Today's Experience At Suan Plu

Bank deposit was OK even though the last update in the book was on 12.05.09 because it is a fixed deposit book (no updates show if no transactions) but the bank letter, showing the same balance was issued yesterday (22.06.09).

Had to sign a form in English that I acknowledge and understand that the minimum of 400K has to be in the account for at least 3 months on the date of application for extension.

The bombshell was dropped when the officer informed us that since February this year the marriage certificate alone is no longer enough!!!

They now also need a copy of the Marriage Registrar's book where the marriage was registered (our local Khet).

Had to rush to our Khet, got it in 15min at 20Baht and were back at Suan Plu within one hour (my thanks go to all the taxi drivers who know where the accelerator is - made the round trips in record time); no waiting this time at Suan Plu and now I finally got my 30 days 'under consideration' stamp.

Here is a scan of the document they obviously require now:

post-3742-1245750480_thumb.jpg

opalhort

We have had several reports since February and yours is the first that I recall of that being required. Was it the same immigration officer you had the last time you went.

But at least it's over now.

No it was a different officer. Never had to deal with her before.

Initially we did not understand what she is asking for so she went to some other desk and got two files of other applicants to show us a sample of the required document to make us understand.

I've no idea if it is a typical 'this officer only rule'.

Probably will have to wait till next year to find out.

opalhort

edit: the officer lady was at desk 21

Edited by opalhort

I think they keep them forever. But you would have to go to where you registered your marriage to get it.

I recall it being asked for when a person was doing a change of visa status. But never for a normal extension.

I think it's a nonsense requirement. They are wanting it to verify that you really registered your marriage. If your wifes ID card and house book shows your name there is no way it is a bogus certificate.

Those records are kept for eternity. They are the official marriage records. The colourful certificate you are given when you get married is mostly for decorative purposes, to hang on the wall at home, but they are accepted as proof of marriage most of the time by immigration officers. I wonder if a general change is taking place or if a certified copy of the official record is requested only in some individual cases.

--

Maestro

I don't think it is about individual cases.

We've been married for 15 years, but when you look at it from the Imm view point we may well have divorced along the way but are still on good terms just in order to get the extension.

In case of a divorce the registrar's papers would probably show it somewhere.

Somehow the rule does make sense. We were only annoyed that there was no advance warning from IMM or TV

opalhort

They now also need a copy of the Marriage Registrar's book where the marriage was registered (our local Khet).

I married my wife in the US. Do I have to register the marriage in Thailand? How does it work when marrying a Thai overseas and at some point want to get a Non-O extention based on marriage?

I married my wife in the US. Do I have to register the marriage in Thailand? How does it work when marrying a Thai overseas and at some point want to get a Non-O extention based on marriage?

I have the same question. I am planning to move to Ubon in about two years. I have the option of a marriage visa or retirement visa. My wife is a US citizen plus a Thai citizen also. She has been in the states for 20 years. The last time we visited she received her new Thai ID. It took about 3 days with her sisters’ help. We were in Bangkok at the time. So we had to go to Ubon where she was raised and went to school for the paper work and interviews.

You will need to have your marriage certificate translated to Thai and then have the translation certified at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok. Most translators can get the certification done for you.

Then you go the Amphoe (district office) and they will enter the marriage in their system and updae your wife house book and she will then get a new ID card. They should also give her a family status registration (Kor Ror.22) which immigration may ask for it.

I have the same question. I am planning to move to Ubon in about two years. I have the option of a marriage visa or retirement visa. My wife is a US citizen plus a Thai citizen also. She has been in the states for 20 years. The last time we visited she received her new Thai ID. It took about 3 days with her sisters' help. We were in Bangkok at the time. So we had to go to Ubon where she was raised and went to school for the paper work and interviews.

Go with the retirement visa because less hassle.

Mukdahan are asking for this,I was up there last week to check what was needed for extension based on marriage.Also doctors certificate,same you get for driving license.

Edited by lemsip

I have the same question. I am planning to move to Ubon in about two years. I have the option of a marriage visa or retirement visa. My wife is a US citizen plus a Thai citizen also. She has been in the states for 20 years. The last time we visited she received her new Thai ID. It took about 3 days with her sisters' help. We were in Bangkok at the time. So we had to go to Ubon where she was raised and went to school for the paper work and interviews.

I don't think it is more of a hassle. Is the extra 400K baht in the bank or the 25K more income required worth it.

Is providing 3 more documents, a few photos and having the wife with you for an interview plus an extra trip to immigration that big a hassle.

When I received my Marriage certificate I was given that piece of paper at the same time. When applying for my Marriage extension, my wife added it to the documents, this was last year, but not sure if it was a requirement or my wife thinking ahead. By the way this was at Suan Phlu.

I don't think it is more of a hassle. Is the extra 400K baht in the bank or the 25K more income required worth it.

Is providing 3 more documents, a few photos and having the wife with you for an interview plus an extra trip to immigration that big a hassle.

Showing a monthly income of 45,000 as compared to 65,000 is a big difference for a person on a fixed income (retired). The requirements can change tomorrow, as well as the exchange rates. The extra 400,000 would be safer in the states, as compared to here, where you have absolutely no rights, or protection. Wire transfers work fine when you need a bit more.

Showing a monthly income of 45,000 as compared to 65,000 is a big difference for a person on a fixed income (retired). The requirements can change tomorrow, as well as the exchange rates. The extra 400,000 would be safer in the states, as compared to here, where you have absolutely no rights, or protection. Wire transfers work fine when you need a bit more.

It is 40K not 45K for an extension based upon marriage.

A foreigner has the same rights and protection as a Thai when it comes to bank accounts.

All accounts are guaranteed by the government.

yes me too, less hassle if you just go with a Retirement Visa instead of the Marriage (Retirement) Visa

if you can afford it.

They made my wife and I jump through hoops last year. Even conducted individual 'interrogations' of us both. This included questions like how many fans were in the house, what colours they were, types of Air Conditioners etc., ad infinatum. The humourous part in all this is that after my wife's interrogation they broke for their lunch hour which gave time for my wife to tell me all the questions they had asked her, which came in handy for when I was interrogated AFTER lunch. Maybe they thought even after 24 years of marriage we were still unable to communicate. (It's the 5 Tones you see)

We did not have to produce the paper the OP mentions, but whatever else I didn't have to give them isn't worth mentioning. Reams of paperwork. My wife also had to fill out a couple of extra forms too. Also another Police Check was conducted.

This year, I elected to go with a flat out Retirement Visa - bypass the wife. Alot less hassle.

A damned sight less actually.

A foreingner has the same rights and protection as a Thai when it comes to bank accunts.

All accounts are guranteed by the goverment

You need to get some sleep, Joe!!! :)

Edited by jamesjdaly

Opalhort was asked for his KR2

Correct

We were only surprised because this has never been required for the past 10 extensions (all at Suan Plu) I've gone through under the same conditions.

Is this an old rule which has not been enforced but has now been dusted off or is it a new requirement?

I can't find anything in writing about this requirement.

opalhort

Had to sign a form in English that I acknowledge and understand that the minimum of 400K has to be in the account for at least 3 months on the date of application for extension.

Can you confirm that they wanted to see the money in bank for 3 months and not the 2 months stated in police order 777/2551.

A foreingner has the same rights and protection as a Thai when it comes to bank accunts.

You need to get some sleep, Joe!!! :)

Thanks they are fixed now.

Forgot to put my glasses on. It could also be from reading all the nonsense in the two topics that are now running.

You need to get some sleep, Joe!!! :D

Thanks they are fixed now.

Forgot to put my glasses on. If could also be from reading all the nonsense in the two topics that are now running.

Told you I'd be back to annoy you!!!!! :)

Can you confirm that they wanted to see the money in bank for 3 months and not the 2 months stated in police order 777/2551.

It was 3 months. He had to get a 60 day extension to meet the 3 months requirement.

They said the first time he went it was because he has been getting the same extension for a long time so the new 2 month rule does not apply to him.

That's what some friends of mine said after coming back from KapChong recently. I believe they said that it would be implemented next year for the next visa. I believe that makes it an extra month. I just leave mine in a separate account so as not to worry about it. Only Immigration can confirm anything, especially since it appears to vary from location to location. I take a briefcase along with the folders of all immediate family members. If the paper they require is not in there, then it doesn't exist.

YES I certainly can confirm this (from desk officer and a higher-up one at Suan Plu). The 2 months only applies to a first time application after that it has to be 3 months!

Because of that I ran into problems in April and had to opt for a short 60days 'visit Thai wife' extension. There is a topic about my experience then but right now I can't find it because TV deletes my subscriptions after 15 days of no activity.

Will search for it and post the link later.

opalhort