"diet" Whole Grain Pancakes (no Sugar)

Ulysses G.

The girl at the Garden has been getting lessons from Burger Mike on making food for people on diets and with diabetes - He has turned over a new leaf and gone healthy.

Her first recipe is whole wheat pancakes with a little Equal artificial sweetner instead of sugar. They aren't as good as unhealthy pancakes, but if you are on a diet or have troubles with blood sugar, they might be worth a try.

Most of her other food is from Bake and Bite and at reduced rates. Very nice Garden atmosphere with lots of fans to keep cool and free water.

Great, tnx. Will pass that info onto my friend who has diabetes. Actually, UG, do you also know where he can get hold of stuff like diabetic chocolate per chance?

Great, tnx. Will pass that info onto my friend who has diabetes. Actually, UG, do you also know where he can get hold of stuff like diabetic chocolate per chance?

I am not expert but there is a lot of chocolate that has no sugar in it at all. I bought some once from Rimping. You might have to melt it to add your artificial sweetener, or other acceptable sweetener.

The girl at the Garden has been getting lessons from Burger Mike on making food for people on diets and with diabetes - He has turned over a new leaf and gone healthy.

Her first recipe is whole wheat pancakes with a little Equal artificial sweetner instead of sugar. They aren't as good as unhealthy pancakes, but if you are on a diet or have troubles with blood sugar, they might be worth a try.

Most of her other food is from Bake and Bite and at reduced rates. Very nice Garden atmosphere with lots of fans to keep cool and free water.

which burger mike would that be?

The sweetness of Equal is destroyed by high heat. The addition of sugar to baking is to enhance the action of the yeast, not to sweeten the taste. However sugar is not absolutely essential in baking but if she wants to give the pancakes a sweet taste she should use SUCARYL or SPLENDA they are not affected by heat maybe you could pass this on to her.

which burger mike would that be?

The original Burger Mike who started the chain. I'm hoping that he will do the first real health/whole foods bakery/cafe in Thailand so that I won't have to do it. It sure seems like a winner to me.

Thanks antony77. I certainly will pass that baking tip on to her as she wants to do it right.

The sweetness of Equal is destroyed by high heat. The addition of sugar to baking is to enhance the action of the yeast, not to sweeten the taste. However sugar is not absolutely essential in baking but if she wants to give the pancakes a sweet taste she should use SUCARYL or SPLENDA they are not affected by heat maybe you could pass this on to her.

I didn't realize there was yeast in pancakes.

Whole grains are not processed and have lots of bran, germ, roughage and other things that are good for you and eggs and milk can be quite nutritious if you don't use too much. The point is that these are much healthier than regular pancakes, even if they are not the ideal food (hot gruel with nothing on it).

Whole grains are not processed and have lots of bran, germ, roughage and other things that are good for you and eggs and milk can be quite nutritious if you don't use too much. The point is that these are much healthier than regular pancakes, even if they are not the ideal food (hot gruel with nothing on it).

Maybe if you were on an island starving then these would be o.k. but to even think that this is healthy or a diet food is a misconception that will lead to gaining weight which leads to diabetes.Check out the wholewheat flour here it is almost white with a few specks of roughage in it.

Secondly, if burger mike is doing health food pancakes, etc. i hope he wears a hat and a grease band to keep the sweat and grease from his brow out of the gruel he attempts to sling otherwise the calorie count,salt and fat content is going to skyrocket !!

the above is only a informative human heath warning concerning diet and food preparation and is not intended to offend.

thank you

Edited by gatorhead333

There are places with good wholewheat bread including Bake and Bite and JJ's bakery, so there must be good wholewheat flour available.

Welcome back gator!

if anyone is concerned about weight gain /diabetis then consumption of ALMOST any bread is A NO NO.

There are a few exceptions but none are here in T-land or in CM . If eating bread made with whole wheat makes one feel good about eating with no feelings of guilt ..worry free .. then this is good ! Worrying about anything causes stress which raises your CPR - inflamation markers - inflamation in the arteries increases stroke and heart attack.

So i guess these whole wheat breads serve a function in ones diet in this way .

Please do not think they are diet friendly weight wise and over all heath wise once you are in your 50+'s up with weight concerns all process carbs are restricted food ..if possible eat a tiny amount if any for long healthy life ,

Edited by gatorhead333

if anyone is concerned about weight gain /diabetis then consumption of ALMOST any bread is A NO NO.

There are a few exceptions but none are here in T-land or in CM .

I agree, though you could probably get away with just eating a tiny little bit of it. Talking about half a slice here.

Please do not think they are diet friendly weight wise and over all heath wise once you are in your 50+'s up with weight concerns all process carbs are restricted food ..if possible eat a tiny amount if any for long healthy life ,

Yup.. Unless you're a triathlon athlete or some such.

It was not long ago that scientists were saying that carbs were fine and that fats were the villians, but they seem to change their minds every 5 or 10 years and then change them back again.

One thing that is obvious is that whole grain products are better for us than white flour products and certainly for diabetics.

Personally, I think that whole grains are healthy if eaten in limited quantities, but what do I know?

I've looked in a few grocery stores (Rim Ping, Tops, Carrefour), but haven't found either whole wheat or buckwheat pancake mix. Not the "just-add-water" stuff, but a mix that requires you to add egg and milk. In the States I lost 50 pounds by following the Weight Watchers program and learned I could use these type of pancake mixes, with non-fat milk and egg white instead of whole milk and an entire egg as the directions stated.

Yes, I think that pancakes have yeast. The pancakes were much, much better if I made the mix and let it sit at room temp for about an hour before pouring. I added so many blueberries to my pancakes that Hubby said they really were fried blueberries with pancake dough to hold them together. Of course, we lived in the leading blueberry-producing state and I bought so many during the fresh season that we needed an entire freezer just for a year's supply of blueberries for the pancakes.

I fried them on a non-stick griddle -- no fat or butter used in cooking. Mine had so many blueberries that you didn't need syrup. Oh, I'm missing these now. Anyway, when I did a Weight Watcher analysis on them, they came out very well mainly because of the high fiber from the fruit and the whole wheat/buckwheat.

I know I'm not going to find inexpensive blueberries here, so if someone has found another fruit that works well in pancakes, I'd love to know about it. I figure I can always make pancake batter from scratch using wholewheat flour, yeast and whatever else goes into it.

It is hard to beat blueberries, but the banana pancakes in this part of the world are pretty famous thanks to Joe Cummings of Lonely Planet who is a Chiang Mai resident. He says the best ones in the area are to be found at Liebernard restaurant over near the original Mike's Burgers and their fresh brewed coffee is famous among coffee snobs as well. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I've looked in a few grocery stores (Rim Ping, Tops, Carrefour), but haven't found either whole wheat or buckwheat pancake mix. Not the "just-add-water" stuff, but a mix that requires you to add egg and milk. In the States I lost 50 pounds by following the Weight Watchers program and learned I could use these type of pancake mixes, with non-fat milk and egg white instead of whole milk and an entire egg as the directions stated.

Yes, I think that pancakes have yeast. The pancakes were much, much better if I made the mix and let it sit at room temp for about an hour before pouring. I added so many blueberries to my pancakes that Hubby said they really were fried blueberries with pancake dough to hold them together. Of course, we lived in the leading blueberry-producing state and I bought so many during the fresh season that we needed an entire freezer just for a year's supply of blueberries for the pancakes.

I fried them on a non-stick griddle -- no fat or butter used in cooking. Mine had so many blueberries that you didn't need syrup. Oh, I'm missing these now. Anyway, when I did a Weight Watcher analysis on them, they came out very well mainly because of the high fiber from the fruit and the whole wheat/buckwheat.

I know I'm not going to find inexpensive blueberries here, so if someone has found another fruit that works well in pancakes, I'd love to know about it. I figure I can always make pancake batter from scratch using wholewheat flour, yeast and whatever else goes into it.

There is no yeast. It is baking powder and soda. Easy to make from scratch.

Very easy to make healthy whole wheat pancakes that use fresh fruits and even a little honey as sweetener if you need sweet. A non stick baking pan does nicely or even a griddle with a non stick spray or a teaspoon of sunflower oil.

There is nothing bad about eating carbs. It is the total amount of calories that you take in compared to the total amount of calories you burn on a daily basis. A healthy diet consists primarily of a balance of fats and sweets, proteins, vegetables and fruits and carbohydrates.

In a healthy diet carbohydrates should provide 40 to 50 % of calories. Slower acting carbohydrates are more slowly digested and help maintain even blood glucose levels. Refined carbohydrates more rapidly raise blood glucose levels. Thus slower acting carbohydrates work better to control hunger swings.

There are plenty of good whole wheat flours around. Rimping has a good selection of Australian wheat and all of the bulk whole wheat flour found at the bakery stores are just that, whole wheat.

There is no yeast. It is baking powder and soda. Easy to make from scratch.

Very easy to make healthy whole wheat pancakes that use fresh fruits and even a little honey as sweetener if you need sweet. A non stick baking pan does nicely or even a griddle with a non stick spray or a teaspoon of sunflower oil.

There is nothing bad about eating carbs. It is the total amount of calories that you take in compared to the total amount of calories you burn on a daily basis. A healthy diet consists primarily of a balance of fats and sweets, proteins, vegetables and fruits and carbohydrates.

In a healthy diet carbohydrates should provide 40 to 50 % of calories. Slower acting carbohydrates are more slowly digested and help maintain even blood glucose levels. Refined carbohydrates more rapidly raise blood glucose levels. Thus slower acting carbohydrates work better to control hunger swings.

There are plenty of good whole wheat flours around. Rimping has a good selection of Australian wheat and all of the bulk whole wheat flour found at the bakery stores are just that, whole wheat.

nothing wrong at all just gobble up those carbs.....

if you like being a very round dough boy!!

not a big pancake fan myself but I'm glad to see gatorhead back I thought he'd been banned :)

banned?? what for?? i think you mean tagged?

Aunt Jamima loves her pancakes ..

come on down boy and girls

Make Breakfast Special

with Aunt Jemima

carbs... yummy yum yum !!

have some fun ,

good for the tum ,

very soon come

when you done

weigh a ton

[/b]see how you look and feel after eating these beast below... make sure you use whole wheat flour and remember no sugar!!

Banana Bread Pancakes

• 2 medium firm-ripe bananas, peeled, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 2 cups Aunt Jemima® Buttermilk Complete Pancake & Waffle Mix
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (about 2 medium bananas)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup Aunt Jemima® Syrup, warmed
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted if desired

post-77745-1245890105_thumb.jpg

Edited by gatorhead333

Oh bananas, I'd forgotten about using those in pancakes. The little Thai bananas are really sweet.

Gatorhead, you are going to pack on the pounds if you use that recipe to make pancakes.

The "complete" mixes are much higher in fat and lower in fiber than the "incomplete" mixes where you have to add your own egg and milk. That way you can use non-fat milk and eggs without the yolks to cut the calories instead of just going with whatever they put in the "complete" mix. Thai bananas seem sweeter than the ones we got in the States, so I'd just put a couple teaspoons of a Splenda/cinnamon mix on the sliced bananas and let them sit for a few minutes prior to adding to the batter. No need to add sugar to a mix. And why the pecans? That's another unnecessary source of calories. You could easily adjust this recipe to make it much healthier.

Getgoin's right. You gain weight when you consume more calories than you burn. Carbs are very much a part of a healthy diet. For me, I need lots of fiber to feel full. The whole grain pancakes kept me from getting hungry all morning.

I'm off to research pancake recipes on-line and make a trip to Rim Ping Supermarket. And to think that Canadian guy wondered how we fill our time here as retirees! This little project should keep me busy all day.

Oh bananas, I'd forgotten about using those in pancakes. The little Thai bananas are really sweet.

Gatorhead, you are going to pack on the pounds if you use that recipe to make pancakes.

=============================================================

Now some of us don't worry so much about a few carbs. Besides according to a new Japanese study it seems that even obese people live 5 years longer than skinny folks, and those carrying a few pounds extra live 6 years longer. Don't go bonkers, look it up on the internet before calling me crazy.

Now my recipie adds a bit to the midriff, but my wife loves them (

Standard mix

add a handful of blueberries as soon as you pour batter onto grill

add very thin sliced pineapple as soon as you flip to other side

after plating pour some maple syrup on top then add thin sliced almonds as well as thin sliced bananas

cover with whipped cream, more sliced almonds and pig out.

ok for you diabetics, I read this on thai visa a few years back. Bitter melon tea drank after each meal will help control blood sugar. My sister has drank this for a few years following my advice and her blood sugar is fine now. She still drinks it religiously

Also drink immortality tea (gynostemma pentaphyllum) to regulate your body balance

If you try these please look up on net and see what if any problems can occur. Maybe the bitter melon tea will lower too much if you on meds.

Edited by mogoso

The "complete" mixes are much higher in fat and lower in fiber than the "incomplete" mixes where you have to add your own egg and milk. That way you can use non-fat milk and eggs without the yolks to cut the calories instead of just going with whatever they put in the "complete" mix. Thai bananas seem sweeter than the ones we got in the States, so I'd just put a couple teaspoons of a Splenda/cinnamon mix on the sliced bananas and let them sit for a few minutes prior to adding to the batter. No need to add sugar to a mix. And why the pecans? That's another unnecessary source of calories. You could easily adjust this recipe to make it much healthier.

Getgoin's right. You gain weight when you consume more calories than you burn. Carbs are very much a part of a healthy diet. For me, I need lots of fiber to feel full. The whole grain pancakes kept me from getting hungry all morning.

I'm off to research pancake recipes on-line and make a trip to Rim Ping Supermarket. And to think that Canadian guy wondered how we fill our time here as retirees! This little project should keep me busy all day.

your 1950's thinking about food groups is very cute!

o.k. eat a siver dollars size pancake for breakfast if you must have a carb fix..

bananas you eat to put on the pounds.they are weight gainers too, just ask aunt jamima!

the Pillsberry dough boy on the television comes to mind..

But how do these pancakes go with bacon eggs butter and heaps of maple syrup?

Thanks for the reminder harry. I'm coming to LOS in 3 days, and will get some Canadian Maple Syrup for a few gifts for the relatives.

www.examiner.com/x-14566-Austin-Longevity-Examiner~y2009m6d:20-Do-chubby-people-live-the-longest

I hope I've type the address correctly, anyway I felt I should put this up to save you all the trouble of hunting it down.

o.k. eat a siver dollars size pancake for breakfast if you must have a carb fix..

bananas you eat to put on the pounds.they are weight gainers too, just ask aunt jamima!

Let's see,

Banana 1 medium 80 cal. 20 gr. carbs

Apple 1 medium 90 cal. 23 gr. carbs

Durian 125 grams 165 cal. 28 gr. carbs

Grapes 130 grams 100 cal. 24 gr. carbs

Mango 1/2 medium 70 cal. 11 gr. carbs

Pineapple 125 grams 75 cal. 19 gr. carbs

Tangerine 1 medium 50 cal. 12 gr. carbs

Lychees 4 fruit 25 cal. 6 gr. carbs

The list goes on with the citrus and some of the Thai white fleshed fruits having the lessor calories and not as many carbs. Seems that it might be alright to have a banana. Just don't eat 10.

It is food portion size and total calories that count, whether from carbs, or protein.

Let's see,

Banana 1 medium 80 cal. 20 gr. carbs

Apple 1 medium 90 cal. 23 gr. carbs

Durian 125 grams 165 cal. 28 gr. carbs

Grapes 130 grams 100 cal. 24 gr. carbs

Mango 1/2 medium 70 cal. 11 gr. carbs

Pineapple 125 grams 75 cal. 19 gr. carbs

Tangerine 1 medium 50 cal. 12 gr. carbs

Lychees 4 fruit 25 cal. 6 gr. carbs

The list goes on with the citrus and some of the Thai white fleshed fruits having the lessor calories and not as many carbs. Seems that it might be alright to have a banana. Just don't eat 10.

It is food portion size and total calories that count, whether from carbs, or protein.