Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

I got 2 residency certificates yesterday at Samui Immigration. Cost 650 Baht for the 2 including the photos which they took.

I am hoping the Yellow House Regsitration book will be all the proof needed. The nearest Immgration Offcie to me (sub) is 2 hours aways (main offcie 3 hours aways).

Should be the ultimate proof of address and liivng in Thailand.

Will soon find out as am trying at the Khon Kaen licence office Monday.

Dave

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got 2 residency certificates yesterday at Samui Immigration. Cost 650 Baht for the 2 including the photos which they took.

I am hoping the Yellow House Regsitration book will be all the proof needed. The nearest Immgration Offcie to me (sub) is 2 hours aways (main offcie 3 hours aways).

Should be the ultimate proof of address and liivng in Thailand.

Dave

Good Luck Dave. I am trying at the Samui office on monday. Moving to Khon Kaen soon so I will need one. In Samui no one bothers.

I am hoping the Yellow House Registration book will be all the proof needed. The nearest Immigration Office to me (sub) is 2 hours aways (main office 3 hours aways).

Should be the ultimate proof of address and living in Thailand.

Dave

Good Luck Dave. I am trying at the Samui office on monday. Moving to Khon Kaen soon so I will need one. In Samui no one bothers.

Thanks and good luck to you too. You must let me know when you get to Khon Kaen. I am always on the KK Forum. Maybe we can meet up.

Regards, Dave

Some days you just get lucky. Yesterday I went to the Land Transport Office on Phaholyothin ( near Morchit). Started off at information by showing them my expired one-year license, signed copy pages from passport and work permit, and two photos left over from last year when I got the one year license. Less than 10 minutes and 505 baht later I walked out with my five year license. Oh wait, it was 515 baht...I forgot about the 10 baht to have it laminated.

Two days ago at Samui applied for my 1 year car and motorbike licences. Just had to show them my old UK licence and they gave me the licences without having to do any tests.

Congrats Litebeer, I applied to Khon Kaen Licencing Dept. I needed my IDP, 4 photos (as I was applying for a Car AND a Motorbike licence. I had to do FOUR tests

Colour Blindness, Depth perception, periphery perception (what you can see out to the left and right whilst looking straight ahead, and reaction test.

I had trouble with the periphery and depth perception tests because the Lady could not speak English to explain and my wife was unable to interpret clearly . Consequently I thought the tests were the reaction tests whereas I had all the time in the world. Had I understood the tests they would have been a piece of cake. Anyway I passed OK.

They THEN decide they wanted me to do the written test (which interestingly they had versions in Thai AND ENGLISH). It was at this stage I asked my wife to ask them why, as I was applying based on a current UK licence and IDP. I said I thought it was not necessary.

Upon explanation the Lady agreed the written and driving tests were no required (I think she thought I was applying without ANY existing licences (the initial application dept had not informed her), and I was granted my Thai Licences without further problem. Whole procedure 40 mins. (105baht car licence and 50 baht motorcycle).

(20 baht laminations at a local store :o )

Regards, Dave

Well done Dave . I thought Samui would be the best choice to apply. At the moment I am going back and forth between Samui and KK

I thought you would have a problem with the Tabien Baan, but obviously all was ok.

Thanks Lite Beer,

Yes I was a little worried myself about the TIT factor regarding the Tabien Baan.

I knew this book is the oracle for all Thai Nationals' proof of address, but was afraid that as much less Foreigners have one that some official would not do the obvious (to me) lateral thinking, and would instead demand the more usual Immigration letter "proof of address".

I would have been upset if they had not accepted my Tabien Baan as it was so obviously the ultimate of the two documents.

But anyway, Happily, I did not need to worry as they were completely happy with my Tabien Baan and made no remark whatsoever. I suppose my fear it would not be accepted was more MY paranoia dealing with Immigration's differing Visa requirements from office to office, AND one Amphur office actually making me get a translations into Thai of my main passport page when applying for my Tabien Baan (first time ever this was required by any Civil service Dept. in Thailand)

Regards, Dave

After reading the entire thread I've got a question, maybe I can get a simple answer. I lost my drivers license right before I moved to Bangkok from the U.S. in 2004. I want to get a both a drivers license for driving a car and motorcylce. If I buy one of those fake IDP from Kao Sarn Road are they recoginized as being legitimate? I want to avoid haviing to drive a vehicle part of the test.

Thanks - O

Obtaining a 1 Year Licence

What you need is:

1. Passport with a non-immigrant visa

2. Photos for each licence you intend to apply for

3. Medical certificate, from any small clinic - costs about 100 baht

4. Letter from Immigration confirming your address in the area. Just bring your rental agreement alt. house book (if you own your own home) with you.

5. 105 baht for car licence / 55 baht for motorbike - valid 1 year.

It is best if you already have an International Driving Permit,

otherwise you will have to take a written test and a driving test,

in you own vehicle.

After the first year you will be entitled to a licence for 5 years.

Please confirm..is it letter from immigration or rental agreement etc...if immigration letter will they keep it or copy it and give it back...need original to purchase a car and they wont copy document and then return original

Thanks

Please confirm..is it letter from immigration or rental agreement etc...if immigration letter will they keep it or copy it and give it back...need original to purchase a car and they wont copy document and then return original

Both times I've applied they've kept the letter :o

Just ask for two copies when you get it from immigration.

I lost my drivers license right before I moved to Bangkok from the U.S. in 2004. I want to get a both a drivers license for driving a car and motorcylce. If I buy one of those fake IDP from Kao Sarn Road are they recoginized as being legitimate? I want to avoid haviing to drive a vehicle part of the test.

Orangutan.

They are recognised as being FAKE!!!

Why do you not want to demonstrate that you can drive? The actual test is very basic according to those who've taken it, not even on the real roads :o

EDIT Incidentally, an IDP is only valid if it is accompanied by your national licence anyway, so even if they didn't catch it a being iffy you'd still need your US licence. Time to learn to drive ready for your test I'm afraid :D

Crossy,

Got it...Thanks.

-O

Got my car licence today..wasted £25 at the British Embassy as was told that I needed original BE letter as proof of address. I needed one to buy the car and one for licence. Licence dept. happy to accept copy so i now have a spare original letter.

Had a bit of a problem with the width of field test, think lady was kind to me..If I hadn't had my wife there might have failed. The lighting was awful and the yellow (amber) wasn't clear. Again I didn't fully understand this test and my wifes english isn't that bad.

Have to go back for 5-year licence but not before one year today. They wouldn't let me have a motor bike licence as I didn't have one in the UK..I tried but she said that I have to do the full test for that. Maybe safer not to have one but like to hire them at the seaside.

In and out in about 45mins.

Crossy,

Got it...Thanks.

-O

Got my car licence today..wasted £25 at the British Embassy as was told that I needed original BE letter as proof of address. I needed one to buy the car and one for licence. Licence dept. happy to accept copy so i now have a spare original letter.

Had a bit of a problem with the width of field test, think lady was kind to me..If I hadn't had my wife there might have failed. The lighting was awful and the yellow (amber) wasn't clear. Again I didn't fully understand this test and my wifes english isn't that bad.

Have to go back for 5-year licence but not before one year today. They wouldn't let me have a motor bike licence as I didn't have one in the UK..I tried but she said that I have to do the full test for that. Maybe safer not to have one but like to hire them at the seaside.

John, which motor office did you go to? and did you have an international driving permit or just a photo license from the UK???

:o

Crossy,

Got it...Thanks.

-O

John, which motor office did you go to? and did you have an international driving permit or just a photo license from the UK???

:o

Yes..Nonthaburi...and I did bring with me an IDL from the UK as well as my UK licence..plus letter from BE plus doctors cert..plus copies of all including pessport as have a non imm O. They will copy all outside the licence centre for you.

Crossy,

Got it...Thanks.

-O

:D

Yes..Nonthaburi...and I did bring with me an IDL from the UK as well as my UK licence..plus letter from BE plus doctors cert..plus copies of all including pessport as have a non imm O. They will copy all outside the licence centre for you.

Thanks mate... I dont have the IDL and cant get one without traveling back to Aus. So hopefully my Aus. photo license will be enough otherwise it will be a day of pissing about doing the practical test. :o

Crossy,

Got it...Thanks.

-O

:D

Thanks mate... I dont have the IDL and cant get one without traveling back to Aus. So hopefully my Aus. photo license will be enough otherwise it will be a day of pissing about doing the practical test. :o

Why cant you get someone in Aussie to get a IDP for you? do you have to go in person or just sign the form and let a friend take all docs to the 'post office'.

I wouldn't have liked to have gone to the licence office without my wife..a lot of transulation needed for filling in the forms etc

otherwise it will be a day of pissing about doing the practical test.

Its easy as ABC 123 .Dont worry lol :o

Just found out I can apply for an IDL quite easily through the post... :D

The practical test would be a bit of a laugh though! :D

OK so it saves you wasting a day..is there not some sort of theory test..easier than the uk I believe..my wife spent 6 weeks solid in the uk learning the highway code...she was a pain after that though!!.... Driving in BK is certainly an experience..motor bikes passing both sides and in both directions!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

So I went in this last week to obtain my Thai licence. I had everything in order, pictures, copies, forms etc. but I happen to have a class A commercial licence from the States. Apparently this isn't good enough, my wifes class D car licence from the same state was just fine but they wouldn't accept mine. They did offer to let me take the written and driving tests though! :o

Here's my experience, from just last Friday.

I went to the office opposite Sukhumvit 62/1. I had the following documents with me: NZ passport, work permit, medical certificate (obtained night before for 150 baht from soi 11 clinic), NZ photo driving licence and pics. First things first: I didn't realise that you needed to have photocopies of all these documents, but no problem: there is a lady there armed with photocopies at no charge.

Second thing: Normal passport sized photos are no good. You need photos the size of postage stamps (around 15mm by 15mm) but again, no worries, because you can get them done there too for 70 baht.

If you don't speak Thai, take a local with you. There are absolutely no directions in English and it could be a bit confusing.

I got there at 9am. Bad mistake. They have two times during the morning when they shepherd people in to do the tests - 9am and 11am. This meant I missed the first and had to wait two hours.

But generally speaking it was painless. I gave my papers to the guy at reception. He gave me a number and told me to wait for the tests. With the documents I had there was no need to take a driving or a written test - i just needed to do the four 'perception' tests. They took my documents away to do whatever it is they do with them and I sat and read the paper. At 10.55 they handed the papers back and marshalled about 40 of us through to the test area where we were lined up to do each of the tests. A colour blindness test (picking the colour of little dots on a poster around 10 metres away), a reflex test, a spatial vision test and a depth perception test. No problem at all. Despite being the only farang there, it was very easy. The testers didnt speak any English but just watching what the others did made it pretty simple. They were polite, relatively efficient and seemed keen to ensure they got people through there as quick as possible.

By 11.30 I had my papers signed and had to go to the main area again, collect another number and wait 10 minutes to get my licence made up. 105 baht well spent. There's another desk where they will laminate it for you.

Very painless, except for the wait.

Went to the Jatujak office this morning to obtain my 5 year Thai driving license. The whole process was quick and took about 10 minutes to complete all the neccessary paperwork.

Thai licence was 19 months out of date.

Eu licence expired last december.

Chuay duay.

No problems.

OK, I want a first Thai car license. I have the non imm visa, I will get another proof of address, can pick up whatever photocopies I need a dn a doctor's certificate etc. but I do not know where to go !

I live in Pattaya and wonder if someone can point me in the right direction to the nearest or most convenient location to get my license. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I read your post with great interest, as I am in need of a driving liscence. However, I could not figure out WHERE to go to apply for this liscense - what did I miss?? Is there an address??

Thanks so much for your patience, my email address is: [email protected]

PS: Do you happen to know EXACTLY what documents are required to transfer ownership of a car from one farang to another farang, other than the residency document?? There seems to be a bit of confusion, and I am looking for some help - I can't find anything on this on the forum.

Thanks again

John

Obtaining a 1 Year Licence

What you need is:

1. Passport with a non-immigrant visa

2. Photos for each licence you intend to apply for

3. Medical certificate, from any small clinic - costs about 100 baht

4. Letter from Immigration confirming your address in the area. Just bring your rental agreement alt. house book (if you own your own home) with you.

5. 105 baht for car licence / 55 baht for motorbike - valid 1 year.

It is best if you already have an International Driving Permit,

otherwise you will have to take a written test and a driving test,

in you own vehicle.

After the first year you will be entitled to a licence for 5 years.

Once you have a Thai licence you can also use it to obtain an International Driving Permit.

It seem that these can only be issued it the Morchit Office, in Bangkok,

not at local offices, which is a shame.

I read your post with great interest, as I am in need of a driving liscence. However, I could not figure out WHERE to go to apply for this liscense - what did I miss?? Is there an address??

You need to go to the Land Transportation Office that covers your area, this page should point you in the right direction http://driving.information.in.th/thai-dmv.html

Unfortunately the information for the offices outside Bangkok is only in Thai but if you go to one of these offices you'll need to take a Thai with you anyway, absolutely nothing (except the No-Smoking sign) in English.

QUOTE(tywais @ 2006-03-25 10:13:12)

I thought I would add this link to the pinned topic. Where to apply

Having looked at where to apply I cant understand where to apply in Pattaya! can anyone help?

If you head towards Rayong from Pattaya on the motorway and just before the overpass you will see the Regent school on your right hand side. Do a U-turn and head back 300 meters (just passing the school) you will see a black and white sign in thai language, turn left at this sign and follow the road. You will eventually see a building on your right side. In this building on the second floor you do your DL application.

Torrenova , here is an old post with directions to the office in Pattaya....hopefully this helps!

Archived