Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

Your test, then, was real. At least your first post here sounded as if some Thai doctor signed the paper without giving you a test. My doctor was a real ophthalmologist MD surgeon, and she sent me to a technician who put my head inside a big hemisphere. She kept introducing stronger or weaker pinpoints of light at random, left right up down, against a white background. I pushed the hand-held button when I saw it. I wasn't allowed to look away from center, either. The tests results came down to a number of degrees (two numbers), which I passed.

Oh, and does your license say in Thai that you only have one eye, but that you passed the test? Both my car and m/c licenses say that.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, and does your license say in Thai that you only have one eye, but that you passed the test? Both my car and m/c licenses say that.

No they don't. Obviously i have a certificate on my records that state the condition of my one good eye, i.e. good enough to drive :o

I did not try to besmirch the hospital or doctor, the technician was very accomodating, especially allowing me two attempts.

The point was this dept of the hospital was stacked up with people 60+, me the only farang, and I'm pretty sure I was treated preferentially without me asking, not that I would.

I've been there previously with family people who were dying, so I know the difference when u get treated well.

Well I took my test yesterday. One of 3 out of the group of 8 to pass. They did say next month the written rest goes electronic. Also I was allowed to do the test in English. The only hard bit was when they were explaining what to do in the driving test. I told my wife as I was last I'd just take note what the others did leaving out the mistakes. :o

If the Aus embassy can't renew your licence (they can do some states), you actually do have to go back to have it renewed. Ridiculous but true. Otherwise, I got my Thai licence on presentation of my Australian licence plus the other documents mentioned.

I got my proof of residence from the local Immigration Police office. Ten minutes, a couple of hundred baht, no trip to the embassy.

Or am I confused with the residency proof for registering my motor vehcile with the proof for a driving license?

I went to Immigration yesterday and tried to get same form, but was told until i extend my non Imm O they cant give a address form, just thought i would post this to save anyone with the same situation some time, went to Australian embassy and did a Statutory Declaration instead which was 570 baht for them to stamp it but very quick.

baz

[You can download all the forms from the Thai immigration website all in m/word format and have them filled in before you go easy and looks more effecient.]

macb

Obtaining a 1 Year Licence

What you need is:

1. Passport with a non-immigrant visa

2. Photos for each licence you intend to apply for

3. Medical certificate, from any small clinic - costs about 100 baht

4. Letter from Immigration confirming your address in the area. Just bring your rental agreement alt. house book (if you own your own home) with you.

5. 105 baht for car licence / 55 baht for motorbike - valid 1 year.

It is best if you already have an International Driving Permit,

otherwise you will have to take a written test and a driving test,

in you own vehicle.

After the first year you will be entitled to a licence for 5 years.

How long can i drive on an international licence in Thailand

I'll be applying for a license soon and was just wondering what address to use? My wife uses and upcountry address, even though we live in Bangkok. I also report our current apartment address to immigration every 90 days. Should I use her provincial address or my immigration address?

Don't know about Korat, but I got both car and bike licenses (1 year) on Friday at Sukhumvit 62? in BKK. :D

• Work permit was taken as proof of address
  • 2 sets of everything required for two licenses (that's 4 pictures total)
  • Must arrive at 8:00 am for the vision tests (color, peripheral, depth, and a braking reflexes test)
  • 2 hour driving 'class' and video starts at 9:00 am and is not optional (All in Thai)
  • Electronic tests in English (I think there is an option to redo if more than 7 of 30 missed, as long as your 30 minutes isn't up)
  • Take the same test 2 times for two licenses (I marked mine mc and car in the upper corner before laminating since they are the same except for the Thai writing across the top)
  • Wait until 1:00 before the driving tests start
  • New Honda cars for rent (100Bt) for the driving test (My old US license had expired)
  • New Honda bike for rent for the mc driving test
  • If you bump a cone during parallel parking, you're out for the day! Lots of Thais were doing that!
  • You have 90 days to complete this entire process from the time you first apply.
  • A bit tedious, but the staff were all friendly! (Probably easier to watch the dates on your home country license a little more closely!)

My 2 cents! :o

Sounds like if I take my current Hawaii state drivers license, that they will waive the written and driving test for that, right? I don't have an International endorsement, which sounds like a 50/50 chance based on what I've read.

Since I don't have a motorcycle endorsement on my Hawaii license, I will have to take both the written and driving test, right? What is required of the motorcycle driving test? Just weaving through cones?

Does anybody know if the Pattaya office also requires you to be there by 0800 to start the process?

Does the Pattaya office rent bikes/cars, too? If I have to take both driving tests, it's hard to have one of each of my own available. :-)

One office one time doesn't make me an expert, but...

if you're applying based on an unexpired US license and without a work permit, then I believe you need the letter from the embassy to confirm your Thai address; a buddy did last year in BKK. Read above for alternative sources.

Yes, MC will require both written and driving; cones, headlight on, lots of turn signal use- even on curves on the track, no stopping- except at stop signs, no foot down. One girl was going so slowly through the slalom I was sure she would tip over, but she didn't! :o

Sorry, no help on other offices.

Good luck!

One girl was going so slowly through the slalom I was sure she would tip over, but she didn't! :o
I might give her a run for her money. I wonder where the point comes that they say "C'mon, c'mon speed it up!"

• 3 weeks later...
Well I took my test yesterday. One of 3 out of the group of 8 to pass. They did say next month the written rest goes electronic. Also I was allowed to do the test in English. The only hard bit was when they were explaining what to do in the driving test. I told my wife as I was last I'd just take note what the others did leaving out the mistakes. :o

I took my car 'test' in Nakhon Sawan and there was no driving or writing involved. Just reaction test, peripheral and colour vision tests. They looked at my UK license, asked how long I'd been driving (38 years) and just ticked all the boxes and got my one year license. The most troublesome and expensive part was getting my proof of residence at the UK Consul in BKK, they rip you off for everything and try to be as unhelpful as they can.

Just called the Dept of Land Transportation's Head Office in Bangkok and they stated that they no longer accept a letter from Immigration when applying for or renewing a Thai driver's license. YOU NEED TO GET A LETTER OF RESIDENCY IN THAILAND FROM YOUR EMBASSY. But please note you do not need such a letter that is very costly from your embassy if you have a valid work permit that states your current address.

So, to get your new 5 year Thai license, you also need to have 2 1" photos, a copy of your passport, and your old, expired Thai license.

Perhaps others will have different expriences but this was what I was told from two different officers I talked to.

Also, one has 1 full year to apply to extend one's expired 1 year license. Make sure you go get your license a day after it expires to ensure you get a 5 year licence!

I went to the Jatujak office this morning to obtain my 5 year Thai driving license. The whole process was quick and took about 10 minutes to complete all the neccessary paperwork.

The only thing that could have been a problem was that I tried to give them a photocopy of my letter of residency in Thailand from my embassy. They asked me for the original copy. As I won't be applying for another driving license for another 5 years, I just gave them the original copy to save any hassle. I wonder what would have happened if I couldn't have supplied them with the original copy? :o

If my work permit has my address in samutprakan can i get a new licence at pattaya office? New--not renewel?

and if so how long does it talke at the pattaya office to ge through the whole process test etc...

Samutprakan they say start early morn and should have the license by 3:30 PM-if can pass all tests

I went to the Jatujak office this morning to obtain my 5 year Thai driving license. The whole process was quick and took about 10 minutes to complete all the neccessary paperwork.

The only thing that could have been a problem was that I tried to give them a photocopy of my letter of residency in Thailand from my embassy. They asked me for the original copy. As I won't be applying for another driving license for another 5 years, I just gave them the original copy to save any hassle. I wonder what would have happened if I couldn't have supplied them with the original copy? :o

็Hi StheD

What proof do you need to produce at embassy to get letter of residency?

TBWG :D

[edit]

I´ve now read that tourists can´t get any license.

######.

You MUST have a Non-Immigrant Visa ( any category )

Hello,

I don’t know if this is new or this is just in Chiang Mai, but I got the license with only a tourist visa and it wasn’t slipped by, we asked and it said clear as day in the English translation that a tourist visa is ok.

:o

็Hi StheD

What proof do you need to produce at embassy to get letter of residency?

TBWG :D

I can't remember exactly what I gave to the UK embassy as it was over a year ago. However, it was pretty simple to obtain. I think you need your tenents agreement of your residence, perhaps a couple of household bills with your name on and obviosly your passport. Then pay them the fee and you can collect the letter the following day.

One bit of advice is to ask them for a few copies of the letter of residency. They gave me 2 without me asking, but I reckon they might give you more if you ask them nicely. :D

Archived