Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obtaining a 5 Year Licence

Documents needed:

1. Your old, expired Thai driving licence. (On the date you apply, your licence must have already expired.)

2. Photocopies of the following pages of your passport:

- the page with your photograph and name

- the non-immigrant visa

- the departure card ("TM... card" - stapled in your passport)

- the last arrival stamp ("Admitted Until" stamp)

- the last "Application Of Stay" extension stamp.

All pages must be signed by you.

3. 2 Photographs for each licence: 1 inch square (2.5 cm square) excluding the white border, which will be cut off.

It must show your complete face, neck and top of shoulders.

4. A photocopy of and the original document, which is a letter or form (bottom of TM47 form) from Immigration confirming your address in Thailand. They will keep the photocopy and give you back the original document.

The photocopy must be signed by you.

5. 505 baht for car licence / 255 baht for motorbike - valid 5 years minimum, up to your next birthday after 5 full years.

Note: no medical certificate is required.

The above was the case at Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office, 25/7/2005, http://www.phuketdir.com/pkttransport . (There is an error on this page: it says the photo must be 2.5 inches. It should be 2.5 cm).

Renewed my Licence this morning in Koh Samui - took 20 minutes - now have a five year licence.

If you have a Work Permit, you do not need the letter from Immigration

Great news!

So is it then to go before or after expiry date?

Does one need to do any tests?

Thank You

Potter

No test, and I went on the day my permit expired.

My husband also went on the day his permit expired and he got a 5 year license.

Anyone know if this is true in BKK as well? Would save me the hassle of going to the embassy for proof of address :o

EDIT: This is to exchange my IDP btw not renew an existing Thai license

Last year I renewed my licence on a tourist visa and was given only 1 year, I didn't have a letter from immigration or the embassy.

Today I went to renew it again on a Non Imm B and was told I need a letter from my embassy or a work permit. They didn't mention anything about a letter from immigration.

How do I get the letter from immigration and what supporting documents do I need?

The address on my licence is Victory Monument area, but I now live in Phrahkanong. Can I get my license renewed at Sukumvit 62?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
What are the potential problems if you drive a car in Thailand and do not have a Thai Driving license?

I have a Uk license.

You will be fined. But a much worse problem, in case of an accident your insurance comapny might

refuse settlement as you do not have a Thai licence as shown in most insurnce policies in the small print.

Anyone know if this is true in BKK as well? Would save me the hassle of going to the embassy for proof of address :o

EDIT: This is to exchange my IDP btw not renew an existing Thai license

Yes, true anywhere, because the work permit has your address and you must have the proper visa to have a work permit, so if you have a work permit eveything else is in order.

• 2 weeks later...

Does one need to do the written again after 1 year to obtain the 5 year license?

Thanks Potter

No, just bring your expiored licence, Passport (and 1 signed copy of photo page)

Visa page and non immigrant visa page (and 1 signed copy of each)

Two 1 inch photos, do it on the premises, they know the right size.

Last time I did on Sukhumvit in BKK (No. 3-office) it took 1 hour.

Earlier posts indicate you also need a letter from your embassy certifying your address to get the 5 year license. Was this document required when you recently got your 5 year license?

Does one need to do the written again after 1 year to obtain the 5 year license?

Thanks Potter

No, just bring your expiored licence, Passport (and 1 signed copy of photo page)

Earlier posts indicate you also need a letter from your embassy certifying your address to get the 5 year license. Was this document required when you recently got your 5 year license?

I just tried to get a one year license in Nakhon Sawan taking my (wife's) house book, passport with non imm 'o' visa, UK license, International permit, photo's. What I also needed was a doctor's certificate and letter from embassy proving residence. Then apparently all I need to do is a colour blind test.

Anyone know if I can get legal proof of residence anywhere closer than going to BKK - amphur is not enough?

Pattaya March 1.

Expired DRL

Copy passport photo page

Copy Non Imm visa

Copy entry stamp

Copy TM page (departure card)

Residential certificate (obtained from immigration)

New photos.

No tests.

Took 20 minutes in all. Come early and be sure your DRL has expired.

Thanks Potter

Can I get 'proof of residence' with my (wife's) house book - it has her married name but not mine?? And, as asked previously, is the consulate in BKK the closest place to Nakhon Sawan to get the address certified?

Can I get 'proof of residence' with my (wife's) house book - it has her married name but not mine?? And, as asked previously, is the consulate in BKK the closest place to Nakhon Sawan to get the address certified?

Just received my IDP from UK.Thanks totster for posting the forms for the idp in your earlier post.Did it all from Thailand and had the people renting my house in UK send it out to me,no hasstle.

Now I want to apply for a Thai license.I have one of those yellow tabien bann thingy's, would that be sufficient as proof of address.Certainly ennabled me to buy a car in my name. cheers. :o

I held a one year Thai driver's license back in 2003. I returned to my home country for two years (before getting the five year) and am now coming back to Thailand next month. I'll need to get a fresh license. Do I need to start the entire process over from the beginning or does my old Thai license do anything for me? Thanks.

I thought I would add this link to the pinned topic. Where to apply

It still doesn't say how I get the letter from immigration/embassy and what supporting documents I need for proof of residence - will my wife's tabien baan do?

Look a little further at that page and you find this: Applying for DL

I have looked and all it says is ..."A certified letter of address from the applicant's embassy, or from the Immigration Bureau (document can not be older than 30 days).

Tip: The letter from the embassy is the fastest option, but the immigration office will provide this service for free. However, it will take them 3-6 weeks to complete and an officer from your local police station will visit your place of residence for verification."

What do I need to show to get this 'certified letter of address'?

QUOTE(tywais @ 2006-03-25 10:13:12)

Having looked at where to apply I cant understand where to apply in Pattaya! can anyone help?

If you head towards Rayong from Pattaya on the motorway and just before the overpass you will see the Regent school on your right hand side. Do a U-turn and head back 300 meters (just passing the school) you will see a black and white sign in thai language, turn left at this sign and follow the road. You will eventually see a building on your right side. In this building on the second floor you do your DL application.

• 2 weeks later...

Having looked at where to apply I cant understand where to apply in Pattaya! can anyone help?

If you head towards Rayong from Pattaya on the motorway and just before the overpass you will see the Regent school on your right hand side. Do a U-turn and head back 300 meters (just passing the school) you will see a black and white sign in thai language, turn left at this sign and follow the road. You will eventually see a building on your right side. In this building on the second floor you do your DL application.

Anyone have advice on the best time or best days to go to the Pattaya Driving Licensing Office for quick service. I was there twice this week because I was getting a replacement for a lost 1 year licence. On the first occasion when I arrived at about 10 am there were about 100 people ahead of me and I had to wait 3 hours. The next day I arrived at 8.15 - they start business at 8.30 - and I was number 68 - so another 2 hours wait to be seen and a further 2 hours waiting for the new licence. I will shortly be applying for a 5 year licence so any advice would be appreciated.

Anyone have advice on the best time or best days to go to the Pattaya Driving Licensing Office for quick service. I was there twice this week because I was getting a replacement for a lost 1 year licence. On the first occasion when I arrived at about 10 am there were about 100 people ahead of me and I had to wait 3 hours. The next day I arrived at 8.15 - they start business at 8.30 - and I was number 68 - so another 2 hours wait to be seen and a further 2 hours waiting for the new licence. I will shortly be applying for a 5 year licence so any advice would be appreciated.

Mondays are bad.

Fridays are bad.

Any time before or after a public holiday is bad.

There are no good times - they are always busy so just get there very early.

The 5-year licence is very easy to get. No forms to fill in, no medical cert., no Immigration letter (unless you have changed address). Just take your expired Thai licence, your passport (and a copy), two photos (you can get these done at any one of a number of shop-houses across the road from the Centre) and 505 Baht. Takes all of 30 minutes - if you get there early.

DM

Mondays are bad.

Fridays are bad.

Any time before or after a public holiday is bad.

There are no good times - they are always busy so just get there very early.

The 5-year licence is very easy to get. No forms to fill in, no medical cert., no Immigration letter (unless you have changed address). Just take your expired Thai licence, your passport (and a copy), two photos (you can get these done at any one of a number of shop-houses across the road from the Centre) and 505 Baht. Takes all of 30 minutes - if you get there early.

DM

Thanks Doctormann. My first visit this week was, in fact, on Monday and since Songkran wasn't far off, I probably hit one of the worst times. I don't recall it being anything like as busy when I was there last year getting the licence.

Archived