New Nice Restaurant ..le Petit Paris

annabel

Well, we all like good food and good prices but are often dissapointed by the quality when the prices are affordable... Look no more ... I found a great little place called "Le Petit Paris"...run by a British national who has been a cook for the past 20 years in many places in Europe including France. Phillip is a great guy and super host who will personally attend to your needs and even special requests... His food is DELICIOUS and he does all the cooking HIMSELF ! Any time of the day you can have a great meal that will be up to the mark.... His breakfast menu, although I have not personally tried it sounds great and he vouches that people love having breakfast there and I believe him... I came upon "Le Petit Paris" one afternoon as I was walking around after being to Somphet Market and saw it and looked at the balckborad and thought ..Ok, I'll try it another time....Then one evening , my daughter and I were walking down that road looking for a place to have dinner quickly and not too expensive although neither of us were super hungy and again I came upon Le Petit Paris ....well I must say we ummmed and ouffed and looked at the menu from begining to end and just couldn't decide if we should try it or not...that's what happens when you're not that hungry...ya just can't decide on anything...anyway the Thai wiater was telling us to please come in and try some dishes and I said well , I want real French Food at which point Phillip himself appeared and started talking to us ....ok, well that was it...in we went and, I know this sounds crazy, but I wasn't that hungy at all, so ordered Frenh Fries .... :D ...And my daughter who also wasn't that hungry ordered a desert that Phillip made for her ....Stewed apples in a custard sauce ....DEEElicious ...however she got her dish after my F.F.'s and couldn't keep her hands off of them so had to order another round of them .... Yup , this is not good enough of a review ..I agree.....so We returned twice after that and a third time when my daughter brought her school friends there for a "Have a good Summer' farewell dinner ....

Sunday has nice specials, and anything else on the menu in the foreign food category is delicious and so affordable 120 - 200 Baht per dish...wine is also reasonably priced and anyway a meal for 2 including wine came to 650 Baht on a Sunday visit, and wow, I had a great meal and so did my daughter ....the success of a restaurant is not to please a customer with good food once , but all the time...and that is Phillips motto and mine too .....if I have one good meal in a restaurant and the ones after that are so-so only, then it's rubbish....once in a while there can be an off night ...but consistency MUST be there and at Le Petit Paris it is and I can vouch for that ...Ok , now go and enjoy it and let me know ...

It is on Ratwithi Road ....Up from St. Germain des Pres and before the Irish Pub .....it can be a little confusing as there is a Thai Bar/ restaurant really stuck to them on their left..... The decor is simple but pleasant and cozy .....I love it and am so happy I did finally go...I think what deterred me a little at the beginning was the Thai Bar / resto next to it which is a bit of a sore point to their image and I wasn't sure if they were associated or not .....Across the moat from Mike's Burger .....And Siam Commercial Bank is on the corner .... :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

annabel.

nice report and thanks for that but "Le Petit Paris" sounds french to me but the chef is english ?

im looking for someplace to better the beef stew in the old bell or mad dogs .... coz i ENJOY a good beef stew

does "Le Petit Paris" serve that ?

i wil take a look anyway but thanks for the heads up on a new place to try.

ps after having a minor stroke two years ago the doctor at ram told me to eat lots of fish .

if anyone knows where you can beat the fish at the un irish bar for quality .... i would be pleased to know.

coz i also like GOOD fish

dave2

Gatorhead is on another vacation from TV and he says that he can't get in the door any more at his favorite place. Maybe he will give "Le Petit Paris" a try.

Thanks for sharing Annabel!

Edited by Ulysses G.

annabel.

nice report and thanks for that but "Le Petit Paris" sounds french to me but the chef is english ?

im looking for someplace to better the beef stew in the old bell or mad dogs .... coz i ENJOY a good beef stew

ps after having a minor stroke two years ago the doctor at ram told me to eat lots of fish .

if anyone knows where you can beat the fish at the un irish bar for quality .... i would be pleased to know.

dave2

I don't want to start a new "Best Fish and Chips"thread..but IMHO THe RED LION has he best, also yo can get mushy peas ad they give you the Tartre Sauce BOTTLE...not just a little dish :)

ThaiPaulie, can you compare The Red Lion and Cheap Charlies Fish and Chips?

Also, give the Rose Guest house a try. They serve french fries instead of British chips, but they also use real cod, which is nice. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Well, we all like good food and good prices but are often dissapointed by the quality when the prices are affordable... Look no more ... I found a great little place called "Le Petit Paris"...run by a British national who has been a cook for the past 20 years in many places in Europe including France. Phillip is a great guy and super host who will personally attend to your needs and even special requests... His food is DELICIOUS and he does all the cooking HIMSELF ! Any time of the day you can have a great meal that will be up to the mark.... His breakfast menu, although I have not personally tried it sounds great and he vouches that people love having breakfast there and I believe him... I came upon "Le Petit Paris" one afternoon as I was walking around after being to Somphet Market and saw it and looked at the balckborad and thought ..Ok, I'll try it another time....Then one evening , my daughter and I were walking down that road looking for a place to have dinner quickly and not too expensive although neither of us were super hungy and again I came upon Le Petit Paris ....well I must say we ummmed and ouffed and looked at the menu from begining to end and just couldn't decide if we should try it or not...that's what happens when you're not that hungry...ya just can't decide on anything...anyway the Thai wiater was telling us to please come in and try some dishes and I said well , I want real French Food at which point Phillip himself appeared and started talking to us ....ok, well that was it...in we went and, I know this sounds crazy, but I wasn't that hungy at all, so ordered Frenh Fries .... :D ...And my daughter who also wasn't that hungry ordered a desert that Phillip made for her ....Stewed apples in a custard sauce ....DEEElicious ...however she got her dish after my F.F.'s and couldn't keep her hands off of them so had to order another round of them .... Yup , this is not good enough of a review ..I agree.....so We returned twice after that and a third time when my daughter brought her school friends there for a "Have a good Summer' farewell dinner ....

Sunday has nice specials, and anything else on the menu in the foreign food category is delicious and so affordable 120 - 200 Baht per dish...wine is also reasonably priced and anyway a meal for 2 including wine came to 650 Baht on a Sunday visit, and wow, I had a great meal and so did my daughter ....the success of a restaurant is not to please a customer with good food once , but all the time...and that is Phillips motto and mine too .....if I have one good meal in a restaurant and the ones after that are so-so only, then it's rubbish....once in a while there can be an off night ...but consistency MUST be there and at Le Petit Paris it is and I can vouch for that ...Ok , now go and enjoy it and let me know ...

It is on Ratwithi Road ....Up from St. Germain des Pres and before the Irish Pub .....it can be a little confusing as there is a Thai Bar/ restaurant really stuck to them on their left..... The decor is simple but pleasant and cozy .....I love it and am so happy I did finally go...I think what deterred me a little at the beginning was the Thai Bar / resto next to it which is a bit of a sore point to their image and I wasn't sure if they were associated or not .....Across the moat from Mike's Burger .....And Siam Commercial Bank is on the corner .... :)

Hallo ,sorry for this perhaps stupit :D question but............ in wich city is this restaurant ??????

Hey, advertisements growing bigger and bigger - still for free?
It's a restaurant review by someone who has nothing to do with it other than that she really enjoyed the food. Annabel herself is an excellent cook and has a very good taste of what food is good, edible or yuk.

Luckily there are also members who do appreciate it when someone tells others about a good place to eat.

If Annabel would go on and on about this place, it would be a different thing and I would have agreed with you. Not so now.

If you like french fries or stewed apples in custard this looks like the place to go
A little bit childish to pin on only one sentence in a review, don't you think? :)
............ in wich city is this restaurant ??????
Chiang Mai :D

I haven't eaten at Le Petit Paris yet, but after Annabel's review I will as I value her opinion on food.

If you like french fries or stewed apples in custard this looks like the place to go
A little bit childish to pin on only one sentence in a review, don't you think? :)

I think, Khun Nienke, you are misreading what I took to be nothing more than some amusing playfulness about the fact that these were the only dishes actually described by Khun Annabel in her review. :D

I haven't eaten at Le Petit Paris yet, but after Annabel's review I will as I value her opinion on food.

I haven't eaten there yet either. I don't know enough myself to value Khun Annabel's opinions about food, but I liked her enthusiasm and I do value your opinions about people (even though, or perhaps precisely because, you value dogs above humans). And with that, one last :D

It's a restaurant review by someone who has nothing to do with it other than that she really enjoyed the food. Annabel herself is an excellent cook and has a very good taste of what food is good, edible or yuk.

Luckily there are also members who do appreciate it when someone tells others about a good place to eat.

If Annabel would go on and on about this place, it would be a different thing and I would have agreed with you. Not so now.

I don't want to be disrespectful, but I have always wonder why normal members even care if a restaurant that someone genuinely likes gets "free advertising".

I can understand why the Thai Visa forum might dislike it as they are in the business of selling advertising. I can understand why a sponsor might resent a competitor getting free advertising when they have to pay for it, but, I don't understand what business it is of Joe Blow forum reader to get all resentful about something that should not bother them one way or another.

Can anyone explain that?

Edited by Ulysses G.

. . . I don't understand what business it is of Joe Blow forum reader to get all resentful about something that should not bother them one way or another.

Can anyone explain that?

I think Joe Blow is only rarely, if ever, involved, and that the answer lies elsewhere in your analysis. :)

............ in wich city is this restaurant ??????
Chiang Mai :D

I have to agree. It's when someone goes on and on, babbling in a drug or drunken incoherent stupor, that it gets real annoying. Or when competitors and jealous posters go on and on being negative about a place. Everyone has an opinion and it is good to find new and/or old places, restaurants or businesses. We are, after all, expats in Chiang Mai, predominately, and these are, predominately, expat businesses. Why not mention them whether they advertise with ThaiVisa or not and whether they give out free water or not. As long as there is not a long winded, babbling, incoherent, biased for one reason or another, idiot who is dribbling saliva while violently arguing about the positive or negative and who absolutley knows nothing about the subject except that they feel slighted or soiled in some inconceivable manner.

As long as there is not a long winded, babbling, incoherent, biased for one reason or another, idiot who is dribbling saliva while violently arguing about the positive or negative and who absolutley knows nothing about the subject except that they feel slighted or soiled in some inconceivable manner.

Hey, Mapguy has feelings too! :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

annabel.

dave2

I don't want to start a new "Best Fish and Chips"thread..but IMHO THe RED LION has he best, also yo can get mushy peas ad they give you the Tartre Sauce BOTTLE...not just a little dish :)

I tried the fish and chips at the Red Lion this past week. They were ok, but IMO the Irish Pub beat it hands down. The piece of fish is larger than I have ever seen and extremely tasty. Cheaper too as aI recall. For the more expensive fish and chips, the batter is the best at Dukes.

As long as there is not a long winded, babbling, incoherent, biased for one reason or another, idiot who is dribbling saliva while violently arguing about the positive or negative and who absolutley knows nothing about the subject except that they feel slighted or soiled in some inconceivable manner.

Hey, Mapguy has feelings too! :)

Sorry, but I was not referring to Mapguy nor to anyone in particular.

I

After your review of Annabel, I'll try Le Petit Paris too.

Also, give the Rose Guest house a try. They serve french fries instead of British chips, but they also use real cod, which is nice. :)

UG - Where exactly is The Rose Guest House? - Cheers

Also, give the Rose Guest house a try. They serve french fries instead of British chips, but they also use real cod, which is nice. :D

UG, thanks to you continually singing the praises of the fish and chips at the Rose Guest house I went there a couple of weeks ago. I would give them 2 out of 5, nothing special. I'm a Scot, so I know a thing or two about fish and chips.....

Cheers :)

Also, give the Rose Guest house a try. They serve french fries instead of British chips, but they also use real cod, which is nice. :D

UG, thanks to you continually singing the praises of the fish and chips at the Rose Guest house I went there a couple of weeks ago. I would give them 2 out of 5, nothing special. I'm a Scot, so I know a thing or two about fish and chips.....

Cheers :)

2 out of 5 is pretty poor...care to elaborate why so low?

UG - Where exactly is The Rose Guest House? - Cheers

I think it's on Ratchamanka Rd.

Is Le Petit Paris a French restaurant?

Of course not, it's Serbian/Ukrainian cusine! :)

The OP said that the cook is British and that she had stewed apples with custard (sounds like English food to me) so I'm a bit confused.

Edited by MonsieurHulot

Is Le Petit Paris a French restaurant?

Hi..ok, let me try to answer or tie up the loose ends...Mr. Hulot, No, it is not a so called "French Restaurant" ...if you go there you can ask Phillip to brief you on that....and how he started off and why it's called "Le Petit Paris" :D

Phillip is British but if you read my review it says:"British national who has been a cook for the past 20 years in many places in Europe including France." He is well versed with all kinds of international food, whether it be Italian, French and yes of course, British. He also had a B&B at one time where he offered Gourmet week-end specials. He would put together a 7 course gourmet feast for groups of 8-10 people at a fixed price and it included all the appropriate wines and aperitifs, digestifs throughout the meal.

Other than the French Fries and Stewed apples which was just to point out that this simple minimalistic choice was enough to make us come back ...that and Phillip's warm welcoming and interest in what a customer likes and dislikes and just his personal attention to details and presentation and knowledge of food...etc... It is nice to be able to talk to the chef / owner and know he doesn't take what you are saying with a grain of salt. I love to eat and appreciate good food, so I enjoyed talking to Phillip who could take the time to do so being that it wasn't very busy that night....He loves food and cooking and it shows and that is important to me in any restaurant...

I could have elaborated on the menu , but it is quite extensive and in any case, there is something there for everybody...He also has a Thai chef who does the Thai dishes. But ok, a little brief....When I went back for a proper full meal, I had one of the Sunday Specials = Roast Pork with Vegetables...excellent! great size portion cooked to perfection with a nice gravy and appetizing properly cooked veggies and roast potatoes ... my daughter who again didn't want a full meal had a "Croque Monsieur" ...again minimalistic choice, but delicious with wonderful nice fresh thick Bread, cheese and good quality Ham and plenty of both ...not a skimpy little flat sandwhich...she then had a Crêpe with Strawberry filling ....I din't get to sample that cause she just gobbled it down... :D .... I can also recommend his Coq au Vin....very, very good !!! to Dave...Beef Stew...?? I don't remember but if he doesn't have it on the menu and you ask him ...am sure he would do it and do it well that too! :)

There!!! Happy now.... :D:D:D

I am not promoting his business as I don't even know the guy ...well I didn't then....I just aprreciate a good place / person when I come upon one and why not share it with others who also like to try new restaurants...Gawd, you don't have to go and try it...in fact you don't even have to read the post....Byeeeee

Good to see someone who runs a resturaunt doensn't get into a huff about someone's simple choice. Now if it was someone who served french fries with custard we would know we have a typical inventive chef