Hypnotherapist: How To Choose A Good One...

CaptainCanuck

Hypnotherapy is effective for weight-loss. If you want to read a recent article, google 'gastric band' and hypnotherapy'. As hypnotherapist, I wouldn't use this method, but shows how effective hypnotherapy can be.

However, most people have a bad experience with hypnotherapy. This frustrates me, so I'm going to post some pointers on how to choose a good hypnotherapist. What follows is my own personel view.

• Ask the Hypnotherpist (HT) if they do rapid inductions. If they don't, your hypnotherapist is probably incompetent. A slow induction is okay durring the first few sessions, but after that it's a waste of time.
  • Ask your HT if they do 'regression' or 'parts therapy'. If they don't, they are, in my opinion, lacking some of the most powerful tools that HT's can use.
  • Ask how long it will take to see results. If you aren't promised results within 6 - 7 sessions, then your HT is probably incompetent.

Don't pay too much attention to accreditation. Good training is, from what I can tell, relatively rare. Use your intuition about the HT, and question them closely.

Be wary of pyschologists/psychotherapists who use hypnotherapy. Often they feel that hypnotherapy is just one of the 'tools' in their toolbox. This means that they might not be as proficient at using it as a regular HT. However, if you find a psychologist or psychotherapist that really loves hypnosis, you've probably struck gold.

What to expect in hypnotherapy:

• The most common misconception is that you loose conciousness in hypnosis. You don't. You can see, hear, talk, and think in hypnosis. Occassionaly some people forget parts of thier sessions, but it's not that common.
  • Hypnosis feels great! Most of my clients come out of a session feeling fantastic. Try scheduling an appointment durring the low-point of your day (afternoon for most people) and you'll come out of it very refreshed.
  • Hypnosis can be emotional. Sometimes we go back to painful memories using hypnosis. This can often be quite un-emotional, or it can be very dramatic. It's a purge, and always at the end of the session clients feel much, much better than they did.

I believe that most people over-eat because they don't want to feel negative feelings. If these feelings aren't dealt with there will always be a problem; there will always be a battle within the self. Using hypnosis I've had fantastic results in lessening or even eliminating these 'intolerable' feelings that drive people to eat. If clients stop feeling bad, they don't over-eat. It's as simple as that.

I hope this information will help anybody looking for a hypnotherapist.

Edited by CaptainCanuck