Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

Hello All,

A question to those with more knwledge on this topic, I had a 5 year Thai driving license that was stolen here in Haiti and i didn't have a copy & it would have been expired by now. Also stolen here at the same time was my UK license (extrememly old pink colored version) also did not have a copy of it.

How can i go about obtaining a new Thai license without the UK one to back it up?. I will be going back to BKK for a vacation from here and would like to drive legally.

Thank you for any feedback,

Best Regards,

James.d.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quick check list

My 1 year licence expires on 17 dec.

Im going to renew it before 17 dec.

What docs I need? And do I have to pass tests again?

I got car and bike

I already obtained 2 copies of residence certyficat.

Do I need doctor certyficat?

• 2 weeks later...

Quick check list

I got car and bike

Yes (depending on where you are) you will need to take some of the tests/checks - vision, reaction etc.

Yes you need a medical certificate and copy

Copies of current licences front and back and 2 copies of all relevant passport pages (visas,stamps, personal details) inc TM7 or whatever the entry/exit form is called.

Quick check list

I got car and bike

Yes (depending on where you are) you will need to take some of the tests/checks - vision, reaction etc.

Copies of current licences front and back and 2 copies of all relevant passport pages (visas,stamps, personal details) inc TM7 or whatever the entry/exit form is called.

Im in pattaya

In op posts it says no medical cert needed for renewal...

Quick check list

I got car and bike

Im in pattaya

Not sure what you mean by "op posts" but there are lots of examples (including mine I think) that say otherwise.

My experience - Previous years when I renewed my one year to another 1 year, medical cert required.

This year going from 1 year to 5 year, medical cert required.

This was in Pattaya.

Not sure however if you need med cert renewing a 5 year for another 5 year. For max 100 baht I would probably have one anyway just in-case.

Hello All,

A question to those with more knwledge on this topic, I had a 5 year Thai driving license that was stolen here in Haiti and i didn't have a copy & it would have been expired by now. Also stolen here at the same time was my UK license (extrememly old pink colored version) also did not have a copy of it.

How can i go about obtaining a new Thai license without the UK one to back it up?. I will be going back to BKK for a vacation from here and would like to drive legally.

Best Regards,

James.d.

Hello All,

I will be going into BKK on a tourist visa on vacation, is it possible to get a license on the tourist visa? And any advice on my above post?

Best Regards,

James .d

Hello All,

Best Regards,

James.d.

Hello All,

I will be going into BKK on a tourist visa on vacation, is it possible to get a license on the tourist visa? And any advice on my above post?

Best Regards,

James .d

Yes, possible.

Thank you Stevenl,

So as i do not have any license with me, so i can go through the normal process as a Thai would do using my tourist visa?

Thank you again,

Kind Regards,

James.d

Yes, you can. The only possible issue is the issuance of the certificate of residence by immigration. Some will do that for people on visa exempt entry, some not. On a tourist visa it should be no problem.

Quick check list

I got car and bike

Im in pattaya

Not sure what you mean by "op posts" but there are lots of examples (including mine I think) that say otherwise.

My experience - Previous years when I renewed my one year to another 1 year, medical cert required.

This year going from 1 year to 5 year, medical cert required.

This was in Pattaya.

Not sure however if you need med cert renewing a 5 year for another 5 year. For max 100 baht I would probably have one anyway just in-case.

Yes thanks i will get one its easy anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Stevenl,

So as i do not have any license with me, so i can go through the normal process as a Thai would do using my tourist visa?

Thank you again,

Kind Regards,

James.d

Yes, you can. The only possible issue is the issuance of the certificate of residence by immigration. Some will do that for people on visa exempt entry, some not. On a tourist visa it should be no problem.

All depends on where you apply.

The Guidelines / Laws are not applied universally.

On a Tourist Visa, I was empathetically told no by the local Immigration Dept.

The Transport Dept didn't care what Visa I help, as long as I had the 'certificate of residence by immigration' that Steven refers to above.

I'm at Samut Prakan, the Provence adjoining Bangkok.

But, I did, however, get my 5 year licences on a Tourist Visa.

I simply went to my Embassy and got a Stat Dec witnessed by them, cost Bt 500 or 600 and that was sufficient for the Transport Dept.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess if you can get a drivers license with a tourist visa I should be alright but I am asking to double check.

I have a one year license that expires August, as does my present extension of stay. As I need a new passport and also to be in and out of Thailand several times this year I was planning on starting the whole visa process over again as it gives me a multiple entry and I don't need to keep a bunch of money in a Thai bank until a year later when I get a new extension.

But I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to get a 5 year license with a new visa in a new passport. It would seem I should be able to. Any differing opinions?

I guess if you can get a drivers license with a tourist visa I should be alright but I am asking to double check.

I have a one year license that expires August, as does my present extension of stay. As I need a new passport and also to be in and out of Thailand several times this year I was planning on starting the whole visa process over again as it gives me a multiple entry and I don't need to keep a bunch of money in a Thai bank until a year later when I get a new extension.

But I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to get a 5 year license with a new visa in a new passport. It would seem I should be able to. Any differing opinions?

You can only get a one year temporary dl on a tourist visa after which you must be on a long stay extension (marriage or retirement} or a B or O multi with or without a wp to get your 5 year dl.

You can only get a one year temporary dl on a tourist visa after which you must be on a long stay extension (marriage or retirement} or a B or O multi with or without a wp to get your 5 year dl.

I was planning on getting a new O visa based on marriage. So essentially I was asking if I can get my 5 year DL after my 1 year DL expires on a new visa with no extension. Or will I need the extension to get a certificate of residence from immigration?

I was planning on getting a new O visa based on marriage. So essentially I was asking if I can get my 5 year DL after my 1 year DL expires on a new visa with no extension. Or will I need the extension to get a certificate of residence from immigration?

No need to worry, you’re eligible to apply for the 5 year license on a brand spanking new long stay visa.

Edit: Noticed you're currently holding a 1 year temp license, therefore your "applying" for the 5 year license, (Semantics...)

Edited by MTH

Aye yai yai. So many different circumstances being discussed it's hard to sort out my situation. And there sure doesn't need to be ANOTHER driver licensing thread.

I'm on an O-A visa, everything current.

This is a first time application, I do not have a Thai drivers license.

This morning I went to LTO Office in Lamphun. I have certificate of residency from Thai Immigration. I have medical certificate issued this morning, health ok. I have copies of relevant passport pages. I have a valid US (Oregon) Drivers License.

I DO NOT HAVE international drivers license.

The clerk/official at LTO was clearly losing patience with me as I attempted to decipher what he was requesting.

He refused to use Google translate for me and simply made a stamping gesture (right fist to left palm) and stated over and over EMBASSY and TRANSLATE.

Sooo... first of all the US Consulate in CM does not do translations. Any guess what he is wanting from me? If it is an International Drivers License I'm out of luck. Is he saying He needs certificate of residency from the Consulate? Is he looking for a statutory declaration of something? Does he want a translated copy of my Oregon license... perhaps it is as simple as pound sand, I don't know.

I kept smiling and nodding my head... but I'm truly at loss as to what he wants.

I'm not looking to get away easy. I'm willing to take the time to attend classes and do the testing.

Edited by Dogberry

Aye yai yai. So many different circumstances being discussed it's hard to sort out my situation. And there sure doesn't need to be ANOTHER driver licensing thread.

I'm on an O-A visa, everything current.

This is a first time application, I do not have a Thai drivers license.

This morning I went to LTO Office in Lamphun. I have certificate of residency from Thai Immigration. I have medical certificate issued this morning, health ok. I have copies of relevant passport pages. I have a valid US (Oregon) Drivers License.

I DO NOT HAVE international drivers license.

The clerk/official at LTO was clearly losing patience with me as I attempted to decipher what he was requesting.

He refused to use Google translate for me and simply made a stamping gesture (right fist to left palm) and stated over and over EMBASSY and TRANSLATE.

Sooo... first of all the US Consulate in CM does not do translations. Any guess what he is wanting from me? If it is an International Drivers License I'm out of luck. Is he saying He needs certificate of residency from the Consulate? Is he looking for a statutory declaration of something? Does he want a translated copy of my Oregon license... perhaps it is as simple as pound sand, I don't know.

I kept smiling and nodding my head... but I'm truly at loss as to what he wants.

I'm not looking to get away easy. I'm willing to take the time to attend classes and do the testing.

I have heard that some LTOs now require a letter of validation of your driving license, from your Embassy, if you don’ have an IDP (International Driving Permit).

Guess this is what the clerk was after, you'll need to contact your Embassy about this.

Usually if the license is in English, and it’s clear as to what types of vehicles your licensed to operate, it’s a quick conversion to a temporary Thai license, even without an IDP.

I’m saying usually, as every LTO, and even clerk, has their own set of rules…

Additionally, some states in the US just put an endorsement on your license for motorcycle, so if that’s the case with your Oregon license, and it’s a motorcycle license you're applying for.

Then the solution would be getting an IDP from AAA or a validation letter from the Embassy, if you don’t want to take the full test here.

If you do want to take the test here, see this link for the required paperwork, so you bring the correct copies with you.

Edited by MTH

Phew... seems I've offended the gent at the LTO. I showed him the official page from link above and he blew a cork. The official processes means nothing. I swear I was polite and smiled the whole time but something went south and he decided I was questioning his authority. But I could see the look on his face when I returned a third time for questions. He decided then and there I was beyond stupid. Oh well...

Am I able to apply for a license in another province? I'm in Lamphun Province but the Chiang Mai LTO is just up the road and I know they process a lot more applications for foreigners than does Lamphun.

Phew... seems I've offended the gent at the LTO. I showed him the official page from link above and he blew a cork. The official processes means nothing. I swear I was polite and smiled the whole time but something went south and he decided I was questioning his authority. But I could see the look on his face when I returned a third time for questions. He decided then and there I was beyond stupid. Oh well...

Am I able to apply for a license in another province? I'm in Lamphun Province but the Chiang Mai LTO is just up the road and I know they process a lot more applications for foreigners than does Lamphun.

Officially you need Idp to obtain Thai DL without doing the tests.

Officially no. Unofficially yes, at least at some LTOs. smile.png

To answer Dogberry’s question about getting a license in Chiang Mail. That will not work unless you can get a residence certificate issued in Chiang Mai. So you would need to know someone that will provide you with an address there. However there have been reports of successfully getting a drivers license in Bangkok with out of province residence certs, not an absolute though so could be a trip in vain.

An EU or US licence is fine and means you don't have to do the driving test, just the "physical" tests.

Khon Kaen wouldn't accept a Canadian DL. A friend paid for a driving school in Udon Tahni. No actual training for him and they took care of everything for him.

I sent a couple of photos, a copy of my DL and some money to my brother and he got the IDP from the Canadian Auto Assc. For me and mailed it back. Then no problem with the 1 year license.

An EU or US licence is fine and means you don't have to do the driving test, just the "physical" tests.

Khon Kaen wouldn't accept a Canadian DL. A friend paid for a driving school in Udon Tahni. No actual training for him and they took care of everything for him.

I sent a couple of photos, a copy of my DL and some money to my brother and he got the IDP from the Canadian Auto Assc. For me and mailed it back. Then no problem with the 1 year license.

Yes, quite often accepted, but officially IDP is required to avoid the practical tests.

Especially US licenses can be an issue because of different states having different requirements and allowances, so especially with US licenses verifications can be required.

I returned to LTO for a fourth time thinking I had nothing to lose. I'm all Katot kap like a mf'er and he was very pleasant. He took me to the desk of a co-worker and deciphered my license. He talked to her, she asked me some questions, soon I was taking a reaction test and have having a license printed. I still don't know what he asking me for previously but nevermind now.

Valid Visa

Certificate of Residence

Doctors report

Valid US Drivers License

Pertinent copies

Fee paid

License issued.

Edited by Dogberry

• 2 weeks later...

I renewed my 5 year driver license today at the DLT near to BTS Bangchak, just past Sukhumvit Soi 99. I thought that it wouldn't be too busy on a Thursday, however, I arrived at 9:45AM but didn't finish until 3:15PM. Some noteworthy points:-

- Medical certificate was not required (I had one with me but they didn't take it).

- I had to watch the one hour safety/road manners video.

- No color blind test.

- I had to do the peripheral vision test with the red/green/yellow lights flashed at my left and right whilst keeping my eyes straight.

- I had to do the depth perception test (i.e., bringing the 2 white sticks alongside each other by pressing the red/green buttons).

- I had to do the braking test.

The documents that I provided were originals and a copy of the ID page of my passport, last entry stamp and TM6, current 12 month multi re-entry stamp, yellow tabien baan, and the expired license.

I specifically asked if the ID number on my new license be the same as my foreigner ID number on my yellow tabien baan (i.e., the thirteen digit number on page 2 of the tabien baan commencing with 6), but they said "cannot", and said for foreigner must use current passport number.

My 5 year license expired about 2 years ago, would someone be able to offer advise on below.

1. Go to immigration to get proof of residence ( some type of bill with address )

2. Medical cert from a clinic

3. Some photo's for L & T people

4. Passport for L & T people

Am I missing anything?

Questions.

1. Will I get a new 5 year license or must I get 1 year 1st?

2. Can I do all this on 30 day tourist stamp?

3. Will I need to sit a test or only the 'brake' and 'eyesight' test? ( I have a UK license )

4. Should I show them my 5 year license, any benefit doing this?

Thanks in advance

My 5 year license expired about 2 years ago, would someone be able to offer advise on below.

1. Go to immigration to get proof of residence ( some type of bill with address )

Am I missing anything?

Questions.

3. Will I need to sit a test or only the 'brake' and 'eyesight' test? ( I have a UK license )

Thanks in advance

1. 1 year, why see 2

2. 30 day tourist stamp will only get you a 1 year licence.

3. Should only have to do eyesight and brake tests.

4. up to you ! try and see.

Am I missing anything?

Questions.

Thanks in advance

1. 1 year, why see 2

2. 30 day tourist stamp will only get you a 1 year licence.

3. Should only have to do eyesight and brake tests.

4. up to you ! try and see.

FYI Not all LTO's accepting a 30 VOA for applying a DL.