Notary In Udon Thani?

KBTexas

A friend of ours sent his fiance some papers that need to be notarized. Unfortunately, notary does not seem to translate to Thai, and no one there seems to understand the concept. She asked a lawyer, who wants 5000 baht to take care of it.

So, a couple of questions:

Are there such a thing as notaries in Thailand? Does anyone know the Thai word for a notary or their service?

Where would you find one in Udon Thani? It is a simple bank paper for a dual account so she can use an ATM card in Thailand. Can banks notarize there?

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated!

KBTexas

Edited by KBTexas

A friend of ours sent his fiance some papers that need to be notarized. Unfortunately, notary does not seem to translate to Thai, and no one there seems to understand the concept. She asked a lawyer, who wants 5000 baht to take care of it.

So, a couple of questions:

Are there such a thing as notaries in Thailand? Does anyone know the Thai word for a notary or their service?

Where would you find one in Udon Thani? It is a simple bank paper for a dual account so she can use an ATM card in Thailand. Can banks notarize there?

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated!

KBTexas

There's a lawyer (with english sign on house) in Udon Thani,

this is just opposite the main entrance to Thum Si-Muang, facing the chinese temple archways,

the lawyers cottage house is between a noodle shop and a furniture shop.

Think they quoted something like 3,000 bht for notary work,

... can bargain first, ... sorry, cant remember his name

There's a lawyer (with english sign on house) in Udon Thani,

this is just opposite the main entrance to Thum Si-Muang, facing the chinese temple archways,

the lawyers cottage house is between a noodle shop and a furniture shop.

Think they quoted something like 3,000 bht for notary work,

... can bargain first, ... sorry, cant remember his name

Thanks jerrylee. 3000 baht is still a bit steep to notarize, but better than 5000. Do you know if Thai banks have notaries, or if it is even legal for anyone besides a lawyer to do notary work in Thailand?

Best Regards,

KBTexas

Edited by KBTexas

I think you will find -- as I did -- that the only legally binding Notary for USA purposes is one issued by the Embassy in Bangkok or perhaps the Chiang Mai consulate. Any 'notary' by a Thai attorney would be subject to challenge in the USA especially if for probate purposes. From personal experience I can also tell you that the Embassy is very particular as to what they will or will not notarize or authenticate.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html

The US Embassy will likely not notarize a non-citizen's documents. As I understand it, they will only notarize US citizens, and then for a sizeable fee.

The USMTM (US Military Training Mission) commanding officer has notarial powers but it is very unlikely he will be able to do it for a non-US citizen.

Other than that, get somebody with a raised seal, preferably in the Thai language, to sign their name in Thai and use the etched seal on the document. The bank probably won't know the difference and probably won't care.

I had assumed the bank in KBTexas's OP is in the USA.

from the above link:

Notarial services are performed for any person regardless of nationality if the document will be used in the United States.

The fee for notarial services is $30 for the first notarial seal, and $20 for each additional seal. We accept cash (either Baht or Dollars) or credit cards. We cannot accept personal checks.

from the above link:

Notarial services are performed for any person regardless of nationality if the document will be used in the United States.

The fee for notarial services is $30 for the first notarial seal, and $20 for each additional seal. We accept cash (either Baht or Dollars) or credit cards. We cannot accept personal checks.

Good to know. Thanks for the information.

from the above link:

Thanks jazzbo. Good information.

Indeed the bank is in the US. I had my wife sign while she visited, but our embassy refuses to allow my buddies fiance to come here to visit. You know, those subversive school teachers and all. ;-) So she needs to sign the document to be all legal like for the bank. Of course, the bank makes no adjustment for the fact that notaries are not common in other parts of the world.

Again, thanks for the info.

Best Regards,

Ken B