Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

Just renewed the motorcycle licence for 5 years at the Chatujak branch.

Was done in under 20 minutes, fee is now 305 baht for 5 year licence.

Make sure the photos that you use when renewing are different than the ones on your expired/expiring licence.

Documents supplied were;

-Proof of residence Stat. Dec. from Embassy (Australian Embassy in my case)

-Passport

-Old licence

-2 x 1 inch photos (can be done at the branch)

Nice easy process, no queues, photocopying, photo and laminating can all be done at the office as usual.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Information here confirmed. Just had my 1 year license issued at the Sukhumvit 62/1 office. I hold a current NSW Australia license. Documents I presented were:

- current Australian license

- Passport

- medical certificate from clinic (100Bt)

- current Work Permit

- two small photographs

Tests:

- colour

- depth perception

- reaction speed

Was all done in less than 1 hour for 105Bt.

finally got round to getting both the car & bike license

the only probelm was when they wanted me to get the licence translated anbd i had to spend 5 minutes pointing out that the UK d/l has a picture of the car and the bike so did they want a thai drawing instead?

So aprt from that and over 3 hours standing in various queues it was actually very easy.

for phuket

be at booth 3 at 9am with required docs - passport photo's are too big you need miniscule ones but there is a booth there you can get them in for 70 baht for 6

if you have a w/p you do not need embassy letter

you will need a copy of the medical if you want both the car & bike licence as its two seperate applications

so hand in all the crap and wait. then you go upstairs and wait some more for the eyes test and reaction test. Very funny watching the reactions tests some people feet don't even move. they just watch the red light come on and do nothing. collect the signed papers from there once you have passed and back down to booth 2.

wait some more

go to booth 1 to pay when your number is called out - if you want the d/l laminated its an extra 10 baht - they ask you. pay and then

wait some more whilst watching the photo's and d/l all being made by hand a bit like watching a blue peter show :o

after some more waiting and 105 baht for the car and 55 for the bike you are good to go!!

and i got stopped on the way home so got to use it staright away :D

bit of a hassle but worth it. now i just need to work out which one is the bike and which one is the car........

I don't have a Thai licence and AIA (American) paid out on a minor claim I had last year when the Vios was banged by a Bangkok bus. I admitted I was in the wrong too, but they still paid. The AIA agent, who is also a family friend, said the coverage is valid as long as I have a valid International or (in my case) Australian licence. I have both.

I do intend to get a Thai licence, I just haven't bothered yet.

Rumor has it the cops are less inclined to extort bribes if you produce a Thai licence, but I can't vouch for that.

One point about buying a car here, if its registered in one province and you live in another province, don't forget to transfer the vehicle registration to the new province after you buy it. Gets very complicated later if you forget to do it (I can vouch from experience).

Hi I want to know if and how i can get a Thai International DL if I am not realy living in Thailand

My situation is as follows:

-I have lived in thailand for 1 1/2 jears.

-Now i am in germany.

-I will soon go back to thailand on an Non-I Visa

-In thailand I want to apply for a Thai International DL (for motorcycles).

With this, I can aply for a german motorcycle license without paying 3000$ or more for training.

If all this works I could drive motorcycles in germany... :o

Thanks off-the-wall

• 1 month later...

While living in Thailand a German can drive in Germany with Thai-licence combined with the Thai IDP.

For emperor_tud it might be too late, upon return the IDP still can be used for 6 months and than the German driving test must be passed.

So these 6 months 'training' save taking expensive driving lessons.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a Thai license or an Iternational Driving permit (IDP) but want a Thai license. I have emailed the RAC and AA in the UK but to no avail. Surely there is some way to first get the IDP without having to go back to the UK.

Anyone have any answers in this position ?

Cheers

While living in Thailand a German can drive in Germany with Thai-licence combined with the Thai IDP.

For emperor_tud it might be too late, upon return the IDP still can be used for 6 months and than the German driving test must be passed.

So these 6 months 'training' save taking expensive driving lessons.

yea thats what i want to do !

so is it easy to aply for a THAI!!! international DL

is it done at the same office as the normal license ?

do i need some sort of test for getting it ? (I am talking about the, INTERNATIONAL THAI DL)

can I aply for both at the same time ?

I don't have a Thai license or an Iternational Driving permit (IDP) but want a Thai license. I have emailed the RAC and AA in the UK but to no avail. Surely there is some way to first get the IDP without having to go back to the UK.

Cheers

As long as you have a valid UK/EU DL and an address in the UK then no problem.

Just get the form over the internet fill it in plus pic /cheque (Brit Bank) and send it off to be delivered to your UK etc...and get somebody to send it back out to you..... :o

What is an International Driving Permit (IDP)?

An IDP is a formal document issued to visitors to another country which translates details of a driving licence into several languages, enabling foreign authorities to interpret the driving entitlements held, their validity periods and the identity of the holder. They are issued by the Automobile Association (The AA), Royal Automobile Club (RAC), RSAC and Green Flag Motoring Assistance Recovery Club.

To get an IDP, you must be resident in GB, have passed a driving test and be over 18 years of age. The fee for a permit is £5.50.

Any enquiries about IDPs eg ‘How to apply?’ should be directed to one of the motoring organisations listed above.

apply here>>>>

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp002.html

Cheers

As long as you have a valid UK/EU DL and an address in the UK then no problem.

Just get the form over the internet fill it in plus pic /cheque (Brit Bank) and send it off to be delivered to your UK etc...and get somebody to send it back out to you..... :o

What is an International Driving Permit (IDP)?

An IDP is a formal document issued to visitors to another country which translates details of a driving licence into several languages, enabling foreign authorities to interpret the driving entitlements held, their validity periods and the identity of the holder. They are issued by the Automobile Association (The AA), Royal Automobile Club (RAC), RSAC and Green Flag Motoring Assistance Recovery Club.

To get an IDP, you must be resident in GB, have passed a driving test and be over 18 years of age. The fee for a permit is £5.50.

Any enquiries about IDPs eg ‘How to apply?’ should be directed to one of the motoring organisations listed above.

apply here>>>>

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp002.html

Note: you can get licence over-the-counter at Post Office in UK

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that this doen't help the original question (how to get licence without visiting UK), but in case it hasn't been pointed out before it might be useful for members to know that the simplest and quickest way to get the licence when you are in the UK is to walk into a large Post Office where they are issued on the spot over the counter (subject to documents, photos, fee etc). Generally at least one PO in each town will be capable of doing this. I expect that you can find out from the Post Office Web site which POs offer this service. The Post Office acts as an agent for the Automobile Association and issues the AA version of the licence at the standard price. I always get mine this way.

Sorry, for "licence" in my last post (my mistake), please read "International Driving Permit".

Although we loosely call it "International Driving Licence", we shouldn't, since it's not a licence as such, as has already been pointed out, but rather a certification/validation of your national licence.

I must have missed something here.

You have a normal UK licence? Yes? Is that also a motorcycle licence? So can't you get a UK International licence at the post office? Won't that then let you drive/ride in Germany? Why do you need a Thai one? Sorry if I missed something???

Just renewed my (expired) 1 year licence, got 5 year in under an hour (Pathum Thani office). Usual list of documents, usual random queueing :o

One point that may be worth bearing in mind:-

The nice lady at the desk noted that my licence now expires AFTER my passport. Since the computer system uses the ID card (passport) number to reference, she said I should keep a copy of my OLD passport as well as the new one so that the system can find the records easily at next (and apparently every other) renewal.

Just returned from getting my Thai lic. at the Chanthaburi office and the entire staff were very friendly and helpful. Document(s) shown were;

International lic.

U.S. drivers lic.

Photo of first page of passport & the page with retirement stamp

Health cert. (issued within 30 days)

Resident Certificate (free)

Picture (2)

because of age had to take color test and breaking test (very easy)

• 2 weeks later...
Just returned from getting my Thai lic. at the Chanthaburi office and the entire staff were very friendly and helpful. Document(s) shown were;

International lic.

U.S. drivers lic.

Photo of first page of passport & the page with retirement stamp

Health cert. (issued within 30 days)

Resident Certificate (free)

Picture (2)

because of age had to take color test and breaking test (very easy)

Just got my first Thai licence on retirement visa and letter from the embassy plus as posted here, the British embassy also gives you an aid-memoir of what you need. I went to Cahatuchak building 4, 2nd floor where Photos of the right size are available, cost 70 baht for six. The ladies on inquiries checks your papers and directs you from there. I was not asked to take a medical but did a reaction test .75 secs three tries allowed, depth perception colour blindness, and periphery vision. Then to the theory exam which I had boffed-up on but was not given, probably justified by the International licence which suggests that you know the system of signs.They did not want my British licence. !05 Baht and that was all there was. I believe there is a place to get the "five deseases" clearance close by if that should be required under different management later. The letter from embassy must be less than a year old and as already known a work permit will do instead. I mentioned the shock of people living on the economy paying the embassy and they were concerned and suggested a letter from Immigration is much cheaper.

Renewed my 1 year licenses (car and motorbike) today to 5 year licenses

Both licenses expired on 5 December last year

Went with the following :

1. Expired license

2. Copy of foto page of passport and 1 year extension page (both signed)

3. Original of residence certificate received free from Immigration stating purpose of use

4. Two ID pictures

Filled in form, was issued both licenses within 40 minutes

Cost 505 baht for car and 255 baht for motorbike + 20 baht to have them both platified

Did the application in Uttaradit

Got the Residence certificates last september when I did my extension in Nan Immigration

Note that the application for the 5 year license must be made after expiry of the 1 year one but not later than 1 year after the expiry of the 1 year license.

Was told that the renewal of the 5 years licence must also be done within one year of the expiry of the old one.

If applying for a Thai License for first time based upon UK licence and IDP.

Will the Yellow House registration book (for non Thai Nationals) I own, suffice for proof of residential address instead of the Immigration "proof of address" letter.

I feel this book should be the ultimate document for proof of address, but hopefully someone can confirm this for me.

Regards, David Glew

Got the Residence certificates last september when I did my extension in Nan Immigration

How did you get this proof of residency. I had to get my letter from UK embassy at some exhorbitant cost?

Firstly, my understanding is that we have a right to the Yellow book if living permanently in Thailand with a suitable Visa (in my case Non Immigrant O Visa -retirement). My understanding is also that the house owner where we live is supposed to report a Non Thai's residence at their house to the authorities and that is why the Yellow book is supplied as we cannot be entered in the Blue Thai National book.

OK the procedure:

My wife asked a man (who works for Immigration checking passports at a local domestic airport),who lives close to our Amphur office if he would guarantee me in writing and confirm my address and details (this he did but I was told by my wife I should donate a small monetary present for his time and help). I understand any Thai can guarantee but if they work for the civil service of respected employment position that it is accepted more readily as trustworthy.

We went with my wife's house book (blue), my passport, our marriage certificate and a couple of envelopes and letters addressed to my Thai address and needed TWO photos. I ALSO had to have my passport translated into Thai at a translation bureau next door (First time I have ever had to do this as my Passport "as is" has been accepted always without Thai translation EVERYWHERE before ). I told my wife that I suspected it was probably more a deal with Bureau next door than an actual legal requirement (maybe I am being unfair with this belief but i have married twice, divorced once, got my Visas etc. all on an untranslated UK passport).

The lady readily and easily accepted the application and said the book would be a week. (my wife and I also had to complete a couple of forms I could not read. NOTE They did want my mother and father's Full names (I do not know why). This was problematical for me as my father died when I was four and I was not sure of his 2 middle names at first and I had to go home to look them up (to be honest I think I could have said anything or just left out the middle names completely).

After a week we were told it would be up to 3 months. I told my wife this is ridiculous as it is SUPPOSED to be quick and easy to produce (and is for a Thai). My wife's Aunt has a friend who knows a friend who work at the Amphur office (I am sure you can guess what's coming).

To cut a usual story short. The friend asked his friend working in the Amphur office to speak to the section concerned and see if it could be speed up.

We got a phone call saying it was ready the next day. My wife told me I should thank the friend and his friend at the Amphur office with a small monetary gift for their time and help. I was also told it would be a nice gesture to thank the lady who actually processed the book. Total cost of all these thanks was about 2000 baht. To be honest the ONLY one I felt reasonable was the man guaranteeing me because he had to go to the Amphur Officer, wait 40 minutes and then complete forms. The others should NOT have been necessary as my application should have been processed in order of receipt (and not deliberately held back in the hopes a "thank you" will be offered for "fast tracking". But as they say TIT.

I later found out that the Amphur friend said that she found out that the office often "artificially delayed" Yellow house books for 2 - 3 months but were quicker if offered a "Thank you for fasting tracking".

The incentive used by the friend working in the Amphur office I am told was an assertive (she was senior officer - be it different dept.) " Why are you delaying the Yellow registration book of my cousin's husband?" I am told the reply was Oh I am so sorry I never knew the Farang was husband of your niece. I will process it immediately.

That's I how I got it. But in truth, I would have got eventually with what I submitted and the guaranteeing Thai.

How I hate the Thai system of "thanks" as it often creates the problem. Those willing to accept this system readily, force other to do so if they are to ever get fair or reasonable service. I am VERY rule and law abiding and hate and dislike the whole Thai culture of bribes and thank you. Although with the working hours and awful wages (by Western standards) most endure I am very sympathetic to the reasons the system thrives.

Hope this helps.

Dave

PS just for the record I would NEVER agree to a "thank you" for something I knew to be incorrect or illegal. I will only accept the system to avoid artificial blocks or delays. My wife says "This is Thailand you have to Zig Zig to get things done . If you are 100% correct in everything Dave and you walk a straight line then you will never get anything done in a reasonable time (if at all in some cases) . You must do what everybody else accepts is normal here. You are not in UK now."

I think my wife's "Zig Zag" is a BRILLIANTLY descriptive phrase that perfectly describes reality.

OK, this is a bit of an arcane question, but here goes:

I understand if you have a current International Driving Permit you can avoid having to take the actual tests to get your first Thai driving license (written test and driving test).

I heard somewhere that your IDP needs to be more than SIX MONTHS from expiry to get this test waiver. Now, the IDPs are issued for a full year. Is this really true that it won't be accepted if it is under SIX MONTHS from expiry? Specifically about the Chonburi province office (Pattaya area).

I understand if you have a current International Driving Permit you can avoid having to take the actual tests to get your first Thai driving license (written test and driving test).

I heard somewhere that your IDP needs to be more than SIX MONTHS from expiry to get this test waiver. Now, the IDPs are issued for a full year. Is this really true that it won't be accepted if it is under SIX MONTHS from expiry? Specifically about the Chonburi province office (Pattaya area).

Not heard that one, although every office has slightly different requirements, like everything else here. My IDP was only two months old when I got my first Thai licence.

It is true that an IDP is only valid in thailand for 90 days from entry (but the clock restarts every time you re-enter).

Well, my IDP runs out in March 07 and I applied and got my first license in January 07, so that would be a no, this was at the Chatachak office

I had a UK licence (both parts) which enabled me to get a Thai a yr ago- but only for a car. Then I got a five year last month, only had to do colour blind test,reaction test, & judgement test, then paid the money and got it ,of course I had brought all the right docs with me. It was then I decided to do the Thai motorbike test. Once again got the right docs with me, got there early on Monday morning having been swotting up on my signs over the weekend, the rest of my Thai highway code book was written in Thai so I couldn't understand it.

I had to sit the theory test 30 questions on a pc screen all MCQ (4 on each question) had one hour to complete, 23 was a pass. Well I thought at first it was a touch screen, there are buttons down below .You get given a credit card with a chip which you put in the slot on the front, and all my questions were thankfully all in ( dodgy)English automatically. I sailed thru the sign questions, but the theory ones are bit more obscure.

i.e. Is it illegal to drive on the public highway?

A) A tank

B) A car without a windscreen

C) A racing car with permission

D) A farm machine

answer - B

i.e Where is it illegal to do a U turn?

A) Under a bridge

B) In a safety zone

C) Within 150 meters from a junction

D) At a traffic intersection

answer - D

I didn't have a clue - needless to say I failed the test, so I went back to the lady and she let me re-sit and I passed with 23. Then I went outside and did a practical motorbike test, this included a few stops under supervision from another examiner, also a slalom ,a few imaginary junctions, and a pedestrian crossing. I had to drive along a raised concrete slab for a few meters. Then once done back inside to get my licence.

It took half a day to do ,so allow plenty of time.

I only had my UK license (not IDP) and correct forms etc, took the colour blindness, reaction and peripheral vision tests and that was it. No written or driving test. Because our tests are more rigorous they expect farangs to be able to drive properly I was told.

How did you get this proof of residency. I had to get my letter from UK embassy at some exhorbitant cost?

The residence certificate was given to me (free of charge) at my immigration office which is located in Nan upon asking for it.

One for car license and one for motorbike

Yes the UK Embassy charges just under 2k baht for that service !

Archived