Dave

Dave, I have a friend who is 72 years of age and he just renewed his 5 year driving licence earlier this year. I have actually seen it and it is valid until the year 2014.

Cheers mate, I thought it was cods :):D

If anyone cares here is my report on attaining second 5 year driver license renewal in Korat. After 6 years of myriad driving in Thailand, encounter at Transportation Department this time (3rd time) went fairly well. Did everything one month early before expiration date (birthday). Interesting though that new license received this month 2009 has an issue date of past 2004 valid to expire date 2014 on birth date.

Prepared :

Copies of Passport and relevant pages ~ 20thb + 15min walk.

Medical Report ~ 80thb ~ 15min at clinic + 1.5hrs driving = 1.75hrs.

Address conformation from immigration ~ no charge ~ round trip to Korat Immigration only to find out office has moved to ChokChai (oopps)_ driving = 2hrs + next day round trip drive to new ChokChai Immigration = 1hr.

At Department of Land Transportation in ChokChai :

Needed :

Expired drivers licenses.

Passport and copies of passport.

Medical report.

Address conformation from immigration.

Had to do a Reflex Test (pushing foot pedals alternating gas and brake via choice red and green lights) ; Color Blindness Test (reading colored numbers) ; Depth Perception Test (aligning a moving pin with a fixed pin via a remote joy stick). Lots of fun.

Digital pictures taken on spot. Smile.

In and Out in of this Department in about 1.5 hr.

Private Car License cost = 555thb.

Private Motorcycle license cost = 305thb.

Total costs = 960thb.

Total time = 6.5 hrs (over 2 days).

Holder of Singapore driving license, being one of the Asean countries too, do I still still need to get an international license in order to get a 1 year thai license?

As the Singapore DL is in English, you won't need to present an international DL as well when applying for your 1 yr Thai DL.

Can i get a 5 years licence with my old 1 year licence expired ? Any changes ?

Thanks.

Depends, the law says that you must hold valid licence over 1 year to be able to apply 5 year one.

Then again if your one year licence expired "years" ago it wont work. Can't remember now but the information is here in the forum somewhere burried under all these posts.

However, here's my personal experience from Bangkok LTD (the one between Sukhumvit soi 99 - 101).

My one year licence was expired several years back so they required me even to do the written and drive test or to provide international licence or to provide translation of my home country licence certified by my embassy.

Long story short i do not have bike licence in my home country so i decided to do it the long way. And i failed the drive test with car but passed the bike tests... :) I was told i can try again after 3 days so next day i went to my embassy and got translation from my car licence and they issued me one without re-testing. The bike licence was issued day earlier as i did pass the tests.

The catch is that i was issued 5 year licences for both car and bike !!!!

Even if my one year licence was not valid for automatic reneval anymore it proved that i had hold licence more than one year as the law says thus they issued me 5 year ones direct. So whatever means you get your licence activated, take the old one with you together with couple of signed copies.

2. Learn, learn, learn.

5. Get my license.

Nobody knows? :D

I've never had a work permit in Thailand and when I applied for my first Thai driving licence (a 1 year one) over 10 year's ago, I didn't realise that I could have avoided doing the practical test by showing my UK driving licence. So I took the test just like any ordinary Thai person would. I therefore think that you wouldn't have any problems.....once you've learnt to drive, that is :)

Correct, the key is the Non-immigrant visa. No work permit required. It's easier to prove your address with work permit but also letter from embassy or from your nearest immigration will do.

The written and drive test does not measure your ability to drive a car or bike so you can get it with very basic driving skills. However for your own and others safety it is highly recommended to learn how to drive before you take it to the streets !

Thanks Mark, will give it a try. What about cheap health cert, which clinic to go in pattaya?

The health cert should not cost u more than 100 Baht. I got mine for 30 baht in a small clinic at Din Daeng, Bangkok. The key point here is just to go to a clinic and get it. No need to go to hospital. If you have local frens, even better. Ask them and they should know where to bring you.

Department of Land transportation, Chachutjak

19th October 2009 (my experience)

Went there today to renew my first 1 year license (expired 4 days ago) and got a new 5 year one. Arrived there at 10.51am, had with me:

1. Old (expired by 4 days) 1 year license.

2. Original Aussie passport, plus copy of all pages with NON-B immigrant visa, extension of stay etc.

3. Original work permit, plus copy of all the pages.

4. Medical certificate from local clinic (60 Baht). Wife got it yesterday without me being there!!! AMAZING THAILAND

Went to the information desk (lady checked all of my paperwork, clipped them all together and gave them back to me with a queue number for counter 17 (foreigner counter service).

Within 10 minutes later my number was called, went to the counter. Lady checked all of my documents, no problems whatsoever. I then paid my 605 baht, she took my photo, and done!! Waited for 4 minutes and then she handed my brand new 5 years smart license. Time 11.11am. Total time 20 minutes from entering the building.

No new eyesight, reaction or driving test, no movie.

P.S

According to the lady:

A 5 yr license can be renewed before expiry (3 months) or anytime after that.

1st time applying for driver licence car.

i have Non Imm O 12 mnths.

I have International licence.

I can photocopy passport,relevant pages.

I will go see Medic for Cert.

I need to go Immigration for registration my home address in Thailand.

Is that all required?

Is Samutprakarn licence department ok?

Thanks fellas its really easy when u know how.

I'm exactly in the same situation here.

I need to go to the British consulate tomorrow morning to get my home address certificate, will I be in time to go to Bangkunthien Transport Office (by the way i Live in Sathorn can I either go here or Mo Chit or just to Bangkunthien?) and do everything in the morninig?

I suppose I may be there by 10-10.30, is it gonna be to late for apply?

Any quick reply will be highly appreciated.

I just took a small group of foreigners out to Sukhumvit near Soi 99 to get their one year thai driver's license today. Two of the 4 were on the 90-day-at-a-time ED visa extensions, and they got theirs just fine.

Some people have reported success with renewing their initial one year Thai D/L on a tourist visa, but this has NOT been my experience and one person I took was denied a 5 year license (but they did re-issue him another one year license again).

FWIW lifetime licenses are totally and completely a thing of the past. Only people who already hold a lifetime license will get a new one if it is lost or they want to change it to the new style smart card. The most anyone gets now is 5 years AFTER holding a single year license.

Documents you will need;

*Copies of the picture page on your passport, the visa you arrived on and any current extension stamps.

*A copy (front & back) of your current Driver's License (what ever country it is issued from).

*A health certificate from a clinic or hospital

*A letter either from your embassy or Thai Immigrations which states you are a resident of thailand.

Current pricing is as follows:

*US embassy charges 1020 baht for a letter stating you reside in Thailand and want a D/L.

*Thai Immigrations issues a resident certificate for free but they charge 100baht 'EMS fee' and the paper is mailed to you about 10 days later.

Some local police stations will issue you a paper stating you are a resident, if you have a rental agreement, rental receipt, or a bill of any kind with your name and address on it, but this varies from station to station, so is not a 100% sure thing. Best thing is to call them and check.

NO PHOTO is needed as they now issue you what is called a "Smart Card" and take your picture on the spot. The license is a BIG step above the old style "Khao-San Road" bogus looking one. It has holograms, great lamination, and is written in both thai and english. What is NOT on the new license anymore is your home address; although the officer said if the police run the bar code thru a MICR reader (located in almost all thai police cars) the information comes up on a screen.

Please be advised; the Driver's License place out near Sukhumvit Soi 99 is one of the most non-engrish language government offices I have ever frequented. However with that being said; seeing as it is the THAI Motor Vehicle Office and they cater almost exclusively to thais, (as opposed to Thai Immigrations which caters exclusively to foreigners) this is to be expected, and they do their best out there dealing with the few foreigners they get. (In the 3+ hours I was there with my group we were the ONLY foreigners in the place) If you can't speak anything more than two-word-tourist-thai, you're gonna be out of your league and the "controlled chaos" of the place could make you get discouraged to the point you just give up.

If you can take a thai with you, do it..

I am sure somwhere in this post this has been covered but;

The way it works is they run a series of 4 tests; reaction time, color blindness, depth perception, and peripheral vision in groups of people. Get there and turn your paperwork in BEFORE 9 AM and you're most likely in the 9AM testing group. Get there even a single minute later than 9AM and be prepared to wait it out until the 11AM group tests. IF you hold a license from any country, you are simply using it to verify you have the ability to drive and only take the 4 tests I just mentioned.

I have never taken someone whose license was already expired or who didn't have a current one from their country. I did speak today to an officer there who said; you must take the 4 tests I mentioned plus, watch a nearly 2 hour video (in thai only) on safe driving practices, take a written multiple choice test, and take the driving exam on the little track behind the building. This could be true or not, and again I am relating what I was told by the officer working there.

The people I took turned in their paperwork at 9:02AM due to not having the correct copies and such, so they were in the 11AM test group. During the wait, I watched the driving part of the exam for about an hour as various thais did the test. If you have ANY proficiency in driving, (no matter marginal), the test is a cake walk for both a moto-cy and a car.

The price for the first year's "temporary license" (as that's what it says on it) is 205 baht PER license. So if you get both a car and a moto-cy license it will be 410 baht. This is the current price as of today, and was the same as last month when I took another group out there.

This an FYI post based on the experiences I have had ONLY from the Soi 99 office NO WHERE ELSE. With this being thailand, things are probably done differently in different locations;

Your mileage may and probably will vary.

NO warranties are expressed or implied.

Hope it helps, PM me if anyone has questions. AND yes, I put this post on several threads about thai driver's licenses (deal with it)